UPDATE: Police charge Alfred Guy Vuozzo with two counts of murder

Suspect lived close to the home where the deaths occurred, on St.Mary's Road West near the intersection with Route 4, the Commercial Road.

Published on August 21, 2014

MONTAGUE – The RCMP issued a statement just after 9 p.m. today saying that charges of first degree murder have been laid against Alfred Guy Vuozzo arising from a incident Wednesday on St. Mary's Road West.

"P.E.I. RCMP Major Crime Unit brought 46-year-old Alfred

Guy Vuozzo before a justice of the peace in Georgetown this evening," said the statement.


"Mr. Vuozzo will make his next court appearance next week in Georgetown Court and was remanded in custody until his next court appearance," said the satement.

Two men, a father and son were killed at father's home along the rural road south of Montague.

The father and son were found about 9 p.m.

Vuozzo was taken into custody from a private home on the edges of Montague.

The arrest went without incident around 7:40 a.m. Thursday morning.

"(The suspect and the victims) are not related by family or marriage," said RCMP Sgt. Leanne Butler, media relations officer on Thursday.

The degree and manner of how they knew each other is still being investigated, she said.

"They did live relatively close to each other, 10 minutes apart," said Butler.

An emergency response team was called to assist, as was a forensic team and a police dog team.

According to police, there was never any danger to the public when a search was on for an assailant and they discount there was a manhunt as previously reported. However, the road was blocked off and it was later confirmed someone was being sought when information came forward during the course of the night.

Some bleary-eyed officers were having breakfast in a local restaurant here after a long exhausting night.

“I know them and they are good people,” one woman told The Guardian privately. “I’m related and something just went wrong and it`s a tragedy for the family and the community.”

One man stopped his truck at the edge of the roadblock at the corner of the Commercial Road and St. Mary’s Road Thursday and rolled down the window as if to talk to a reporter. But then he shook his head and drove away.

The remainder of the day saw forensic teams searching the crime scene for evidence at the house that was surrounded by a ribbon of yellow tape. The police did bring in dog units to assist at the crime scene.

“We are shocked such a thing could happen and extend prayers to the families involved,” said Mayor Richard Collins of Montague, which is about 10 kilometres away. “This would be something rare to happen in any part of this province and we share the pain and grief.”

In a release around 4 p.m. Thursday, police said they did not suspect anyone else was involved in the deaths. Autopsies are to be conducted by the Coroner’s Office to determine the exact cause of death.