Published on January 28, 2014
The resort and convention centre was lost in a blaze on April 23, 2013. The Fire Marshal's Office concluded the fire was accidental, having started in a flowerbed outside the landmark tourism operation.
Guardian photo by Brian McInnis
Published on August 27, 2012
Stanhope Beach Resort and Conference Centre as it looked before the fire
Photo special to The Guardian
Published on April 24, 2013
North Shore Fire Department puts out hot spots at Stanhope Beach Resort, one day after the lodge was destroyed by fire.
Danny Murphy has decided to wait another year before rebuilding Stanhope Beach Resort.
The president of D.P. Murphy Hotels told The Guardian Tuesday he is now hoping to start construction in the spring or summer of 2015 with a possible spring opening in 2016.
Murphy plans to recreate the look of the historic tourism accommodation that first accepted guests in the mid-1800s.
“Just a replica - it will be vintage,’’ says Murphy.
“There are a lot of people that miss it and have fond memories of time spent there...the community is hoping that it goes forward.’’
The 85-room resort and 200-seat convention centre was lost last year in a fire on April 23.
All that remained when the flames subsided were the chimney pillars. A total of four buildings, some of them adjoining, were leveled in the blaze.
At peak tourist season, the resort employed close to 100 people.
Murphy says the new resort will likely have between 90 and 100 rooms. A convention centre will also be built.
The resort was reopened in 2010 under the new ownership of Murphy and his wife Martie.
Murphy had initially hoped to begin rebuilding the resort this spring and be ready to open for the 2015 season, but has since decided to focus his attention on a couple of hotel ventures in the Maritimes that need immediate attention.
“We have some projects in Fredericton and Moncton to do this year,’’ he says.