P.E.I. woman raising concern over ER treatment following medical abortion

Teresa Wright

Colleen MacQuarrie, spokeswoman for the P.E.I. Abortion Rights Network, speaks to the media Friday.

A P.E.I. woman suffering complications from a medically induced abortion says she was sent home from the emergency room at the Island’s main hospital Thursday after receiving no care or information.

The woman, whose identity The Guardian has agreed to protect, was prescribed a legal abortion medication by a local doctor earlier this week, and was told by this doctor to go to the ER if she experienced any problems.

The next morning, the woman realized things were not progressing normally.

She called 811, the province’s emergency information telephone service, and explained her situation. She was told to go to the emergency room immediately.

“I got treated pretty poorly as soon as everyone realized why I was in there,” she said.

She waited for five hours in the waiting room of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown. Eventually she began to suffer cramps and bleeding. She says she informed the nurses of this change in her condition, but says she was not reassessed.

When she finally saw a physician, she says all he did was look at her chart and did not perform a physical examination. She says he would not tell her anything about her condition or even the results of a urine test.

“Basically he just flat out said there was nothing that he could do but he was going to talk to the gynecologist because maybe they’d prescribe some more of that medication,” the woman said.

“He came back 10 minutes later and said, ‘Neither of us feels comfortable dealing with this situation, there’s nothing we can do. If you want, you can go to a clinic over in Halifax to get looked at.’”

She went home with no idea of the status of the fetus or of her own health.

“I had no idea what was happening inside of my body and no one would tell me,” she said.

“I’ve never been disregarded like that. You’re like a piece of trash; you’re not important because you made a decision.”

She took to social media, reaching out privately to a trusted network of female friends for help. They reacted with horror at how the woman says she was treated at the QEH. They immediately sent messages to Health Minister Doug Currie and the P.E.I. College of Physicians and Surgeons expressing their concern.

On Friday, the P.E.I. Abortion Rights Network held an emergency meeting over the matter, after which they held a press conference and released an open letter to Currie and Premier Wade MacLauchlan calling for better, more dedicated access to information for women seeking abortions and for a policy framework to be developed for women seeking medical abortions.

P.E.I. does not offer surgical abortion services and is the only province in Canada that does not offer this procedure.

“If we had access to safe abortion services in the province, this woman would have been able to access the service she needed with the kinds of supports in place to create that care,” said Colleen MacQuarrie, spokeswoman for the P.E.I. Abortion Rights Network.

MacQuarrie conducted a research study last year that concluded P.E.I.’s diminished access to abortion services have led to some risks to women's health due, in part, to some women attempting to self-abort.

She says she has heard of other women who have received similar treatment to the woman interviewed by The Guardian.

“We recognize this is a symbolic issue of what’s wrong with the system when women need serious post-abortion care or follow-up care during a medical abortion.”

Health Minister Doug Currie says he was initially highly concerned when he received messages on social media, but after following up with officials at the hospital, says he feels all proper protocols were followed.

“I was reassured that no one was denied or turned away from the emergency room (Thursday) night,” Currie said.

“I was reassured that the standard quality of care was followed and I continue to be even more motivated to work with stakeholders to continue to remove current barriers that are facing Island women that are looking to access this service.”

twright@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/GuardianTeresa

Organizations: P.E.I. College of Physicians, The Guardian, Queen Elizabeth Hospital P.E.I. Abortion Rights Network

Geographic location: P.E.I., Iceland, Charlottetown Halifax Canada

Comments

Comments

• Jeffrey Olsson
    May 25, 2015 - 10:32

Living in PEI is like living in the middle ages. Women lack basic medical services and the Church runs everything. The arrogance and lack of empathy of some of the commenters posting on this story is shocking. This women made a tough decision and the Doctors did not give her the information she needs to care for herself.

