Tim Hortons shops on P.E.I. not for sale: Danny Murphy

Jim Day

Danny Murphy poses outside his Tim Hortons coffee shop on Water Street in Summerside this week. Murphy says rumours that he is looking to sell any or all of his 20 Tim Hortons' operations on P.E.I. are false.

Tim Hortons’ shops in P.E.I. not for sale: Danny Murphy

Have you heard Danny Murphy is selling his many Tim Hortons restaurants?

So has he. And he has heard enough.

The province’s best known coffee man wants to quash persistent rumours that he is trying to sell any or all of his Tim Hortons and Wendy’s outlets.

“I’ve never talked to anybody and I have no interest in selling,’’ he says. “I’m going to work for a long time.’’

The 58-year-old businessman started out as a baker at Tim Hortons in 1979. Today, he owns 20 Tim Hortons coffee shops and five Wendy’s restaurants in P.E.I. that employ about 900 people. He also has another five Wendy’s in Montreal.

Murphy says he remains very hands on in the operations, regularly getting in behind the counter of his businesses that dot the Island.

He still relishes the fast pace.

“I really enjoy this business and I have no intention of leaving it. None.’’

He has no plans, though, to add to his current number of shops that serve up double doubles and Timbits. He notes the coffee market is “pretty much’’ saturated in Prince Edward Island.

However, he is pumping money into giving his stores fresh, new exteriors.

Murphy is also concentrating expansion to the hotel portfolio of his business empire.

Organizations: Tim Hortons

Geographic location: P.E.I., Prince Edward Island.However

Comments

Comments

• an opinion only
    June 09, 2014 - 10:57

Sadly its difficult to find a coffee place on PEI with consistently good coffee. Just how hard can it be to make a decent coffee every day? Robins used to be good most of the time. The best now may be MC Donald's. Teach it to all employees and please stick to the same plan of action every time.

• Captain Canuck
      June 09, 2014 - 20:18

Your opinion matches mine. However Tim's is still good enough for me at third best. *To Danny, I wouldn't have honored the rumors with a comment. This is PEI, we breathe rumor: you know that - you're one of us, so ignore it. Here's the irony... they're COFFEE SHOP RUMORS! Bwahaaa haaa.

• PEI Bus Driver
    June 08, 2014 - 17:14

Danny Murphy is one heck of a GREAT man! I checked with him on something the other day: "Danny, I heard you are going to amalgamate TIM Hortons with StarBUCKs and 2nd Cup!" He said, "Oh yea? What am I gonna call it?" My answer was "TIM-BUCK-2!"

• PEI Bus Driver
      June 08, 2014 - 18:21

Oooops, I forgot Danny: If by any chance you buy out Starbucks and Second Cup, please use Tim Hortons Coffee. Starbucks and Second Cup are NOT fit to drink.

• The Sceptic
    June 08, 2014 - 16:48

Dwayne Johnston I was talking about not having to repeat the order back and forth 3 times each time I drive through . Go bait somewhere else .

• sammy
    June 08, 2014 - 12:13

Come on Danny.. take the money and run. There is more to life than work, work, work. Enjoy the good life. The 60's are coming up fast....... :)

• The Sceptic
    June 08, 2014 - 09:19

I'll buy one if he can turn the clock back 20 yr's to the time when they really made profit and had little competition . Not impressed with the order staff that barely speak legible english . Country style actually has a way better service and coffee now .

• Dwayne Johnston
      June 08, 2014 - 13:58

Nice to see some typical island racism here. If you are so turned away by people who don't speak perfect English maybe you shouldn't leave your house.