Group intends to buy Rocket, keep QMJHL team on P.E.I.

Halifax Mooseheads forward Darcy Ashley, left, and P.E.I. Rocket Louick Marcotte fight for the puck during Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in this Guardian file photo.

A prospective ownership group has presented a Letter of Intent (LOI) to purchase the P.E.I. Rocket of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

The LOI has been presented to current owner Serge Savard Sr. and notification of the LOI has been filed with Gilles Courteau, president of the league. The group presenting the LOI has local provincial ties, and has solicited Island legal counsel to represent their interests in this process.

Summerside native Grant Sonier is representing that group and will act as the group’s spokesperson. Sonier has had a long career in hockey and was an employee of a number of NHL teams. He has held titles of assistant general manager in the NHL and has held various NHL scouting positions after his professional coaching career.

Sonier said in a news release issued after 5 p.m. Thursday, "I believe in the game of hockey and I certainly believe the province and the people of Prince Edward Island want to keep this major junior team here. I am excited about the prospects of the team being purchased and kept on the Island."

Sonier added, "There is no doubt that the people involved in this potential purchase will be visible in the community. We have a great deal of respect for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, the president's office, the league owners and specifically the Savard family. We appreciate all that the Savard group has done to bring major junior hockey to the Island.”

"The Savard family has the offer and it is our hope that an expeditious transaction will take place so that we can commence with the continued growth of this franchise as a premier team in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League."

More to come . . .

Organizations: Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, NHL

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, Summerside, North America

Comments

Comments

• Jim
    April 25, 2013 - 20:30

This is great news, and I hope the Rocket will stay in Charlottetown. The fans have been extra supportive over the years, all things considered.

• good riddance
    April 25, 2013 - 20:08

I'm a hockey fan but I gave up on the NHL after the 2004 strike. I gave up on the AHL back in the 1990s. And I gave up on the QMJHL a few years ago when I realized how bloody expensive it had become to watch mediocre hockey. And I don't care very much for the Maritime Junior A Hockey League. My preference is the Atlantic University Sport men's and women's hockey. I go out to a dozen home games a season and that's enough for me. Besides, with HST these days, my extra money is limited. I won't be crying crocodile tears seeing the Rocket go away.

• Matt
      April 26, 2013 - 00:36

You call youself a hockey fan and then proceed to list all the leagues you've given up on LOL. The QMJHL is not mediocre hockey. If you don't believe me, check out this year's NHL draft. Players ranked two and three and the number one ranked goalie in NA all play for a team in the QMJHL. A lot of players in the CIS are Ex-QMJHL players.

• salut
    April 25, 2013 - 18:15

Yip nah nah nah naa haa haha bye au revoir

• Don Deacon
    April 25, 2013 - 17:19

maybe a split between summerside and charlottetown will work better. Charlottetown does not support sports like Summerside

• realitycheck
      April 26, 2013 - 08:10

Don....let's stop buying into the MYTH of Summerside sports support. How many sporting events are on the S'side calendar this year? 17 sports events on the Charlottetown one and it's early yet. S'side built that myth up when they used to host the World Jr Baseball tournament for a while....where's that now? For a supposed big sports town they have trouble selling out a fancy new rink for a championship hockey team like the Caps. It took GM Pat McIver to go to the press and complain about attendance in the playoffs this year to get the crowd over 2,000 for the night they won the title....before that they were averaging 1,100 in that massive builiding. Also a number of Storm tickets were comps as well most of the season and definitely in their first year. A great sports town would've had D. Shaw sign a long-term deal to keep the Storm there, but they are always rumoured to move. A split will not work....fans from Ch'town are not going to drive 45 min there and 45 min back....especially on a dicey winter night.

• neil
    April 25, 2013 - 17:10

Summerside man interested ,do i smell something brewing is summerside i think so

• long time fan
    April 25, 2013 - 17:08

IF the Rocket/ Islanders do stay lets get out and fill the rink and show our support next season. Lets go boys get er done.

• THINK THINK THINK
    April 25, 2013 - 17:00

ATTA BOY!!!!!!!

• Frank
    April 25, 2013 - 16:48

Waste of Money, let them go!