© Guardian photo by Heather Taweel
Allison Barratt posted this sign outside her home to warn her neighbours after thieves broke into her van earlier this week in Charlottetown. Police say thefts and break-ins are a growing concern.
Charlottetown woman loses sense of security after gifts stolen from her van in driveway
• Install a good quality deadbolt lock on the door and a security strike plate on the door frame.
• Place a dowel or stick in a sliding window or door track.
• Garages are a favourite target for thieves. Keep your garage door locked, even when you are at home.
• Before going on vacation, cancel or redirect your mail and deliveries.
• Do not post that you are out of town on social networks, i.e. Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.