• Mary MacDonald
    May 24, 2015 - 11:36

Two sides to every story hers/hospital and what about the babies side.....worried about her welfare again what about the babies! Just trying to make it look real bad so they can get the abortions on the Island. Think of all the babies that have been born because they couldn't get them aborted here, talk to them and see how happy they are with their babies and thankful they didn't get a abortion.....

• Sam
      May 25, 2015 - 10:24

Think about all the babies that were born and are now in poor living conditions (if they are even in an actual home), with poor early childhood development, because the parents that were forced to have them don't have proper resources, or the maturity to raise a child properly. Not saying abortion should be used for an "easy way out", but there is more then just right and wrong here in my eyes.

• Kathy Moore
      May 26, 2015 - 19:55

You are forgetting one important factor. It is legal to get an abortion in Canada. Doctors, nurses, and politicians don't get to weigh in on a moral judgement here. The only legal right here was with the patient, and she had horrific care.

• Anne
    May 24, 2015 - 10:55

You are lucky you only had to wait four hours in the emergency room for a non-emergency. You don't have a complaint there. Most have spent 7-12 hours for emergencies. The urine test said you were still pregnant. They don't perform abortions on PEI. The only thing the doctor could tell you is to go to Halifax. This is protocol. Why do you think you should be treated different than any other person who goes in the ER?

• Jen
      May 26, 2015 - 13:14

Actually, an incomplete abortion or incomplete miscarriage can be a very serious emergency, as it can cause the woman's death. This is why she was advised by two medical professionals to go to the ER in the first place.

• rudy cosby
    May 24, 2015 - 10:24

Humans; stardust with a heartbeat. A loving species shrouded in disheartening beliefs and opinions. The first step to change is awareness. Are you aware of the changes that are happening around you? Are you will to accept those changes? #OldWorld

• Roger
    May 24, 2015 - 10:01

Only confirms why so many refuse to get medical help on PEI. Attitudes from the dark ages laden with sexism and hate. Don't get sick and expect care in PEI.

• intobed
      May 24, 2015 - 15:21

Oh garbage. In the last fifteen years I have been to the Emergency at the QEH several times, most recently with my mother who is in her 90's. Every time we have received excellent care, compassion, and were well looked after. Of course, each time we were there was for a legitimate emergency, and the triage nurse was good at doing her job. After two hours in the exam room, with x-rays and blood work done, the triage nurse came back to see my mom to see how she was doing beofre the nurse finished her shift. The doctor was very helpful, and the follow up report was at my mother's family doctor in two days, along with x-rays. While the staff try to give equal treatment to everyone, your attitude towards them will determine just how compassionate towards you will be.

• Probably because...
      May 25, 2015 - 12:34

..you didn't get an abortion, and they didn't have bias/sexism/ageism towards your mother. Probably because they were perfectly fine dealing with that, but they are not comfortable- and they show it through their mishandling and mistreatment- with abortion. You can't say, "oh, they're fine" without ignoring that they have a serious bias problem- of course you had a stellar time! "Of course, each time we were there was for a legitimate emergency, and the triage nurse was good at doing her job." Oh-- good thing an abortion isn't a legitimate emergency, which is presumably what they deal with.

• Confused
    May 24, 2015 - 09:12

Is their two different women with the same issue? The guardian posted a picture with a young couple with the same headline , but the woman who is posting her story on Facebook is not the same?

• Islander Mom
    May 24, 2015 - 08:22

Do you realize how expensive it is to keep a specialist and staff operating on Prince Edward Island? I know what is it like to wait for the opportunity to meet with a pain specialist. I know what it is like to race after an ambulance heading to an off Island hospital while a family member is seeking a heart specialist. I also know what it is like to be put on a waiting list for back surgery off Island. Not to mention, heading to Dartmouth to have my child get oral surgery for his wisdom teeth. I don't hear as much public outcry for the many people in need of these services. If there iis enough demand, let a private company come in and fill the need.

