Golf course owner Harley Currie "lived for hockey''

Jim Day

Harley Currie

Golf was Harley Currie’s business, but hockey was his passion.

Currie, who owned and operated Glen Afton Golf Course with his wife Merina, played hockey in about four different rec leagues.

At times, he would lace up seven times a week.

“He lived for hockey,’’ said Merina.

“I’ve seen him go to hockey when he was so sore…He was in such good shape.’’

Currie even continued to play hockey after a diagnosis in September showed that he had cancer in his bladder and in his kidney.

“The cancer didn’t affect his strength at all,’’ said Merina.

He played hockey four times this week before a massive heart attack ended his life Wednesday at the age of 60. Merina finds comfort in knowing that her husband died in his sleep and did not suffer.

Like many, she is celebrating a great life while mourning a big loss.

“He had so many friends,’’ she said.

“He talked to everybody. He teased and tortured everybody. He could take as well as give.’’

Merina says her husband’s buddies at the local coffee shop in Cornwall are clearly crushed. They were all crying when she went through following Currie’s death.

“He was one of them,’’ she said.

He was also very much a part of the hockey fraternity.

Harley played hockey with so many people, says good friend Frank Morrison, that everybody considered him a teammate.

“Rest in peace Big Guy; we hope to see you in the ‘big rink’ some day,’’ Morrison said in an email to Currie’s family.

Merina says Currie had a soft spot for children but loved to talk and joke with all people he came across on and off the golf course.

“He just seemed to know so many people,’’ she said.

“He was a great father to Michelle (Ward) and Jonathan,’’ she added.

“He was always there. And he was a really good husband.’’

Currie put in long hours as superintendent tending to the course maintenance. He could be seen cutting grass during the day and watering the course late in the evening.

“It was run as a family business,” said Merina.

“We didn’t get any government grants. We did with so little.’’

Still, Merina and her husband wanted to give back. For the past 11 years, they have run the Delmar Currie Memorial Benefit Golf Tournament.

The tournament was named after Currie’s father, who started Glen Afton in 1972 as a nine-hole family-oriented course in Nine Mile Creek (it went to 18 holes in the early 1990s).

The tournament has raised more than $100,000 over the years, helping families deal with major health and financial issues.

Merina is determined to continue running the golf course with her son Jonathan and her son-in-law Blaine Ward.

“We will need to hire somebody to help but we will never, ever replace Harley,’’ she said.

Currie’s body is resting at Belvedere Funeral Home in Charlottetown where the funeral will be held Saturday at 2 p.m.

Visitation is today from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m.

Memorial donations may be made to KIDSPORT P.E.I. or the Children’s Wish Foundation.

Organizations: Wish Foundation

Geographic location: Cornwall, Mile Creek, Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Steve and Della Gallant
    December 17, 2012 - 09:52

Merina and Family, We just got the news today about Harley, we are so sorry for your loss....Harley was a good man and will be missed by all who knew him. Take care of your selves and God Bless you all.... Della and Steve Gallant, Ontario

• Andrea
    December 10, 2012 - 13:57

RIP Harley. Wonderful man. I worked with him at Glen Afton Golf course just after college. Great family to work for. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

• Doug Ball
    December 10, 2012 - 09:55

My condolences to Merina and the family.

• Darlene
    December 09, 2012 - 20:04

Harley was one of the most amazing man I have ever met in my life did everything to make anyone smile gave so much to the community he is truly missed at the coffee shop all ready.. We will never forget him ever.

• Joe murphy
    December 08, 2012 - 12:33

I was deeply sadenned to hear of Harley's death. So suden, so soon. I knew this wonderful friend and busness man since my early elementary years at Fairview school. All the best to the famiy to find strengh and energy to move forward in his memory. He will be missed by all. Joe Mrrphy

• dan coulture
    December 07, 2012 - 22:44

Harely will be missed greatly. It will be strange without him around the course but it'll be in good hands with his son.

• Gary Burke
    December 07, 2012 - 20:07

IWe were saddened to hear and read about Harley's death. My wife and I were new members at Glen Afton golf course this year and I had the pleasure to meet Harley as well as seeing all the hours he put in to make improvements to the course. Harley always had time to talk to us and we enjoyed his sense of humor. Deepest sympathy to Merina and the family. Gary & Sumitra Burke..Thailand

• Jim Lynn
    December 07, 2012 - 16:09

Reading the unfortunate news about Harley while in Florida. I have great memories of playing in hockey tournaments with Harley, and against him in the old timers league in Charlottetown. My condolences to his family.

• Wayne
    December 07, 2012 - 14:22

I still can't beleive that I won't see that smiling face as he races up and down the laneway, the two finger wave when you met him on the road, the chats on the golf course when he would take a break from his daily chores. Our prayers go out to the family during this difficult time.

• FAIRVIEW RESIDENT
    December 07, 2012 - 13:22

Harley was a well know friend to everyone in the comunity and surounding areas i am sure. He was a wonderful man and ha many great chats with him. Just meeting his smiling face on the road with a big wave put cheer in the day. RIP Harley

• Jack Wise
    December 07, 2012 - 12:34

Our thoughts & prayers go out to the Currie family. We will keep you in prayer & will always remember Harley's kindness to our family. Wise family from Massachusetts.

• LCCM
    December 07, 2012 - 12:29

I did not know Mr.Currie however I recently lost a brother at a very young age & it pains me so to see another good man leave us so soon.To Mr.Currie & his family you are in my prayers tonight.

• Tara
      December 07, 2012 - 13:26

Harley was truly one of the greatest people I have ever met. He had the biggest heart and always had a smile on his face. He will be greatly missed.

• Jason MacKay
      December 07, 2012 - 13:48

My son Cody and I took up the game of golf at Glen Afton and Harlley and Merina always made us feel so welcome. Harley would always take time to speak to us and really enjoyed seeing youngsters take up the game. I also saw Harley around the rink a lot over the years and knew how much he loved the sport. My deepest sympathy to Merina and the family. He was a great guy!