N.S. Bacchus gang members charged

TC Media

Nova Scotia members of the Bacchus Motorcycle Club, which has a clubhouse near Murray River, P.E.I., have been charged with commission of an offence for a criminal organization as well as extortion.

The RCMP in Nova Scotia has laid criminal organization charges for the first time against members of an outlaw motorcycle gang.

As a result of an ongoing investigation from September, the RCMP Combined Forces Intelligence Unit (CFIU) has laid additional charges against three members of the Bacchus Outlaw Motorcycle Gang. This is the first time criminal organization charges have been laid against the Bacchus since they were established.

Patrick James, 45, of Dartmouth, Duane Howe, 43, from Grand Desert, and David Pearce, 38, of Dartmouth, were charged with commission of an offence for a criminal organization as well as extortion.

On Sept. 21, the three men were charged with uttering threats and intimidation  following an investigation that involved search warrants at four locations including the Bacchus clubhouse on Hogan road in Nine Mile River, and residences on Renfrew Road and Elmwood Road in Dartmouth and Dyke Road in Grand Desert, N.S.

“This is a first for Nova Scotia and a first for the Bacchus,” says RCMP Inspector Joanne Crampton, division intelligence officer. “Criminal organization charges are a significant blow to this group.”

Crampton says the club conducts criminal activity in local neighbourhoods, she said.

“As we’ve said in the past, the Bacchus attempt to fool people and portray themselves as a group of charitable motorcycle enthusiasts. Today’s charges are once again proof that these individuals are involved in criminal activity.”

The men will appear in Dartmouth Provincial Court on Jan. 7.

Organizations: Bacchus Outlaw Motorcycle Gang, RCMP

Geographic location: Nova Scotia, Dartmouth, Grand Desert Renfrew Road Elmwood Road Dyke Road Atlantic Canada Murray River

Comments

Comments

• SUPPORTER OF THE BACCHUS MC
    January 25, 2013 - 11:09

Support your local black and gold! ML&R

• Bush Baby
    January 09, 2013 - 01:49

The Bacchus on P.E.I. effectively banned Sons of Anarchy gear awhile back via their old Facebook page. They don't approve of the show, and don't approve of anyone wearing SOA merchandise in their "territory". Imagine, a bunch of 40 and 50-somethings acting like this, and posting it to Facebook! I was in Montreal a few years back, and at least the Rizzuto Family was mature enough to spare my life after wearing a Sopranos t-shirt in public. Just FYI, the Bacchus does approve of "Big Bang Theory" clothing.

• boso
    January 08, 2013 - 23:15

HAHAH this is hilarious these MCs have be around for years and earned there respect just like any other, trying to be like SOA these clubs have been around for 30 plus years. Any average joe gets charged and you dont see this much attention but just because they wear a patch society blows it out of paporsion, how often do you see in the paper that these clubs are in trouble hardly ever. ML&R SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKERRRSSS!

• Boso
      January 09, 2013 - 02:38

You are correct,just think 2 RCMP last week charged with Domestic Assault and they get a few lines,the Media plays up the Bikers as it sells papers. The members of these OMG,s hold jobs,have families and are all round great people,if they were not the police would have shut them down long ago.I am sure deep down the police are happy they are here as they get the xtra budgets as well as nice blacked out SUVs to drive around,and lots of over time. CHC and Bacchus will be here for a long time,

• Hey boso
      January 09, 2013 - 10:13

Hey boso or should I say meat loving rider. Are you in a club if so tell us how did your club come to be.

• Hey boso boso
      January 09, 2013 - 15:47

Hey boso I see a lot of clubs on the island military Christan and others. I respect all these clubs they show me respect in return. I can not imagine where you are coming from. I mean I don't think anyone here his said they don't have respect for other clubs. If you and your kind think that respect means you have to be told how your patch looks and how your club runs then really there is no respect there just bowing down and saying yes sir. If you think that's getting respect then you have a twisted view. I think a new club can earn respect with the things they do, ie charity rides, helping out other clubs extra. Why would you as a man even want another club to dictate to you, it's not very manly or stand up Ish, it's more like how an owner treats a dog. I am a man not a dog and if I ever wanted to start a club I would do it on my own and on my terms showing respect to only those that show me respect in return.

