Vice-principal needs to go say parents

Jim Day

This photograph shows the interior of Stonepark Intermediate School.

Some parents are calling for a Charlottetown vice-principal to be booted out of school after the man pleaded guilty to harassment charges.

“I can’t imagine any parent wanting him to remain in the education system here,’’ says a mother of two students attending Stonepark Intermediate school.

The woman says her daughter was “outraged’’ to learn of vice-principal Gregory Campbell’s criminal conduct.

Campbell, 55, pleaded guilty in provincial court last week to two counts of criminal harassment.

His victim testified in court last Wednesday that after ending her relationship with Campbell, the educator embarked on an obsessive campaign to communicate with her and rekindle the relationship.

Little more than two hours into the first day of the trial, Campbell pleaded guilty to one criminal harassment charge that deals with repeatedly communicating with the victim.

When the second day of the trial resumed Friday, Campbell pleaded guilty to a second criminal harassment charge that dealt with repeatedly following the victim.

The Crown stayed a breach of undertaking charge.

Provincial court Judge John Douglas ordered a pre-sentence report be prepared for a sentencing hearing on March 8.

Parents of students attending Stonepark Intermediate want the school and/or school board to deal with Campbell now.

One mother expects the vice-principal to be removed from the school, but she is not sure of the process involved.

“It concerns me but I’m sure they’re taking care of it,’’ she said.

“My own personal feeling,’’ added a woman as she waited outside Stonepark Intermediate to pick up two grandchildren, “is no, he should not be teaching at the present time.’’

One father of two children attending the school, however, said he would be comfortable with Campbell carrying on in his current capacity at the school, which (at least in the past) included teaching a healthy relationship program.

While some parents said they believe Campbell is on leave, The Guardian has been unable to learn his official status with the school.

Stonepark Intermediate principal Norman Beck also declined comment.

Campbell’s home number has been disconnected. He was either not home or refused to answer the buzzer when The Guardian visited his apartment Monday afternoon looking to ask some questions.

Organizations: Stonepark Intermediate school, English Language School Board Cynthia Fleet

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Rob
    April 28, 2016 - 10:48

I was sure a few years ago, a pricipal in kensington was put in jail, had liscence revoked , kicked out of school and had name run through mud for similar thing

• clarification needed
    January 27, 2016 - 10:11

I thought that one of the last things Hal Perry did was abolish the English Language School Board. Wade MacLauchlan was standing beside him when he made the announcement. So why does this article reference the ELSB when it no longer exists? ''Superintendent of Education for the English Language School Board Cynthia Fleet said.... ''

• Chris
    January 27, 2016 - 07:36

I have a record and was just refused a job that has nothing to do with the work.The guy here has charges possibly relating to his work-healthy relationship course and may keep his.I can't even be angry just have no faith in common sense amymore

• itchy bee
    January 26, 2016 - 23:44

If I wanted to volunteer to give out juice at the school, I would have to go through a criminal background check (and prove that I have no criminal history). However, the VP himself is immune from such public scrutiny because the union seeks to protect its members regardless of their conduct.

• Concerned parent
    January 26, 2016 - 20:08

As a parent with kids in stonepark, I feel that people that have the job of educating our children should act as role models to the students. I hope my children and any other student that goes to that school does not look up to him and the disgraceful things he did. He even had a class teaching healthy relationships to kids. I feel without question he should not be allowed to have his job back.

• Joe Doe
    January 26, 2016 - 12:48

POOR GREG.

• UPWESTER
    January 26, 2016 - 12:45

Superintendent of Education for the English Language School Board Cynthia Fleet said since it’s a personnel matter, she is not able to provide comment........... It is not a personnel matter, it is a criminal matter.

• UPWESTER
    January 26, 2016 - 12:38

If this story was on EI, you would have about 100 posters by 6 am. Of course he has to go. This man is a menace and a danger to your children. How can a convicted criminal be in charge of your children in school,wheras if he was applying for a job in the oil patch, they wouldn't hire him. He has shown that he is not in control of his emotions and cannot be trusted around vulnerable children.Sad but true.

• ConcernedIndividual
    January 26, 2016 - 12:11

This has to be taken seriously! Debbie Holmes/Barry Bradley, 2001!!!

