Protesters back at highway work site this morning

Ryan Ross

Published on May 30, 2012

Darcie Lanthier, interim Green Party leader, in this Guardian file photo.

Published on October 09, 2012

Protester Roy Johnstone takes cellphone video of the clearcutting.

Published on October 09, 2012

Peter Bevan Baker and anothear protester wave and yell at a machine operator in an eddort to halt work.

PROTEST TUESDAY

Published on October 09, 2012

Former NDP leader Jim Rodd speaks with RCMP after he was removed from a restricted area.

PROTEST TUESDAY

PROTEST TUESDAY

Published on October 09, 2012

An RCMP officer keeps an eye on some protesters

Published on October 09, 2012

Workers erect snow fence to keep,outd the protesters

Published on October 09, 2012

Protesters take to the trees in an effort to avoid police

Published on October 09, 2012

RCMP remove Peter Bevan Baker and another protester from a restricted area.

Published on October 09, 2012

Protesters camp in the hemlock grove

Published on October 09, 2012

RCMP come onto the Bonshaw site to remove protesters who entered restricted areas.

PROTEST TUESDAY

PROTEST TUESDAY

NEW HAVEN — Approximately 30 protesters are at the construction site this morning in an effort to save 200-year-old hemlock trees from destruction in the path of the Trans-Canada-Highway realignment in New Haven.

Protesters are waiting for the arrival of RCMP who are expected to remove them from the path of approaching crews clearing trees for the highway project.

Drizzle turned into a steady rain at the site this morning, drenching protesters who struggled to keep lit a sacred Mi'kmaq fire near their tent camp along a stream bed.

Tuesday, RCMP arrested a woman who blocked construction workers and refused to leave the work site after another day of protests Tuesday.

RCMP Sgt. Andrew Blackadar said the woman lay down in front of one of the machines used at the site and the RCMP had to physically remove her.

“She was asked to leave, told to leave and then finally she was arrested,” he said.

Blackadar said the woman, who initially refused to identify herself to police, would likely be charged with mischief and resisting arrest.

Green Party interim leader Darcie Lanthier later posted on Facebook that she was arrested.

Blackadar said the police also escorted five or six people from the site without any resistance and four or five people were issued summary trespass tickets.

It was the first day the contractor was working at the site since the Transportation Department erected snow fencing to keep protestors away from equipment.

Last week the RCMP told the contractor it couldn’t proceed with work while unauthorized people were in the construction zone because it was a safety hazard.

Blackadar said there were still people in the woods at the site Tuesday after the arrest and trespass notices, which they were allowed to do as long as they stayed outside the snow fence.

But most of those protesters didn’t stay outside the fence, including several people who planned to spend the night in one of several tents scattered around a stream along the construction path.

Throughout the day people sat in some of the hemlock trees near the stream while the protesters waited for the construction to make its way to the camp.

Despite the protesters attempts, work proceeded throughout the day and the contractor managed to clear out a section leading up to the highway.

There was a bit of commotion later in the afternoon after an air horn blast sent people scurrying around the woods with some saying “they’re coming.”

Several workers had walked down to the camp and told the protesters they were going to clear out the trees near the camp as soon as work on the other side of the site finished.

That’s when a call went out through social media for as many people as were able to join the protesters at the camp.

Some of the protesters also pulled out cellphones and started to call around for reinforcements.

Not long after, another woman told the group someone sent her a text message to say the police were on their way and that people had to make up their minds about what they were going to do.

“This is it,” she said.

But it wasn’t it and by the time the sun went down the construction equipment was still in the field between the clear cut and the woods where the protesters made their camp.

The only break from the norm after the initial alarm was when about 25 protesters emerged from the woods to sing Amazing Grace across the field before they filed back down the hill.

Other than the morning’s arrest, there weren’t any more confrontations between the RCMP and the protesters.

But while the current Green Party leader was willing to get arrested, the upcoming leader was not.

Peter Bevan-Baker, who will replace Lanthier as leader in November, was one of the people who got a summary trespassing ticket for more than $200.

Bevan-Baker said he didn’t plan on crossing the fence to get charged with trespassing and only wanted to stop the machines from cutting down trees.

“That was my sole intent,” he said.

When it comes to getting arrested, Bevan-Baker said that’s something he absolutely doesn’t want to see happen.

“With the position I’m about to assume that would be a very foolish thing to do and I’m not particularly happy about the publicity that surrounded this, by the way,” he said.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Organizations: Trans-Canada Highway, Transportation Department, RCMP

Comments

Comments

• Lillian
    October 17, 2012 - 15:08

To Joe. What are you people going to do when there are accidents on the new Ghizway -build a new road because there was an accident on the new road- get a grip Get drivers to stop drinking,drugging ,speeding and texting while driving And SLOW DOWN OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT

• louann
    October 15, 2012 - 07:14

I am from "away" and i must say how proud i am of the folks who are taking a stand . For years, people on the Island passively accepted what ever the politicians threw at them, as if they were GODs. We now have a new generation who are tired of the passive aggressive behaviors of the past and standing up for the future. Good for you !!!!!

• Mag
    October 11, 2012 - 11:49

maybe the same place you dragged up the term tree hugger Janet.

• Im out
    October 10, 2012 - 13:30

We could have put that money elsewhere or not use it at all... why do some islanders want more debt?? what is up with this addiction to debt?? There are accidents everywhere on every road, if not, it poses the same potential for an accident. All you need is distracted Drivers to have an accident. There is something more to this highway construction BS. I drove on that road so many times, under the limit/over the limit and NOT ONCE did i feel threatened by the road or other cars or even threatened myself. I felt more threatened by all the tunnel visioned drivers in town. im getting out of PEI, it makes no difference where i live in Canada anymore. "Business over people" is the soon to be slogan for PEI.

