Shania Twain gives fans show of a lifetime on Charlottetown waterfront

There are concerts and then there are concerts.

And then there’s Shania.

What Shania Twain gave her   23,000 fans in Charlottetown Saturday night was   for many of them the concert of a lifetime.

She was exciting, she was engaging, she was funny and she was incredibly entertaining.

And she was right there in front of you.

“I can’t believe she’s here, I can’t believe I’m here with Shania Twain, this is an amazing night,” said Jim Evaniuk, of Oshawa.  “We traveled all the way from Ontario for this show. I bought her first record, her last record and every record in between, and there she is, singing for me. Well not just for me, but it feels that away.”

The country music superstar pulled out all the stops for her Charlottetown audience, some of whom began lining up to get into the Charlottetown Event Grounds several hours before the gates opened in hopes of snaring a spot close to the stage.

If you went to Saturday's show in hopes of hearing Twain’s greatest hits you did not leave disappointed.

While she didn’t play every hit in her catalogue she played a lot of them, starting right out of the gate with I’m Gonna Getcha Good.

There were stellar versions of Any Man Of Mine, Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under, UP!, No One Needs To Know, I’m Outta Here, That Don’t Impress Me Much and The Woman In Me, just  to name just a few.

But the one that really nailed it for many in her audience was Man! I Feel Like A Woman, which she saved for almost the end of the show.

I suspect everybody who came through the gate had that one song they just had to hear to make the night complete.

For Denise Levesque of Bathurst it was From This Moment.

‘I so wanted to hear that song because it was played at our wedding,” Levesque said. “When Shania sang it I cried. It was beautiful, I think even my husband got teary.”

Personally I could have gone home happy after hearing Still The One.

Twain’s show was the total package, with 11 musicians, three back-up singers and six dancers, plus the high-end video package from her Las Vegas show and an elaborate lighting design.

It was as close to Twain’s Las Vegas show as you could get without actually being there, save of course for the fact there was no roof, no walls, no   indoor plumbing and I don’t think Caesar’s Palace sells poutine.

One man in the audience who’d seen Twain’s show in Las Vegas said the only thing missing was live horses.

But it truly was a spectacular event.

And despite the fact you were sharing the experience with more than 20,000 other people it had a very personal feel at times, particularly when Twain spoke of her childhood in Timmons and of the role her parents and her stepfather played in exposing her to the classic country songs of artists like Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson.

She also spoke of the role they subsequently played in pushing her to share her musical talents, although both of them died in a tragic automobile accident before Twain’s career off.

Twain paid tribute to her mother in song, performing an a capella version of The Hollies’ Carrie-Anne, which had been a favourite of her mother’s around the time her sister was born. That sister, Carrie Ann, joined her on   that number.

Twain waxed poetic from the stage about how much she enjoyed being back in Canada and how much she loved being in Charlottetown to help celebrate 2014.

“Charlottetown is beautiful,” Twain said. “It’s so tidy and the people are so friendly.”

She spoke of the magnificent view of Charlottetown she had from her suite at the Holman Grand.

Twain took many in her audience by surprise when she revealed this wasn’t her first show in Charlottetown, that she’d actually played a show in a city bar with a rock band when she was still in her teens.

Saturday night’s audience was well primed by the time Twain took to the stage thanks to solid opening sets by Summerside native Trinity Bradshaw, a rising country star, and Canadian pop/rock star Corey Hart.

Bradshaw opened the show with a great ripping version of Stompin’ Tom's Bud The Spud before settling into a set of originals that included a number of new songs.

She really hit the mark with her current single Never Drinkin’ Again.

Bradshaw was dynamic, she was into it and her enthusiasm for what the day held was infectious.

Corey Hart also took a run at Bud The Spud during his set before trotting out hits like It Ain’t Enough and Boy In The Box.

He closed with two of his biggest chart toppers, Sunglasses At Night, which elicited huge cheers from the crowd and Never Surrender..

Not averse to covering other artists Hart played a great cover of Rod Stewart’s Maggie May, the first record he ever bought, and Jim Croce’s You Don’t Mess Around With Jim.

Hart was very much on his game, sounding as good Saturday night as he did in his prime in the early 80s.

The concert wrapped at 10:30 but that was not the end of the day for Twain, who returned to the Holman Grand for a meet and greet with people who have supported her charity, Shania Kids Can.

Shania Kids Can is a program designed to help underprivileged kids at primary school level who are having personal problems at home.

