Two people arrested after two Nova Scotia schools shut down

Jennifer
Jennifer Hoegg
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Police presence could be seen at the entrance to Cambridge Elementary Feb. 25. Students spent the afternoon in lockdown after a threat to a student was received at the adjacent Central Kings Rural High School.

RCMP investigating threat made in text message to Annapolis Valley high school student

CAMBRIDGE, N.S. — Two-and-a-half hours after students at two Nova Scotia schools were placed under lockdown, the precaution was lifted and two people were arrested.

The lockdowns had been put in place at Cambridge Elementary and Central Kings Rural High School in the Annapolis Valley at 12:40 p.m. Tuesday.

RCMP confirmed that two young people were arrested without incident, nowhere near the schools. Police say it is too early to determine if criminal charges will be laid. The investigation is continuing.

Nova Scotia RCMP’s Sgt. Alain LeBlanc confirmed that officers were called to the Cambridge schools after a threat was received by a high school student nearly an hour earlier. He could not say what the nature of the threat was.

“This relates to a student that received a threat… in the form of a text,” LeBlanc said.

A release issued by the RCMP indicated the text was received at approximately 11:55 a.m.

“We don’t believe the suspect is on school property. That’s what we’re trying to confirm. We’re trying to assess any threat."

Parents were told not to come to the site.

“We’re taking this very seriously. Our goal right now is ensuring safety.”

RCMP had several resources at the schools and a police service dog was called in to assist with the investigation. Police do not believe the suspects ever entered the school property. 

Kristen Lloyst, spokesperson for the Annapolis Valley Regional School Board, said students were in a "hold and secure" at both schools as of 1 p.m. Hold and secure is the term used to describe when doors are locked so no one can come or go through them, she explained. Regular classroom routines had resumed.

Lloyst said that no threat had been made to Cambridge Elementary, but the lockdown was implemented at the elementary school next door as a "precaution."

The AVRSB announced at 2 p.m. that Cambridge Elementary would be dismissed at the normal time, with RCMP officers remaining on site to assist and ensure student safety. 

Cambridge students who normally walk home were instead bused home as a precaution.

At 2:30 p.m., the board announced the lockdown had been lifted and dismissal at Central Kings would proceed as usual.

As of September 2013, there were approximately 775 students enrolled at Central Kings and 201 at Cambridge Elementary.

Organizations: RCMP, Annapolis Valley Regional School Board, Cambridge Elementary

Geographic location: Nova Scotia, Annapolis Valley, Cambridge

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • dave anger
    February 25, 2014 - 14:54

    these kids should be banned from owning a phone for 2 years