• Why, Guardian, why?
      January 30, 2016 - 18:57

You're not very well versed in this subject. There has been a study that says the province would SAVE money by providing these services here rather than to outsource them to other provinces.

• My thought
    May 23, 2015 - 22:26

The premise behind an "emergency" department, is for doctors to work saving lives. Anyone who has had a miscarriage, knows there is cramping, bleeding, and pain while the body is expelling a non viable fetus. Now take a pill and force your body to terminate a living fetus. I would only imagine the pain would be "unnatural". Since the doctors could not "save" the life of the child you don't want, a walk in clinic may have been able to help you or a pharmacist in taking something for your discomfort. Just my thought.

• That Nurse
    May 23, 2015 - 17:01

An emergency department has a triage system. Perhaps there was a car accident with 7 critically wounded people dying while a man in the next room was having a heart attack and in yet another room had a seizure patient. Patients are triaged according to urgency of life. Frankly, women are often sent home to pass natural miscarriages and told to come back if the dead fetus doesn't pass. While an incomplete abortion, natural or induced, is nothing to muck around with, it is hardly a life threatening emergency unless the woman had other symptoms. It may have been a busy time in the ER and she took lower priority. I have seen people with a common cold scream they had to wait while a mother and father bid goodbye to their dead child hit by a drunk driver. So yeah, the doctor will tend the most critical patients. This actually sounds like a half true story. When she shows her medical records I will believe her. But, it still isn't about induced abortion.

• Island Mother
    May 23, 2015 - 16:09

This might be a post which won't gardener me a lot of support, but here it goes. At the moment, in our province, there are no abortion services. If you wish to terminate a pregnancy there are options. On the Island we have access to the morning after pill, in some cases D&Cs are an option or you can travel to an off Island clinic or be referred to an off Island hospital. I have no issue with any of this. Do you realize how expensive it is to keep a specialist and staff operating on Prince Edward Island? I know what is it like to wait for the opportunity to meet with a pain specialist. I know what it is like to race after an ambulance heading to an off Island hospital while a family member is seeking a heart specialist. I also know what it is like to be put on a waiting list for back surgery off Island. Not to mention, heading to Dartmouth to have my child get oral surgery for his wisdom teeth. I don't hear as much public outcry for the many people in need of these services. A woman went to the ER after taking Doctor prescribed medication to end her pregnancy. She was concerned something was wrong. The Doctor examined her and said, "You are still pregnant." What was she expecting him to do? Was she wanting the Doctor to give her more medication to terminate the pregnancy? It sounds like, at that point, the Doctor did not deem her as having an emergency. I have to agree. The ER is for medical emergencies, it isn't a medical clinic to walk in and request to terminate your pregnancy. If it were, sadly the department would be over run. I appreciate the fact the couple decided they cannot afford another child, when they are stuggling to keep themselves and two children on a limited budget. I appreciate the fact that they don't want to go on welfare. I don't want to see them on welfare either. Too many already live on welfare as a lifestyle. I would rather see my tax dollars spent keeping people off the system and helping those who need it. I also don't want to see my tax dollars spent paying for a specialist, when there are lots of specialists available only a short drive away. I would rather my taxes pay for emergence care at the emergency department. And before anyone jumps all over me for not knowing what it is like, you have no clue what it was like walking in my shoes when I also found myself in an unexpected pregnancy. I am Pro-Choice, because for some of those poor children, they might be better off not growing up in the environment they would be brought into. In many cases, because too many use a new baby as a way to live off a system. Mainly because, it's your body and you decided how you want to live your life with it.

• Jillian
    May 23, 2015 - 15:23

Well...I have had two natural miscarriages (meaning I wanted to keep the baby but the baby died naturally). Each time, I waited a very long time in the ER and the attending doctor always called a gynecologist to deal with what I was going through. Even then, there is nothing they can really do other than give medication or do a D&C. I don't understand what information she expected. Typically the first doctor who prescribed it would probably have told her the medication may not work. Perhaps she is more mad at the attitude of the Doctor?