Organizations: Charlottetown Event Grounds

Geographic location: Charlottetown, U.S., Las Vegas Atlantic Canada Newfoundland P.E.I Dartmouth

Comments

Comments

• Lizzie
    December 20, 2014 - 01:17

That's a really good picture of the Cellist behind and to the left of Shania in the first pic. She should crop Shania out for her FB. Jus' sayin'... (:

• Chinese Canadian Islander
    September 05, 2014 - 14:00

Hi J, I totally agree with you. In fact, I hate lazy people abuse EI policy. They play the EI game. road repair is just an example. Every summer time, I purposely watch how many young people Charlottetown downtown area, who all looks pretty healthy and energic , but they do not want to work and just idle with smoking and drinking and chatting and let one day gone. I ask a lot of people why they do not work. How to live and survive if not to earn morney. Surprisingly a lot of people spend their EI even they can find out job but not want to take. In winter time, much more people enjoy EI. I respect senior people working diligently even in winter time. However, I donot understand the young people keep idling and even take drug. For EI abuse problem, I talked a person who is working in service Canada. I asked to stop abusing. It was so sad when I tried to help a young couple with two daughers family to get a job. at Begining, he said he could not find out, when I found it , he did not want to take. The reason was too hard and easy to get EI than working . I asked the EI policy needs to be changed and do not give those who are able to get a job but not like to take. I became a canadian for 20 years, but I never stop working. I never want to take EI although I did qualilify for it. I hope Canada is diligent country but not lazy country to allow so many idlers. Each time, when people asked me how they can get EI, I always questioned: why you are thinking of getting EI ,why do nto you think of getting a job? IF every wants live on EI, who will pay those money to EI people?

• J
    September 04, 2014 - 13:52

Chinese Canadian Islander, I agree with you that hard work is necessary if a person wantsd to get someplace and that it is taught by parents. Many Islanders believe it is their right to work a few month each year and get EI the remainder of the year or welfare. the system is set up so that road crews work the required amount of weeks to get EI and then another crew is hired. I believe this explains why road repair projects take so long as they need to be stretched out to make enough work weeks. A couple years ago while visiting Toronto sidewalks on both sides of a street were torn up and replaced within a week, here a similar project took most of last summer to complete. If anyone agrees with my thinking feel free to reply. By the way, most Islanders are not overly ambitious people when it comes to working.

• Chinese Canadian Islander
    September 03, 2014 - 13:16

To be continued: From Shania's concert, we should learn sth. We should work diligently Do not to be too lazy , too relaxible, to do too easy thing, brave to face challenge. If you travel to China and look at any city anywhere, you will find people keep busy working hard and even you will see people walking on the street to move much fast than anywhere else. China has been growing at a speed of high-speed train ( they have 100K km of high speed train railway). Remember: Last year, it took over one month to path the damaged street with only 1-2 km for University Ave, but Chinese Immigrants laugh at the snail speed and said that it only took one night to accomplishe such small work if happened in China. Why we donot want to move fast. Why we feel at ease although PEI is very behind other provinces and other countries. We should be open to learn and introduce more telented and skilled people to live and work in PE I to change our island. Shania's concern is a big reflection on every islander including me.

• Chinese Canadian Islander
      September 03, 2014 - 14:29

Sorry, it seems the first part I wrote was unexpectedly lost. Let me try to recall what I said earlier: When Shania mentioned her success was ignited by her mom when she was 10 year old. It was her mom who gave her confidience, courage and even push her to perform on stage. Yes, Mom's push make her huge success. However, Many parents did not realize how important for their children to be successfull when they push them to study hard and try a lot of things in order to explore their potential. It seem guilty for us as parents to only let children play game and they never be conscious of studying hard and less playing. I do not recommend " tiger moher" in Yale University to all parents, but I want all parent to ponder why their children of tiger mother's parents are so successfull. To some degree, we , as western parents should lean how educate our children from Chinese education system.

• Chinese Canadian Islander
      September 03, 2014 - 14:34

it was a shame: When Shania randomly picked 5 audience to go to stage to take and enjoyed the moment, all of them came from out of island: NB, NS, ON, but none of them were from PEI. The concern was held in Ch'town, PEI, I wonder what % of islanders out of 23000 fans.

