We men can be our own worst enemies

I was intrigued by the photo on the cover of Thursday's Guardian, regarding the pro-choice protest that took place the day before. I didn't have an opinion on the matter of abortion before I saw that picture. If ever there was evidence that the debate is not between supporters of the rights of the unborn and those who simply want sexual liberation, but simply a war against womens rights... and not just reproductive rights, but all rights... it's the fact that I didn't see a single man. Wouldn't young men be more apt to support sexual liberation than the beautiful young women I saw, women who are clearly on the front lines regarding being stalked, catcalled, and discriminated against daily? Now, I am a man. When I am not working, I spend much of my time getting killed over and over again in violent video games. I also watch NASCAR, hoping to see a firey car crash, or UFC, hoping to see somebody taken out of the ring on a stretcher. Sure, part of our problem is indoctrination, but I'm also desperate for an emotional reaction, because I feel next to nothing. As long as we live this way, not only will we not live as long as women, but we can't be trusted with any kind of power over them or anyone else, and equality will be an elusive pipe dream.

• Abortion a medical procedure held hostage by religious brainwashed bigots who hold it over people's heads
    April 17, 2015 - 18:32

Out come the aluminum foil hats and the religious bigots who deny 50% of our province a medical procedure.Christianity is but one of hundreds or thousands of beliefs in this world.Which is the real one? which one has the ear of the big guy in the sky over the other guy, the supreme being who with the wave of a hand send your to a big fire in a place called hell,if you did not go by a book or books that were written by who ??? the supreme being? or did he dictate it to a person and they wrote it, or was it just written by a human being who invented this supreme being... and said it was needed to keep everybody on the straight and narrow......what about the muslims ,jews,islamics , buddists,....where do they go when they die ,....are they facing damnation ..a big fire ...no they pass away from life like the rest of us ..heaven,hell,nirvana whatever it is what your living it now....believe what you like ..but don't push it on all of us quoting someone who no one can say ever existed that sounds like shakespearean fairy tales......and it consumes your life ,giving you tunnel vision where your not allowed to have an open mind to how the world was created ...Darwinism..we evolved. Not some lightening bolt in then sky and guy standing on a mountain ready to receive the orders of the day ..plse plse ..get a life you have been brainwashed...religion has caused wars for thousand of years,it has divided families it has brought heartache all because of bigotry and discrimination...and when you quote this so called scripture..I have to wonder about your mental state.Oh and if you have not noticed as we evolve and experience travel the world ,use our instant communication and new technology it starts to make people realize the world is complicated place with millions of different opinions ,thoughts and ideas.....your stuck in a time warp, there are those of us who do not need religion to have calm,disciplined life,where love and caring and respect for others is possible .....that is not based on fairy tales where most of the believers have grey hair and are a dying breed like our church's..........who are falling by the wayside....Church's are a business ,they need money,they are incorporated,people make living at it,....it 's like franchise ,one fella is trying to out do the other fella for what.....more money ..the right to say were are the best the rest of you are atheists .....discrimination ,wars,alienation of people,abuse ..religion has done it ..and people are starting to see what it really is .....divisive.

• don
    February 17, 2015 - 14:21

this is very simple a unborn "child" has a heart beat then it is a living being. "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3) "For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9) maybe you all should read this and check it out. as one man said do not believe me believe the bible.The Bible never specifically addresses the issue of abortion. However, there are numerous teachings in Scripture that make it abundantly clear what God’s view of abortion is. Jeremiah 1:5 tells us that God knows us before He forms us in the womb. Psalm 139:13-16 speaks of God’s active role in our creation and formation in the womb. Exodus 21:22-25 prescribes the same penalty—death—for someone who causes the death of a baby in the womb as for someone who commits murder. This clearly indicates that God considers a baby in the womb to be as human as a full-grown adult. For the Christian, abortion is not a matter of a woman’s right to choose. It is a matter of the life or death of a human being made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27; 9:6).

• Louann
      January 26, 2016 - 15:39

Don, that's your belief, and you are free to believe what you wish! And what makes you feel good , and works for you. I will believe in what makes me feel good and works for me . There , we are in total agreement !

Bill Kays
      May 21, 2016 - 10:38

Don, you are absolutely right. This debate though is not about women's rights, it is about human rights. It is about the rights of a human being to live. What is missing in this debate is the Trinity, not the one most think of as Father , Son, and Holy Spirit, but the Trinity of FAMILY, God, husband and wife, with God as the head of the family unit. It was the destruction of the family unit through the pushing of programs through mass media to achieve this end. Homosexuality, trans-genderism, abortion, assisted suicide, etc etc, are not just an assault on our societal values, they are an assault on what used to be called the 'nuclear family'. http://www.naturalnews.com/054053_transgenderism_gender_confused_children_mental_health.html

Craig Elliott
    December 23, 2014 - 17:17

Thanks for your comment. I thought I should reply, because I felt you had a valid point in there somewhere. My description of how I spend my spare time and why probably made me seem like a bit of a psycho. And maybe I am. But I will say this in my defense: I used to be one of the sensitive men. Now that I have desensitized myself to violence through media, I am objective, I am no longer afraid, and I feel no animosity to you or anyone else who has a different opinion than myself. It doesn't matter what a person, sensitive or otherwise, says in print, no matter how benign its intent; there will always be a sensitive person somewhere who will take offence. I am no longer afraid to work, and my work now gives me plenty of exercise, so I don't believe I will necessarily be a statistic. No-one should attempt to make people who are completely different from each other all live the same way, and that includes the differences between men and women. Neither should decide for the other what they should do with their lives and bodies. It would be like you passing a law requiring me to eat ten grapes a day. I am allergic to grapes. Perhaps my objectivity makes me cold blooded. But we are presently living in a world where medicine and compassion could almost give everyone a chance at life. Even with abortion and the death penalty, this is eventually going to result in the necessity of mass cullings of human beings. Who would you chose to go? The unwanted in society? I'll let you in on a secret: my feet are planted firmly on the ground. I chose to play violent video games only because it desensitises me to the world out there. I barely watch any Television. When I do it is for a purpose, not for entertainment. Unlike you I don't feel that it is up to me to decide how other people should live their lives, but perhaps there is a lesson for you here. Feel free to have your opinion, and thank you for sharing yours.

Bill Kays
      January 06, 2015 - 14:40

Desensitized to violence. Just exactly what does that mean? Are you getting ready for the upcoming (ZOMBIE) apocalypse? Does it mean that you no longer care if people are slaughtered or what? Political correctness is an evil concept. Correcting each other helps us to improve our circumstances, if possible. Jesus corrected us and I give thanks to Him for that. His laws are the ones to follow. His rules are the sensible ones. REDDIRTTRUTH.COM

Bill Kays
    December 22, 2014 - 09:55

Listen bud, It is not a war against women's rights. I feel sorry for you and the 70 million aborted babies in the US and Canada since Rowe vs Wade. We have stalking laws, free speech laws, and laws against discrimination. How many charges did you lay against the stalkers, catcallers, and discriminators? As long as you live that way, stuck in your fantasy world of violent video games, etc. your life expectancy is not that great anyway. Look up the stats. The debate will continue as long as there are people who make the wrong choice.