Single mother of two fighting back from stroke

Jim Day

Hollie Myers of Charlottetown is gradually regaining speech and mobility after she was struck down by a stroke in October. Her boys Hayden, 7, and Lynden, 5, are rooting for mom to make a full recovery.

Hollie Myers’ world suddenly went silent and still.

The 32-year-old Charlottetown woman had a stroke on Oct. 13.

She had several incidents leading up to that significant blow, starting with attacks or seizures. She is not sure what went on, exactly.

Blood tests were done and she underwent scans. No problems were detected. Doctors didn’t have any explanation for her.

“I myself didn’t know what to make of it,’’ Shirley Myers said of her daughter’s disturbing health run.

Hollie believes she had a mini stroke on Oct. 6. Tests were run. Again, nothing was found.

Then came the knockout punch exactly one week later. A serious stroke dumped her in a heap on the sidewalk outside her apartment. She fell three times trying to get to her feet.

Hollie was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital by ambulance. She was later transferred to Halifax where she spent one week in hospital, the right side of her body paralyzed.

She could not move her right leg or her right arm. She could not see from her right eye. She was not able to speak a word for a full week.

Hollie received ongoing physiotherapy and speech therapy following her stroke. Movement has been returning gradually: that promising trend started with the wiggling of her toes.

She was released Thursday after spending the past three weeks at the QEH.

She still has plenty of room to recover. Movement in her right arm is restricted. Opening her fingers is nearly impossible at the moment.

Speech is a real chore. She can speak, but the words come slowly, each with considerable effort, most are difficult to understand.

Yet the single mother is determined to rebound fully, to once again be in a position to care for her two young boys, Hayden, 7, and Lynden, 5.

“I...will...be...normal,’’ she says, carefully forcing out each word with frustration clearly etched on her face.

Kevin says doctors are very optimistic about future and even full recovery because of just how fast his daughter started recovering after the stroke struck.

Shirley, who has been looking after the boys, says her daughter would “like to get back into her own life’’ and away from this current one of suspended ability.

Myers also could use help to cover costs associated with her setback.

To that end, a benefit concert is being held Sunday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. at Morell High School. Sponsored by the Morell Lions, the evening will include a silent auction, 50/50 draw, and plenty of local talent.

Organizations: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Morell High School

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Halifax

Comments

Comments

• bothered.
    November 28, 2012 - 22:52

I really feel for this woman and her children, this is such an unfortunate thing to have happened. my mother also suffers from a stroke at a young age, where is her article? She has been fighting woth drs. For years now and they will do absolutely nothing for her.

• Barry
    November 28, 2012 - 06:31

Come on people lets go to Morell on Sat night ..I dont know Hollie but i sure intend to be there to help out so lets show what the citizens of P E I can really do

• Lynn MacEachern
    November 27, 2012 - 08:35

Hollie, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. My heart broke when I heard the news from Yvonne. She has told me how strong you are being and how you are pushing yourself to get better. Keep up the good work and give it all you have in you to get yourself back to a normal life. It will happen ! You have 2 very special little boys who love you dearly and need their mother. I'm sure you'll have days when you are frustrated and down but try your best to think of all the positive around you. Your family loves you and want you to get better. Lots of luck to you !!

• Courtney
    November 26, 2012 - 15:46

Good luck Hollie..you are a fighter..all the best to you and your family..xo

• SG
    November 26, 2012 - 12:46

Hollie you and your Family are in our thoughts. We wish you a Full Recovery. You have a Great Attitude and Courage hence I know you will be successful. Hayden and Lynden are Handsome young boys and I know they will provide you with the determination and strength you need to recover. I agree someone should set up Donations through one of our Banking Institutions in Urban and Rural PEI areas. I would like to donate but I don't know if I will be able to attend the Benefit in Morell. God Bless.

• CHARLOTTETOWN
    November 26, 2012 - 12:03

My heart goes out to Hollie, I pray for you and your family , that is my worst fear to have that happen and not be able to take care of my children, But with you heart and your faith i know you will be there for your children again. God be with you all, You are one tough lady , don't let this get you down.....

• CHARLOTTETOWN
    November 26, 2012 - 11:57

• Jeff Docherty
    November 26, 2012 - 11:29

Hollie..I don't know you but I want to wish you all the best in your recovery. You are a very strong woman and I pray that you can make a full recovery. Keep up the hard work, you're doing terrific! I wish you nothing but the best.

• tim tonkin
    November 26, 2012 - 09:46

Is there anywhere around Chtown to donate ?

• patsy glover
    November 26, 2012 - 09:34

all the best to you holly and you are very much needed for your dear little boys you don't know me but i was orangally from PEI good luck hun

• Marie
    November 26, 2012 - 09:00

Hollie...my heart breaks for you and your little angels. The therapies may be hard and frustrating, but do them every day. It may seem like there's no progress, and it may take a while, but experience says DON"T GIVE UP. Two angel faces and your parents say so too. The very best to you and yours. P.S. Someone should set up a donations bank account. I know there are lots of big hearts in this world!!! The last thing this young lady needs is any financial stress. EVERYBODY head for Morell Saturday!!

• Bernie Lamphier
    November 25, 2012 - 22:11

Dearest Holly ,You are in my prayers daily. Those 2 beautiful boys need their mom. Being one of your teachers a few years ago,you always showed me that you were very determined and optimistic,so I have no doubt you will have a full recovery. You are so blessed to have such wonderful parents re Kevin and Shirley.Keep up the strong fight. You can do it Holly!!!!!You were always very special !!!! Bernie

• Shirley
    November 25, 2012 - 21:15

All the best to you and your dear little boys.