• Hey boso boso
      January 09, 2013 - 15:48

• Ok
    January 08, 2013 - 19:57

Ok what's the story what did CHC really do if anything.

• NS Rider
    January 08, 2013 - 11:30

The problem with all this has started with people watching SOA,they will go an buy a 650 Yamaha and some leathers and they are now a bad biker.What the general public does not take into account is the real Mc clubs have been around for over 40 years,and could care less if you and your buddys want to start a riding club or what ever,however do not make the mistake of trying to put a 3 pc patch on claiming an area,thats were people will get themselves in trouble. I am sure when SOA has run its course people will try to emmulate something else and all will be back to the way it was. I am a member of a ns Riding club,and have no problem with these MC clubs,you show them respect you will get it back

• Respect
      January 08, 2013 - 13:46

So what you are saying is to be a club you have to do it the way Bacchus or CHC say to do it. Respect is earned not demand cause your bigger or where there first. It's all BS they act more like SOA then the little group of guys wanting to be a club and put in a charity ride. There are two worlds with in the biker culture one should not meet the other. Have a look at the clubs around here you can tell who's kissing ass and who's not its pathetic to watch.

• Ichiban
      January 08, 2013 - 15:30

Don't confuse TV-land with reality. The courts don't sent people to prison lightly and the two wheel crowd has its bad apples by design. Nice guys until they get in a jam or you get in the way. Fake Respect has nothing to do with it, if you are not them, you are are for consumption and thats reality. Every gang is the same whether its in Naples or Hong Kong or Montreal. Real life is much more interesting than weak scripts. SOA is a comical Days of Our Lives for bikers but I would give you that the Trailer Park Boys probably misguided more fools in the Maritimes than any show. Way to many people took that fiction for reality.

• EGO
      January 08, 2013 - 17:24

Directed to Respect You are so right, it is pathetic. Its all about stroking each others egos. Says a lot about them as individuals. Independent bikers are the true blue biker. These guys spend most of their time getting drunk, and little time on the bikes. If these guys were secure, why would they worry about "POSERS". OMGs will come back with "this and that" to argue the point. Anyone with any intelligence can see through their rants.

• NS Rider
      January 08, 2013 - 20:09

To Respect As stated before ,if you and your buddy want to start a riding club and do toy runs all the best,I do however respect these MC s as they have been around along time before SOA and the Wannabes,and will be around a long time after SOA is doing reruns.Hopefully Star Trek will be back and you and your buddy can put on the Spock ears and tazer people. Like I said before I enjoy our riding club,we do charity work,and I do respect the MC,s,anyone around for 40 plus years has my respect,we are welcome at their public events so what more can one ask for.

• On topic
    January 07, 2013 - 23:02

Things are on topic. All relevant to life at the moment on PEI. Amusing how outsiders think the biker world is mysterious and that no one posting on here may have first hand experience with the life. Quite a few people have an interest in the buzz on the topic and follow the news. Many should not be surprised to find out crime reports get written after real life happens. Good to see the Guardian reporting on these events so the public can be informed and know you're neighbours better.

• Margaret Ross
    January 07, 2013 - 22:58

MaD DOG AND oPINION(?)and others who have personally attacked me ... i'M SORRY I didnt Catch your real names? If you are willing to PERSONALLY attack me please have the ahemmmm decency to use your name and not spit accusations then hide like a coward. Last time I checked we all have the right to our opinion,we need not agree but i REFUSE TO STOOP TO YOUR LEVAL and address anything you have said,JUST PREFER YOU DONT ATTACK me personally if you dont know me. Thx guyz ... I stand strong for what I believe in and not one single cowardly pot shot will lower me ..sorry to disappoint

• Maddog
      January 08, 2013 - 06:31

Margaret no one is attacking you or your fake name just your misguided attitude about what you think the publics view of your accociates should be. Your high level of emotion in your comments and your need to id commenters shows that because you don't find acceptance in normal society you seek it from the fringe . The fact is you sound very fearful of not being on side . I hope you have a better future.