• J
    January 26, 2016 - 12:10

My god you guys are nosey. I know your reporting but my gosh you called him realized he's probably being harassed by people calling 24-7. And if the fact he disconnected his phone didn't make a big enough point that he doesn't want to be contacted you than proceed to his house and ring his buzzer!!!! Haha. Like he's gonna talk to you guys..... Let's hear some real news for once.

• to J
      January 26, 2016 - 17:46

"...probably being harassed.." imagine how the shoe is now on the other foot?

• Seriously?
    January 26, 2016 - 11:24

This defies belief that there is a question about this person retaining his position???? Are there no standards in place for criminal convictions, ensuring that such persons are not employed by the school system??? Don't you need a clean criminal background check to even be a volunteer in schools or at school events?? More craziness from the administration of schools in this province!!!

• Ben
    January 26, 2016 - 11:10

GIVE HIM THE BOOT!!!!!!!

• Kelli Lawrence
    January 26, 2016 - 10:51

I'm sorry but at some point in ALL our lives, we have had to deal with not so pleasure behavior choices we personally made in our life. This man clearly was distraught over the ending of a relationship. To say he's not fit to be a teacher is crazy. Give him some time off maybe to help deal with the loss. Throwing stones at glass houses comes to mind here.

• Give Your Head a Shake
      January 26, 2016 - 17:51

"not so pleasant behavior" "distraught" then engages in criminal behavior...Please begin to understand the difference between the two! He needs serious counseling!

• Disgraceful
    January 26, 2016 - 10:41

I hear he's a chaperone on the grade 9 trip? Hopefully not.

• Stonepark parent
      January 26, 2016 - 21:08

My child is on that grade 9 French trip and no Mr. Campbell is not on it. I completely understand why the school would not allow him to go but I feel bad for everyone involved. If the school decided to keep him on as vice principal, I would be fine with that. I will leave that decision in their hands. I refuse to be one of those dramatic, self righteous parents.

• Parent
    January 26, 2016 - 10:28

We as parents must remember our children take first priority. Mr Campbell obviously got wrong legal advice to drag this throught the courts. Seems he is still in denial. Very serious matter for a person in trust and I agree he has to be terminated

• Ad hoc
      January 26, 2016 - 19:04

@parent; He didn't "drag" anything through the courts. He appeared in court, as he was required to do, and plead guilty straight away.

• jane
      February 02, 2016 - 11:39

He did drag it out in the courts for 7 months, it was adjourned 8 times and he was on his 3rd lawyer as first 2 wanted him to plead guilty long before this as the evidence against him was overwhelming substantial. Believe me I know I am a close acquaintance of this victim!!!!!!!!!

• Amy MacDonald
      February 05, 2016 - 14:33

Jane - I was in court the day Campbell pleaded guilty. You appear to have your facts wrong. Campbell has yet to present his side and I look forward to hearing it. This sounds like a relationship gone bad from what I am hearing. We all have been in relationship break ups and have texted in the heat of the moment. All I got to say is that we are certainly spending a lot of tax payer money on a case that should have been settled by the Crown within the first month. Perhaps you should try pointing your finger in a different direction on this one, by the sounds of it, your acquaintance is not being truthful with you.

• TA
      February 09, 2016 - 09:29

amy, campbell did PLEAD guilty, so that is how he has presented his side, case is over, sentencing for him is next, not an opportunity to present his case, if you were in court as you say you would know this! "Texting in the heat of the moment" is not grounds for pleading guilty to 2 counts of criminal harassment, so guess you dont have your facts straight, better get back to the basics of law amy!

• Fed up
    January 26, 2016 - 09:49

We have 3 Grandchildren attending Stonepark and feel Mr Campbell faced up to what he did wrong and will most likely find some councilling.. I see no reason for the man to lose his job. Perhaps a LOA to find some help with his addiction. He deserves some understanding - the same as anyone with an addiction!

