Driver charged with impaired driving, adding to 10 previous convictions

A 70-year-old man is facing his 11th charge for impaired driving.

ST. ANN - A 70-year-old male from Pleasant Valley, with 10 previous convictions for impaired driving, is now facing an 11th similar charge following an incident Wednesday, say RCMP.

The man has been charged with impaired driving and failure to provide breath samples.

Queens District RCMP say they responded to a call early Wednesday evening of a vehicle in the ditch off Myers Road near New Glasgow.

Police said the local fire department arrived on scene first and located a 70-year-old male attempting to move his car from the ditch. The vehicle was stuck in the ditch and the driver was unable to move it.

A volunteer fire fighter at the scene removed the keys from the vehicle at which time the driver fled the scene.  RCMP arrived and located the driver a short distance away from the vehicle in a wooded area.

The driver was taken into custody and charged with impaired driving and refused to provide a sample of his breath. He was released from custody the following day and will appear in Charlottetown Provincial court on January 14, 2013.

Police said between 1986 and 2004 this same individual accumulated 10 previous convictions for impaired driving.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Pleasant Valley, Myers Road, New Glasgow Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• they should have
    November 24, 2012 - 19:13

Mandatory watching of an autopsy for repeated offenders esp those who kill.

• John MacInnis
    November 24, 2012 - 12:05

A 45-year-old man from Texas has just been convicted of his eighth drunk driving charge, and the jury was only out for about 20 minutes before they came back with their verdict - a life sentence with no possibility of parole for 30 years, when he'll be 75, and I think that's what this unnamed 70-year-old man should be facing in court. I wonder how much time in jail he's done for his 10 previous convictions. Too bad the Island judge couldn't give him the same sentence that the drunk in Texas was given, because he wouldn't be eligible for parole until he was 100 years old, and not many drunks make it to the age of 100.

• Blondie
    November 24, 2012 - 10:37

I say anyone caught drinking and driving should lose their vehicle. to be sold to pay for their keep while they are in jail.Maybe that would stop a few.

• THINK THINK THINK
    November 24, 2012 - 08:56

I would love to know how many of the self righteous people making comments have ever driven impaired themselves, just didn't get caught. I know I have and I would expect most every one of you have too. I'm honest. Are you???

• mea culpa
      November 24, 2012 - 13:52

Thank you for your honesty. I am also guilty of not getting caught.

• Never
      November 26, 2012 - 09:31

I have never driven a car while impaired. If I have so much as one drink, even hours later, I will not drive. I wish I could say I hope you people face the consequences of your actions, but too often that is harm to an innocent person on the roads.

• don
    November 23, 2012 - 18:31

how in Gods name did he get his licence back? what is it going to take for the courts to start giving REAL JAIL TIME not the weekends stay at the grand hotel.

• PLEASE
      November 25, 2012 - 08:56

To Don, could you rephrase your question? How did he get his licence back? Let us keep God's Holy Name sacred, Don. I know you mean well, but, especially nowadays, we need to show our reverence and champion our Faith. God bless you.

• WERESOSPINELESS
    November 23, 2012 - 16:59

God help us all, it's up to the judge now. If anyone thinks this man, if found guilty, doesn't deserve to spend the rest of his natural life in federal prison, I'd really like to know why. Please enlighten me on WHY. Our legal reaction to this man's alleged 11th DUI is going to be DRIPPING with cowardice. I guarantee it. I obviously can't publicly lambaste the judge who loves to let drunk drivers behind the wheel asap, but I think we all know by now who he is.

• circles
    November 23, 2012 - 16:34

All around it would be great to see more roadside checks and not just on wknds. A heavy prescence more often could make a difference.

• Johnboy
    November 23, 2012 - 15:22

Give him 10 years and he wont know what a car is or how to start it...but seriously they should give him a 20 year driving ban

• Gail Duguay
    November 23, 2012 - 15:14

This is disgusting beyond belief, something has to be done insurance should be notified right away and plaster their mugs all over the place a web site for drunks so we can all be aware who these selfish careless people are. Not safe to even drive the roads on this Island.....JAIL JAIL JAIL.

• jakolin
    November 23, 2012 - 14:58

My, my, my, people, you are sounding too harsh!!! Why should this man get 10 years for driving while drunk, but another man who has killed someone because of it, gets away with it, and now some one has no son or daughter, or that poor lady who was killed in Hunter River, where is her drunk driver now? If we are going to do this we have to do it right and start with them first! No more of this crap about not enough evidence(when there was their DNA on the air bag) or hiding the drivers name from the public. They should be pictured on the news, papers, internet everywhere, they should not be able to get weekends, they should have to do full time, we have to put the proverbial foot down and actually mean it!!!!

• Concerned
    November 23, 2012 - 14:43

Great candidate for the new HTA Provisions, beibng proclaimed shortly, but still this guy should get a hefty fine, 10yr suspension and a good stretch of straight time for this. Further, what about the guy driving Impaired in an 18 wheeler, as well same type sentence. Can't wait for these new HTA Laws to be enacted.

• Joe Blow
    November 23, 2012 - 14:19

This man needs to do serious time in jail!!! This man needs to serve at least 10 years in jail and seek rehab. It is up to the justice system on PEI to try to keep Islanders safe and letting this man go so he can continue driving and potentially harm someone is not keeping Islanders safe!