• I'm leaving forever and ever Amen
    October 10, 2012 - 13:02

I am so frigging done with PEI, people in PEI, the PEI government, Island business owners, all the roads, all the signs, all the (lack of) job ads, the buildings, the air, the smell of PEI, the overrated "we-all-love-PEI" propaganda that pushed down our throats everyday, the narrow-mindedness, the close mindedness, the junky loud annoying cars on the streets, the run down housing in Charlottetown, the overpriced newer apartments, everyone attitudes (including my own, lol), the PEI accent, the drama, the small-town I-have-more-money-than-you arrogance, all the weekend drunks, every employer, Bonshaw, the highway, the trees, the banks, the protesters, fiddle players and step dancers, the PEI culture, the art and film community, the public library, confed center and their shows and owners, all the coffee shops (aside from Robins), the incest-looking-faces-that-stare-at-others-awkwardly-on-the-street, everyone I went to school with and their families (aside from my few best friends, hate everyone else), the Big Pharma, Hollywood, Mitt Romney... okay, I'm done. Now time to go and puke up my intestines with utter disgust and distaste for this insane (Insane: by Einstein's definition) province PEI.

• TO I'M LEAVING FOREVER . . .
      October 10, 2012 - 13:50

TO I'M LEAVING FOREVER : Mr. Ghiz - things may look bad to you now, but give it a few days and you'll be alright. Honest - a good sleep and, heck, let's all sing! For he's a jolly good fellow . . .

• Feel sorry for the road builders
    October 10, 2012 - 10:47

Road builders have to feed their families,they are friends and relatives and they love their children - just like you and me . So, I bet you almost to a person they would rather be building something meaningful - something that would make life better for Islanders. Instead, they are building this horrible waste of tax payer's money. These road builders are not stupid people, they skills and knowledge. Above all, they know the roads, they know places on PEI that need work much more than where they're working now. It's no shame to want to work and feed families - they should be proud of their wish to contribute. What's a shame is that corporate and political decisions were made that all but force them to do something so beneath them.

• SG
    October 10, 2012 - 10:12

To Joe: (I believe we have been very lucky not to have lost more lives on this dangerous stretch of road.) How many lives were lost on this TCH? I've asked the question a hundred or more times. I've yet to get the answer and the Stastic/Accident Report as to the number of accidents/fatalities has Yet to be made Public. Why wouldn't the Report and Stastics be made public if this HGWY is so dangerous?

• Get a grip People
    October 10, 2012 - 09:52

I am not going to get into the debate of whether the proposed project is worth the millions of dollars, but if these tree hugger jokesters keep at, it's gonna cost a lot more by the end of it. I think the RCMP should round up all the protesters that are interfering with construction crews from doing their jobs, and then bill that group of people the extra thousands of dollars the hold up has cost in holding up progress. Like it or not, the government is in power, you dont like what they are doing, vote against them in the next election. Otherwise go hug trees on some crown land somewhere where 95 % of Islanders can't and dont want to see ya.

• A Voice
    October 10, 2012 - 09:20

A voice is necessary to make change...to address concerns, whether it comes from the trees, with the wind blowing through it, or somebody " in the trees " a voice wants to be heard. People standing up for what they believe, shouldn't be reidiculed whether it be right or wrong. The gov't has a responsibility to listen to all voices, from both sides, and this didn't happen! As the late Raylene Rankin so eloquently sang, in her song " We Rise Again " take heed. The people will be heard and yes, " in the faces of our children " , and " the voices of our songs " so no more drama, the people have spoken whether it be small in numbers, or great, this plan B is all about " Bulldozing " the people who have rights!! I am not at all pleased especially when good money is being spent on a bad project such as this one. Leave well enough alone, and create work for a better cause!

• rip democracy
    October 10, 2012 - 08:57

What a sad day.............despotic rulers spending money we don't have............ignoring the concerns of so many environmental groups............no proper reasons given for this shameful waste...............if I do a bad job, I'll get the boot - how come we can't get rid of the Ghizzies? Nobody trusts them anymore and we have to have them looking after their own interests for another 4 years?? Terrible........

• whatnow?
    October 10, 2012 - 08:57

All this to save trees but what do i see in picture 13? Protesters at their camp having a fire, which burns WOOD. You are tree killers too!

• don't be stupid
      October 10, 2012 - 14:05

The protesters are trying to save some very rare trees - they're not cranks. I'm against Plan B for many reasons including the environmental destruction that will ensue, yet I burn wood in my home. But I certainly would not cut down a very old and rare tree, nor would I endanger a precious untouched ecosystem - there's so little pristine woodland left on PEI.

• SG
    October 10, 2012 - 08:42

SportsFan: I dont' know if they're selling any of the trees for Firewood. IMO they should give them away for FREE as if your an Islander we've already paid for them ten times or more!.

• Get Real
    October 10, 2012 - 08:33

I have been reading the comments, listening to the radio and watching the news. Plan B is not a good idea, either have most of the other decisions the Ghiz government has made since they came to power. We saw during his first term in office that he and his liberals were not right for the job. Has no one pulled their head out of their behinds long enough to see who is really to blame, for our wonderful island going down the toilet. Yes the Ghiz government is to blame to a point, but most of the blame should be on the voters themselves. You voted the man in!!!!!!! Not once but twice. All because most people on PEI will only vote for one party because that is how their parents voted or how they have always voted. People can complain, protest etc. it will not work. The highway will get done no matter what, except probably cost more from all the delays. If you really want to make a change then stop voting the crooked liberals in. You have no one to blame but yourselves!!

• Get Real it's not easy to be realistic
      October 10, 2012 - 12:06

Get Real, you may be right, perhaps when I voted Liberal in the last election I was an idiot, but I'll tell you why I did it. First, I was raised a Liberal and voted Liberal all my life (retired now). However, in 1994 when the Liberals made the decision to break a signed legal contract to implement a 7.5% rollback - I swore I'd never vote Liberal again. Then Mr. Robert Ghiz acknowledged that the 7.5 decision was inconsistent with Liberal principles - it was wrong. Perhaps it was my indoctrination. maybe you're right and I was just an idiot, but I believed him. And now this Plan B - it's the very same set of values that slammed us with the 7.5 - deceptive propaganda, undue corporate interests driving policy, and lies. No, this time I will never vote Liberal again. Why? Simple, because there is no Liberal party on PEI - it exists only in name. In fact, it's just a tradition of deception.