• Paul Nelson
    May 23, 2015 - 15:23

Why is everyone acting like this is a story about abortion? This is a story about a hospital not treating what might be a serious complication from a legal medication. Put your biases aside, and look at what this is. Much like the doctors should have done.

• Respect
    May 23, 2015 - 14:50

I was treated pretty rudely by a staff member in March , called a derogatory term, and wrote a letter, which I thought was what the hospital advises people to do with any concerns. It has been some time with no acknowledgement of the letter or any return remarks or inquiry to me. While it had nothing to do with abortion , it was a remark made that should never have been by a staff member to a patient when they are down and ill. Respect should work both ways , patients respecting staff and staff respecting patients. On the other side we applaud the staff who are respectful, but sorry that there are some who may lack the same. It sure does not add much to a reputation of the E.R. in the community.

• @if true
    May 23, 2015 - 14:07

were you there in the room when they conceived? maybe they used a condom and it broke, birth control is not 100% , sometimes it happens

• bIGDAD
    May 23, 2015 - 14:02

I think the newly appointed Premier of PEI needs to step up and address this issue. I am sure he has faced discrimination throughout his life, and to allow this woman to be discriminated against because she took a morning after pill is just plain cowardly. Premier Wade MacLauchlan, it is time to step up and protect the rights of our daughters, wives and sisters. Just as many have fought for your rights.

• bIGDAD
    May 23, 2015 - 14:02

• realist
      May 23, 2015 - 20:32

Well said

• what about the hippocratic oath ?
    May 23, 2015 - 14:01

these two doctors should be named, and disciplined! time to drag pei into the present day with the rest of canada and give women the help they need and deserve

• Lola
    May 23, 2015 - 12:01

Why does everyone feel that someone else's business is their own? Shame on anyone speaking out against this young woman. Go mind your own narrow-minded business while the rest of us speak up for what is right and fair.

• Confused
      May 23, 2015 - 14:43

I am not judging the lady nor commenting on whether or not she received good treatment. However, in my opinion, if she is not prepared to listen to comments made on both sides, she should not have put the story out there, but should have dealt with it in a more private manner

• Paul Nelson
      May 23, 2015 - 15:20

@confused She did something that is legal, why should she belittled for it? This needs to be brought to the public's knowledge, your comment is ridiculous

• @confused
      May 24, 2015 - 08:44

I agree with you.

• Just A Opion
    May 23, 2015 - 10:02

I read in the comments that a Doctor shouldn't have the right to not take a life . Just when did it become necessary that if you become a Doctor to save lifes that you also have to be willing to kill . This in my mind is just the opposite of why most of these people become Doctor's in the first place . Killing should not be a requirment of the trade . To be a good Doctor , helping is the calling in most cases .

• Ae
      May 25, 2015 - 20:20

There are very many areas of medicine in which to specialize. If a potential doctor doesn't wish to perform abortions, why wouldn't he or she go into oncology, dermatology, neurosurgery, cardiac surgery, or one of the many other fields in which abortion is virtually never relevant? Why not become a pediatrician? What could be more philosophically removed from abortion than specializing in helping sick children? Doctors who go into areas they know perfectly well will involve reproductive health, they strike me as being like a Jehovah's Witness somehow being hired to work in an ER and subsequently refusing to be involved in anything involving a blood transfusion, or a female firefighter insisting she be allowed to fight fires in a skirt because her particular religion is against women wearing pants. I mean, if someone shows up to the dentist and demands an abortion, obviously the dentist isn't required to oblige. That was not in the job description. But going into a field involving reproduction and pregnancy knowing full well some of your patients will want to abort, that's just selfish. And not to mention a waste of medical training.

