McDonald's in Stratford serves raw Chicken McNuggets

Doug Gallant
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

These raw Chicken McNuggets were purchased last week at McDonald's in Stratford.

This Happy Meal did not live up to its name.

Kaylee Foote, 22, of Stratford didn't feel like cooking after a busy day last Wednesday so she pulled into the drive-thru at McDonald's in Stratford.

She ordered a Happy Meal for each of her two daughters: one meal was with a hamburger, the other with Chicken McNuggets.

Foote told her children to wait until the family got home before digging into the meals.

When the family sat down to eat, Foote's five-year-old daughter quickly found her meal to be quite an unhappy experience.

"She just bit (into a McNugget) and spit it back out and said 'this is gross,''' said Foote, who recently graduated from the bioscience technology program at Holland College.

"I was mortified because working in the science field I know how bad salmonella can be (salmonella infection is usually caused by eating raw or undercooked meat).''

Foote says roughly half of the chicken nuggets was raw while the other half was cooked.

She immediately called the restaurant about the incident.

The person who took her call merely thanked her for the heads up.

There was no apology, no offer of compensation.

"It was pretty irritating, especially when it is raw chicken,'' she says.

Foote's brother took the raw chicken into the restaurant and spoke with the manager.

"I was mortified because working in the science field I know how bad salmonella can be (salmonella infection is usually caused by eating raw or undercooked meat).'' Kaylee Foote

The manager reimbursed the family for the cost of the meals.

Fortunately, Foote's daughter did not become ill after chomping into the raw chicken.

Still, Foote would like to know how the raw chicken ended up being served. She would also like to know what the restaurant did after learning of the incident.

In a statement emailed to The Guardian Monday, David McKenna, franchisee for McDonald's restaurants in P.E.I., said food safety is a top priority.

"As a local franchisee, I take matters of this nature very seriously and have very strict policies and procedures in place to ensure my guests receive the highest quality products whenever they visit my restaurants,'' says McKenna.

"I was disappointed to hear of this experience, and as soon as my restaurant team was made aware of the incident, we launched a full investigation. These incidents, while unfortunate, are isolated. In addition to the investigation, I have taken immediate action by reviewing the proper procedures with my team to ensure it will not happen again.''

Organizations: Holland College, McDonald's

Geographic location: Stratford

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • truthbetold
    January 13, 2016 - 17:11

    Raw nuggets vs deep fried, both devoid of nutrition, AKA the McEnema

  • Customer
    January 12, 2016 - 21:32

    I think many employees are younger and new to the workplace , and mistakes do occur. We were all once there. More training during recruitment might help with an emphasis on food safety. I noticed in one restaurant the tables are often sticky , and rarely wiped so I carry Purrell and clean my area. No one wants to get ill, and it begins at basics. And periodic inspections and enforcement. Busy is busy, but time needs to be regularly put to details of food safety. .

  • Joe
    January 12, 2016 - 12:09

    Calm down folks. There are children in this country being neglected and abused. It's a mistake by a person trying to earn a lining and not laying around home drawing ei. Have Merci.

  • bob loblaw
    January 12, 2016 - 10:48

    Not really sure why this is even news, especially not front page. They are an employer of hundreds of islanders. So there was a break down in procedures, it happens. Relax. Your kids gonna be fine. Get off Facebook for minute and cook a home cooked meal if it's that big a deal.

  • chris
    January 12, 2016 - 09:51

    Sounds like McDonalds in Stratford needs to learn how to deal with incidents. The Stratford location is NOT one of their better locations I personally avoid it after several bad experiences there and terrible customer service.

    • Big D
      January 12, 2016 - 10:52

      I stopped going to the Stratford McDonalds when I ordered a mocha and got a snicker over the speaker from the worker and what I got was slop. At the Stratford Subway I got what seemed like rotten onions on a sub. What is it with Stratford and poorly run fast food restaurants? Is it the same owner of both locations I wonder?

  • Even If They Were Cooked Properly ...
    January 12, 2016 - 09:26

    ... they would be GROSS! Why do parents feed this stuff to their kids!

  • wendy
    January 12, 2016 - 08:32

    I had this happen at Wendy's in Summerside (uptown). I got all kinds of apologies but still don't really know how I was served a raw chicken strip

  • FFS
    January 12, 2016 - 07:34

    This story is ridiculous. It's just somebody looking to make an extra buck due to a mistake made by someone else. Does the woman involved honestly think that the company or individual tried to harm her family. The risk of salmonella would be next to zero. The food in question is precooked. Do your research.

    • Annoyed with peoples ignorance
      January 12, 2016 - 12:45

      Honestly the things people say is it really worth saying how would you like to be fed raw chicken it's lucky nothing happened to the kids I don't assume it was ever posted for money as there is no mention of it basically it's public knowledge to warn people to check your food it shouldn't be something to just brush off as it happens because it shouldn't happen.