• Gus
    October 10, 2012 - 08:32

Good for the Green leaders and party members. They have more courage than I do. I have one close relative who lost his job in the spring and another I fear woul be harassed if I spoke up. I do honk my horn when I go by the protestors. I would not call myself an environmentalist but I am not going to be fooled any more like I was when I voted Liberal last fall. I will not vote Liberal any more. This Plan B thing is a waste. It was done to pay off people and this is all out in the open. There is no mystery here. Some pretty big Liberals, friends and relatives of our elected leaders and ministers, have put cash into their pockets on something that is not needed. Others have been driven out of their homes. My daugher cried when she read the story about the DeLongs. I will never vote for Wayne Easter again either. On CBC Radio this morning I heard he was backing the project. He had no business doing that. None. I am done with the Liberals and will vote Green or NDP in elections from now on. I do not want people like Ghiz, McKiney, Docherty, and Vessey and even Wayne Easter around in positions of power and influence any more. This is too much. Way too much. These protestors have more courgage than I do and I will not turn my face away any longer. Blast the Liberals, I say. To blazes with them. Shame on people coming on this site and defending them with lies and deceptions. Shame on you all. I have had enough.

• Gary
    October 10, 2012 - 08:09

"Everyone knows islanders drive 50 km/h uphill and 150 km/h downhill no matter the terrain" - if this is true 'WERE SO SPINELESS' why bother changing the highway? You may want to note that the longer the comment the less people read it. Except for the famous 'tree-huggers' most people's attention span is about the length of a Budweiser commercial. BTW, I'm not sure which branch of IT you're in, but common usage is to use an apostrophe in "we are", which then makes it "we're".

• Straight Roads
    October 10, 2012 - 07:36

Maybe the Islander that invented the software to show the running total of the 50/50 draws could install a screen to show tax payers how much $$ is being wasted by the protestors slowing down construction & progress.

• Forgetting
    October 10, 2012 - 07:10

Just a reminder - are you all forgetting that PEI owes a great deal of money that our childern & grandchildern will have to pay off at some time . Watching the US election , a statment made by Rommy suits so well here . If we have to borrow money to do it , then it shouldn't be done . That logic sure applies to this issue when you consider that this Liberal goverment will be borrowing 8 + 4 + over runs millions to do this project . Is it really needed if drivers followed the rules of the road . I think not . Shame on us for allowing these people to put our kid's in hole so far . You Liberal supporters should really be proud of yourselves

• the kids
      October 10, 2012 - 12:21

The kids aren't going to stay here and suffer the consequences of their forefathers. They will move... and eventually, there will be no one on PEI anymore. It'll be one giant resort for tourists. The retired will die, the kids will move and the Elite will sip their wine as the province sinks to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. I'm leaving, others are leaving, plenty have left and many more will follow. Give it 20-30 years.

• Champ
    October 10, 2012 - 07:09

How stoned do you have to be to become a protester?

• Good question Champ
      October 10, 2012 - 12:10

Answer: One toke less than it takes to become a premier?

• One Islander's Opinion
    October 10, 2012 - 06:25

History has taught us that the first weapon of despotism is to create a sense of futility. If you can convince people opposition to a cause is hopeless despotism wins - all the time, every time, no exception. Despots and their enablers have always belittled those who oppose authority as few and foolish. The strong always characterize tge weak as ignorant of the facts and not worthy of respect. Throughout time, such mechanisms have been used to manufacture racism, suppress women, the poor, and more recently, environmentalists. And does anyone really think that our democracy, on this tiny Island, is unbreakable? That it can withstand propaganda, apathy, instant gratification, the love of power and greed? If so, we are sadly mistaken. Does anyone really believe countries are kind and democratic and then all of a sudden turn bad overnight? Do we believe that democracy is only lost in other places but never our home? Sure, Plan B may look like a tempest in a teapot, something small and silly - but is it? If we ignore this wrong do we ignore the next one too . . . and the one after that? Putting all politics and blame aside, I am quite confident that most Islanders know Plan B is wrong and that we have made a mistake. But how confident are we that we can fix the mistake? What, at this point, does a fix even look like? To do nothing is more than a small step in the wrong direction. To this end, my heart and my thanks goes out to those who are opposing those who are enabling a sense of futility - and in this case, Plan B.

• Paula D says no to Plan B
    October 10, 2012 - 06:14

I'm very concerned the people spoke and said no to Plan B and now some of our brave citizens are standing up to say no and getting arrested. PEI are you sitting on the fence and allowing the gov to do what they want regardless of the wishes of the people , maybe it's time to change that. Remember the gov only has power because we allow it. Maybe next election your voice will come out and let them know you work for the people not your pocket books and the interest of a few who benefit from these ventures. We gave them the power by voting them in,maybe it's time to take it away. When the people speak they need to listen

• patrick
    October 10, 2012 - 05:12

Fools!! Go home before someone gets hurt!

• joe
    October 10, 2012 - 03:41

Has anyone ever notice where most of the memorial crosses are on our roads? Mainly around blind hills and dangerous curves. I believe we have been very lucky not to have lost more lives on this dangerous stretch of road. Good work liberals!

• What's the point Joe?
      October 10, 2012 - 14:01

Joe, I would pack up, go home and let Plan B, well, be. However, there is not even one accident that can be attributed to the design of the road. Not one. Also, not one protester has said the existing road can't be improved or that more police presence wouldn't be a good thing. So really, what is your point?

• Neil
    October 09, 2012 - 23:05

I am an Islander living abroad. I am a liberal supporter. Not the spoil brat Ghiz kind, but the liberals that provide hope and unity. I am not a hippy or a tree hugger, but I believe in the fight. The Trans Canada highway is not dangerous if you follow the rules and drive safely. Drive the speed limit and it will take you 3 more minutes to get from Borden to Charlottetown. I have never stepped foot in the woods of this area, but any fight against these greedy governments on PEI is a good fight. Please keep up the fight!

