City police trying to locate Charlottetown busker

Nigel
Nigel Armstrong

Screen capture from Charlottetown Police Services web site.

Christopher Wayne (Chris) Nettleton appears on list of wanted persons

A Charlottetown busker who drew media attention after claiming to have been assaulted and his guitar destroyed is now being sought by police.

Christopher Wayne (Chris) Nettleton appears on the Charlottetown Police Services web site in a list of wanted people.

Nettleton is described as age 39, height 168 cm (5'6"), and weighing 78 kg (172 lb). He has brown hair and blue eyes.

Police are asking for anyone with information to call the department directly at 902-629-4172 or Crime Stoppers at www.peicrimestoppers.com/

Nettleton has been on the Island for a few years as he lives an itinerant life across Canada governed by addiction and life on the street.

He has a charge on P.E.I. for armed robbery back in October, 2012.

He took to busking at the corner of University Ave. and Kent Street in Charlottetown until March this year when he claims two men smashed his guitar, kicked him in the face and took his money.

Charlottetown Police Services was not available to add further details to the want now in place for Nettleton.

Organizations: Charlottetown Police Services, Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Canada, Kent Street

Comments

Comments

• Kim
    May 13, 2014 - 20:24

Remember one thing people. We are all Gods children placed on this Earth for a purpose. Not one person is better than any other. Chris I passed you every morning on my way to work and heard for myself the wonderful gift you were given. I truly hope that you can find peace in your life.God Bless.

• City-slackers
    May 13, 2014 - 15:54

Everyone tearing this man down should take a good hard look at their skeletons before pointing the finger. I hope none of you are ever put in the position(s) he's been dealt. I'm sure he regrets his past actions, who doesn't have regrets in life? The main thing is he's trying to move on and make a better life for himself. Anything can happen at any time to destroy a persons life, If you think it can't then you're all sadly mistaken, remember that next time before you anonymously post ignorant words on a local newspapers website.

• Sam Crow
      May 13, 2014 - 16:14

Interesting City-Slacker....you condemn those who don't use their name but you don't use your real name. "he's trying to move on and make a better life for himself". do you know for a fact or are you going by what he has written in the comment section? Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. The guy is a con artist that has fooled many...Period.

• Chris Nettleton
    May 13, 2014 - 11:04

Ok one more post and thats it. I have no desire to get into a war of words with total strangers who i really have no oblihation to explain any of my petsonal life to.... For the record: I turned myself in, it was a breach of probation. I had forgotten to attend an appointment or to call in. The minute i heard about it i had called the police station to make arrangments and aside from a few court things it has been taken care of. I am not some hardened despetate criminal, just a guy who dealt with his problems by self medicating. I was in despetate need of help and didnt come to it until late in my life. I am now getting that help and living a good life. I have fought much to hard for this to stand idlely by while i get publically torn down. I have payed the price for my crimes and then some. In some ways I was paying for them since i was born. Life for me has bern a living hell up until recently. Please stop trying to take that away from me. As for buskers and bums? Theres a big difference. Most of the time your average street performer is just someone looking to make a few bucks or to supplement their income. They do something for their money. A bum is someone just standing there with their hand out expecting that the world owes them something but is umwilling to do anything for it..

• Ralph Malph
    May 13, 2014 - 07:55

Seems to me that poor ole Don has had some bad experiences with the local popo. ..lol, sure he pays lots of taxes haha

• don
    May 13, 2014 - 07:16

but i see the police in the CAPITAL still can not find him. chief you can get police training in summerside for your boys. this looks like a Keystone Kops movie

• no google
    May 13, 2014 - 06:11

Well Adam . This man and more like him on the corners of Chtown are called buskers by the media so how is it ignorant to be confused.? Are these people buskers or bums?

• Chris Nettleton
    May 12, 2014 - 21:16

Hello, i am the person being spoken about here. I will make this one post and one only. It turns out that i have breached my probation order by forgetting to check in with my probation officer. In the last couple of months you no longer see me out on the corner because i now work full time, have a place to live and spend a fair amount of time with friends from my church. Decent, clean, honest and wonderful people! Also I have had to concentrate very hard on getting my physical health taken care of abd am just about out of the woods. The winter took its toll, thats for sure. I have worked very hard to turn my life around and have done so with a large degree of success. Many dont even recognize me when i walkvdown the street now. Which is just fine by me. I spend dont virtually any time downtown as I am trying to relegate my time there as a very unpleasant chapter from the past. I am doing very well and will continue to do so.....So that means distance not only from the actual locations but from the people there as well. I cant please everyone and wont even try. My actions and the way i am living my life speak for themselves. All the best

• nettlester
      May 12, 2014 - 22:46

Hopefully this is you posting, and what you say is true. If so, good on you. All the best. You are a talented musician and will have a lot to give if you do indeed turn your life around. All the very best...