• FAKENAME
      January 08, 2013 - 15:36

No real names are used here or you'd get sucker punched on the street by Mr.Margaret maybe LOL

• Way To Go Margaret
      January 08, 2013 - 22:07

Right on Margaret Great laugh from the Keyboard Crew,could be a great name for a poser club.As we know the general public is unaware of the real biker world. Everyone is an expert,it is a wonder after watching CSI people are not trying to buy a badge and put lights on the ole Cavalier.Hold your head hi as you are above these wannabees. I am sure Maddog is busy polishing his Hyusung bike,haha

• mad mad
    January 07, 2013 - 21:14

Everyone has an opinon, on this the point is this. No one should tell anyone what to do or how to do it this country is based on freedoms. second there are bad apples in every organization, having said that if the organization accepts and allows this behaviour then that organization should be put to task for thier actions.

• Off topic
    January 07, 2013 - 15:03

I think this thread has gotten off topic although the direction has surprised me. I had no idea we had these issues. I see a story that is better then the load pipe debate we seem to have every year. I don't know much but people seem really fired up. The law is the law we all must obey it and if you don't you pay the price. So if I am understanding correctly you need permission from Bacchus or CHC to be a club here on the island? And if you don't get permission they will come after you. Who have they gone after here no one is saying anything about who and what was done. Anyone want to enlighten me?

• Anon
      January 07, 2013 - 17:10

Generally speaking, Guardian commenters watch several hours of crime drama on television every night. Naturally this makes them experts on motorcycle clubs, crime and the justice system.

• OMG
      January 07, 2013 - 18:28

@ Anon Even my 7 year old knows the difference between good and bad, right and wrong, real and fake. Are you saying the average person is too stunned to know that not everything they see on tv is not real? Give people a little credit. The truth always comes out in the end.

• What is your point
      January 07, 2013 - 20:27

I don't see your point no one is claiming to be an expert I see that this is a problem not only in NS but also here in PEI. I believe innocent to proven guilty. This includes these three Bacchus members they need to be herd and answer to the charges against them if they did not do what they are accused of they will be exonerated of the charges. I see people saying CHC has done this same thing to others here. If true it is wrong and should not happen no if ands or buts about it.

• Truth
    January 07, 2013 - 14:24

What I want to know is if what people are saying is true they why is nothing being done about it

• Opinion
    January 06, 2013 - 17:51

Margaret Ross and Jeff Flynn pack up and leave if you don't trust or support our police. Your just a couple of patch kissers

• Mad biker
    January 06, 2013 - 17:21

I am a city police officer and yes CHC did send three of there guys after a group that tried to start up. From what I am told they where upset this other group did not show the respect and aske permission to be a club. Anyhow charges where laid and if you ask me it's what they did is a lot worse then what Bacchus did here but for some reason our system did not take the action our friends in NS did maybe where just to afraid here to do anything. Guess what public it won't get any better until you stand up and say we don't want this playground crap going on here.