• NO B He'll No
      October 10, 2012 - 00:28

Lets plan to have a huge showing of supporters here tomorrow lets say we all meet on the TCH at 5 PM????

• Chris
      October 10, 2012 - 08:00

Does this Government have no shame, firs they strong arm people and expropriate their land and then they use the RCMP to do their dirty work and hide under the guise of a legal system that they created in the name of democracy to do what they wish to get what they want. Yes these are the people we elected to represent us and to do our bidding in Government, I hope all Islanders remember this at re-election time and resoundingly vote out every Liberal member, shame on you Ghiz, you and all your hencmen!

• SG
    October 09, 2012 - 22:50

I agree with INTOBED we need Recall Legislation enacted. I won't vote unless it is.enacted as without it the People have absolutely no voice or means of holding the elected government accountable.

• sportsfan
    October 09, 2012 - 22:42

Does any know if they will be selling any of the trees for firewood?

• By Stander
      October 10, 2012 - 07:03

The firewood would be too GREEN

• Common Sense
    October 09, 2012 - 22:20

How come every negative commenter on this story has to mention "get a job". Judging by what has been said many of these people have jobs or are students. People with "real jobs" have vacation days/personal days or people in health care that have days off during the week, and they are using their free time to protest something they believe in. Why does every story on here have to turn into an anti-unemployment fight in the comments? People seem to have it stuck in their minds that anyone out for the day is clearly unemployed and students collecting ei, women on maternity leave and people who genuinely can't find work are all out to abuse the system. You people are so pessimistic

• Gary
    October 09, 2012 - 22:15

If we had this many RCMP in this area all the time we wouldn't have to worry about accidents.

• Gary, you are so rigtht
      October 10, 2012 - 06:35

Facetiousness aside Gary, you know you're right. For less than 10% of what Islanders are borrowing to pay for the pavement of Plan B, our officers could concentrate patrols in the area and solve the problem. There's also value added because catching a speeder, impaired driver, cell phone user or someone who abuses any traffic controls will also help keep roads safer in other parts of our Island. And, I know most of our officers would rather be doing something that adds value to PEI rather then arrest people who are protesting waste and corruption.

• WERESOSPINELESS
    October 09, 2012 - 22:03

1. If it was my back yard the gov't wanted to appropriate, yes, I would be more than happy to take a payment for the land beyond what it's worth. Since I'd be living next to a major highway, it's not like I'd worry about selling. 2. The amount of deforestation happening to allow this project to go through could be replanted in an afternoon with less than $100. Do the protesters think all the other roads in PEI just grew up from the earth? Massive deforestation happened to make way for roads and homes of PEI. Even the protesters' homes were made from *gasp* murdered trees. 3. The cost of this project to the taxpayers is not going to be helped if people seek to dramatically sulk and get the police to hawl them out or cut them from trees. Do you think we're not already stretched thin enough in regard to police? 4. Why, despite feeling empowered by their numbers in the 100's, do these protesters think they speak for the majority of islanders? This fallacy is peppered throughout their speech like they actually believe they carry some torch of truth that echoes the sentiments of all islanders. This is mathematically absurd. The arrogance to think they speak for all islanders, simply because their pleas are trendily anti-establishment and reek of worn-out, self-righteous ramblings about mother earth being torn apart? Please. 5. The old tired cliche's about who's making what money is so typical and sad. Tenders are awarded to the lowest bidder, regardless of their family's previous party affiliation. Lawyers love to take cases like that, so dare one, and you'll find such tenders are awarded with full transparency. Excluding the opinions of the self-righteous protesters, there's no law that says someone can't make money as a contractor for the government. I for one am happy to see some local companies and their employees make some money on this - and no, I'm not one of them, I'm in I.T. industry. 6. The ubiquitous "we'll vote them out next election" has been shouted at every election, no matter who the leader is. Islanders are fickle. They vote whomever they've always voted for. There are a few symbolic votes for the Green Party, but we all know that party is a hobby and will never win. I voted Conservative the last two elections, but voted liberal for years. I didn't vote for Ghiz, but I support this project. 7. The protesters seem to be so easily seducing some of the more simple-minded rubber-neckers, with their "passion over common sense" approach. It's wakes dull minds into curiosity, and the bland old "stick it to the man" routine still hooks some of the easily led. Most islanders know that this project is going ahead, that the province CAN afford it, that it's a valid priority. Most islanders also know that a simple highway improvement project like this isn't going to deface the island landscape in any noticeable fashion. Trees can and will be re-planted. It takes an afternoon, protesters. So sorry the trees won't be fully grown by 2013, you'll just have to chill out. 8. The logic "I've driven that highway x number of years and I've never had a problem" argument is incredibly daft. It's a dangerous stretch of highway no matter what your luck's been. As for changing the speed limit: everyone knows islanders drive 50 km/h uphill and 150 km/h downhill no matter the terrain.

• intobed
      October 10, 2012 - 00:10

Seriously spineless, you need to go to Alberta. You would love it there.

• really?
      October 10, 2012 - 07:39

We're so Spineless - if you're really in IT then I suggest you get some "information" - how can this province afford this needless project when they're cutting budgets on the things we really need, like education and health care? And why is PEI in need of such a road when the road isn't really that busy, not in the great scheme of things. If you want to see busy or dangerous roads, I suggest you get out a bit, leave your computer at your desk and go travelling to other parts of the world. It's not as though we even had lots of through traffic here!!! I suppose at least when it's done, the poor folks in West Prince who need emergency out-of-hours surgery will at least be able to get to QEH 13 seconds sooner because PCH can't hejp them............

October 10, 2012 - 08:23

Well stated. You speak for the majority of Islanders!!!