• Marie
    September 03, 2014 - 08:22

The grounds need to be bowled a little more. A slightly raised platform at the top of the bowl...along the fence( across from TH/W) for wheelchairs and disabled would be perfect to see over everyone else's head. We arrived late, by choice, with our sister in a wheelchair. Stayed close to the top, pretty hard maneuvering on grass with a wheelchair, and I was really disappointed to realize I couldn't see the stage OR the screens. I'm only 5 foot also, but for sure Leah, whom we know to be Shania's biggest fan, saw nothing from her chair except backs! Yes, some jerk's saying we should've came earlier. Disabilities and wheelchair life don't always work out perfectly like you. There were only 25 wheelchair spots and I'm sure anyone out in the crowd would know there were lots of wheelchairs on the grass too. For this I was disappointed. As far as Shania, she can take her hard luck story, her millions and her Vegas show back to Vegas. Concerts are about music, not a chat room! I'm sure she talked as much as she played! And don't be chewing strips off me...I like Queen!...Shania was for my sister! We bought our tickets and the souvenir junk like everyone else from our working wallets!

• Billy
    September 02, 2014 - 20:57

Great sound,no ticket hassles and somebody relevant unlike Summerside whom have geezers and country bumpkins....

• jeff l
      September 04, 2014 - 13:45

Pretty sure Brad Paisely is more relevant right now than Shania. Also Bryan Adams & Elton John are pretty relevant too.

• random
      September 18, 2014 - 10:02

actually.. summerside has already had people like alan jackson and toby keith, bryan adams and elton john.. we've even had small concerts with people like jason blaine, chad brownlee, dean brody.. and more...all more relevant then shania is right now, and also getting brad paisley in a couple of months..

• me
    September 02, 2014 - 08:12

Amazing concert, but the grounds are so flat that you couldn't see the stage. And could hardly even see the screens and I was pretty close. Hopefully they will do something about that for the next concert

• The Underhands
    September 01, 2014 - 11:28

I work as a stagehand on Shania's show here in Las Vegas. Shania is just the friendliest person of note I believe I have ever had the privilege of working with. She is engaging, listens to what you have to say and looks you right in the eye when you are having a conversation with her. Fred her husband is always shooting pictures, video and pulling audience members up on the stage to take part in segments in the show. Carrie Ann is also always very friendly and spends much time with the cast and crew just like she is one of us. The talented band and back up singers are no less approachable either. They always hang out with us regular folk as does Shania however Shania's busy schedule doesn't allow for much rest. She throws holiday parties that all the crew attend and Shania personally passes out gifts to us requiring only a kiss and a hug in return. She is a real gem and we will miss her terribly when her show ends in December. Shania wherever you head next we support you. Gary 7Ft Sauer for The Underhands.

• MagnumPEI
    September 01, 2014 - 08:17

1st message never made it, I will try again. I am glad a young Island native opened for Shania (Trinity). I am also Glad she gave homage to the true Canadian Troubadour Stompin tom. And I could hear the concert from my place on other end of Kensington road, so I know Shania was hitting the notes just right, even through the wind. Glad she did not disappoint. I will just ask next time Shania, just come to PEI for an incognito vacation...Its much better than describing Charlottetown through a hotel balcony.

• MagnumPEI
    September 01, 2014 - 05:36

Glad to see Trinity got to kick the door open...Wondering why after she did Bud the spud that Cory gave another run, there are tons of fantastic Stompin Tom songs?...anyway, Shania, next time you come, there is a lot more to PEI then the view from the Holman Grande Hotel. Sneak down for a vacation, lots of stars do incognito. That way you will know where your boots have been under :)

• stefano
    September 01, 2014 - 04:43

Always beautiful!!wonderful!

• ma sunshine spr recto
    August 31, 2014 - 21:42

shes very good singer.sexy,and beautiful.congrats my idol.keep it up.Godbless you always...

• D. Louise Reed
    August 31, 2014 - 21:21

...i had the priviledge of seeing Shania at the Palace of Auburn Hills...it was exciting and I had a blast..!!!...:)

• Lori Pourhosseini
    August 31, 2014 - 18:48

Will Shania be coming to California?

• Len
    August 31, 2014 - 18:06

love Shania and Her music,hope the show was taped for the less fortunate to enjoy.hope to see her in NL. some time.

