Man who got electric shock in Murray Harbour moved out of intensive care

Ryan Ross rross@theguardian.pe.ca
Published on August 15, 2014

Murray Harbour

©Google maps image

A 74-year-old man who got a severe electric shock after cutting a live wire in an empty building will be getting skin grafts today after he suffered burns on his hands, according to his daughter.

On Monday, E.P. MacKinnon was allegedly gathering scrap metal and cutting wires in the old Mariner’s Seafood building in Murray Harbour when he was severely burned by 600 volts of electricity.

His daughter, Cindy MacKinnon, said her father is doing well considering his age and his heart condition.

E.P. MacKinnon was taken to hospital in Charlottetown but later transferred to Halifax where he was listed in critical condition.

Cindy said her father was moved from the intensive care unit Thursday morning, is scheduled for surgery today and, if everything goes well, his recovery is expected to take several weeks.

She also told The Guardian her father didn’t have permission to be in the building, but was thinking it was abandoned and would eventually be torn down or fall down.

He wasn’t trying to hurt anyone, but ended up hurting himself, she said.

The RCMP are investigating the incident.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross