© Guardian photo by Brian McInnis
A ringing smoke alarm saved a woman after a malfunctioning furnace started a fire in a mobile home on Inkerman Road Sunday morning.
The Crapaud and Kinkora fire departments responded to the fire at 5:15 a.m. where the woman awoke to a ringing fire alarm and escaped through a window in her bedroom.
Provincial fire marshal Dave Rossiter said the damage to the mobile home was extensive.
“It will not be repairable,” he said.
Rossiter determined the malfunction involved the furnace flooding and trying to reignite.
The Red Cross has stepped in to help the woman and her pets with emergency lodging, clothing and food.
In the wake of the fire, Rossiter reminded people to make sure they do maintenance on their heating units and said the type that caused the fire has a filter on it that needs to be changed annually.
“If you do have indicators that there’s something wrong with it, like you’re smelling fuel every time the furnace kicks in, get a qualified person in to have a look at it,” he said.
He also said the incident provided a reminder to make sure there is a working smoke alarm inside a home and that people should plan for a second exit.
On Saturday, the Lennox Island Fire Department responded to a call at the Lennox Island ball diamond where fire caused extensive damage to a building that was part of the bleachers.
East Prince RCMP and the Tyne Valley Fire Department also responded to the call and Rossiter turned the file over to the RCMP for further investigation.
In a fire incident in Charlottetown, charges will be laid against a 58-year-old city area man in connection with a fire started in a shed on the East Royalty Road on Thursday night, Oct. 31. Charlottetown Police Services responded to the fire at 8:39 p.m.