No more jail time for Charlottetown woman who stabbed partner

Prince Edward Island provincial court

There will be no further time in custody for Marlo Docherty, a 41-year-old Charlottetown woman who stabbed her then boyfriend in the chest in March of this year.

Chief Provincial Court Judge John Douglas suspended the passing of sentence on Docherty Friday in consideration of time already spent in custody on remand.

Docherty, who was originally charged with attempted murder but was allowed to plead guilty to the lesser offence of assault with a weapon, had spent 144 days in custody.

Douglas gave her credit for that time at the rate of 1.5 days for each day served, making her remand time the equivalent of a seven-month sentence.

No further time had been requested by the Crown.

Docherty will spend the next two years on probation, during which time the focus will be treatment for her addiction to alcohol.

The wound suffered by the victim in this case had the potential to be very serious, but in the end was not.

Douglas noted there was no long-term injury.

Docherty had no prior criminal record.

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Bobby
    August 24, 2014 - 23:07

I'm thinking about a career change. I'm thinking of being a judge. I believe I'm qualified. I have my grade 10, I lack common sense, I make bonehead decisions quite frequently and I have a pulse. I think I have it covered but please advise me if there are any other credentials needed. I think walking and chewing gum is in there too, but I'm getting good at that, so hopefully by next week you all will be calling me "your honor".

• ok
    August 24, 2014 - 10:15

Comes down to basic assumptions. If the defendant was female, there must be reasons, but if male no reason is sufficient. Yet we are told that there is no difference between the genders except a few cosmetic body differences

Truth Seeker
    August 24, 2014 - 00:41

I would now choose a civil suit against the Crown on behave of the people. Sentencing in the law is first of all about the protection of the citizens and secondly about punishment for a crime I would think. The Crown obviously failed miserably on both accounts leaving us a risk.

• Make Sure
    August 23, 2014 - 17:11

If you are going to commit a murder on PEI MAKE SURE YOU ARE DRUNK. That way even if you fail you are not in any way responsible. Nice how the defense used the 1.5 days credit per day of time served to their advantage when they asked for a delay for a pre-sentencing report. They really played these sucker judges yet again.

• completely backwards...
    August 23, 2014 - 14:00

In another article, a man gets 8 months for harassing his ex and this woman gets time served for nearly killing a man... makes you think!!

• townie22
    August 23, 2014 - 08:29

i had heard a local saying over 20 years ago that still seems to hold true, "if you want to kill someone, do it in PEI".

• AD
    August 23, 2014 - 07:41

The details of this case were never shared with the public. You're all speculating as to the details and drawing conclusions without any facts. Although it seems 'light', we don't know what happened or the details that preceded the event. The same applies for the other case presently before the courts - WE DON"T KNOW THE FACTS!

Regular Joe
      August 28, 2014 - 05:18

Don't know the facts you say . The fact is she stuck a knife in his chest . What ,do you think she was trying to do , give him a shave and it slipped . It was attempted murder ,no if and or but's about it . To leave it at time served is a true injustice to the victim and family .

• vick
    August 22, 2014 - 18:39

wow! Time served for near killing a person??? If its proven intent than you should serve the same amount of time if the person had of died….just because the person was able to get away in time of being killed doesn't mean you give the accused a lessor sentence…she was going to kill him! I go out to dinner and have a couple glasses of wine and just blow over and get near the same time……what a system!

• Wrist Slap
    August 22, 2014 - 18:06

There is more and more violence on the Island, and why wouldn't there be? Sentences like this send the message that human life is cheap and the penalties are a joke.

• don
    August 22, 2014 - 16:20

addiction to alcohol or drugs is the best way to get away with attempted murder or just murder. i wonder what is the courts drinking or smoking to let so many off? you get more jail time for stealing a bubble gum.

• I Wonder...
    August 22, 2014 - 15:49

Do you think a person would get the same sentence if they said they were only trying to cause a superficial, non-life threatening wound but accidentally killed someone? Maybe something for the legal council for the 17 year old girl to think about. It had the potential for it to just be a cut..

• Bill
    August 22, 2014 - 15:19

I wonder what she'll get when she does actually kill somebody? This is ridiculous, if it a man stabbing a woman it would be a different story, I guess the life of a male is not as important as a female.

• dave
    August 22, 2014 - 15:01

A male would never get off this easy

• so sad
    August 22, 2014 - 14:56

Commit the crime you wouldn't do the time especially if your a women.