Extension cord likely cause of Cornwall fire

Nigel Armstrong
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

North River Fire Department's TACT 2 Tactical Response unit.

CORNWALL — A malfunctioning extension cord is the likely cause of a fire last week in Cornwall in a home owned by a member of the town’s fire department.

The firefighter went to his home on Arbour Lane briefly to let the family pet out mid-morning last Tuesday. He found smoke billowing through the house.

There was no one home at the time in the family of six.

Fellow firefighters arrived to quell the situation but not before the homeowner firefighter sustained smoke inhalation.

“Fire damage was contained to the basement with heat and smoke damage throughout the structure,” said a news release Monday from the office of the fire marshal.

“Deputy Fire Marshal Robert Arsenault has ruled this fire as accidental in nature with the origin in a downstairs rec room and the cause attributed to a malfunction in an electrical extension cord.”

The fire marshal’s office further issued a safety notice with its findings from this fire.

“Always use CSA- or ULC-certified power bars and extension cords in your home,” said the safety message. “Electronic devices such as cable boxes and game consoles create heat and should be placed on a hard surface that allows air circulation around the unit and proper dissipation of heat from the unit.”

Geographic location: Cornwall

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page