Heather Moyse weighs in on golden controversy

Jim Day

Olympic champion calls “unfortunate’’ how her Order of P.E.I. honour has become politicized

Healther Moyse with Premier Robert Ghiz during rally in Summerside Feb. 28, 2014.

Olympic gold medallist Heather Moyse calls “unfortunate’’ the controversy over Premier Robert Ghiz bypassing legislation to name the local hero to the Order of P.E.I.

CLICK HERE FOR A RELATED STORY

Still, Moyse says she will not let the criticism Ghiz faces for sidestepping proper procedures sour what she considers a great honour.

“I was brought up to think it is the thought that counts,’’ she told The Guardian Wednesday.

She believes it is “unfortunate’’ her special recognition has been turned into a political issue.

Moyse likens the Order of P.E.I. to her gold medal. Both, she notes, are “tangible objects’’ that recognize her achievement.

“For me, it’s the (winning) race that I hold near and dear to my heart,’’ she adds.

Moyse says the many Islanders who packed into Credit Union Place in Summerside Friday to celebrate her victorious bobsled run in Sochi offered touching recognition for a golden Olympic effort.

“That evening was a very special evening for me,’’ she said. “I felt really honoured.’’

No one has said Moyse does not deserve the be named to the Order of P.E.I. as a further honour to her remarkable athletic career that now includes two gold medals.

However, Charles Curley, chairman of the Order of P.E.I. Advisory Council, says proper procedures were not followed in naming Moyse to hold the high distinction.

As for Moyse, she is not going to fret over how the controversy plays out.

“Whatever happens from here on out, it’s beyond my control,’’ she said.

Organizations: Credit Union Place, P.E.I. Advisory Council

Geographic location: P.E.I., Summerside, Sochi

Comments

Comments

• Lloyd
    March 07, 2014 - 20:35

Heather is a very talented athelete and we all know that. A hero she is not. People idolize atheletes movie stars etc. They are the same as everybody else. Flesh and blood.

• Gaylene
    March 07, 2014 - 16:22

Once again, Heather takes the high road!!!! What a great spokesperson for our Island.

• Steve Guy
    March 07, 2014 - 09:55

It is like all these people are a bunch of sheep.....come on people we all know how hard Heather has worked for her Gold but this was all about Ghiz not Heather....just another politician doing what they want . Congrats Heather and it is too bad that Ghiz put you in the middle of this just so he could look like a hero.....shameful.....

• Michelle
    March 07, 2014 - 07:22

Heather is all class. It is such a shame that protocol was not followed to assure what was meant to honour an Olympian and a tremendous ambassador for PEI for her accomplishment. Her time in the spotlight is brief and she has committed the next year to promoting sport, health, determination, can do attitude ...oh..and our island. She has not spoken a negative word. She has not gloated. To our veterans who we honour and are grateful to every day for your sacrifice and your patriotism... Honouring an athlete does not diminish this. We will continue to fill Credit Union Place to capacity on Remembrance Day to salute you. We will spend thousands every year to send our children to Vimy and Dieppe and Normandy to assure they understand your sacrifice. Please don't compare what you have all given in all conflicts. We know and she knows it is not the same. But please allow us to celebrate a young woman who has overcome injuries, who is nothing but positive, and who is still a Canadian hero.

• david
    March 07, 2014 - 00:35

Why is this even an issue. The only people who seem upset are people who want to take a shot at Ghiz. Seems like the Order of PEI reserved for old people who have the correct political connections. Have a close look at the many of the people who received and check their political ties to the Premier who presented it. This whole issue goes to show the level of small mindness many Islanders seem to feel. Using Moyse's accomplishments to take shots at politician is pretty damm shameful. If chair of the committee along with the whole committee if they feel so strong about this then maybe they should resign and give the pay cheque that goes along with sitting on the committee. Goes to show the that famous lobster joke about PEI is very true.

• jimbob
    March 06, 2014 - 17:24

well I read and read the comments and just shake my head and think everyone loves to criticize don't they Heather you are a wonderful Islander and yes you certainly qualify for the order of PEI and I have no problem with Premier Ghiz saying so he was probably caught up in the moment and what could he say after he probably emotionally stated he did so what! and Candrayo you being a retired vet definitely are entitled to your opinion maybe more than some of the other hateful people on here. I have served our country for 27 years and was proud to do so until recently witnessing some of the rude comments to my fellow vets especially when rude people insinuate they are jealous of other peoples accomplishments maybe some of you idiots should try to serve your country foe even a 3 year tour and see if you are of the same frame of mind against people that have served a 20 - 25 year stint. Keep in mind there are many Islanders that are worthy of the order of PEI than what you read about in the papers. I am a vet and I know I am a member of a great group of people and they may have different opinions than mine and I will respect them.

