PNP critic pens controversial book

Teresa Wright

Rob McEachern stands outside a Charlottetown hotel with his new book, How P.E.I. Liberals stole 500 Million Dollars From Canada.

A businessman who has been a vocal critic of the Ghiz government’s handling of the Provincial Nominee Program has written a book.

Entitled “Red Like Me, How P.E.I. Liberals Stole 500 Million Dollars from Canada,” Rob McEachern details his own dealings with the program and his perspective of the way the PNP was run.

He admits it is a controversial book and makes no apologies for its provocative title.

“There’s a lot interesting information that helps connect the dots for people because the story has come out in little dribs and drabs over four years and people are not clear on it,” McEachern told reporters Tuesday.

“This doesn’t answer all the questions but it sure connects the dots.”

McEachern made headlines in May of 2009, first when he was ejected from the P.E.I. legislature for shouting at MLAs from the public gallery, then later the same month when then-Tory MLA Mike Currie was charged with assaulting him.

It was alleged Currie grabbed McEachern in the face and the chest after he asked whether Currie’s wife had benefited from the Provincial Nominee Program.

MacEachern had been spending his afternoons taunting the MLAs as they walked into the legislature each day for the daily proceedings.

Currie pleaded guilty, publicly apologized and was granted an absolute discharge in provincial court, leaving him with no criminal record.

McEachern, meanwhile, left P.E.I. for several months but returned this week to bring his book to the Island.

“There’s a lot interesting information that helps connect the dots for people because the story has come out in little dribs and drabs over four years and people are not clear on it,” Rob McEachern

Standing in the rain in front of the now closed Holman Grand hotel in Charlottetown Tuesday, McEachern handed out copies of his 180-page book to reporters.

The book includes a list of companies that received immigrant investments with names of shareholders and directors attached.

This information was taken from local web developer Peter Rukavina’s website, which was compiled from data that was scraped from the provincial government website in 2008. It is not up-to-date and is missing numerous companies from the list released by the province last month.

McEachern’s book also includes explosive allegations of theft and bribery within the Ghiz government and the P.E.I. Liberal party involving the PNP as well as colourful descriptions of events involving local politicians that played out in the media.

McEachern says he is not concerned about liability with his title or the allegations he makes within his book.

“Not at all, I think it’s fact,” he said.

“I think the whole book verifies the whole program was about stealing, it was about misleading the people.”

He says he believes a public inquiry should be launched to investigate P.E.I.’s Provincial Nominee Program.

twright@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/GuardianTeresa

Organizations: Holman Grand hotel

Geographic location: P.E.I., Canada, Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• James Petrie
    November 12, 2013 - 15:00

I hope the leaders are happy with what they've stolen because your tourist industry is about over. With the beating, starving, and caging of children in the Mount Herbert Orphanage and now the PNP corruption, who would want to visit the saddest most corrupted place on earth? I know that the people are better than that but people from away will not know it's just the "Powers that be" who are directing this less than human behavior. Stop electing the two main line parties and demand new administration in every department of government. You have the power to stop their method of delivery by installing an entirely new party, that is not Liberal, not Conservative and not NDP. It's time!

• Kevin
    January 03, 2013 - 00:31

Mr. McEacherin's has certainly proven his case with this tell all book about corruption behind the PNP. Honest citizens of PEI must stand and be counted even if it means being unpopular. Dividing up the take with so many Islanders has bought the Ghiz government an erie silence which is why outside the Province forensic accountants and Police need to be brought in to start the process of a full and public inquiry.

