UPEI names Bill Schurman as new athletics director

Bill Schurman

The University of Prince Edward Island announced today that sport promoter Bill Schurman will become its new director of athletics and recreation, effective Feb. 4.

Schurman most recently has been general manager of the Greater Summerside Chamber of Commerce and management consultant for the Summerside Storm professional basketball team. He also well known for having worked with the Moncton Wildcats and Lewiston Maineiacs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and for his tenure with the City of Summerside as director of community services and public relations and director of recreation and parks.

Schurman replaces Ron Annear who served as athletics director for the last eight years.

“UPEI is excited to welcome Bill to campus at a time where both the varsity program and recreation and wellness initiatives are well poised to move to the next level. We are confident that Bill has the right blend of vision and experience in sport administration to drive Panther Sport to new heights,” said Jackie Pdger, vice president of administration and finance. “We sincerely thank Ron for his leadership and are pleased that he will remain with the department and continue to play a significant role.”

Schurman played an active role in the initial planning and the opening of Credit Union Place, in establishing Summerside’s reputation as “Canada’s tournament town,” and for leading major events in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island such as the Memorial Cup, International Hydroplane Regatta and numerous national hockey, golf, and baseball championships.

“It is an honour and a privilege to have the opportunity to serve the UPEI community and to become a part of its rich athletic history. Throughout my career, I have been privileged to wear the logos representing many outstanding organizations committed to excellence. I will be excited to wear the Panther emblem and to continue the mission to be the very best,” said Schurman.

Panther Sport has student athletes, coaches and staff participating in nine varsity sport programs. Last year, a record 57 UPEI student athletes were named Academic All-Canadians by Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS).

UPEI has hosted national, and regional events including several CIS national championships, the 2009 Canada Summer Games, a variety of Atlantic University Sport championships and is the province’s most comprehensive community sport facility and destination.

Organizations: University of Prince Edward Island, Greater Summerside Chamber of Commerce, Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Credit Union Place Atlantic University Sport

Geographic location: Summerside, Canada, New Brunswick Prince Edward Island

Comments

Comments

• hockey guy
    March 05, 2013 - 14:54

What??? Did UPEI do a reference check on this guy? He will be short lived in this position just as most he has held. Completely rips the guts out of an organization. It's all about Billy. I really feel sorry for you guys. It WILL NOT be a pleasant ride.

• Number One Panther Fan
    January 18, 2013 - 20:01

UPEI has made a huge mistake. They were supposed to let Mr Annear go and keep Mrs. Boudreau. One worked her a-- off and one stood back and watched. Can't wait to see Ron running the half time shows! Good luck Mr. Schurman!

• Frederick Rubble
    January 17, 2013 - 16:12

UPEI athletics has been poorly operated for the past decade if not longer. This change will hopefully brings some professionalism to the department which was clearly lacking. The lack of a public search process is questionable. Possibly the leadership throughout the university needs to be re-evaluated.

• Panther Fan
    January 16, 2013 - 20:22

The sad part of all this is how it was not talked about that Lynn Boudreau would be losing her job with the department. The University seemed to skip that part of the media release. Bill may be great, and Ron will be fine, but things will not be the same without Lynn around each day. Thank you from this fan.

• Bee Concerned
    January 16, 2013 - 16:14

Be aware UPEI. Be Very aware.

• Panther Athlete
    January 15, 2013 - 17:36

Best of luck Bill.. you have big shoes to fill especially now that all eyes are on you - I have yet to hear a postive from any athlete at UPEI in regards to this news. (Not that it's his fault..) This really is a shame for anyone involved with the athletic department/alumni of UPEI.. Ron and Lynn knew every athlete by name and went to all ends to create a positive experience for them as student athletes. Without Lynn the department will fail miserably - take it from us athletes who experience the department first hand! Awful decision.

• UPEI Athlete
    January 15, 2013 - 12:22

Letting Lynn go was a huge mistake on UPEI's part, she did almost everything at the athletics department from organizing athletic events to running the half time show at basketball games. The athletics department will be a mess without her. It is very unfortunate the way things were handled. All athletes are hoping the University realizes what a mistake they made and Lynn will brought back to UPEI athletics as she should be

• boondoggle
    January 15, 2013 - 09:43

It is unfortunate that Ron and Lynn were treaded on in such a way to bring Schurman in. I'm sure Bill is great, but that doesn't justify treating excellent, devoted staff they way UPEI has. The almighty dollar is what drives UPEI now, while ethics and the people who make the place successful are dispensable.