• Len
    August 31, 2014 - 18:05

• Up on Cripple Creek
    August 31, 2014 - 17:20

Ok, I see some negatives here about the show and have to say it was well put together. People are organized, security was friendly and I had a ball with my family. Compare that to the celebration zone where nobody can answer a question, security are clearly untrained and rude and if it wasn't free I'd want a refund. I guess you get what you pay for. Now as for the handicapped person whining about the world oweing them everything, be real will you. I could see many folks in chairs and not up on the best handicap section I've ever witnessed at a show. They had some of the best seats in the house. As for no autograph, a star doesn't owe you one.

• Islander
      September 01, 2014 - 08:54

I beg to disagree with your statement about how she does not owe a autograph if it was not for her loyal fans like this women for all those years for a example she would not be where she is today something every smart entertainer knows. Not everyone could afford the tickets to her show but may have bought her music for years. Always remember the bridge that carries you no matter how big or famous you get.

• huh
      September 01, 2014 - 14:12

@Islander: while I agree with you to a point, I suspect people like Shania Twain can never satisfy everyone. My point is, she could have been engaging and accommodating to the first 999 people she met, but if she was off her game, and didn't meet the expectations of that 1000th person, then you get a post like what was written below. You can't please everyone 100% of the time.

• B.D.
    August 31, 2014 - 17:11

Loved her, what a show and a bonus to me was catching her top hat she threw to her fans.

• Alfreda
    August 31, 2014 - 16:53

Just for the record, - we spent 29 million dollars (probably more once it is all counted) to have all this fun (plus millions in the regular tourism budget for advertising), - so don't think it is all profit, ---- except of course for the few, for whom it is all designed so rake it in. ----- The taxpayers won't make a profit or even break even, I can tell you that.

• Doug McKenzie
      September 01, 2014 - 09:21

Well, we're glad that in addition to being a curmudgeon you are also an expert on tourism marketing and provincial economics, Alfreda. And apparently can predict the future. Congratulations.

• The Economist
      September 01, 2014 - 09:48

Alfreda - have you done a detailed study on the 2014 celebrations since if you have not then you should not be making statements on what this will do for the Provincial coffers. Events like this bring visitors who spend money at our businesses so the government gets sales tax dollars, corporate tax dollars and personal tax dollars from jobs created both from these visitors and from Islanders who in turn spend what they get - this is basic economics called the trickle down effect. It is not always about direct profit or breaking even - if it was then we should get rid of healthcare.

• lookin
    August 31, 2014 - 15:42

I met her & totally disappointed...read on.....Well I will be the honest one, The show was amazing from what I heard and could see, OUTSIDE the fence, and pics I saw. I was extremely disappointed there was talk of Shania one day and then seemed like the next tickets were on sale. I missed out on seating tickets....I can`t stand (bc of knee surgeries, but they never take that into consideration bc I`m not ¨officially handicapped¨) I wasn`t spending $100 to $300 and more on tickets that I would`ve had to stand for 5-6 hrs outside trying to see over 20,000 people (bc I`m also only 5ft). I got to see & hear what I did on the road for free! This is the fault of the concert venue`s. It drives me crazy!!! I never heard who was opening for Shania until they were on stage so there was little publicity about that. I did go and sit outside the Holman Grand for 2.5 hrs hoping to meet Shania & get an autograph for my daughters sweet 16th b`day... only to be totally disappointed again...It said the after party was from10pm til 1am, for $1000.00 you could go, well had I paid that ridiculous price I would have been so p.o, since Shania was only there for about 45 mins. As she left there was no crowd, a Cpl of us and we asked for autographs and pictures and everyone says how nice she is and she`s so sweet, well again for a small town girl who should know what it is like for someone like us Islanders to get a chance to meet someone like her, she coulda had a better attitude, I found her very unfriendly, impatient and almost rude, it was heartbreaking, I almost wish I hadn`t met her so my ¨idea¨ of her was better then the reality. And don`t message saying well she has tons of fans or she was probably tired or etc.. That`s her job! We fans make her as big as she is, and ya I could see it if there was like 30-40 people but there was less then 5...I don`t care how famous you get you`re still human, you came into this world naked and crying and especially artists who claim this ohhh how I struggled & life was so tough & I came from such a small town, (THEY should really relate & I would think be more humble, not play humble), these celebrities influence us so greatly, it saddens me they don`t realize it, the one person they brush off how they are affecting them...its a job they take too lightly. Ya can all hate on me I`m just sayin what no one else will, I`ve loved her for 20 yrs now & now my daughter does, I am extremely disappointed in Shania and I expected more from the lady from Timmons. :(

• huh
      August 31, 2014 - 18:55

there was substantial publicity about Corey Hart being the opening act.