• PEI RESIDENT
      January 28, 2016 - 16:03

THIS DIDNT HAPPEN IN THE SCHOOL .IM SURE HE IS GOING THROUGH A BAD TIME DONT KNOCK HIM DOWN ANY FURTHER .I DONT SEE ANY REASON EITHER FOR THIS MAN TO LOSE HIS JOB HOPE ALL WORKS OUT FOR HIM I FEEL BAD FOR ALL INVOLVED

• Gideon
    January 26, 2016 - 09:30

These parents are being ridiculous. If he was doing his job before all this happened than thats all that matters. Im sure he's not the only teacher to have dramatic relationship drama, only his is being aired publicly. I completely agree what he did was wrong, which he admitted to doing and will be judged by the courts. He obviously was doing a good job as vice principal and his personal life behavior was not affecting his jon performance so that's all that should matter. Im sure all these parents if they are professionals as well have some skeletons in their closet too that could be used against them if it got out.

• jane
      February 02, 2016 - 11:55

Are you serious, he PLEAD guilty to counts of criminal harrasement after it being adjourned 7 times because he kept switching lawyers, he is the one that drug it out in the courts then put the victim on the stand for half day before pleading guilty to first charge then 2 days later his lawyer tells him he has no choice to plead guilty to second charge, he has a criminal record, NOOO, he should not be allowed to teach children!!!!!!!!!

• Woman
    January 26, 2016 - 08:44

I'm dismayed to read that the one MAN questioned here sees no problem with this teacher staying on to influence this vulnerable age group...and teaching them relationship skills to boot! Isn't this just a continuation of the issue that sees men not taking seriously the rights of women, and most importantly, the right to say no?? What kind of message are we sending to young boys about how they can treat women, with little or no consequence?? Letting this teacher go would send a very strong and much needed message!

• I'm a woman too
      January 26, 2016 - 22:12

I have a child in grade 9 and I agree with the "MAN". What kind of message am I sending my son...forgiveness.

• Paula Dixon
    January 26, 2016 - 08:30

Interesting how the public will jump on the bandwagon to persecute another. Do these parents know the whole story, Maybe he was the bigger person and took the blunt of it. he chose to do that way rather than start a blame game. I'm sure that it takes two to tangle. This was a love affair gone wrong. Has nothing to do with his abilites at work. Let he who has not done wrong cast the first stone!

• laurent Beaulieu
    January 26, 2016 - 08:29

The response of a small group of parents appears confuse. A vice-principal is an administrator not a teacher. His Court case has nothing to do with his job. Not sure School Board can do anything about this because it's two different things. Legal ground may be shaky on this one.

• jane
      February 02, 2016 - 15:40

he teaches "healthy relationships" to junior high students, so yes he is a teacher!!!!!

• Pat
      February 07, 2016 - 07:13

As a parent at this man’s school, I took the time to look up online the grade 9 health curriculum because I take my child’s education very seriously. There are three units covered in grade 9, wellness (personal health -drugs, safety and responsibility at work, sexual health -protection), relationship choices (interactions) and life learning choices (learning strategies, life goals and career development and volunteerism). I guess the healthy relationships that you refer to Jane is actually called relationship choices and it is really only a small part my child’s health education this year. I have no problems with having my child learn with this teacher and my child is quite happy in his class. As a parent, I also discuss relationship choices with my child for that is my job!

• Carey
    January 26, 2016 - 08:26

I wonder if Mr. Campbell is enjoying the harassement of having to hide out in his house because his name is all through the media. Karma is an itchy bee, as they say. Looks good on him.

• Tom Paine
    January 26, 2016 - 08:18

Good luck getting rid of anyone in the education system. Unions and politics rule. Competence and (in this case) morality be d**ed.

• don
    January 26, 2016 - 08:10

has he hurt any of the kids? has he broken any of the rules of the school? then the lady that wants him out i would like to see how many parents has broke the law and if they did put there kids out of school or have the parents bared from the school for life..

• UPWESTER
      January 27, 2016 - 10:36

Don, as usual you are on the wrong side again. He was convicted of two CRIMINAL CHARGES ! You cannot have a criminal record and hold the position that he holds. A school bus driver must not have a criminal record to work there, why would a vice-principal not be held to the same standards? So yes, he did break the rules of the school as well as the rule of common sense.

• Bryan
    January 26, 2016 - 07:45

This will be the first test of the department and minister, now that there is no school board to pass the buck to. Let's see if they have the fortitude to do what is required. Of course, this person is still covered by the collective agreement between the Gov't of PEI and the Teachers Federation, so there are guidelines that MUST be followed so parents and the public at large will need to be patient to actually see the final outcome of this situation.