This is the 11th anniversary of the Taste Our Island Award.
- At a glance
- Past winners of the Taste Our Island Award include:
- Maplethorpe Café, chef Dianne Linder;
- Merchantman Pub, chef Shirleen Peardon;
- Victoria Village Inn and Restaurant, chef Stephen Hunter;
- Pearl Café, owner Maxine Delaney;
- Papa Joes Restaurant, the Jabour Family;
- Inn at Bay Fortune, owner David Wilmer;
- Terre Rouge Bistro Marche, chef/owner John Pritchard;
- Shaws Hotel, chef Peter Angus;
- Mill at New Glasgow, chef/owner Emily Wells;
- Inn At Bay Fortune, with chef Michael Smith.
Adapt Council chairman Elmer MacDonald and executive director Phil Ferraro presented the prize to Chef Michael Bradley and The Table owner Derrick Hoare along with the seven other finalists. They include: Eden’s Gate, Chef Bobbi Jo MacLean; The PoleHouse Café at the Cardigan Farmer’s Market, Chef Leif Hammarlund; The Dunes Café, Chef Norman Day; The Mill at New Glasgow, Chef Emily Wells; Sims Corner Steakhouse and Oyster Bar, Chef Kyle Panton; My Plum, My Duck, Chef Sarah Forrester-Wendt and Papa Joes, Chef Irwin MacKinnon.
MacKinnon also won the people’s choice Award voted on by guests at the Roving Feast during the evening. Also participating in this year’s event was guest Chef Jordan Dennis who is the in-store chef with Sobeys. The Roving Feast is a Fall Flavours event.
The Taste Our Island Award sees the winner receive a full-page article in the 2017 P.E.I. Visitors Guidebook, valued at over $9,000. The runners-up are also featured across the bottom of the guide page. This prestigious culinary award was created by the P.E.I. Adapt Council and is presented in recognition of a restaurant’s outstanding cuisine, and its equally outstanding use and promotion of local Island agricultural products.
The winner and each of the runners-up receive an individual work of art created by Victoria’s Glass Studio commemorating their win. Ferraro congratulated the all the participants for supporting local agriculture and promoting Prince Edward Island. This year’s eight finalists were chosen from a field of close to 40 nominees.