• Family of the patient
    May 23, 2015 - 09:50

My cousin has just suffered this terrible ordeal and is still dealing with medical and emotional trauma. I'm reading the comments below regarding people not believing the story, criticizing her spelling, etc. Shame on you and the Queen Elizabeth ER. My cousin has a fiance and two children. Her fiance has been working out west to support his family. She works full time to help support her family. He has lost his job and with her pregnant again, would have to stop working. To make the decision whether to go on welfare and have others support you or have an abortion and support the family you have is not one taken lightly! They have to live with this impossible decision for the rest of their lives. No one has the right to judge, especially doctors! Yes, this is a true and very sad story. As for the spelling, my cousin is an education woman that "knows" how to spell. She is in a very emotional state right now. Picking at her spelling.....shows how small minded you really are. Sad, very sad.

• If True
      May 23, 2015 - 12:34

I'm assuming since both were working , birth control or safe sex wouldn't be impossible for them to be using if they were being responable for their own actions . Abortion is a damm expensive means of birth control that you are asking the rest of us to fund .

• Kelley
      May 23, 2015 - 13:47

I feel terrible for your cousin and hope that she knows there ARE people on the Island (and one Islander living in Toronto) that support her and are fighting for her right to choose. I doubt that she's the only one turned away and she was brave to say something. I don't need to know her name, it's no one's business. She needed help and did not receive it. That's what we should all be focusing on.

• Sarah
      May 23, 2015 - 15:06

You don't have to explain any of that. The fact is, right or wrong, and regardless of how "I" feel about it, she made HER decision based on HER life. "I" am not such an expert on this world or on anyone else's life that I should get to make their decisions for them. That's a very dangerous thought, that someone could come into my life and start making my decisions for me and whether I agree with them or not. It's amazing to me how people can show such compassion for a child who isn't even in this world, but a woman who is here, who is struggling through life the best she can, and who is in such obvious pain, is treated like garbage. How do you explain that one at the Pearly Gates?

• NoName
    May 23, 2015 - 09:37

Why didnt this woman give her name? sounds like a typical PEI case- exaggerating facts and not giving names

• Lola
      May 23, 2015 - 12:05

"NoName", I think you are being a bit of a hypocrite.

• Are you kidding?
      May 23, 2015 - 12:29

Why didn't she give her name? Because bigots like you would make her life a living hell if she did. It is terrible, but true. She is being extremely brave for even talking to the media anonymously.

• j
      May 23, 2015 - 12:52

and NO Name your the perfect example, I don't see your name, put up of shut up!

• Because people gossip?
      May 23, 2015 - 14:36

This island is gossipy as hell. Everyone knows someone who knows you. You know damn well why you would want to retract your name from this story. I speak as a student who has gone to school for journalism-- people in stories have every right to not include their name, and newspapers have to uphold that wish. That's a whole lot of ignorance you speak with... no one wants to be known as the lady who had an abortion.. it should be her and her husband's business and choice and not one other person's.

• ex Islander
    May 23, 2015 - 08:52

This doesn't surprise me. I was treated poorly at Charlottetown ER several times for having a mental health history. I even got it when I was in for a physical complaint. I had no family doctor and walk in rush you. I had nowhere to go. Doctors were rude to me on several occasions. This is what drove me off the Island. There seems to be a sexism problem on PEI as well as mental health stigma being rampant. I wrote to The Guardian to share my story before but they would not publish what I wrote unless my name was disclosed, which I did not feel comfortable with at the time.

• AnonymousIslander
    May 23, 2015 - 07:03

You had the chance to change the system. You gave it away. Stop whining.

• Sheila
    May 23, 2015 - 06:31

Of course she was not denied or turned away.. She was denied everything in between. It makes no difference what we think, it is not our decision how someone else lives their lives. As for the QEH, I to have in the past received not great care, but we are to keep our personal opinions out of the picture when dealing with others...

• gk
    May 22, 2015 - 22:33

Can any of this be verified..I feel like this is made up!

