Trudeau bringing leadership campaign to P.E.I.

Wayne Thibodeau

Liberal hopeful will spend two days on the Island next week lookng for support from party faithful

Liberal MP Justin Trudeau laughs at a joke he was told as he met the crowd at the 2010 P.E.I. Federation of Labour picnic in Victoria Park in this Guardian file photo.

One of the most recognizable faces in Canadian politics is taking his leadership campaign to Prince Edward Island.

Montreal MP Justin Trudeau will spend two days on the Island next week looking for support in his quest to become the next leader of the Liberal Party of Canada.

Trudeau will be at Jewell’s Farm in Cornwall Monday afternoon at 12:30 p.m. before heading to the Vanier Centre in Wellington at 2:30 p.m.

Trudeau will attend a Liberal Seniors Commission event at 5:30 p.m. before attending a meet-and-greet at The Guild in Charlottetown at 7 p.m.

The leadership hopeful will be doing some mainstreeting with Charlottetown MP Sean Casey Tuesday morning before leaving the province mid-morning.

Casey says Trudeau is doing his homework.

“Every single riding in the country is weighted equally in the leadership contest,” said Casey.

“The riding of Cardigan, the riding of Malpeque, the riding of Charlottetown, the riding of Egmont are no less important than Toronto Centre, Toronto Danforth or Vancouver Quadra.”

Trudeau is no stranger to P.E.I.

He created a social media buzz this summer when he tweeted pictures of him and his family vacationing on the Island, including having lunch on Victoria Row in Charlottetown.

“He’s actually a great friend to P.E.I.,” added Casey.

The official leadership campaign begins Nov. 14, a day after Trudeau is on the Island.

On April 14, 2013, the party will elect a new leader. For the first time, one does not have to be a card-carrying Liberal to vote.

The party will allow supporters to vote and they can do so online.

Each riding will be weighted equally, each receiving 100 points not matter how big the riding.

That means if Trudeau gets 50 per cent of the votes in a particular riding, he would receive 50 points.

Trudeau isn’t the only leadership

contender stumping for votes on the Island.

On Wednesday, Alex Burton, a B.C. Crown prosecutor, was on the Island. He’s a little-known Liberal leadership candidate.

Martha Hall Findlay, Joyce Murray and Marc Garneau are also expected to enter the leadership race.

Casey said he has not yet said who he will be supporting for his party’s top leadership job.

“I am genuinely excited about Justin’s candidacy, as it seems are most of the general public, Liberals and non-Liberals alike. I do think it’s extremely important that he be tested and that this not be a coronation and that it be a contest.”

Organizations: Liberal Party of Canada.Trudeau, Vanier Centre, Liberal Seniors Commission The Guild Toronto Centre

Geographic location: Iceland, Charlottetown, Cornwall Wellington Vancouver Quadra

Comments

Comments

• snowbird
    November 09, 2012 - 20:24

Justin Trudeau is as shallow as a face pan.....the Liberals had their chance to pick great leaders. ie Wells, McKenna and Tobin. Old Chreitien had to stay in there too long and they missed their chance.

• BOB Lewis
      November 22, 2012 - 23:51

Justin is a brainwashed Liberal millionaire. If he looked at the Liberal programmes that he loves closely, he would see the damage they did to this country. They took millions out of the Youth and Heritage funds to funnel into the Lberal coffers. I have looked at the financial statements of both Katimavik and Canadian Youth World Council . In the early 2000's 54$ million per year went into two programs that affected only 1900 youths/ year. Where did all the money go?... the return on investment was ridiculously calculated. We could have sent 30,000 youths to camp for less. The Liberal programs were similar to The ADSCAM fiasco. money pumped into advertising agencies who supportd the liberal party. GLAD to See Liberal programs be shut down. They took away our Navy in the 60's to 90's. Trudeau and the Chretien Liberals ran this country too long financed by these programs. Just look up who were on the board of directors of the programs. Well off Liberals who sent money back to the party. Wow what a great way to stay in power. We needed fast patrol vessels, like the FHE 400 Hydrofoil to preserve our Fishing grounds, so they scrapped the programm in favour of ships to be built in Quebex and New Brunswick. Arrogant Liberal Millionaires looking after Millionaire Liberals is not my choice. Hope others realize what they are.

• Bob Lewiis
      November 23, 2012 - 00:07

Why do Newfoundlanders vote for Liberals? I remember Brian Tobin in 1995 going down to Massachuttetts for a Fishery Ministers visit when we caught a fishing vessel that was using the wrong gear in oour waters. It was 20 yearss since we caught the last one.. Oh it was in a US port because they helped us catch it. Because Trudeaus govt. cancelled the fast patrol boat program we couldnt do it alone. No wonder 2 years later Canada discovered the fish stocks were gone, then Brian quits and goes back tto the Rock to be a Premier of the Unemployed. WAKE UP Canadians!!!!!

• grumpie
    November 08, 2012 - 20:35

hope that Islanders wont fall for another trudeau, wasnt the last one enought for you, oh, you got easter, dont be baffled by BS , or dazzled by lack of brillance, again.

• Charley Best
    November 08, 2012 - 18:56

Justin Trudeau??? Why in the world would he be chosen other than his family name. I am so burnt out on politicans and Prime Minister wannabes. He should pull out now. Why do these younger people think they can ride on the coatails of their fathers?? He has always got to be in the lime light, get photo opts. There is only so many pictures that we want to see. Our PMOffice is attracting less talented people. Now it is all about them and not about Canada. The PMO has a great salary and lots of perks something young people can't live without these days. Everyone thinks they're a STAR.