• Mr. Ghiz Exposed
    October 09, 2012 - 21:55

Does anyone know what company is doing the clearing and construction work? I'm just going out on a limb here...but is the companies owner a contributing Liberal? Or maybe it's the ABCXYZ company making a reappearance from the PNP scandal! Mr. Ghiz should be in jail!!

• Marie
      October 10, 2012 - 09:27

Jail = 2 years less a day. Not much time for stealing so much from people willing to give up their financial lives for a chance to come to PEI. How will we ever convince the greatest lovers of Anne to come back to our beautiful Island when it's government has used, abused and discarded them??? Your nasty patronage moves MR PREMIER have hurt us deeply....backlash....EI, DVA, Tourism and the anger of your own voters. You think the people are too slow to see you bringing bio to the island when other countries have refused them entry and then fly techs in from around the world to staff these businesses that are supposed to create island jobs. Hang your head man...you are a sham!!!

• Alberta bound
      October 10, 2012 - 12:32

INTOBED, Same here, I'm Alberta bound myself, and dare I say, a hell of a lot of people are going follow. I don't want to be here when PEI sinks. lol

• Chris
    October 09, 2012 - 21:35

Is it true that one of the woman who was arrested is a Liberal Senators sister? I heard that one of the Liberal senators sister is married Roy Johnstone and she was arrested. I wonder if she will be getting treatment?

• It Runs in the Family
    October 09, 2012 - 21:34

Maybe her son can throw her a welcome home party when she is out.

• NAY SAYERS
    October 09, 2012 - 21:12

To those arguing that "this type of work happens everywhere": ask yourself if that always means it's the right thing to do? Maybe Islanders don't want to blindly go where every other province goes. We have less land and that land is invaluable. We depend on it. We care about our environment and we want to protect it. Families have been forced from their land. We don't want this highway and our government should not be able to force us to accept it. And to those sniping 'get a job': These people are taking time out of their busy lives (day and/or night) to protest for something that they care deeply about. There are politicians, community leaders, dentists, trades people, working professionals, artists, and local families involved in this. They have jobs. And any that don't have jobs can at least be proud that they are spending their time doing something valuable to help their community. What have you done for your community lately?

• By Stander
    October 09, 2012 - 21:07

What a load of crap. I wonder if they would still protest if someone was killed on the highway ? Maybe the Green party should say in the woods.

• Mike Wagner
    October 09, 2012 - 20:46

Here is a very simple scenario for people to think about. If it was your backyard and the government came and told you they were taking it and deciding how much they felt like giving you for it, would you be commenting in here about how great of an idea you think it is? As for the 20 million dollars, PEI lacks basic infrastructure like a women's health center and services for the homeless that don't involve the religious and homophobic Salvation Army (check their website service statement) running things. This is not a Liberal thing. It's not a Conservative thing. Even if I see you wankers whining about parties on here all the time. It's about business being put ahead of people.

• anyone notice
      October 09, 2012 - 21:40

anyone notice lately that our free country is starting to look like iran ,iraq, Libya and all those other war torn countries which we all are so glad we do not live in, Keep it up protesters and you will win ,but win what? Peace and poverty, ya thats just exactly what you deserve, Be careful what you wish for,and by the way stay off our new highway when its done ,ok

• don
    October 09, 2012 - 20:10

well i wonder ifthe bully has stoped to think that THE PEOPLE are willing to be arrested to let his gang know that they do not want this road. abnd that this is the END of his and his gangs jobs and it will ruin any thing in the future. but then i guess you all need to have a HEART but you are all showing that you do not care for the voters or the trees and the land on PEI. just to suck islanders dry of money. but remember this what goes around comes around and this is for all the PNP and patronage liberals. but i feel sorry for the kids in your families that has to listen to the bullig in the years to come.

• Undecided on B
    October 09, 2012 - 19:46

Here's a hint. She was a candidate for the Greens in the last prov election. Surprise, surprise, eh?

• brave people
    October 09, 2012 - 19:12

To everyone out there - whether you admire the brave protesters standing up on our behalf, or whether you think they're "tree huggers" and "hippes" - watch this video. It was made a couple of days ago by a lady who's been camping out there in an effort to try and stop this insane destruction of ancient woodland:http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=4755580772187&oid=220834614673617

• IN THE REAL WORALD
    October 09, 2012 - 19:03

Every road to success is under construction here in the real worald

• spellcheck
      October 10, 2012 - 09:44

New roads are not the only way to go forward in this real WORLD, in this real WORLD of financial uncertainty a little province like PEI should not be going into further debt on an unnecessary project that has no real benefit to the populace.

• New Brunswick Pavement
    October 09, 2012 - 19:01

Perhaps the $12 or is is $l6 million dollars could be donated to that have-not? province of New Brunswick and they could use it to resurface that crater filled so called highway that takes us towards Sackville or Moncton. A real eyesore and extremely dangerous stretch of moose encountering bumpy backroad it is. And while you are at it maybe take a hundred dollars of it to throw some paint on that poor Cape Jourmain Lighthouse of yours. Unsightly Premises Act time??

• By Stander
    October 09, 2012 - 18:52

Does anyone work any more ? Does Roy Johstone play a tune on his Plastic Fiddle ?

• Tom Jacobs
      October 09, 2012 - 22:13

I agree, our government is as poor at keeping unemployment down as it is at choosing sites for new highways.

• Lillian
    October 09, 2012 - 18:39

To JoeCitzen What gives you the right to call these people who are protesting Hippies. A lot of these people are the people Robbie Boy gave pink slips to in the spring Get your facts straight.. The RCMP [notice it took two of them] to arrest a defenseless woman and some citizens who were standing up against the tyranny of this government , to bad they can't get the real criminals off the streets and the drug dealers out of our schools- Why is that I wonder.?? 2015 is coming and none to soon before Robbie Boy tries to sell the whole damn province down the river for a LOONIE I am so proud of these protesters .

• former WPer
    October 09, 2012 - 18:35

Funny. When folks in West Prince were bringing up issues withthe high voltage power lines running through their front yards, the general feeling seemed to be to shut up and learn your place. Find something near Charlottetown, and all of a sudden not being listened to is some sort of human rights violation. I'm sorry. You've lost any good will I'd give.