• momx3
      August 31, 2014 - 19:58

You didn't even pay to see the woman's concert but then expected her to stand around chatting and posing for pictures in the middle of the night? After a high energy performance that most likely exhausted her?

• Dear lookin'
      September 01, 2014 - 02:37

Just when I thought I heard it all, I read your post. Congratulations on feeling entitled to everything you want, and how is that working out for ya?

• Sandra
      September 01, 2014 - 08:18

I thought her concert was excellent . We were standing all that time and I would do it again . You should off came in and paid to listen to her. Like a lot off us did. We came from NL and spent a lot off money . I hate when people put out negative shit .about her .

• Bill Meeker
      September 01, 2014 - 16:29

Lookin, what is like to be so intensely jealous of someone like Shania Twain that you would post such venom and hate on the web? If I was Twain's security chief I would be taking a long hard look at you and searching out your IP address and checking for police records. You are mad because you cannot afford the price of a ticket, that you have bad knees that make it hard for to you stand for long (although that did not stop you from hanging out at her hotel (another red flag for security because you sure don't seem like the usual fan who just wants an autograph). How is all this Twain's fault?You are also mad that she was at the reception for only 45 minutes (how would you know that if you were not at the event). I would say you blame a lot of people other than yourself for your failings. I say again that your rambling hate filled post should raise flags in the Twain camp.

• To lookin
      September 01, 2014 - 16:47

Just what an entertainer needs after giving a high energy performance- meeting some creepy person staking out her hotel hoping for an autograph! Her security guards should have cleared a path.

• CJ
      September 01, 2014 - 22:29

OMG. Do you always have this negative attitude. Do you think you have some kind of entitlement? Just go away and please take all your negativity with you. The world has quite enough of people like you.

• J
    August 31, 2014 - 14:58

She's from Timmins, not Timmons

• lookin
      August 31, 2014 - 16:55

Timmins is the only grammar error in all these articles? Please!! Grow up!! I`m speaking my opinion from MY experience!!

• lookin
      August 31, 2014 - 17:00

• Karen
    August 31, 2014 - 10:48

Charlottetown did Canada proud in 1864 and has certainly done it again in 2014. Bringing Shania back to Canada for her first outdoor concert in 10 years was a spectacular event and to finish with the fireworks display was awesome. Congrats to the organizers for an incredible job. Being at the concert last night was like watching someone you have known for a long time put on a perforce you will never forget while standing amongst a LARGE group of friends. Her hits were lots of fun and I think we can all take a message from Today Is You Day. Thank you Charlottetown and thank you Shania - I was a very proud Maritimer and Canadian last night.

• salih
    August 31, 2014 - 10:46

ı love you

• What a night
    August 31, 2014 - 10:37

What a wonderful night for PEIslanders and everyone who travelled here to see Shania in concert. It is a night many will never forget! Thank you Shania for putting your heart and soul into your music. You are truly a gift.

• Great for Economy
    August 31, 2014 - 10:13

This brought lots of attention to PEI not to mention $$$$. I hope they can bring Carrie Underwood here someday. Now that is a concert you will not want to miss. Saw her in St John and it was amazing.

• ALFREDA
    August 31, 2014 - 07:06

Thank goodness that is over, look forward to get Charlottetown back to normal after all ruckus this summer- anybody still remember Regis & Kelly???

• Doug McKenzie
      August 31, 2014 - 08:54

Yes, it's about darn time all these tourists went home and stopped contributing thousands and thousands of dollars to our economy. And fun?! Please stop having fun already Islanders! Don't you know Alfreda is tired of the ruckus? Jeez, you must be a blast at parties lady...

• Business Supporter
      August 31, 2014 - 09:31

This past summer has been great for PEI's and Charlottetown's tourism industry and these tourists spend money in our stores. Although at some times walking the sidewalks or driving the streets may take longer, if we want our businesses to succeed and taxes to be used to fund healthcare, education, etc. then we have to encourage visitors to our Island.

• John
      August 31, 2014 - 09:42

Yes I do, I was there and enjoyed it very much. And I have pictures to remind me.

• Lakeloonie
      August 31, 2014 - 12:30

Seriously Alfreda??!!!

• Jessica
    August 30, 2014 - 22:50

The grammar in this article is awful. Country music superstore? Really?

• Looking out
    August 30, 2014 - 22:36

I think you mean country music superstar not superstore.