• Eylmer
    March 06, 2014 - 14:38

Ghiz has said he will change the legislation in the upcoming spring session of the legislature to ensure the honour is bestowed on Moyse. Like every other thing him and Billy D change the rules on.

• fair play
    March 06, 2014 - 13:12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bridges I guess Ghiz forgot about billy!!!

• the mac
      March 06, 2014 - 15:42

Don't Heather and Billy both live in Ontario now? Don't worry some of us will keep an eye on the Paralympics.

• Janice Martell
    March 06, 2014 - 13:04

Heather Moyse is handling this debacle with the poise and grace she handles her life.

• Gary Westminster
    March 06, 2014 - 12:47

CANDRAYO, no one has said Moyse is better than everyone else. Most people are saying she deserves to be recognized for what she has achieved. You don't feel that way because - and lets be honest here - you have probably never achieved anything in your life worthy of any recognition and that is why you are so jealous of Moyse and her honours. She has worked hard and deserves all the recognition she is getting. You can't stand that because as a loser you feel cheated. No one is paying attention to you and no one ever will. So all that you can do is post comments trying to tear down Heather Moyse so you can feel better about yorself. I remember you from your comments last year when you did the same thing to some firemen who were credited with being heroes. You took great exception to them being called heroes. You need to take a good look at yourself and determine why you feel so envious of many people you perceive as better than you.

• candrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 13:00

Gary Westminister…someone did suggest that I was a lowest common denominator…fyi…and as for the last year comment…last year I was in a different perspective..in fact I experienced quite a bit in the last year after releasing from the military to which I call prison…my memory is vague…add and @hotmail.com to my name if you care to refresh and we can debate. As for all your other assumptions about me….well you know what assuming does to a person. I do not need attention…but doctors…nurses…ems….firemen….etc…DO!! and yes even the VETS…and while I am a VET…I am getting more attention than most….most get little to no attention..especially those who went to war. So I will continue to speak out against what I feel I want to speak out on issues that I choose to speak out on….and welcome any and all feedback….or not. It is up to you to enter into a debate with me or not….I do not seek attention for personal gain…I know that people with big mouths and who stand up for their beliefs often get labelled as attention seekers…..such is life!

• candrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 13:32

How many people turned out to honour Heather's accomplishments and how many turned out to support the Vets…the ones who make it possible for the Heather's of the world to make it to the Olympics??? The difference in the support is staggering and sad to me! If that makes me part of a minority…so be it. I will stand by my opinion and beliefs. Time to catch my plane…my attention to this matter is ceased for now as I have spoken my piece! Light and Love to all…even to those who disagree with me!!!

• Sad
    March 06, 2014 - 12:33

Jealousy is ugly. I hope I never get to the level of jealousy that is on this page for some. I know Heather probably isn't reading these comments...why on earth would she put herself through that? I say congrats on your wonderful accomplishments.

• spud
    March 06, 2014 - 12:13

Here's Heather's claim to fame for the order of pei 35 years old live at home spend daddy money and make ghizmo look good

• OH MY
    March 06, 2014 - 11:52

SURPRISE..SURPRISE.............. MIKE DUFFY MAYBE AWARDED THE MEDAL BY GHIZ...MAYBE TO TRY TO GET DUFFY TO JOIN THE LIBERAL RANKS................. DUFFY HAS MADE HIS AWAY FROM AWAY HOME IN CAVENDISH A SOON TO BE A TOURIST ATTRACTION JUST LOOKK AT THE EXTRA TAX DOLLARS ITS GOING TO CREATE FOR WES. TO BE ABLE TO SPEND ONPROMISES IN THE NEXT PROVINCIAL ELECTION.. !!JUST A THOUGHT!!

• Sam Brace
    March 06, 2014 - 11:40

Heather is a wonderful Islander and Canadian and she certainly deserves the honour. That said, it is unfortunate that Premier Ghiz decided to circumvent the procedures so as to score points and feed his ego. Now he wants to change the procedure which will allow politicians to give the honour to anyone they decide will help them get elected.