• John MacInnis
    November 08, 2012 - 16:26

I was in Grade 3 when Trudeau ran in his first election back in '68, and during recess and lunch times students through Grades 1 to 4 would be in two large groups in the schoolyard on Linden Avenue. One group of students would yell, "Stanfield", and the other group would yell, "Trudeau", and as an eight-year-old student (we were called "pupils" then), I decided to hang out with those who were yelling, "Stanfield", and I don't recall why I was with the Stanfield gang, as I didn't care about politics at such a young age, but I had a rebel yell for Stanfield, so I can say that I've been a conservative, minus the "progressive" stuff, for more than 44 years. My favourite election party was in downtown Toronto when Mulroney and company won 211 seats, a record I believe Stevie Joe will break in 2015 when Trudeau is the Liberal leader. Smilin' Jack is gone now, so the NDP won't get as many seats in 2015, and with Trudeau as the Liberal leader, I don't think voters will be all that interested, because the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and that's the way that the world goes round, so voters need to always be cognizant of that.

• John MacInnis
      November 08, 2012 - 20:16

I didn't mention the date of the election when Mulroney won 211 seats, so......the election took place on Sept. 4, 1984. Mulroney and the PCs won 211 seats, John Turner and the Libs won 40, and Ed Broadbent and the NDP won 30. Just wanted to add that info.

• Garth Staples
    November 08, 2012 - 13:24

What campaign? Another Liberal coronation just like Ignatieff and we all know what happened to him. Remember his father PET plunged this country into defidit and debt. Check it out.

• Nudge Nudge Wink Wink
    November 08, 2012 - 11:47

Dog and pony show. The folks ain't buying it anymore. The rancid level of corruption is awakening the once complacent.

• Joe Blow
    November 08, 2012 - 11:34

I'm all done watching the son of a former famous Prime Minister or Premier try to con people into voting for them. Robert Ghiz conned Islanders and now we will have to pay for his bad decisions and mistakes for decades while he sits on a big fat pension that he does not deserve. I refuse to vote Liberal or Conservative ever again!!! They have done nothing for the country or the province of PEI. As long as there is an NDP party or Green party to vote for, where candidates actually care about the people in their ridings and care about doing the right things for Canadians....I will be voting for one of those parties. The Tories and the Grits are just full of liars and crooks. Trudeau is a moron who is trying to get a job based on the success his father had. The difference is his father was a smart passionate man, Justin doesn't have a clue and just wants some more money so he will never have to work again!!! Plus....anything that Sean Casey is involved with is rotten to the core. Sean should go pay back all of the PNP money him and his wife have taken from Small businesses on PEI!!

• dm
      November 08, 2012 - 14:27

well said, if only everyone would wake up and see the light eh

• guardianreader
    November 08, 2012 - 11:26

Is this the same Justin Trudeau who lead a standing ovation for Giles Duceppe(separtist) in 2008 Giles a man and a part y Pierre fought against for years and his son Leads a Standing Ovation I might and Shawn PMP Murphy also stood and appladed Giles Shawn who representsnted a riding were confederation began, Great Canadians I think NOT wake up people of Canada .

• Carmen
    November 08, 2012 - 11:23

Come on folks, stop picking at the poor boy....close your eyes, and mouthes and open your ears.... maybe, just maybe, he's smart. If he's not, hey, things can't get "much" worse can they? Every politician makes promises they seldom keep.... at least he's something to look at! eh ladies?

• Bertie
    November 08, 2012 - 11:13

No thanks Justin. No more sons of past Liberal heroes. We have had more than our share on PEI lately thank you very much. NDP all the way! No need to backslide now.

• NDP Bob
    November 08, 2012 - 10:49

The Derek Zoolander of Canadian politics. Nice hair and a cool last name with nothing between both ears. Justin is the only politician scarier than Harper

• ED GALLANT
      November 08, 2012 - 11:16

I would seriously doubt that you are qualified to pass judgement on anyone, let alone Justin Trudeau. I would love to see you go head to head with JT. Stipulations being that you can only say once "I know you are but what am I".

• Thumper
    November 08, 2012 - 10:01

Give me a break!! What would Trudeau know about anything let alone being Prime Minister of the country.

• Sylvia
    November 08, 2012 - 09:58

We're not seeing much of Robert Ghiz these days but I'm sure he'll be having lots of photo ops with Mr. Trudeau.

• Joe
    November 08, 2012 - 09:44

Yeah he is special. Another daddy wanna-be.

• casey should bow out to show support
    November 08, 2012 - 09:34

If Trudeau is doing his homework he should dump Casey the PNP millionaire. Liberals have particularly complicated issues here in PEI and we have little appreciation for famous sons. Take Casey and all the points with you. Get lost.

• SG
    November 08, 2012 - 09:25

I will not be voting for Justin Trudeau or the Federal Liberal Party. The son of a former PM does nothing to impress me. When did he become a friend of PEI? When did he visit PEI previously? I must have missed him. I've never heard about or seen Justin Trudeau being on PEI previously.

• big market
    November 08, 2012 - 09:20

Oh wow... PEI is such a huge market for JT. 140,000 people - about the size of a single constituency in any other province. But he spends 2 days here. Tells you how far the Libs have fallen from the radar in the rest of this country. I'm going NDP.