House Speaker admits accessing PNP units under Tory government

Teresa Wright

House Speaker Kathleen Casey admitted she received immigrant money through the Provincial Nominee Program after questions were raised by Opposition member Jim Bagnall in the legislature Friday.
Bagnall dominated Friday's question period, asking each Liberal MLA and cabinet minister if they or any member of their family ever accessed PNP units.
Questions cannot be posed to the Speaker directly, but Bagnall still asked about Casey in a question to the premier.
Premier Robert Ghiz did not divulge whether any MLA has received PNP funds.
In an interview after the house session however, Casey admitted she did, in fact, receive provincial nominee units for her company in 2007, but it was under the previous Conservative government.
"As a private citizen and prior to my election as an MLA under the previous administration, I did participate in the program," Casey said.
"Under the conflict of interest act, I am obliged to make a spousal disclosure, which I have done," Sean Casey told The Guardian.
"Although my wife has decided to pursue a career in politics, I'm not comfortable discussing private business in a public forum so what I had to disclose by law is contained in the (public disclosure) statement."
That document lists only the businesses and assets retained by Kathleen Casey and her family members. It is not required to contain anything about such things as the Provincial Nominee Program.
Sean Casey, a lawyer with Stewart McKelvey in Charlottetown, was formerly the president of the Liberal Party of P.E.I. He currently has a number of incorporated businesses of which he owns either all or part of the shares.

Organizations: The Guardian, Liberal Party of P.E.I.

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• It all
    June 21, 2010 - 20:27

Now we know why Casey put her referee's whistle in her pocket when Sheridan and the other MLA's started catcalling and bullying over PNP questions being asked and not answered.

• The rest
    June 21, 2010 - 20:22

The most important detail of the story is near the end.

..But when asked if any member of her family or if her husband Sean Casey had accessed PNP money under this administration, neither Casey nor her husband would answer.

Saying no is a pretty simple answer if the answer is no. Sounds like another graduate of the Robert Ghiz School of Transparency.

• Do we really trust
    June 21, 2010 - 20:15

Why all the secrecy? This is a program that was heavily directed by government. They -the provincial government - made 10's of millions on this program. People like Sean Casey who think it ethical, to hide behind the Freedom Of Information Act, only convince us of the rot that is at the very core of this Ghiz Government. there appears o be one government for the privileged and another for the rest of us.

• It should not be private
    June 21, 2010 - 20:10

I'm an immigrant. I really don't understand this country. How can who receives money under government programs be considered private information. It is absolutely impossible to find out who receives government grants or loans. It is absolutely impossible to find out who does not repay those loans, or what recipients of grants go out of business. How do we know if these programs are successful if we don't know who succeeds and who fails? How many times do the same people go back to the public trough? oink oink.

• albertan
    June 21, 2010 - 20:05

We ship you money all the time, and you still have the highest social assistance in Canada if not the continent. I thnk you had better consider your words before you point to a small group of supposedly corrupt people among the oh so honest and responsible rest of you.

• I.P.Nightly
    June 21, 2010 - 20:02

Something STINKS in Charlottetown, and it isn't the waste treatment plant....

• Magnum
    June 21, 2010 - 19:37

Recent immigrant, your vision is keen and your analysis is wise - I'm afraid, however, that this is a problem which you may, alas, only resolve, once again, through immigration - PEI is a centre of extinction to paraphrase the words of Alfred Randal Walace. The PEI government is not corrupt, it simply does not work at all. Good luck!

• corrupt, corrupt, corrupt
    June 21, 2010 - 19:36

For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. This is disgusting. This whole government needs to go. I'm disgusted and embarrassed that I voted for them. I won't make that mistake again.