• to former wper
      October 10, 2012 - 09:11

So, former wper, are you saying you're happy with the waste and greed associated with this project because of a perceived bad attitude from Charlottetowners? Not everyone opposing it lives in town. Please don't be so narrow-minded.

• get a job
    October 09, 2012 - 18:32

Why do these loons not have jobs like the rest of civilized people. Your costing taxpayers like me more then this highway is in the run of a year. It seems to be the same bunch protesting, whether its against highways, or for abortion and gay rights. This weekend you were blessing the trees.. are you for real? I cant wait to see the episode of 'This hour has 22 minuites'.

• they have jobs
      October 09, 2012 - 21:54

That's right - let's attack these people with principles by denouncing them. You've just shown your true bigoted, uninformed colours - if you knew who they are, you'd know that comments like that show how ignorant you are! And last time I looked, Canada was supposed to be multicultural and multifaith, so how dare you deride other people's religious beliefs? You probably hate CFAs as well and think that we shouldn't be allowed the vote.

• Have A Job
      October 09, 2012 - 23:38

Speaking of civilized people , do you have a job?

• skyler
    October 09, 2012 - 18:18

That video was pointless?? I just skimmed through the video, Although it doesn't look like much stopping was done by the machine..... ...... ....... ...... On another note, I feel bad for the protestors, I truly do. I wish them very well on there quest to STOP PLAN B! I wish I could be there with them, They know that they have much support backing them up. I truly hope something can be done to stop this horrible project. Some people need to really understand this is not all completely about just stopping the initial process of Plan B, It's also about stopping government from wasting our hard earned tax dollars on something 90% of some people don't want. The government needs to back down and listen to the very people that elected him to office!! GOOD LUCK PROTESTORS, I'M ROOTING FOR YOU ON THE SIDE!!

• Ryan
    October 09, 2012 - 18:08

Shame on the government for pushing Plan B. Cudos to the brave Islanders opposing this outrageous project!

• inobed
    October 09, 2012 - 17:44

The actions of this government show just how badly we need recall legislation enacted to force our government to listen to us. Con men and women have pulled the wool over our eyes during the last election, and now we are paying the price. Please talk to you politicians every chance you get about bringing in recall legislation. Next election, don't bother with either the Liberals or Conservatives, they are the same. Only the patronage payouts go to slightly different groups.

• Frankie
      October 10, 2012 - 10:18

again I ask why do you assume I am a Liberal or that I've ever voted Liberal. I am not defending "My Party". I am not a member of any political party. No one knows how I vote. I'm just saying everyone is coming down hard on the Liberals for this...shall we go down memory lane and bring up stuff that other governments have done. I mean both parties.

• Will happen
    October 09, 2012 - 17:36

The first "fixed link" was stopped back in the 70s because it was going to damage the inviroment badly.The same WILL HAPPEN here.Yes the link was built,but only after a suitable plan was pressented and agreed apon by the majority of Islanders.Of course it took kicking the gov at the time out to get reason that time too! GO PROTESTORS GO

• Drive Much
    October 09, 2012 - 17:06

Anyone who travels will see every province working clearing trees etc. to improve the highways. In Quebec there is major construction on highway 185. What you won't see are protesters and believe me there are a lot more trees, land, watersheds being destroyed. Why? Because positive improvements and much needed change are and will always be needed. Instead of causing taxpayers more money with these protests, they should be out planting trees somewhere. This will improve that section of highway. It will reduce accidents. Truck drivers , buses will be safer especially in winter months. I for one, while interested in protecting the environment, would never protest to this extent. It is now costing more money everyday and these workers hired for this construction are being delayed. They have families to feed too. Hope the judge on this is strict enough to deter future incidents.

• somewhoknows
    October 09, 2012 - 16:54

Why are these protestors allowed to interfere with people trying to make a living. They put themselves in harms way, then cry about it. Wake up, get a job, let the contractors do their job and find something else to whine about.

• Leon Berrouard
    October 09, 2012 - 16:30

Stop this incompetent and insensitive and corrupt government project now. Give support to the protesters, become one, save these magical 200 year old pines and hemlocks.This waste of OUR TAX DOLLARS to line the pockets of Liberal cronies makes me sick!

• Bark Chewer
    October 09, 2012 - 16:11

Thank you to those who are standing up to this government. I applaud your dedication to stopping this insane project. And to those who say it's a waste of time I say, when was the last time YOU joined with a group of people and made an effort to make a difference? Likely never which is why you just don't get it and you likely never will.

• Stand up Be Counted
    October 09, 2012 - 15:39

I've always wondered why the term "tree hugger" carries a pejorative connotation. Trees are an integral; part of our ecosystem. Among other things they act as valuable carbon sinks for all that CO2 that we emit into the atmosphere through our polluting lifestyle. I love trees. I'd much rather have them than a stupid strip of asphalt for which I'm going to be paying my share of at least $12m, or is it $16m, in tax dollars. Whatever amount it ends up being it is a complete waste of money. So people like David, Boohoo and Frankie - You are obviously ok entrusting this bunch of money wasters with our hard earned tax dollars and giving them a carte blanche to tear apart our beautiful landscape. Well, this taxpayer is not. It's time to stand up and be counted and these protesters are doing just that. I'm proud of them.

• Go Protesters
    October 09, 2012 - 15:16

I think we are witnessing a significant turning point in PEI. Governments here have been able to get away with arrogant, irreponsible self-gratification for a long time. They've gone too far this time, and people have finally had enough. This is about much more than cutting trees, and it's only beginning. The government's behaviour today has made me speechless. Have they completely lost their minds?

• janedoe
    October 09, 2012 - 15:10

I think these people are amazing! Something to look up to someone has to stand up for our rights and freedoms! Seems like everything is just getting thrown away! I just don't understand how trees that are endangered are brig allowed to be chopped down! Kind of like the movie the lorax! We need our trees people need their homes we don't need another damn highway! Just hope people remember this at election time MR GHIZ and your GOVERNMENT this is your POLAR FOODS!

