P.E.I. beats Bali in best island vacation list

Travel + Leisure rates world travel destinations. P.E.I. top island in North America.

Readers of Travel + Leisure Magazine have named Prince Edward Island the top Island getaway in continental North America and the fifth best in the world, ahead of Bali, says the P.E.I. Department of Tourism

“It’s a real honour to be included on the list and to see the industry recognized in such a big way by the readers of Travel + Leisure Magazine,” said Robert Henderson, minister of tourism and culture in a press release today. “Government and industry have worked very hard for decades to make Prince Edward Island a world-class destination for tourists," said Henderson.

"To see Prince Edward Island included on the same list as Maui, Santorini and the Galapagos Islands in an American publication is a testament to the excellent product we’ve built over the years, and it speaks volumes about all our hard work.”

In 2012, readers of Travel + Leisure were invited to participate in a questionnaire designed to score individual destinations on things like natural attractions, food, people, activities and overall value. This isn’t the first time Prince Edward Island was recognized by the magazine; it also ranked the P.E.I.  top North American island in 2003.

“This is a great honour for PEI, especially when our coastal nature is such a big part of our tourism strategy,” said John-Anthony Langdale, Chair of the Tourism Advisory Council and owner of Rustico Resort. “As Islanders and in the tourism industry, we are proud of our great beaches, food, activities, people and value in our offering, but the fact that Travel + Leisure readers scored these traits so highly really reinforces our marketing efforts.”

Tourism provides over 7,000 full-time equivalent jobs for Islanders, said the government press release. "It accounts for approximately $380 million in economic activity each year and seven percent of GDP, the highest percentage of any Canadian province."

Organizations: Travel + Leisure Magazine, PEI Department, Tourism Advisory Council Rustico Resort

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, North America, Galapagos Islands North American island

Comments

Comments

• wait, what ??
    July 06, 2013 - 22:46

The Bible (and every other faith's equivalent) is more or less a mission statement, something all big businesses have.

• Joanne Hunt
    July 04, 2013 - 17:12

I am 83 and haven't been to PEI since 1986, but before that I spent 18 summer vacations with my hubby and children. We rented a whole house each time, using it as place to sleep and bathe. Every day we would try to go to a different beach for a couple of hours, and then find a different point of interest to visit. During the long evening hours, we would sit on a porch and just chat. Those were the days!

• SLIPPY
    July 04, 2013 - 17:07

Of course, the same survey also placed Charleston ahead of Paris, just to put things into perspective.

• Dave
    July 04, 2013 - 13:58

This is a bunch of BS as Bill says. Just like saying it's the best place to do business, please. It is because there so stupid here they hand over Money on a hand shake. Of cours you would want to do business here,if free Money. One of the top places in the worl,I don'nt think so. Try living here,it's even worst. PS; Don't believe everything you here or read just because you want it to be true. People are leaving this Island in droves for a reason.

• wait, what ??
    July 03, 2013 - 23:02

"I am not concerned with the attacks on my sanity, my character, or my comments. " Clearly, or we might not have seen this doozy - "The Bible tells you that most will be deceived and God's word is correct once again. " You seem to rail against big business/big government yet you reference the biggest of them all. Big religion is so big it is both a business AND a government. I don't have an issue with anyone's faith. Quite the opposite, actually. I just find it humorous to see someone rail against big business/big goverment then reference the oldest and most influential of both. I also will say this - while there have been fist fights and most likely message board flame wars, I am not aware of any wars being declared/conducted in the name of Skylanders or Sponge Bob sales waged by the likes of Walmart or Target.

Bill Kays
      July 04, 2013 - 16:26

Listen here wait what, my saviour is Jesus Christ. I am NOT A RELIGIOUS MAN, I am far from it. I AM A CHRISTIAN, non denomination, JUST A CHRISTIAN. I do not do the big churches, etc. because I am currently Repenting From Religion (book title, you should read it) . I agree with you that religion (especially Christianity) has been the cause of much death and hardships. BUT you should also realize that religion is just another tool in the toolbox of tyranny, being used by the powers that be, of the day. The splintering of Christianity into over 30,000 denominations is just a mockery of Jesus and His works. Skylanders, Sponge Bob, Walmart, and Target, are all just parts of the same problem ... BIG ANYTHING. As soon as man's mind thinks BIG he screws up. You cannot fool Jesus or SPIN Jesus. When they murmur LORD LORD, Jesus may not know them.

• Larry Jenkins
    July 03, 2013 - 21:43

Hey Bill, Deceived about what?

• Adam
    July 03, 2013 - 21:00

@Duda. There's Vancouver Island, Padre Island, Long Island, Martha's Vineyard, Hilton Head Island, Manhattan, NY. To name a few.

• Duda
    July 03, 2013 - 19:12

How many island getaways are there in continental North America?