• Mell
    November 23, 2012 - 14:15

What happened to 3 times, you're out???? This man's license should have been taken away long ago and he should not be allowed to drive at all! Come on, judges, get this guy off the road before he kills someone with his car, heh!!!

• LENNY
      November 23, 2012 - 15:23

Mell, re 3 strikes your out... why dont they take away his licence? I'll bet my life his licence is suspended and was most likely taken away long ago... not having a little driver licence in his wallet won't stop him,. Remember, he doesn't respect the law or rules - or he would not have been drunk driving in the first place. Only way to stop him is to put him in jail.

• Ex Islander
      November 23, 2012 - 15:29

Who says he has a licence. People on PEI don't need a licence. That's only for people from away. Licene, Schmicence, who cares.

• disgusted
    November 23, 2012 - 14:10

....and what does this individual get now with his 11th conviction for driving drunk, let's see, his 11th slap on the wrist!!

• UPWESTER
      November 23, 2012 - 15:31

No, that's considered cruel and unusual punishment.

• Tim L
    November 23, 2012 - 14:01

WOW!! this is this dude's ELEVENTH time getting caught....so my question now is WHY did he get to keep his license afer the second time caught?? must be a Lib symapthizer..lol!!! Here's my challenge to whichever judge he has to be senteced by...JAIL (i mean actaul jail...not this weekend crap) plus REVOKE his license permantly!!!! I plead to the sentecing judge to do the right thing and protect the law-abiding citizens, the children, etc and send a CLEAR and CONCISE message to these idots...someone (including this hick) could have been killed for crying out loud...and a publishing his name would help...EMBARRAS the crap outta this guy NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

• hrcbear
    November 23, 2012 - 13:53

What if they are found guilty of driving a boat in a drunken stupor??? does the lock go on the boat or their car if they have one!!!

• hrcbear
    November 23, 2012 - 13:51

In regards to fines for impaired driving or other serious offence, it should be made mandatory to have them paid by a certain date or more jail time will be added on. Giving someone a 1 day in jail is ridiculous, they go to the jail sit arund for a couple opf hours and they are done. For weekends the jail sentence is reduced by four(4) days, ie report before midnight on friday, saturday, sunday and let out first thing in the morning on Monday with a fresh breakfast at that.

• lock him up
    November 23, 2012 - 13:46

He's obviously a repeat offender who doesn't care - so it's a shame he's been released from custody - he should have been kept in so that he can't kill anyone. Perhaps a spell in jail will help him to see the error of his ways.

• hrcbear
    November 23, 2012 - 13:46

Does anyone think that taking his car away from him or putting a breath lock on his vehicle will stop him or anyone from driving while under suspension. Just get into another car with no interlock. Its jail time thats needed and at straight time, weekend terms are not the answer. These drunks hav a character flaw, First offence should be a heafty fine, lost of privileges and 7 days in jail straight time. Seond offence served with notice that the Crown intends to seek a higher level of punishment, ie 14 days in jail, increased fine, noe weekend jail. If he or she looses their job, thuff, there are a lot of unemployed people on PEI to take their place. Maybe then they will smarten up. If they don't pay their fime within a certain time then take it in part from their pay cheque or more jail time. If you need more prison room, take over one of the surplus schools and all the plumbing is there, should be able to refurbish for a minimal amount and hence no crowding.

• Clara-Lynn Gaudet
    November 23, 2012 - 13:42

My question is ....why is this man even on the streets???? Our justice system on this Island is just an embarrassing joke!!! My humble opinion is that ANYTIME someone impaired gets behind a motorized vehicle on the road is committing ATTEMPTED MURDER and should be given a jail sentence their very first time of at least one year. This is an EXTREMELY SERIOUS issue that has been happening on our Island and for a very long time now. It's people from ALL walks of life doing it but seems to be kept hush hushed when it is a public figure! Lock these people that are a danger to society up to make our roads a little bit safer by the day. I am at the point that I find it terrifying just walking down the street with my dog now because of the way Islanders drive. Almost everyday I walk there is at least one incident that a vehicle cuts me off, close to hitting me, doesn't even look to see if anything or anyone is coming, speeds on small streets, etc. PEI has to have some of the WORST & SCARIEST drivers in the world!!!!

• WTF
    November 23, 2012 - 13:38

How does someone get 10 convictions and still think they can disrespect life and law and drive impaired. 70 years old? let him spend the rest of his days in jail. that will be the only way to keep him off our roads.

• CHESTER
    November 23, 2012 - 13:33

This should be an easy one... life time(what's left) ban from driving.Couple of years in the can wouldn' t hurt either however all you do gooders wouldn' t want to see an old man locked up I'm sure.He needs help,right ...bull shit ! An old drunk driver can kill just as well as a young drunk driver.

• Seriously?
    November 23, 2012 - 13:30

10 priors? 10? He still had a license? Wonder how many times he wasn't caught, especially in the last eight years? Take away his license. Take away his right to register a vehicle or buy insurance. Take this man off the road! I know it does not guarantee he won't drive, or drive while impaired, but perhaps he could be out in jail for a nice long spell and then rehab to dry out. He's a menace. This could just as easily have been crossed the line and hit a car head on and killed people, rather than him ditching the car.

• just my opinion
    November 23, 2012 - 13:24

Wow, so early this a.m there was an article of a man driving an 18-wheeler charged with impaired..and now this afternoon a 70 year old man also charge and with 10 priors convictions for DUI........WOW, What is wrong with people?? ENOUGH with the drinking and driving. It is sickening to continually here and read about this.