P.E.I. man dies of injuries sustained in attack in St. Lucia

Dave Stewart

Colin Peter of Guernsey Cove died from injuries he sustained when he and his wife were attacked while walking on the beach in St. Lucia last week.

Andrew Peter says he’s trying to keep “a cool head’’ as he and his family deal with a senseless tragedy.

His father, Colin, of Guernsey Cove died from injuries he sustained when he and his wife were attacked while walking on the beach in Saint Lucia in the Caribbean last week.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO ON THIS STORY FROM ST. LUCIA-TV STATION DBS

Colin, 75, and his wife, Gwen Peter, were out for a walk on Thursday when they were approached by a man who attacked the couple and stole items from Colin.

“My father got accosted Thursday afternoon on a beach and knocked down,’’ Andrew Peter told The Guardian Wednesday.

“The guy hit him with a stick over the head. Basically he was in the hospital over the weekend (in Saint Lucia) and he succumbed to (his injuries) Monday night.’’

Andrew Peter calls it a “crime of opportunity’’. He said the attacker stole his father’s wallet and the bag Colin was carrying which contained his camera.

Vernon Francois, the commissioner of police in Saint Lucia, told the CBC “we have a suspect which we are pursuing at this point and time but the last update I had he was not apprehended as yet’’.

Repeated attempts to reach the police commissioner were unsuccessful on Wednesday.

Lorne Theophilus, minister of tourism in Saint Lucia, said the person responsible will feel the full force of the law.

"There aren't words to express the outrage felt by the government over this incident,'' Theophilus told DBS TV.

Foreign Affairs Canada told The Guardian Wednesday that it wouldn’t be releasing details on the crime “out of respect for the family and to protect the privacy for the individuals concerned.”

The federal government advises people to exercise a high degree of caution in Saint Lucia due to, among other factors, “moderate crime rates.’’

Andrew Peter, who lives in Cape Bear Road, said his mother was still receiving treatment at the Victoria Hospital on Wednesday.

“She is being treated like royalty down there by everybody so she is OK, for now.’’

“The guy hit him with a stick over the head. Basically he was in the hospital over the weekend (in Saint Lucia) and he succumbed to (his injuries) Monday night,’’ Andrew Peter

Colin Peter was well known in Montague. He ran Montague Office Supplies and The Source (formerly Radio Shack) in the Down East Mall.

Merrill Scott, who used to work at Touch of Gold in the mall, said he spent 20 years working beside Colin Peter.

“It must be more than 20 years. It seems like forever. A long, long while,’’ Scott said. “We always chatted and you’d help each other out. He was a good man, a super business fellow.’’

Andrew Peter said he and his siblings — his sister Jill Cobley, who lives with her husband in England, and his brother, Robbie, who lives near Guernsey Cove — are flying down to Saint Lucia on Saturday for the cremation and private funeral.

“Then we’re going to bring him home from there with my mother.’’

Andrew Peter said they will probably organize something for friends and family on P.E.I. when they return.

“We’re going to do something, (probably) a memorial where people can come and say ‘Hi and thank you’.’’

Colin and Gwen Peter went down to Saint Lucia two weeks ago on a genealogy mission where they were “doing some ancestry . . . trying to trace another limb of the tree’’.

Andrew Peter said he’s holding it together, for now.

“I’m used to processing things. I was in the navy for nine years. I was down in the Falkland (Islands). I have a solution to every problem, almost.

“I’ll probably grieve badly when I see my mother down there. I’m holding it back for now. I’m coordinating and moving things through and I have to keep a cool head.’’

GOVERNMENT OF CANADA SAYS CANADIANS SHOULD EXERCISE A HIGH DEGREE OF CAUTION IN ST. LUCIA. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

dstewart@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/DveStewart

Organizations: Montague Office Supplies

Geographic location: St. Lucia, Down East Mall, Montague

Comments

Comments

• Bill Cooper
    December 18, 2012 - 12:03

Are Cdn. tourists aware of the current risk "High degree of caution" as noted for St. Lucia. Tourist dollars may be better spent elsewhere where you don't get clubbed over the head for your a few dollars in your wallet.

• Dan and Vicki Pasel
    November 29, 2012 - 18:36

We are SO saddened to hear of your tragic loss. We are summer-neighbours on Cape Bear Rd. - the 'little place' on the other side of Harm's potatoe barns. Roddy (a former Guernsey Cove neighbour) just informed us of the passing of Colin. Our sincere condolences to the family and may God comfort you all. Dan and Vicki

• The Peter Family
    November 22, 2012 - 15:54

The Family and Staff in both Montague and the Supply Cupboard in Souris are very thankful for all the Thoughts and Prayers- We are gratefully taking these words of encouragement and well wishes to our Mother as we leave for the Service being held in ST Lucia on Monday.

• George Rogers
      January 05, 2013 - 10:46

There's a lot of us in North Devon thinking of you all at this time and hope that you can find peace after this terrible tragedy.

• Butch & Lorraine Stewart
    November 22, 2012 - 11:29

We just heard the CTV news and we are in such shock. Paula and Andrew we offer our deepest sympathy to you and your family at this very sad time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all as you work to bring some closure to this sad situation. Andrew your Dad was a great man and we enjoyed dealing with him when visiting the store. RIP Colin.

• Shell Brown
    November 22, 2012 - 09:40

So very sorry for your loss , sad tragedy.....thoughts and prayers to All.

• FLO
    November 22, 2012 - 09:37

I am so very very sorry for the family .How could this happen ? Our old world as certainly changed and for the worse . God bless you all !!!

• Natasha Peter
    November 22, 2012 - 04:57

We thank everyone for the well wishes, its come as a shock to us here in the UK and feel hurt that our newborn daughter will never get to see her great grandfather in person. Truly a man worth his salt and irreplaceable.

• Mell
    November 21, 2012 - 21:21

Please accept my most sincere condolences. This is a very tragic thing to happen to a wonderful family. My you find peace in your memories so you can let go of the anger. I certainly hope that they catch the person responsible and that person gets what is deserved.

• Bruce Mackinnon
    November 21, 2012 - 20:46

I am so sorry to hear about Colin--He was such a fine guy, I am sorry for the family--Andrew is a fine guy like his dad. Our prayers are going out to them all--may the Lord draw them close to Himself and give them comfort at this sad time.

• Tracey Galway
    November 21, 2012 - 19:43

Robbie and family please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as you go through such a difficult time. No words can express the true loss of such a nice man.

• Crazy
    November 21, 2012 - 16:15

Wow this is crazy news, I've been going to radio shack which now is montague office supply since I was a kid and always remembered him in there, he recently sold me an iPhone 5, it will be different going in there not seeing him around, my condolences to his family

• Richard Anderson
    November 21, 2012 - 14:54

I am absolutely stunned by this news, Colin was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this time.

• Karen Timmons
    November 21, 2012 - 13:22

Oh my God Robbie, I am so sorry to read this. If there is anything you need let me know. Your mom and dad are good people, I am at a loss of words but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.