• Summerside Resident
    January 15, 2013 - 08:18

What a shame for Summerside to lose such a key player and supporter. Mr Schurman has done a great many things in his career and UPEI is incredibly lucky to have him. I and many others will miss his presence in Summerside. Congrats Bill!

• Charlottetown resident
    January 15, 2013 - 05:50

UPEI is lucky to have an such an accomplished individual. I didn't know Ron- but I do know Bill and I have no doubt he will do incredible things for UPEI.

• alumni
    January 14, 2013 - 22:58

Was Ron aware this was going to happen? And did Ron take over Lynn's job? What happens to Lynn? Fill me in if possible! Sorry to say, but good luck running things without Lynn. She does a lot of behind the scene work and is ALWAYS a pleasure to meet on campus. That being said, I wish the new guy all the best .

• alumni also
      January 15, 2013 - 09:19

Lynn is currently unemployed. Since Ron is protected by his union he was able to take over Lynn's job. ( His old Job ) Hopefully UPEI will find a position for her, she has always been a fresh and pleasant face around UPEI and all the activities that go on. Ron certainly won't have the same drive.

• Rottluff
    January 14, 2013 - 21:25

Obviously, Mr. Schurman has a great deal of university experience. He'll do just fine .... ooops, sorry. I was hallucinating.

• humane rezourse
    January 14, 2013 - 21:22

That's funny, I subscribe to the UPEI human resources job postingsl, and I missed this employment opportunity. Had I known they were looking for a new Athletics Director, I would have thrown my hat into the ring. Oh yeah, I forgot, it's UPEI. People are disposable. One day in, next day gone, with no explanation. Bit of a morale buster, but at UPEI the Administration gets away with it. I wonder if it's any different at Holland College?

• Athletic Guy
    January 14, 2013 - 21:20

What a shady process! Why was this job not posted? So many pople talking about this today. My annual contribution to UPEI is done. I'm ashamed to say I'm a graduate.

• Graduate
    January 14, 2013 - 20:35

I am apalled on how this personnel matter has been handled by such so called learnet people. It seems to me that they hired the new Director before Mr. Annear was asked to step aside. This is totally unprofessional and I expect better from my alma mater. As a graduate of Upei , I will no longer donate financially to the University. I hope more business graduates also show their displeasure.

• EddieP
    January 14, 2013 - 18:47

I kind of thought Ron Annear was dedicated , open-minded, competent and very capable in the role . I am not sure why a change was deemed necessary . I believe the Administration should inform the athletes, supporters and the general public has a right to know "why"this decision was made !

• PANTHER
    January 14, 2013 - 16:56

Maybe we can finally get some WOMENS action recognized in sport now... BRING ON A VOLLEYBALL TEAM!!!

• panther
    January 14, 2013 - 16:25

BRING BACK LYNN!!!!

• PANTHER
    January 14, 2013 - 15:51

BRING BACK RON!

• Guy Currie
    January 14, 2013 - 14:58

How does this work in a unionized environment? Never saw this advertised! - Looks like Island Politics

• nepotism and patronage
      January 14, 2013 - 16:30

Yessireee Guy. It is good ol' boy PEI politics at its finest. Nepotism, patronage, graft and corruption. PEI does it best. Just look at how the premier has doled out his buddies into the civil service and granted them directorships, etc. Not a trace of merit in any of those appointments either.

• huh
      January 15, 2013 - 14:23

No merit?? I think Schurman is quite qualified for the job. And its the university that doles out these appotinments, not Robert Ghiz.

• john macdonald
    January 14, 2013 - 12:07

When was this advertised? I am a follower of UPEI athletics and this is the first I heard that they were looking for a new athletic director? Were their stories in the media that the search was on? What happened with the previous one? What is the back story, other then a press release? More info please.

• Jack Mason
      January 14, 2013 - 19:35

UPEI no longer bothers with official searches; they just appoint whomever they want to the position.