• Tells it like it is, his version
    December 20, 2012 - 23:01

Read the Book..PNP is definitly an issue that will require an enquirey and close monitoring and WILL NOT GO AWAY....after the RCMP investigation...The Author well that's another story.. He certainly has an EGO ..I did this and I did that,he claims to have arranged some big deals for businesses to come to PEI but were thwarted by local bureaucrats .... and none were successfull in setting up here...and he names them and what they did to ineterfere and see that nothing happened.......his version .....he is bombastic,agressive and vulgar..and definitly has a hard on for the the local law,accounting and immigration firms......He is a legend in his own mind .....we all know people like that.....for a so called high flyer ..he now is bankrupt and certainly bitter at the island establishment......local media takes a hit because he did not like or get the exposure he wanted to expose the PNP scandel as he sees it.....He physically threatens people as well as neighbours...and makes no bones about it.. ..basicaly a bitter ,bitter man who needs mental health counseling for his self-esteem issues.........his target ..the PNP.....we all know it needs to be closely looked at .....his method of doing that in this book leaves a lot to be disired.....personal attacks on people and professions...may make good reading for some people...but his credability is very questionable....His topic extremely interesting......but he did have the balls to write and publish it....I will give him that much credit ..and no I had nothing to do with PNP ...and I'm glad I did not....

• Joe Islander
    December 19, 2012 - 22:04

This story is too funny, first of all calling Mr. MacFarlane a businessman is a kin to saying Wes the Cat is a security guard and secondly people talking about libel suits against him would like trying to get blood from a stone. Mr. MacFarlane should go hide under the rock he came from.

• Sheamus
    December 19, 2012 - 17:27

The book is available at the Charlottetown Bookmark.

• MALECOW
    December 19, 2012 - 16:31

A quick read. A combo of delusion, spin, some facts, stressing of already voiced generalizations, intriguing personal accounts of being in the action, and lots of bullying. Fundamentally no different than what Messrs. Ghiz, Brown, Campbell and Roach have said and done on PNP. Different emphases but the same principles are in play. Interesting parallels. Nice work. Showed some pluck. Might be sued but those government cowards will think long and hard on it first. A rough but important chapter in the PNP saga of PEI.

• walter
    December 19, 2012 - 12:26

"where can I get a copoy" is so right, THE REAL ISSUE IS with government breaking rules and creating new ones to suit their agenda, --- and their friends, --- never mind who got units, - but let's find out who ordered the breaking of the rules, how, when and where---- Gordon Coob was on to that way back, when he was dismissed by Ghiz as a disgruntled employee, --- and Islanders re-elected Ghiz in spite of it all, --- is essence thnak yourselves, - without re-electing him, we might have had this PNP matter behin d us by now.

• pumkin
    December 19, 2012 - 09:14

Can anyone provide information on where I can get a copy?

• Canadian First
    December 19, 2012 - 09:03

I want to read this.....

• Wayne MacKinnon
    December 19, 2012 - 08:43

Kudos to Mr.McEachern for standing up for what he believes in;an example for all Islanders to see you can speak up and not get assinated on PEI if you speak out. It really is time for an independent public inquiry into this controversial program,it is tarnishing our image around the World.We are being looked at as a corrupt Banana Republic, where outsiders are not welcome to do business. All one needs to recall is Rin Tin Tin's comments about the American businessman's concerns about a propane facility's safety near his subdivision. These types of comments do not encourage investors to invest capital to create much needed jobs in our micro economy. Nor does it paint a nice warm,fuzzy picture of a place you would want to visit with your family. Merry Christmas everyone,wish you all the highest good in the New Year.

• actually
      December 19, 2012 - 10:33

You're wrong, Wayne - we're a potato republic!!

• that's a hoot.
      December 19, 2012 - 13:54

Potato republic. . . . that's a hoot. Either that or a pavement republic, except that we're hardly a republic, are we?

• Resident
    December 19, 2012 - 08:26

I wonder if the book details the information on Agent companies? Those handful legal and accounting firms in PEI who first orchestrated this scam, and then capitalized on it by charging 15-45% of each PNP investment for processing work. This is hundreds of millions of $$$. That is where public inquiry should focus on... White colour crime in it's best, except it's also protected by the government.

• Im A Know It All
    December 19, 2012 - 08:19

Good Job Rob ........... As long as its in the Fiction Section in the bookstore you'll avoid any Lawsuits.

• mej
    December 19, 2012 - 08:11

mmmm...I smell the suits from here!!! Hope its got more (correct) facts than the one PC candidate Darlene Compton put out at election time!!!

• Where is it?
    December 19, 2012 - 07:42

This I want to see!!

• rob mceachern
    December 19, 2012 - 07:09

The book is selling well in Ottawa and Montreal. The man who does not read has no advantage over the man that can't. Canada is disgusted. Book available at Bookmark. thanks eh?