• LGB
    July 03, 2013 - 17:57

I am 81 yrs old,was born and raised on PEI.Have just had my second motorcycle ride in the Atlanticade parade and in the Confed.Bridge cruise........these definately made my bucket list.Ha ve met people from all walks of life on PEI and have a good rapore with all.If anyone has a problem with conditions on OUR FAIR ISLE no one is forcing you to stay

• Piet Hein
    July 03, 2013 - 16:13

Bill Kays has no opinion on anything because he dislikes everything. He is a one trick pony full of paranoia of the banks, business, government, lobster fishers and probably the guy who sweeps the streets. He sees conspiracies under the bed and spends his time surfing the internet to find sites that back up his paranoid view of life. Ask him about anything and the rant starts about big government or how business is out to destroy the world. Then ask him what he is doing about it and you get silence because the only thing he is doing about anything he rants against is more rants and links to conspiracy websites that back up up his opinion.

• Bill Kays
      July 03, 2013 - 16:53

Popsicle Pete, I see you wish to attack me again. Awe, did I offend your sensibilities? These are not conspiracies. You seem to think that you know what I do, when in fact, you do not know. Big gov and big biz are out to ruin the world, and they have succeeded. It is too bad that you cannot see it. You forgot to mention the public school system that indoctrinates our children to follow direction instead of teaching them to be critical thinkers. Anyway, Pete, I am not going anywhere, so if you don't like it, don't read it. At least you have the courage to state your name.

• Pot meet Kettle
      July 03, 2013 - 18:32

Apparently Bill has a fan, you always seem so interested in verbally attacking any and all that Bill has to say on here, or so it seems...it also seems like you have taken a slice out Bill's books on ranting, only your target is Bill himself. At least he is on to something, you, on the other hand, well you are just being childish. Thanks for the amusement fellas....but you can get a room FYI! In the meantime, I will thank you kindly for the amusement.

• captain canuck
    July 03, 2013 - 15:41

Bill, for once I agree with you. A fluff piece. Sure it's a beautiful lsland to be sure and to be proud, but "Where have all the tourists gone? long time passing". I hope this brings a few to our shores.

• dave
    July 03, 2013 - 14:48

lol come on does anyone believe this. Tourisim sucks here. if there were no cruise ships we would be a ghost town. Lets face it we have nothing to offer tourists to make them want to come , and the cost is way more than its worth

• huh
      July 04, 2013 - 09:10

yet the tourists do come and did long before the cruise ships arrived.

• Robbie Henderson
    July 03, 2013 - 14:25

Real Mature Bill.

Bill Kays
    July 03, 2013 - 13:53

WHO WROTE THIS STORY? Robbie Henderson or other stake holders by the sounds of it. It just sounds like a PRESS RELEASE to me. Just another FLUFF piece. There are too many uncertainties for this story to be really taken seriously. To begin with, look at who owns the magazine (the big banks, specifically America Express) and why they might be biased in their opinion, because that is all it is, an opinion, based on an unscientific survey. Advertising and money all have influence over this GREAT LITERARY publication. Again, an industry based on the unsure, instable cost of gasoline, is doomed to failure. The only question is when? 1- only Travel & Leisure READERS were polled, no other travel mags; 2- gov and industry love to tout their own horn; 3- is there an agreement stating that every 10 years or so we should make the top of the list, why weren't we top of the list each year if we are so good; 4- It doesn't even tell us how many readers responded to the questionnaire;

• Island strong
      July 03, 2013 - 14:44

PEI is an amazing place. A well deserved honour. I travel around a lot with my work, and I've never heard a bad thing yet about PEI from those I've met who have come here. Also it's on the minds of many other people with whom I've met that it's definitely on their Bucket list to visit here. Perhaps you should move to BALI Mr. Kays where apparently according to you people don't spend money, and big banks wouldn't prosper. I can only hope that all the people I encourage to come here with their families don't run into the likes of you, although I'm sure they'll realise that people like you exist everywhere. You should try and get out of the house and explore our Island. Approach the journey with an open mind and you may like it!

• Andrew L
      July 03, 2013 - 14:49

Good Lord, that Bill Kays guy below has completely lost it! Haha... It's a conspiracy! Wow. Moving on, I'm an American whose family owns a cottage on the island, and I would consider it the best island in the world. We come up every year for as long as we can. We would stay forever if we could. I think islanders take their glorious homeland for granted, but us "from away" cherish every single moment we're able to spend in that lovely place. I'm returning in mid-July and I can't wait. I Love PEI!

• Goat lips
      July 03, 2013 - 15:26

Who pissed in your cheerios? And look around this isn't the first Magazine our show to put P.E.I. on top.

• Just an observer
      July 03, 2013 - 15:40

I'm all for being able to express your opinion, but it seems Mr. Kays never has anything good to say about anything on the Guardian website. And that's a shame.

• Bill Kays
      July 03, 2013 - 16:46

Just an Observer, Sorry to shatter the fake existence that many of you seem to enjoy. Reality is not what you think it is. The Bible tells you that most will be deceived and God's word is correct once again. I am not concerned with the attacks on my sanity, my character, or my comments. Bring it on. But at least do me the favor of telling me who you really are by using your real names on these comments, otherwise it appears to be a cowardly act. I like PEI and intend to live here for all of my life. To the rest of you folks, should you not like my comments, feel free NOT TO READ THEM. I on the other hand, will feel free to keep speaking the truth.

• twy
      July 09, 2013 - 10:17

I think Bill you need to calm down and accept the fact that PeI is a beautiful Island,enough said ,it deserves this award.

• Mr Potato head
    July 03, 2013 - 13:46

There should be an asterisks that says 'Your vacation experience may vary during winter months'