• Frankie
    October 09, 2012 - 14:48

Do you want to know what all this protesting is really doing? It's setting the Green Party back about 10 years. They have tried hard for years to get away from a one dimensional platform and here their leader in one photo has wasted all that hard work. They will never get any main-stream votes by acting like that. The best thing the green party can do is distance themselves from these "protesters". Everyone is going on about the Liberal party and Mr. Ghiz, do you really believe it would be any different if the PC were in power. Guess again. They'd be building this road just as fast and probably wouldn't have even gone for plan B, they would have stuck with Plan A !!

• Go Protesters
      October 09, 2012 - 15:19

Nice try, but the dirt is sticking to your Liberal friends, and you can't shift it.

• Frankie
      October 09, 2012 - 16:36

How do you get I'm a Liberal out of my post? If you read my post again you might see that I WAS leaning towards the Green Party...until now... but I just get a kick out of all these people screaming that the Liberals won't win the next election... which means on PEI we elect a PC government...and if you think the Conservatives would care about trees or the environment you are kidding yourself.

• Glen Beck
      October 09, 2012 - 21:43

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie...You started off strong, but your argument fell apart when you began writing excuses and false statements! Only a Liberal would accuse the PC party of something they would "probably" do, in an attempt to defend your party. Typical...take ownership!! In next election think again before voting liberal! There is a reason why the rest of the COUNTRY thinks that the liberal party is a joke! Literally!

• Deana Beaton
    October 09, 2012 - 14:26

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money

• sick of it
    October 09, 2012 - 14:20

This government is run by stupid greedy people that don't care about anything except lining their pockets and that of their friends and relatives that are going to make big money off this project.

• Jeff
    October 09, 2012 - 13:58

What is wrong with this Island? First off, we are so far into debt, do we really need this project while people are getting laid off or losing their jobs because the government doesn't have enough money. Secondly, it's terrible that the protesters aren't getting more support, try getting kicked out of your house, losing your land and being told to "go get a job"? What the hell is wrong with you people? Where do you get off criticizing these protesters? Since when are people not allowed to stand up for themselves. These people would be the first to come to the aid of others in their time of need, but no one seems to want to help them.

• SG
    October 09, 2012 - 13:56

SMORRISON: Yes roads have been built for years and yes they've had to cut down a tree. However regarding Plan B they are cutting down Trees, many Trees, like Birch and Hemlock which were non-existent for years, Our Bird population will also be displaced and a Natural Enviroment will be lost forever. And then we'll have two Highways the OLD TCH and the NEW TCH for a price of $Millions and Islanders can decide which TCH they'd prefer to travel. And we'll have Two Highways to maintain ie: repairs and paving !

• me
    October 09, 2012 - 13:44

just think. when road improvements are done motorists can drive even faster. I'm sure that should make that section a lot safer.lol

• you asked for it
    October 09, 2012 - 13:38

This so called great deal from ottawa is ridiculous.It is the same as if someone went to a store and bought something useless because it was 50% off and then had to borrow the money.It is only a good deal if you need it and had the money. I bet if ghiz did have the money to cough up pei's share he would not spend it on this needless road work. He would probably still find another way to give it to his cronies. Remember YOU ASKED FOR IT

• Nan Clarke
    October 09, 2012 - 13:17

This protest has little or nothing to do with "tree huggers" and everything to do with protesting against government ramrodding a project through for whatever inane reasons they may think they have. Governments are there to represent the voters and constituents. In this case, they (The Ghiz government) are NOT listening. They ARE wasting government dollars on a needless project. They are not enacting the will of the overall population and they are acting only in the representation of the few. Who ARE the few? I have some ideas on that as well. As indicated in a previous comment, they are the chosen few that wish to line their pockets from the needless replacement of a totally fine road. The most this area needs done is to ensure there is proper pavement and passage for all vehicles. There is no need to change the route. There is no need to displace families from their homes. There is no need to spend 8 million plus and then another 4 million dollars (first budget for this project only! - that price will no doubt go waaaaay UP!) to reroute a perfectly good route through the countryside. Yes, PEI needs roads. They need upkeep. This Plan B or any plan road is not needed, nor is it wanted by the majority of the people. If there were to be a vote to be had on this project what do you suppose would happen? I will tell you what would happen! ....I strongly suspect that the entire idea would be voted down...... Hook, line and sinker. Ghiz government did not and will not hold a vote for this project because they know full well it would be voted down. It is a waste of money. Regarding the woman who stood/lay in the way of the equipment........ YOU HAVE CHUTZPAH! Well done and please be careful. But you have great oomph! Well done! I am smiling when I write this as ..... well... you just did 'good'! The best phrase to describe a woman with spunk is to say .... You are quite the broad! And that is the most complimentary thing I can say right from my heart. Well done! I always want to be the broad but I will share that with you. haha

• Chris
    October 09, 2012 - 13:13

Interesting Video as is the other videos posted all from Roy Johnstone fiddling. Wonder what would happen if one of these protestors are accidentally run over by one of these large pieces of equipment while they are laying on the ground protesting. I can't understand why they are even allwoed on the construction site. You sure don't see people who are not workers on any other construction site and if you do go onto them you get asked to leave and if you don't you get arrested. Have to wonder if the RCMP would be laibel if someone is injured and they have not removed these people.

• think before they ACT
    October 09, 2012 - 12:48

The protesters should realize that if they are arrested..be it obstruction or mischief ..or whatever if they try to enter any international borders IE: The United Staes to go shopping ..or any southern climate nation for vacation you will be turned back at the border..........they consider that grounds to refuse you... so...think about this before you do something stupid..........and.why hassle some guy operating a machine for a living trying to feed his family....he is only following directions..he did not make the decision the govt did....blockade their offices ...........