• Thomas Milton
      December 19, 2012 - 20:26

It would be nice if you got the quote right. Twain refers to reading good books which I assume is not the case here.

• don
    December 19, 2012 - 02:53

VIEW FROM THE CRICK. i agree with you. but the creed went deeper fake companies that's FRAUD. some ones head will roll down the road but he/she will be a fall guy.but i notice that some of the names on the list there business are now up for sale. lol money is gone or the money is banked and time to get out before there feds come calling but what they do not know is if you sell the feds will still take what ever you own.

• david
    December 19, 2012 - 02:20

You can't legally sue someone who is not mentally sound.This guy will be proven like the so called 3 women who had all the facts which proved to be false. This guy will just become a bigger bar room joke than he was already. I doubt anyone will even spend a dime to sue him because having read thorugh his book it is just plain silliness and i have more sympathy than concern for him. He is obsessed and it will destroy his life.

• Piet Hein
    December 19, 2012 - 00:11

Rob MacEachern got PNP money, but when he went back to the trough a second time he was turned away. He was greedy and did not get more money so he was angry and writes a crap book. Why should we care about anything this clown has to say? He does not care about the ethnics of the PNP program, he just cares that he did not get more money the second time he went sniffing at the pigs trough. He should call his book "PNP Hypocrisy." Him being the hypocrite.

• Joe Blow
      December 19, 2012 - 00:28

Well PIET HEIN...if that is true and Rob DID get PNP money...then he must know something about how the PNP program works and how it benefitted the wrong people. I guess that means that his book is indeed fact then, since he is speaking from experience. Thanks for shedding some light on the discussion. I'm going to take the important information out of your post....I don't care if Mr MacEachern DID get PNP money....a lot of people got PNP money that deserved it and I have no problem with those people....the problem is the amount of MLA's, their friend and family members that created false businesses in order to apply for units of PNP money for the simple purpose of getting stinking rich!!! After reading your post PIET HEIN...I have no reason to believe that Mr MacEachern's book isn't 100% true. Kudos for Mr MacEachern for having the cahones to speak out about the fraud that government made of the PNP program and to give us some facts about what actually went on within this program!! Good on ya!!

• Robert Pendergast
    December 18, 2012 - 22:11

I do not understand why nobody seems to give their opinion unless using a pseudonym. No doubt we all have things we would rather keep to ourselves.

• Let statements stand or fall on their merit
      December 19, 2012 - 11:19

I have the opposite opinion. Other than ego, why tag a comment with a name? Let the statements stand or fall on their own merit. Besides, this forum isn't technically sophisticated enough to tease out false names. It would have been too easy for me to say I am ROBERT PENDERGAST . . . . who knows, maybe I am? All that said, I want to read what Mr.McEachern writes, then I'll comment on what he has written, but not who he is . . . or his personality, or his name.

• ST.
    December 18, 2012 - 22:02

Stand up for what you believe in...even if you stand alone- good on this person for standing up when it looked like it was all going to be swept upnder the rug. Shame on those wo think that it is ok to commit fraud and steal if it "benifits" the island. i for one do not want to be known for that. It is not going away and the guilty need to just start coming clean so as not to go down with the really guilty.

• CHTOWN EASTENDER
    December 18, 2012 - 21:37

Atleast Rob McEachern has the balls to put his view in print, the people of PEI no there was crooked work done with the pnp..... Big TORY AND LIBERAL SUPPORTERS MADE A FORTUNE . the truth will never come out, GHIZ AND BROWN WOULD BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW IF THEY HAD OF BEEN WORKING ON AS STOCK BROKERS WITH THE TSX, INSIDER TRADING TO THERE FRIENDS

• PNP FOLLOWER
    December 18, 2012 - 21:16

Public Inquiry is a must, all the best Rob

• Fact vs Fiction
    December 18, 2012 - 21:08

I would be interested in reading the book to see how much truth is really in it. If it is based on statements that certain people have made over time then there is probably more fiction than fact. To contend that the P.E.I. Liberals stole $500 million is interesting given that the money from the immigrants did in fact go into businesses and were used by them in their businesses makes it hard to see how the PEI Liberals got $500 million.

