Double homicide case adjourned

Published on August 28, 2014

A forensic officer enters the home on St. Mary's Road West near Montague, continuing the investigation into a double murder at that location on Wed., Aug. 20, 2014.

©THE GUARDIAN/Steve Sharratt

GEORGETOWN — Two days after they laid relatives to rest, the family of both men shot to death in a double murder last week were in provincial court here Thursday.

Extra security was added to the Georgetown court house as Alfred Vuozzo, charged with first-degree murder of Brent and Brendon McGuigan, was expected to make a first court appearance and a volatile situation was considered possible.

However, while members of both families turned out for the court date, cooler heads prevailed and there was little trouble.

“No one was going to start any trouble,’’ said one friend of the family. He said everyone is hurting badly and they just wanted to see the accused.



However, 46-year-old Alfred Guy Vuozzo of Lower Montague did not show in Georgetown as justice officials kept him in custody.

Both Crown and defense lawyers made an appearance at 9:30 a.m. to advise Judge Nancy Orr that more time was needed to acquire complete disclosure of evidence before the tragic case could proceed.

Last Wednesday night, Vuozzo allegedly went to the home of 68-year-old Brent McGuigan on St. Mary’s Road and fatally shot both the father and his 38-year-old son Brent. St. Mary’s Road is about eight kilometres from Murray River.

Police didn’t arrest Vuozzo until the following morning around 7:30 a.m. and the senseless tragedy has caused outrage and disbelief. In 1970, the families crossed tragic paths before when an elder McGuigan (now deceased) was involved in a car accident that claimed the life of a nine-year-old Vuozzo girl.

The funeral for the two victims was held in Sturgeon on Tuesday.

Judge Nancy Orr adjourned the case until Oct. 9 and family members quietly departed the court house without incident.

It’s the first murder case in Kings County since a drunken Fred Sheppard killed his wife Kimberly Anne Byrne in their Cardigan home on Dec. 10, 2000. He was given 10 years for manslaughter.