Hurricane Bertha expected to miss P.E.I.

Dave Stewart
Published on August 5, 2014

Weather Underground tracking map of tropical storm Bertha, which is set to bring wind and rain to the region Wednesday and Thursday.

©Weather Underground image

It appears P.E.I. is going to escape hurricane Bertha's wrath.

And that will come as welcome news to Islanders following post tropical storm Arthur's visit early last month.

Arthur brought down power lines, snapped big trees like twigs, sank a boat at the Charlottetown Yacht Club and was a pain in everyone's backside.

Bertha, which is currently churning in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of the eastern coast of the United States, isn't expected to impact land in the Maritimes.

Chris Fogarty, manager of the Canadian Hurricane Centre in Dartmouth, N.S., said Monday that Bertha is now generating hurricane-force winds but the storm's track takes it well south of Nova Scotia.

"There is still a possibility it could come fairly close to Newfoundland with the interaction of the hurricane and a trough of low pressure,'' Fogarty said, adding that Islanders should still keep a close eye on the forecast.

"We don't have to look too far back to remember Arthur. It interacted with one of these troughs of low pressure and it caused a bend in the track and that's how things can really change quickly. We should be OK here in the Maritimes.''

Fogarty said based on the current track it should stay far enough away from the Maritimes that it won't have any affect weather-wise.

He said the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia will see some swell coming off the north end of the hurricane.

Islanders are advised to check the weather forecast a couple of times on Tuesday, just to be safe.

"These things can behave interestingly, even up to 12 hours before the storm hits.''

Bertha is expected to pass south of Nova Scotia Wednesday night.

The forecast for Wednesday in P.E.I. is cloudy with a 60 per cent chance of showers while Thursday is forecast to bring a mix of sun and cloud with a 40 per cent chance of showers.

Fogarty said the showers in Wednesday's forecast are not related to Bertha.