P.E.I. government monitoring Access P.E.I. wait times

Ryan Ross

Ron MacKinley is minister of fisheries in Prince Edward Island.

Opposition MLA Colin LaVie is wondering what the government is doing to help reduce wait times at the Charlottetown Access P.E.I. office.

During today’s question period, LaVie said the wait times were so long recently that people had to sit on the floor.

“How have you allowed this disappointing situation to occur under your watch?”

Rural Development Minister Ron MacKinley said a report was done to look at wait times at the Charlottetown Access P.E.I. location and it showed they were reasonable, although that report was finished several months ago.

“Since the spring there’s been long waits at the Access (P.E.I.) in Charlottetown.”

MacKinley suggested the possibility of a satellite office in Cornwall to help alleviate the problem, but said when the report was done there wasn’t enough traffic through the Charlottetown office to warrant it, although that may have changed.

“We’re monitoring the situation.”

Organizations: Charlottetown Access P.E.I.

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Cornwall

Comments

Comments

• Customer
    May 11, 2014 - 09:35

Fire everyone, that is quite a comment. You can renew online, you can renew five months in advance, you don't have to wait until the last day of the month or for a spot check for the police to remind you of your bday, it comes every year at the same time. Spring is always a nut house at access pei and the amount Of services they provide for different government departments it is not much wonder they are busy. Some transactions take longer than others, having proper documents ready when you arrive and in hand when arriving at the counter helps. The staff are not always to blame, a lot of times it is the upper management etc are not helpful, or other departments who don't pass along valuable changes to policy's to help staff in there day to day work. Everyone in government is a public servant and regardless of your title you are supposed to work as a team, trying to set people up to fail as I have seen numerous times. You see people walking around that office that think they are "God" think again and help your staff in both departments in the charlottetown office. Minister McKinley could be right to open a satellite office in Cornwall to remove some of the back log that is in Charlottetown. An hour plus may seem like a long time but look at the amount of people go through that office in one day. If it was the liquor store some people don't mind waiting at the door a half hour plus for there doors to open and don't complain

• Customer
    May 11, 2014 - 09:34

• amazed
    May 10, 2014 - 12:04

@ fire everyone, your an idiot for suggesting that they fire all those people! I guess you are the most efficient person that there is at your workplace. We should all be so lucky to work with a know it all like you!! Give your head a shake.

• CSR
    May 10, 2014 - 11:05

The gov`t doesn`t care how long the public has to wait, Ronnie and Valerie have gotten lots of complaint calls! You have mismanagment at all sites for starts. The manager in Ch`town is rarely even on site. And guess who bares the brunt of unhappy clients waiting to their turn at the next wicket, the CSR who is trying to put through as many people as possible (well most of them are). Stupidiest idea ever to have 8-9 different dept., of gov`t all ``accessible`` in one building. Puts an overwhelming pressure on CSR`S trying to do their jobs while listening to the constant complaining public. Guess what, not their fault! This has been an ongoing problem since it first opened in 1998 and can`t see anything changing anytime soon! Call your MLA and complain! Or, try going to other sites who don`t have much going on (Wellington, O`Leary, Souris and Montague).

• Open on Saturdays
    May 10, 2014 - 08:00

It's not just Ch'town ..... Summerside is just as bad !!!! And most people do have to take time off work . Time to add some Saturday hours!!!!

• Not Informed
    May 09, 2014 - 19:25

After waiting over an hour this week and finally getting to the counter the clerk informed me that the new plate could have been mailed out !! why weren't we notified of this? !? Wouldnt this help to cut wait times if peope were properly informed!!

• ralph
    May 09, 2014 - 18:13

I don't know when you got in and out in ten min.as I go in ever 2 week to get mvi stickers and the last 3 times I were there I had to wait as lest an hour

• fire everyone
    May 09, 2014 - 17:15

Every single one of them should be fired immediately, and the huge windfall should be used to pay an island company to build a web site. We have CGI. If they are good enough for Obama, they are good enough for Ghiz.

• intobed
    May 09, 2014 - 16:41

A friend and I went to get our license' renewed, and her car re-regisered recently at 9 am on a Tuesday. The chairs were all full, and the line up was nearly out the door. It was sill only 50 minutes before our numbers were called.

• happy with Access
    May 09, 2014 - 12:31

is there any issue with the wait times? Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had to wait for more than 10-15 mins.... go off Island to a government access centre and you'll appreciate the service here. I'm sure there are more problematic areas on which to focus.

• Amanda
    May 09, 2014 - 12:01

Pretty bad when I have to take an entire day off work in order to get my car registered. Ridiculous.

• seriously
      May 09, 2014 - 12:34

I don't know anyone who has ever had to wait a "full day", or more than 10 minutes for that matter. You sound terribly dramatic. Anyway, you can always register online or by mail if you don't have the 10 min to wait. But the "Full day"" lol, lol, lol.. you gotta be joking.

• Drew
      May 09, 2014 - 13:06

Actually, someone I work with had to wait hours. I dread going next month. I would do it online but my licence has to be renewed also.

• Harland
      May 09, 2014 - 14:45

As long as it's not a new registration, and you haven't changed your address, you can renew your registration online.