• Biker Bullies
      January 07, 2013 - 11:43

Bullying on the playground is exactly what this was! You have a group of boys that don't like anyone playing in their territory. God forbid a regular citizen step into their so-called "world" or territory and try to do something civilian-like and put a bike gang together to raise funds for charitable organizations. I never realized that little ol' PEI was so corrupt, until the boys with their big patches came running down the street and placed some sucker punches on regular civilians, just to show them "who's the boss of PEI". Well, guess what, CHC! Twisted Sister has an athem dedicated just to you - "We're not gonna take it...no, we ain't gonna take it...we're not going to take it...anymore". It may not be the two same individuals next time that are told to go "take care of that". But just remember, Mr. F...whoever you send next time, may not get off quite as easy as the last two goons you sent. You want respect? You will not and are not ever going to get it! Oh, and while I'm on a rant and can see the "puppets" have had their say on here...listen up! You are nothing but a bunch of "wanna bees". It's pathetic how you look up to these CHC people like they're your God! But, obviously if you're a follower of the rest of the bad-boys-on-the-playground, then you're not worth anyone's time either. Good luck trying to fend for yourselves in the future, because when push comes to shove, CHC won't have your back either!

• yahoo
    January 06, 2013 - 14:49

Yes I am a biker and in a club here in the island not a 1% club I have also herd the stores during charity rides and from a city police officer so Iknow its true. I have even met the guys that CHC went after. It makes me sick and want nothing to do with it. As for the bacchus guys when they have there day in court it will be proven or not thats how the court system works and it is what our taxes are for,

• yahoo
    January 06, 2013 - 14:13

• what the
    January 06, 2013 - 14:00

Cops are not the ememy here dont be so narrow minded to even think that. these guys did commit a crime and need to be accountable for it. Please use some thought before you post. and if the comment about CHC is true it will come out in the wash, they cant hide what they are for ever can they.

• It that true
    January 06, 2013 - 13:48

Are the comments about CHC true I mean I have herd stories but thought that's all they where stories. We don't need what happened in NS happening here.

• Way to go
    January 06, 2013 - 13:37

I agree with silver fox and what ever No lets support the victim here I too herd CHC did the same thing last summer. Tax payers money well spent

• Maddog
    January 06, 2013 - 12:28

Go to P.E.I. corporate business names registry and search for " black and gold motorcycle club inc " . If anyone wants to see who the directors of this non profit registered corporation . It is open public imformation . Eight names are listed on the company.

• SameLawForAll
    January 06, 2013 - 11:47

The biggest mistake these biker gangs all made is they joined the wrong gang. If they truly wanted to be untouchable and above the law they should have joined the Mohawk Warriors or the “idle no more” gang. Then you could walk around, do what ever you want and the Government would cower when you looked their way and you could give the finger to the cops anytime you wanted. The true 1%. If the public stood up to you they would be jailed or you could beat them, burn their houses down, block roads-bridges-borders at will and create public mayhem until you got bored silly with it. Until the Law of the Land treats all those who break the law equally then justice is perverted and unbalanced. The Bacchus are clearly a blight on PEI and all groups that threaten our safety and security should be held accountable and the law enforced no matter what you’re DNA.

• Tom Jones
    January 05, 2013 - 08:05

Bacchus: 1% MC 99% idiots. Selling crack has nothing to do with riding motorcycles and living the dream. Get a life.

• Maddog
    January 05, 2013 - 07:34

Hey jeffie flynn That MLR thing actually means " meat loving rider " not what you think it means. I think it must be somthing to do with barbeque I guess.

• Bush Baby
    January 04, 2013 - 17:10

Is the Bacchus clubhouse in Murray River really for sale? I have my doubts as at least three of the seven members are from the Southern Kings area. I'd love to see them go though, as I could do without the roadblocks, and general nuisance of extremely loud bikes every year during the pig roast! I have no "love & respect" for these goons, or their nefarious activities. I don't care how many "toy runs" they do. It's just a matter of time until they join their "brothers" in N.B. and N.S. in a federal pen. Mark my words!

• Silver fox
      January 04, 2013 - 22:04

More people have stood up it happened here with CHC the assaulted a group and where charged they did not want this club to be around so they put a stop to it in my opinion they want way further then Bacchus did but know one here's about this here CHC are just as bad if not worse then Bacchus

• HAHA
      January 06, 2013 - 12:03

Maybe moving out of local RCMP jurisdiction. As to the other guys in Charlottetown sometimes its better the devil you know right.