• gk
    May 22, 2015 - 22:31

Can any of this be verified..I feel like this is made up!

• Donna
    May 22, 2015 - 21:41

Sad but true...only on PEI!!!!

• rachel
    May 22, 2015 - 21:34

There is alot of medical/health problems that are not handled on the island abortion is not the only thing!! However its great that we get free medicare......but our medicare sucks!! No dr ever wants to get down to the bottom of your problems.....they just write a prescription for what they "think" is your issue and send you on your way......plus the eight hour waits to see an er doctor for them to only see 3 other patients in those eight hours!!!! Start paying them by the patients and i bet wait time woould never be more then an hour........but that still aint gonna say therre gonna check you right si they can get on to the next patient......end of rant!

• That Guy From PEI
      May 23, 2015 - 00:43

Medicare is not free. That is all.

• Tammy
    May 22, 2015 - 21:30

Totally unacceptable!! This just makes me so disappointed. Women +young females who have to make a choice to have an abortion have to live with it for the rest of their lives and that is hard enough, without being treated like that. It is the hardest choice a female will ever make and most never recover from it , they have so much guilt forever. And what they really need is support in so many ways and it is not there. So all you out there who judge, no one can ever judge us more then we judge ourselves, so please if someone needs HELP help them! as the saying goes "until you have walked in my shoes"

• Ms . Discusted
    May 22, 2015 - 20:23

I feel so bad for this lady. and the embarresment that she suffered at the hands of a ER doctor. She went there for help and was totally rejected. On the wall in the ER waiting room, there is the hospitals Code of Conduct or ethics. It states words like caring, compassion, understanding. What BS. I was in ER myself on Monday May 18/15 and waited from 4:45 pm to about 2am. for assistance. The day was warm and the air conditioning was on in the waiting room area. As the evening progressed, it kept getting colder in this area. I was sitting next to a lady of about 75 years old. She was ,as she said very cold. I went to my car and got a jacket. I offered the jacket to this lady. She said no that I should wear it and she would get a blanket from the nurse. I watched, as she went to the Triage Nurse and asked for a blanket. She came back to sit beside me and her husband. She told me that the Nurse said it was against hospital policy to pass out blankets to people in the waiting room . What a crock of SHIT, as I noticed earlier that the Commissionair on duty was gathering up used blankets for the laundry. At about 11:30 pm this ladt and her husband left the ER. SHE WAS IN TEARS. shame , shame on the ER policy. It kind of funny, because when I left the ER Exam room,at about 2 am, I observed that, two ER STAFF WERE RAPPED IN BLANKETS, BEHIND THE ER WORK AREA. The ER staff work very hard at helping people but please use common sence when you can. This policy needs to be reviewed at best

• Chris Mac
    May 22, 2015 - 20:12

Good! This lady needs further help beyond whats been reported here. There is more issues here then what this story tells you. Let's hope she gets the help she needs.

• enough already
    May 22, 2015 - 19:39

Can any of this story be verified? Does the Guardian investigate any of these allegations or does it just print what ever it is told ?

• kyle
    May 22, 2015 - 19:28

currie was right the qeh treats everybody badly,so same bad service.=

• fearless
    May 22, 2015 - 19:28

This is a sign of the medical system breakdown that we have on the island.Another good example why there should be a womans clinic operating here.!!!!!!

• caringgal
    May 22, 2015 - 19:22

You say "do know harm"......well the word know means to understand,so maybe you are referring to aborting a living boy/girl as the one being harmed.Abortion is getting rid of an unwanted child.

• LadyScience
      May 22, 2015 - 22:48

It's actually "do NO harm", and it's not even a relevant piece of medical ethics. "Do no harm" was an instruction to ancient physicians against performing surgery or other invasive procedures, which was a reasonable thing to before antiseptics and anaesthetics - but if we used the same principle today we would send patients with cancer home to die. The relevant ethical concept here is of medical beneficence: does the harm of a treatment outweigh the benefits the patient receives, or is the risk small compared to the risk of doing nothing. Denying a person an abortion can and does have serious psychological and physical consequences.