• don
      May 12, 2014 - 23:58

good for you. but i did not see you saying anything about turning yourself in or saying you are not the one police are looking for?

• Capt obvious
      May 13, 2014 - 06:18

If your working soo hard to turn your live around, why havent you turned yourself in? Signed, Captain obvious

• oooh praise jesus
      May 13, 2014 - 10:12

How enchanting, a changed man basking in the glory of the church. Perhaps instead of posting on a Facebook thread trying to pound sunshine up people's ass, report yourself to the city police or your probation officer. Set up a reminder of important appointments on that snazzy smart phone you are likely posting your heart warming comment from.

• should not be hard
    May 12, 2014 - 20:33

He up town every day ? Last few times he looked sick or something .Didnt seem to be singing just sitting there hunched over . Those people on the wanted list cant be wanted to bad they up town every day it seems . Ive seen 4 individuals off that list within the last week .

• Tanya
    May 12, 2014 - 20:04

Good riddance!

• enough already
    May 12, 2014 - 19:40

Can someone explain the difference between a busker and a hobo if there is any. These buskers they bring to town in the summer are they hobos also?

• Adam
      May 12, 2014 - 20:07

This is a pretty ignorant comment. Lots of talented singer/songwriters use busking as a way to get their music heard or to fund a new album. They aren't all out there because they're homeless. Ed Sheeran and Passenger are two examples of successful recording artists who still busk on a regular basis

• Responsible
      May 12, 2014 - 22:24

No problem- the difference is that they are two completely different things. Buskers are just unpaid street performers who accept tips- I've seen people busk for charity in bigger places. Hobos are transient homeless people, some of whom busk to make money for water/food/shelter/beer. If you think that either are inherently untrustworthy because of their appearance and chosen lifestyle, you should consider that the biggest criminals of all are well-dressed and not homeless at all.

• Finally!
    May 12, 2014 - 18:43

The write up said "He has a charge on P.E.I. for armed robbery back in October, 2012." He held up a convenience store here in Charlottetown and robbed the female clerk at knife point... Yet when he was tell many his sob story about just moving here lots believed him. People do your research!!

• Good Riddance
    May 12, 2014 - 18:38

WE have enough of our own drunks,druggies ,thieves,goofs and rounders ..we do not need imports.If he wanted a place to live he could have gone to detox or treatment ,he turned it down......he pefers his lifestyle.......we do not have to put up with it.........compassion only goes so far..........Hope he pulled a"HANK SNOW"".........HE"S MOVING ON!

• Sam Crow
    May 12, 2014 - 18:11

Surprise, surprise.

• Truth comes out
    May 12, 2014 - 16:43

I wonder how the Guardian feels now that he is once again wanted by the police. A few months back they were more than happy to provide him a soap box from which to play the victim. According to the Guardian he was assaulted for no reason, the Salvation Army wouldn't provide him shelter, the mean provincial government wouldn't provide him welfare. They neglected to point out that he had served time for armed robbery. They were more interested in portraying him as an aspiring musician. Turns out there was much more to him than they let on. Now it looks like he's the victimizer not the victim!

• don
      May 12, 2014 - 16:55

not only the guardian but cbc ch'town as he was on he news, and the police dept. shame on them all. but the job for arresting him is NOT the media but the POLICE.

• Phil
      May 12, 2014 - 16:55

How do you know he is wanted for a crime ? Maybe they need him to identify assailants or maybe they are worried about his safety. A little quick to judge I think.

• Truth?
      May 12, 2014 - 17:07

I drove by this man the day he was assaulted. I felt bad, that he was bloodied and his guitar smashed on the side of the road. Wonderful how you hear one bad thing about a guy and automatically assume this man is a horrible victimizer. We all have our own demons, obviously this man's is addiction - which the island provides no help for. Instead of putting your foot in your mouth by calling down a man who can't defend himself... take a step back and look at your life very carefully because I'm sure there are some things in life even you aren't proud of. The only difference is, your laundry isn't being aired in the guardian.

• sunnyroadz
      May 12, 2014 - 20:35

One bad thing? what a joke..This guy held up a convenience store at knife point. Sorry but he deserves to have his laundry aired in public, he deserves to be in jail actually. Why this guy is even on the street just a couple years after committing an armed robbery on an innocent person is absurd. Guy should have been locked up for 10 years. I can't believe someone would actually defend an armed robber, you might feel differently if it was your son or daughter he held a knife to..Hopefully this guy has hightailed it as far as possible away from Charlottetown, our city is much better off without this ticking time bomb loitering around bumming and stealing his way through life