• Showing support
    January 04, 2013 - 16:55

Showing support for the victim! Very proud of you for standing up!!! More people should be doing this! The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

• ichiban
    January 04, 2013 - 09:46

Only criminals need to worry about the RCMP but everyone should worry about the Bacchus Outlaw Motorcycle Gang.

• PATCHTOGO
    January 04, 2013 - 09:16

Try a search for these as well…...“Witness says Fredericton bar death involved biker - Victim was shouting at a Bacchus member before he was attacked by another”…”Biker club president charged with murder in shooting”….”A former motorcycle gang leader charged with attempted murder following a hammer attack earlier this week”….come on, you have to be blind or a politician not to see the obvious. Charitable motorcycle enthusiasts don’t need a Bacchus patch if all they want is respect and putt’in around on Harley’s….the CFIU are a serious bunch and don’t chase good guys so the best thing for some people is to resign and join the Harley Owners Group which actually is a charitable motorcycle enthusiast group sponsored by the H-D Factory. No body likes to see good people go bad so maybe its not to late to change associations and move on. Complements to the RCMP for doing their jobs well and protecting non-patch holders.

• Truth
    January 04, 2013 - 08:11

So according to this theory the rcmp have about a crminal organization, since 2 priests in saint john have been accused of sexual crimes against children I should consider every person that goes to church a child molester....oh wait I read a story about a rcmp officer accused of rape,guess all rcmp officers are rapist!!! Real smart theories these "intelligence" officers have.

• Justin
      January 04, 2013 - 09:38

Interesting comparision when you linked the Bacchus to pedofile priests and rapist cops. I say they all deserve full punishment for the crime's committed and thats how it will play out I'd imagine. If anyone has committed no crimes, nothing to worry about.

• Islander
    January 04, 2013 - 07:27

I see the Bacchus club members are posting here this morning. Everyone knows the Bacchus club is the maor supplier of illegal drugs to the streets of PEI, running regular couriers over from Moncton and frequently using a motel in North River as their distribution point.No secret there. The RCMP is gathering their information on the club and will deal with them as soon as they have the solid evidence necessary.

• New Biker Gang - The Relativists
    January 04, 2013 - 07:02

The real indicator that these guys are a fundamental danger to society is the price their clubhouse. It's for sale: approx. $77,200. When an organization wields that kind of power and influence, clearly something has to be done. I admire the courage of the RCMP and our legislators and urge them to use our tax dollars to the full. Let's force our investigative units to work 24/7 to uncover this corrupt organization - even it if means putting aside the multi-million dollar PEI - PNP investigation and the billion dollar corporate "thefts" rendered unproblematic by our law makers. Yep, let's get at the real problems of society and kick these bad boys out of the sand box . . . ASAP.

• Peter
      January 04, 2013 - 16:38

Just moving to the new one in Charlottetown....$77K is all its worth for that area.

• Maddog
    January 04, 2013 - 06:35

Poor margaret ross so brainwashed by B.S. If you think this is all a big mistake I suggest that you go directly to your local RCMP and explain that you know its all just a conspiracy . I am sure that inspecter would like to talk to you again . If you stand in a mud hole and shovel eventually some will stick to you. Your friends are digging deeper every day .

• Jim Backus
    January 03, 2013 - 21:29

Oh MaGoo, you've done it again!

• distorted
    January 03, 2013 - 20:12

The only mistake the Bacchus club did was to claim. 1% status. The RCMP is the only true 1% that is above the law. Let's look at all of the occasions that a good officer ran someone over when drunk.. Then walked.

• HAhA
      January 04, 2013 - 10:10

So "Distorted", by the laws of bikerdom the weaker group should yield or join the stronger group then. Imagine RCMP Patches would look kind of cool and they do ride. Maybe someone should have became Cops before they decided join a 2nd class outfit destined to fail lol

• Gobert Bhiz
    January 03, 2013 - 17:29

Good. The fewer of these guys outside of jail the better.