• Shirley
    March 06, 2014 - 10:37

TO Hawkeye Yes I agree she certainly deserves this. A wonderful lady that spread so much love and kindness to fellow man.

• Islander
    March 06, 2014 - 10:27

Bill Milligan Not anyone has a problem with Heather been nominated for this award it is the way it was handled by Robert that people have a problem with if he appoints someone to do something well he should follow the rules just like he would for anyone else that also is so deserving of this award.

• GREED & ACCEPTANCE
    March 06, 2014 - 09:59

I also congratulate Heather on becoming the two time Olympic Gold champion. Mr Ghiz didn't follow a policy that was put in place, maybe for a headline story who knows ? I think that Heather your a proud islander and you should not take this honor. Stand up and show the world, lead my example. Who knew that travelling 100 Plus miles can get your this BIG HONOR, there are lots of deserving people. Don't get me wrong you deserve this as much as anyone else. BUT look around you; everyone LOVES you. The award is for someone who does work in the community along with their dedication to the community. HAVE YOU DONE THAT? winning GOLD doesn't apply. PEI already LOVES you Heather; along with your Gold Winnings. Mr Ghiz should be ashammed for brining you into this. Heather do the right thing !!!!

• Sipowicz
      March 06, 2014 - 10:40

iTs backwoods thinking like this that keep pei behind the eight ball. u show me someone else who has had world wide media coverage and promoted pei as much as heather moyse. You should maybe do a little research before you yap. According to the order heather more than qualifies. Also maybe you need to look a little closer at what the Premier is planning to do. Heather has not recieved the Order yet which in my mind she should. So check your facts and get with the majority of islanders and show a little PEI pride for one of our own who should be celebrated.

• candrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 12:18

majority does not always equal right…..show a little respect for whatever kind of thinking is out there…be glad we are all not sheep…goodness knows where we would be if we were

• Hawkeye
    March 06, 2014 - 09:22

I would say the Bread Lady deserves the award more than anyone !!!

• Bill Milligan
    March 06, 2014 - 09:01

Man, I cannot imagine going through life so eaten up with envy that I would attack and mock an Olympian like Heather Moyse. I have read hateful comments before, but nothing like what CANDRAYO has posted. I would say that person has lost at anything they have ever attempted. Which is probably not much. I have read their posts before and it is all the same hateful tripe coming from the lowest common denominator.

• @Bill..FromCandrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 09:24

gotta love freedom of speech…I served..I know what I am entitled to…and freedom of speech is one of my entitlements…thanks for caring though Bill!! We will have to agree…to disagree!

• UPWESTER
      March 06, 2014 - 09:52

The Premier has no authority to hand out these medals. There is a protocol to becoming a member and it must be followed. Anytime a politician acts unilatterly to bestow anything on a friend is wrong. Heather is deserving but so are many Islanders who have spent their life doing good deeds and they have to be nominated,that should also be the way Heather earns hers. And she does deserve it. Further , this has nothing to do with Heather, the issue is with Ghiz.You take issue with Candrayo yet you exactly what you accuse her of doing.

• from a distance
    March 06, 2014 - 08:58

I think Mr. Curley should be ashamed of himself for tainting Heather's honour. He could have easily been more professional and handled this situation much differently.

• Pete
      March 06, 2014 - 10:47

I agree with "from a distance". Why did Mr. Curley have to go public with this? Is this not something that could have been discussed and dealt with behind closed doors. That would have been the professional way to handle it.

• consumed
    March 06, 2014 - 08:46

Congrats to heather for her wonderful accomplishments. Shame on ghiz for tainting this award by circumventing the process just to grab a headline. I only wonder what compels these so called leaders to use someone elses stage to trumpet their horn!

• Billy
    March 06, 2014 - 08:39

The point here is that Ghiz done something wrong here, not Heather. Ghiz should have known the rules and played by them, as in any game. When you don't play by the rules or want to change the rules during the game, you get thrown out of the game.

• candrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 11:19

On the contrary, Heather represents her own issues that came about before Ghiz even came into the picture, for me anyways. I have an issue with someone accepting hospitality in a Country that does not extend that same hospitality to all individuals equally. I am not proud that Canada joined the games…I am personally ashamed that we place the value of a sport over the value of human rights. Is Heather a great athlete…yes….the best….we don't know..not all are as fortunate as her to have equal rights in this world to be allowed the opportunity to shine in a sport. Most have to work hard and overcome adversity to put food on the table….not spending our life dedicated to a sport that does nothing for anyone other than self. This whole situation is sad period. Society has some pretty messed up priorities in my opinion…and this is a great example of how messed up those priorities are imo. For those that think an Olympian is somehow better than you or I, that is your issue…not mine. I am just as relevant on this planet, as are all of you. None are better, we are all equal and free to be who we want to be, say what we want to say….and the Creator will be my judge and jury….I fully trust him to judge me and trust that he will judge all of you accordingly as well! Love and Light…….you too Bill!!

• Harland
    March 06, 2014 - 08:33

I have no problem with Heather being awarded the Order of PEI, but it was not Robert's place to do it in the first place. If she's deserving of the order, and I think she is, then he should have nominated her and allowed the people in charge of such things to do their job. He is abusing his position as premier...and deserves a good slap on the hand for doing it. Spoiled brat that he is.

• Sipowicz
    March 06, 2014 - 08:31

People commenting on this in a negative fashion need to educate themselves on what is really happening here. How the cbc ever played this story in the beginning using wayne collins no connection to the order of pei. A former CBC reprorter and a former MLA under the binns Government who lost to Ghiz. The tories are showing why they are so low in the polls and for steve myers to come out as well. This is a disgrace. This is why tories are where they are and they should be ashamed and so should the cbc. Bottom Line is Heather deserves this and this article and her comments are further proof . Good for you Heather and you should except this honour with pride on behalf of all islanders.

• Harland
      March 06, 2014 - 09:17

Heather deserving the order is not the issue, it's Ghiz abusing his position to grant it to whoever he chooses. That's not his right as Premier. There are people in place to do their jobs...at the very least, he could have consulted them. It's disrespectful.

• candrayo
    March 06, 2014 - 08:14

She won the medals already..how much more recognition does she need? Share the love I say, and with real Island Heroes!!! Nurses, Doctors, Firemen, EMS…….ETC!!! Oh and not to mention the men and women who recently went to war……they could probably use a little recognition too.

• To Candryo
      March 07, 2014 - 15:59

Candrayo I have read all your posts and you always point out that you are a vet. Did you join the military just so you could receive recognition? What's your motive? There are thousands and thousands of veterans out there who are not on here ranting on about vets not receiving recognition. If you joined the military just for that then your priorities are way out of whack. A real hero does not have to voice what he or she has done. They do it because it is right and not for the attention. Freedom of speech is great. You have a right to voice your opinion. But in every post you glorify yourself for being a vet. Like I said there are thousands of vets and most of them you would never they were. You, however, have to make sure everybody knows. Write a book about yourself and get it over with already.

• hailly
    March 06, 2014 - 07:54

Heather, It is in your control. Reject the reward if it does not go through the right channels. You need to set the right example for those that look up to you.

• candrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 08:44

Excellent point…that would be a move worthy of a Hero…don't hold your breath.

• huh
      March 06, 2014 - 09:29

Hogwash. Its not up to Moyse to do anything to placate people who take issue with Ghiz bestowing this award. The judgments levied by people on these boards is astonishing.

• candrayo
      March 06, 2014 - 10:01

I find it equally astonishing that an Athlete is held on such a platform in the first place….or that people are so blindly allowing our boss to do things at whim…..to me that is totally astonishing. So who is right…me or you?? Heather should not be in this position, but she is…and now she is going to have to deal with it. She is representing Canada, and she has the ability to make a stand/point against a run away political problem prevalent on the Island. If she chooses to ignore the issue and accept the award…she is to me a great athlete…but no more than that!

• huh
      March 06, 2014 - 19:22

Moyse didn't ask for this award. So just because there are those who deem Ghiz's action as representative of a larger political problem with his government, this athlete is somehow now required to do something? And if she doesn't, as per your previous post, that reflects badly on her? I think not.

• drama
    March 06, 2014 - 07:28

Are we so desperate for news that we have to spend a week creating drama over this? She performed wonderfully, she was honored with the award. Whether protocol was followed or not... she does deserve it. Let's move on to a new topic folks. You've beaten this way beyond it's death.

• Elenir Prunty
    March 06, 2014 - 07:27

if dats all yahs have ta complain about be tankful ya bunch of hillbillies