• fiction vs fact
      December 19, 2012 - 08:22

Do you have any evidence that businesses on PEI got $500 million? From everything I've seen the businesses split less than 1/4 of that amount and everything else was skimmed off by lawyers and accountants. Some of the accounting firms made millions.

• Concerned Islander
    December 18, 2012 - 21:00

Ironic how the building you are holding your book in front of is closed Mr.Low Self Esteem. I wonder how many more business's would have been closed by now if our province has not benefitted from the PNP program? Give your head a shake there Mr great book topic, you are doing the entrepreneurs of this island no favor. Disgraceful acts and thoughts.

• View from the Crick
      December 18, 2012 - 22:39

The sad part about this whole process is that the PNP Program was very positive & helped a great number of Island Businesses but unfortunately some individuals got greedy in the last few months of the program so the Feds had to shut it down....Great Program; but GREED killed it

• don
    December 18, 2012 - 20:58

WANT A COPY. no one is big enough to touch dizzy he is more powerful then God.

• don
    December 18, 2012 - 20:54

Mr. McEachern I agree with you fully but we need a forensic audit into the government books, PNP books from 2007 to the present date. And if the books show anything wrong then if the persons can be charged then charge them. But dizzy will never allow it due to he must PROTECT his butt. But the day will come when someone will talk and we will have a big blow up. You know what they say what goes around comes around. Just think back to water gate how well it was covered up and you know what happened there so dizzy look out your big show will close and some will end up in jail.

• want a copy
    December 18, 2012 - 20:54

I want a copy! Where can I get it? Was in New Zealand last month, people there know about the crookedness of what happened here but we don't. Here, the focus was put on the businesses. The real story is the deception % corruption of government making and breaking rules without even a thought about the legalities.

• well done
    December 18, 2012 - 20:53

Well done, Rob! I am increasingly frustrated and angered by the arrogance and corruption of the PEI government - an investigation is long overdue. I really hope something happens soon to knock them off their perches.......

• Dan
    December 18, 2012 - 20:46

Soooo this was self-published right? I mean, it's not a real "book." More of a blog on paper. If it's published by an actual publisher: I predict they'll regret it to the tune of $50 for every $1 they make selling his book. If he printed this himself at Staples, I predict he'll regret it to the tune of whatever his home and life savings are worth. You can't publish a wannabe book that accuses people of taking bribes if you don't have evidence, fool. Of course they're going to take exception to that the moment anyone pays attention to you. And The Guardian just did. Burn your fake book and run for the hills!

• AMAZED
    December 18, 2012 - 20:33

He thinks it is all fact???Dude you are soooooooo about to get sued!

• tim
      December 19, 2012 - 08:46

Amazed...you must be one of the PNP recipients/supporters OR you are incredibly stupid to think your precious Ghiz and company didn't steal from you..it's a pity you belive in them...guess what, there's also a tooth fairy!!! HAHAHAH!!!!!!

• AMAZED
      December 19, 2012 - 14:47

Tim,nothing would make me happier than to see a couple hundred individuals go to jail for fraud and also have to pay this money back AND remit the proper taxes to CRA.While I am doubtful this will ever happen ,I am cheering on the RCMP investigation into this ,hoping they start at the start when Binn's was in control.I am one of the few who did not know about the PNP gravy train(not well heeled enough I suppose) but if I was writing a book I would be SURE of my facts not just think they are true .I don't own much but I would like to keep it.Kudos all the same to Rob he is no stranger to the spotlight and I hope he exposes more for us tax payers.

• Joe Blow
    December 18, 2012 - 20:29

Fantastic!!! Its about time someone told the truth about how this PNP program has been run. Too many already rich politicians and their families and close friends got stinking rich off of this program by using it in an incorrect manner! Its time law enforcement were involved and ALL the facts about the misuse of this program come to light. While our crooked government continues to bend tax payers over by making it harder and harder to make ends meet.....they steal money that isn't meant for them and get away with it??? There is something drastically wrong with PEI politics and something needs to be done about it RIGHT NOW!!!

• Where can I get a copy
    December 18, 2012 - 20:15

Please provide information as to where I can get a copy