• j
      May 22, 2015 - 23:47

No, I'd have never guessed, your trying to intimidate the wrong one, move on!

• Puzzled
    May 22, 2015 - 18:16

It is clearly obvious that someone is not presenting the real facts in this story. This is how these type of "he said, she said situations get out of hand.

• anonymous
    May 22, 2015 - 17:48

I was treated the same way and had the same problem. I was not treated properly and was told that I was "being immature and irrational" about my decision and called down to the lowest by a er doctor and all I went in for was bleeding and cramps. I was worried about my health of my body and was kept there for over 12 hours and they kept "losing my test results" they also didn't talk to me other than to express their own opinion about my life and decision. I have never felt so disrespected in my life and this happened 6 years ago it is still so fresh in my mind because I was disrespected so bad. Dr's are Dr's and shouldn't have any right to refuse someone because of political views find some other job if you done want to have an open mind and help those who need help. The Dr shut me out and made me feel like a piece of crap for a decision I had to make and live with myself. I think the health care system is bullshit and Dr's shouldn't be allowed to treat people like shit for a decision that trust me was their hardest one they ever had to make and to have Dr's on top of that judging you and making you feel like the worst person in the world.

• Ed
    May 22, 2015 - 17:27

I guess as long as Doug Currie is satisfied that" all proper protocols were followed" that's all that matters. Never mind that this lady had to go to another clinic to actually receive any treatment. I seriously doubt she would come forward with this personal, and highly sensitive matter, if it wasn't true, or,if she felt she had received the necessary care that she had every right to expect from our health system. This is totally unexceptable.

• Really?
    May 22, 2015 - 16:41

Proper protocols? If these are proper protocols, remind me to hail a cab to take me to another province if I require immediate medical care.

• j
    May 22, 2015 - 16:31

This is totally unacceptable, doctors take an oath when they become doctors, they should be ashamed of themselves. DO KNOW HARM!

• M
      May 22, 2015 - 19:51

Is this the oath you are talking about j? "Nor shall any man's entreaty prevail upon me to administer poison to anyone; neither will I counsel any man to do so. Moreover, I will give no sort of medicine to any pregnant woman, with a view to destroy the child." That is a direct quote from the Hippocratic oath.

• LadyScience
      May 22, 2015 - 22:55

Hey M, it's a good thing that both society and medical science have advanced a little since the classical era, aye? It's great that now we know that forcing some to be pregnant against their will is torture, as defined by the UN!

• j
      May 22, 2015 - 23:42

Are you kidding me, God help us all do not judge me that is for God and god alone. Shame on you. I am so tired of people being judged by people that is not your job, and do not say it is in the name of the church. Go pray an leave people alone!

• C
      May 23, 2015 - 01:21

Yes, that is a direct quote...from the 5th Century Oath taken in Greece. Abortion is legal in Canada, and whether you agree or not, women should not have their access to medical services denied because of a personal choice. PEI needs to get with the times!

• Bravo
      May 23, 2015 - 05:32

To M: Thank you for providing the truthful quote that everyone should be paying attention to. This whole story is baffling at best - I was under the impression that abortion was not legal on PEI and yet it seems this woman was provided with pills etc. to accomplish the deed. I didn't see anything about rape or incest involved so, frankly, I'm confused. Or maybe this is another ruse by the faction who want abortion to be the secondary birth control method when they have a 'woops' situation. I can't find anything in the story to make me think there should be a change in policy.

• sasha
      May 23, 2015 - 07:41

@M The lines you reference were part of the oath which Greek doctors used to swear in 400 BCE. That oath also referenced a few Greek gods. Modern oath doctors say in this century allowes for both, euthanasya and abortion.