• been there, done that
      October 09, 2012 - 19:02

"Think before they act" - in case you hadn't noticed, we've had lots of protests in Charlottetown aginst this injustice. The gov't won't listen to us. They gave us no chance to say anything about this road and people have had their property expropriated. They didn't want to have to do this, but they're just trying to get attention and trying to get the work stopped.

• secondlook
    October 09, 2012 - 12:30

Joe Citizen- October 9, 2012 at 10:53:23 I wonder if these hippies are READY, WILLING, and ABLE to work today? hippies.....from what I see a dentist , a professor, a plant biologist a professional photographer to just name a few. Joe Citizen what do you do for a living and do you have the courage to take a stand for something. I guess not

• Can't let it go
    October 09, 2012 - 12:20

I admire the tenacity of those who are brave and strong enough to protest in the name of democracy. To those who seems to think that those people need to get a job or wonder where they get their income, it is actually none of your business. For your information, some folks have sustainable incomes, and some live on very little made from the work they do in their homes or cottage industries. Not everyone has a 9-5 job. It takes tremendous courage to 'fight city hall' so to speak, and these protesters are standing up for what they beleive in. If I could, I would join them. I hope that those who have to go to jail will remember that they are there for doing what they believe in, not because they are bad people.

• Rodney
    October 09, 2012 - 12:20

People give it up! This work is going to happen it's too late to do anything about it now. Do yourselves a favour and stop costing the PEI taxpayer anymore $$ for this work, someone is going to get hurt if this continues. 6.2km's for fencing a linear hwy project can you say EXTRA! Islanders had an opportunity to get rid of the Liberals last year in the middle of the PMP scandal but they had decided against. Maybe they'll learn next time around.

• Joe Blow
    October 09, 2012 - 12:04

To David: Don't be an idiot!! Saying that the rest of PEI ALL want this highway project to go ahead is a stupid thing to say. Just because people aren't saying anything or protesting at the site of Plan B doesn't mean they don't disagree with Ghiz spending money the province doesn't have on a project the province doesn't need!! These 200 protestor would easily represent at least half the province in the opinion that Ghiz is mispending their tax dollars and that this is a patronage project!! Those 200 protesters certainly are representing my opinion!! And just because they are at the site, doesn't mean they don't have jobs or have some kind of income....you can't keep talking stupid!

• Mrs. McGillicutty
    October 09, 2012 - 12:03

it's gonna be unfortunate when one of those barkchewers gets hit by equipment out there. They have no regard to their own safety and the RCMP better stop playing paddycake with them before someone gets seriously hurt.

• safety
    October 09, 2012 - 11:59

They shouldnt be running equipment that close to people without proper PPE. Shut down the job.

• Janet Gaudet
    October 09, 2012 - 11:54

I am proud to say I'm a tree hugger. We love and cherish every tree on our property and would do anything we can to save our trees. No I'm not out protesting because I can't physically do it. Just because everyone who is against this insane project isn't at the protest doesn't mean that only 200 people are against it. I support the protestors 100%. I've sent letters to lots of government members including Sherry, minister of environment, Ghiz, and on and on. I've signed petitions. Joe Citizen, where did you dig up the word hippy? This is 2012.

• alfredd
    October 09, 2012 - 11:52

I am wondering, all the people who think this is a great project, - are you jsut against people with principles or do you really relish paying the money nthis is going to cost, - for absolutely no reason? Do you support this kind of heavy handedness by your elected officials? Do you not think it would have been reasonable to have held a referendum about this or at least have mentioned it during the election campaign? Maybe you just prefer to be deaf, dumb and blind followers ? Must be a sorry existense.

• travis
    October 09, 2012 - 11:43

So while we can do nothing but watch, this beautiful landscape is getting raped, and our scarce taxdollars pissed away.--- There was so many other ways improvements could have been made, - but for pratonage, possible kickbacks, lack of imagination and vision this crime is being perpetuated by the very people we elected to husband all our resources, we are being robbed blind all the way around, --- and can't call anybody to get it stopped..

• David
    October 09, 2012 - 11:25

Lets give the tree huggers the benefit of the doubt and say they had 200 at their rally which is the same number they had in the spring. But for some reason these 200 people think the other 139,800 on PEI should do what they want. The 200 tree huggers need to spend more time in school learning basic math then sitting at a campsite. But really the people who are sitting at the campsite all day are living on what income?

• Lacie
      October 09, 2012 - 12:23

Although I'm keeping my opinions to myself on the plan B matter, I do feel I should inform those of you who are saying the protesters should 'get a job' that most of the young people protesting are University students, and frankly, I say good for them for having something they believe in and for standing up for that belief. They may not make a difference in this particular project but at the end of the day they'll know they stood up for what they believed in regardless of the closed minded opinions of others. Good for you protesters for having your own minds, that's much more than we can say for some others!

• you again?
      October 09, 2012 - 18:52

You again, David, Dave, Joe or Rick MacDonald & We're so spineless? You always call the protesters "tree huggers' or use other derogatory terms. You keep on about 139,800 Islanders NOT being against Plan B but thet's where you're wrong. Many of them are kids who have had no say in the matter and will have to carry the debt burden and environmental damage long after we're gone. And by the way, most of the protesters are self-employed or retired. You spend a lot of time on these forums being rude to other folks - do you have a job?

• Look at the big picture
      October 09, 2012 - 22:23

If there was a pro plan B rally there would only be 200 people there also. Unless the Liberals lined pockets, buy drinks to get a few extra heads there. Not everyone has the time of day to be at these things. A lot of these folks you are seeing are self employed. Small business owners, semi retired. Take the blinders off. You are using Liberal math. Brainwashed to be stupid an gullible. Take those numbers to court from either side and the judge would laugh.

• Boohoo
    October 09, 2012 - 11:19

I think the new road is going to be even more of a beautiful drive. The deal is done. The road is going ahead. These ridiculous protestors are just going to get someone hurt or killed. Go get a job and let these men and women do their jobs and support their families.

Bill Kays
      October 09, 2012 - 12:26

This fight is not only about PLAN B. This fight is about a tyrannical government that will not listen to its people. