Pregnant thief to spend more time in jail

Ryan Ross

Pregnant thief to spend more time in jail

A pregnant woman whose baby is due at the end of April was sentenced Tuesday to serve 60 days in jail for stealing clothes from Sears.

Amy Pickett, 36, appeared in provincial court before Chief Judge Nancy Orr for sentencing after pleading guilty to the theft and a probation breach.

The court heard that on Dec. 3, 2015, Pickett went to the Sears store in Charlottetown, put clothes in a bag and tried to leave without paying.

Store security confronted her and recovered all of the items.

In total, the clothes were worth $412.95.

Pickett, who was in custody on another matter, had a 29-page record dating back to 2012, which included 17 prior convictions for theft.

Before hearing her sentence, Pickett read from a letter she wrote, saying she stole the clothes because Christmas was coming and she was trying to get nice things for her kids.

"I had allowed my life to fall into crisis," she said.

Pickett also said her doctors think the baby might come early.

Orr said the theft wasn't a minor offence and involved some level of premeditation.

She sentenced Pickett to 60 days in jail for the theft, to be served consecutive to any other time, and 30 days for the probation breach to be served concurrently.

Pickett will also have to pay $200 in victim surcharges.

She will be back in court April 29 on other matters.

Organizations: Sears

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• fred
    March 25, 2016 - 07:58

What a joke of a justice system. 17 prior theft convictions and god knows what else; She gets a 60 day sentence . Out of that 60 days she will have to serve 40. Who said crime doesn;t pay.Some countries you get caught steeling ; you loose a finger.They would have to cut her arms off at the shoulders ; then start with her toes.When the baby is born ; someone should steel it and do both of them a favor.The courts should of taught her a lesson after the first theft .

• Ally
    March 24, 2016 - 22:48

I've been in this situation with no way to provide for my children and it is very difficult. I hope she finds help.

• Joe Doe
    March 24, 2016 - 22:23

I FULLY AGREE WITH CONCERNED,GIVE THE POOR CHILD A CHANCE IN A GOOD HOME.

• Malpeque Mariner
    March 24, 2016 - 16:50

This woman needs help. It is obvious she isn't getting any. What is the court doing to get her help? Instead of handing out sentences. Get back on track, lady and keep your child and be an adult and mother the child can look up to.

• david
      March 25, 2016 - 09:44

TO'Malpeque Mariner so your saying to help her for what reason should the tax payers pay for her stealing' what if she went to your home and stole stuff what would you do 'well sense you the big man you pay for her help 'they need to put her in jail and who ever steals needs to be put away 'how about you letting people no were you live so they can help them self 'to your stuff .................................''''''''''''''

• concurrently
    March 24, 2016 - 13:24

Concurrent sentences are the most idiotic thing introduced to Canadian law. Basically two crimes for the price of one. Is jail supposed to be twice as difficult if you are sentenced to the "same 30 days" twice?

• Molly
    March 24, 2016 - 13:23

So by reading a newspaper article you came to the conclusion this mother should give her baby up for adoption ? Now to start off I would like to say I don't agree with her crimes or her lifestyle. Now by saying that I believe this women needs recovery and support not critism and shame on you for your judgement. Children do best in their biological families unless it is unsafe or unhealthy to keep the child with their family but even than authorities make efforts to provide support to make the home safe and healthy for the child. As my mother always told me if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. If someone was to look into your background I'm sure you had made mistakes. Like everyone including this mother she is paying the price . your comment is very disgusting to me and if you stood behind it you wouldn't say it under an annoymous name. As a island we should just hope this women finds support and recovery for her lifestyle and not determine her as unrecoverable because everyone can make a positive change I believe in this message so I'm not afraid to leave my name Molly Nielsen

• Danny Harding
      March 25, 2016 - 00:20

I too am not afraid to leave my name. 1 or 2 thefts then ok. 3 or 4 then maybe there's a chance. But 17 prior theft convictions that we know of????? Come on????? I understand your concern and comment of how we all made mistakes but when do we draw the line of just mistakes to career criminal. I think her sentence was too light. And as for adoption well we do have foster homes here on pei that can look after them till she gets back out.

• Concerned
    March 24, 2016 - 07:56

Put the baby up for adoption. It will not have a nice life with this mother.