• Margaret Ross
    January 03, 2013 - 17:04

And I quote (in part) ""says RCMP Inspector Joanne Crampton, division intelligence officer. “Criminal organization charges are a significant blow to this group.” The Bacchus has expanded throughout Atlantic Canada, including a clubhouse near Murray River, P.E.I. Crampton says the club conducts criminal activity in local neighbourhoods, she said"" Ok so I am baffled now ... where exactly does the "intelligence" part come in with this dame! What an amazing comment ... that's quite a blanket opinion,thats like saying all the Police force is on the up & up!.LORDY it angers me to have such a biased opinion made public by an official. The Island here must have missed her visit did we? Oh wait ... the Bacchus guys were prob. out doing what they do .... ya know... to make a living... fishing/farming etc. and of course, the corruption must have just been missed?Because I dont remember hearing about a raid or arressts being made/ I really don't recall Murray River Clubhouse being shut down,families torn apart,drugs/weapons seized in the news For her .to make such a blanket statement angers the hell of me. The Bacchus here on the Island are good people and do good and treat others with upmost respect! I dread the upcoming comments .... it's like saying there's a child molester in the family so the entire family are all same way. What matters here is this: Bacchus brotherhood is alive/thriving and doing good for the good here on PEI ...no amt of gossip, criticism or negativity is a match for the strong bond these guyz have for each other and what they stand for. RESPECT!

• Got To Be Kidding
      January 03, 2013 - 21:16

You've got to be kidding. RESPECT? And if they don't get respect then what? Intimidation and extortion?

• Jeff Flynn
      January 03, 2013 - 23:28

ML&R!!! Well said!

• Justin
      January 04, 2013 - 09:27

Margaret, you don't need a $50 patch and all the baggage it carries on you're back to be a good person. Attach your name to the Nazi party and people think you are a Nazi not a good Christian. Ditto for a Biker "GANG" party. Its absurd to puff away like nothings changed when the new association linked these good people to bad people and invited them to PEI.

• Whatever
      January 05, 2013 - 23:15

I wish all you supporters would get off what your on and open your eyes to the reality of what is going on. You try making the police out to be the bad guy and that they are wasting tax payers money, I think they do a great job, I tell you what a waste of tax payers money is its the guy that collects IE then delivers pizza for cash to hide it from EI Or the guy that works but mother of his kids is on welfare. Or ex drug users supporting drug dealers contradiction or what. People don't forget the victim here he's the one that needs support for his stand my hats off to this fellow and I hope more follow his lead. And for the record we don't want them here in charlottetown there is already one that should leave here already

• Really
      January 06, 2013 - 15:09

Margaret really I am really. I hope you never need the police cause if I were them I would not want anything to do with you your comments are disrespectful and uncalled for. And who uses the term Lordy I mean really who does that. And Jeff come on support the police would ya unless you got something to hide or your just trying to kiss up to those you really idolize. If either of you have kids then we know your not teaching them right from wrong cause you both don't have a clue. Oh well more kids for our court systems that never had the proper guidance growing up. Support victims and police do the right thing it's easier then you think

• Tim....quite simply
    January 03, 2013 - 16:10

Hard for one corrupt organization to judge the corruption of another, let alone arrest them....would be my guess...hopefully I am just jaded and am completely wrong in my theory...but again...it is all I can do...hope.

• tim tonkin
    January 03, 2013 - 15:46

If and that is a big IF they are criminals why don't the authorities arrest them?

• Jeff Flynn
      January 03, 2013 - 23:23

Another waste if tax payers money. Laying charges like that for something simple as allegedly uttering threats, lol, what a joke. Support your local Bacchus MC!! ML&R

• enough is enough
      January 04, 2013 - 14:55

For Jeff Flynn, If this is this the type of person you want to emanate, I feel sorry for your sons. For Margaret Ross, do you really expect these people to come right out and tell you that they deal drugs and intimidate people? You must have the nicest pair of rose colored glasses available!!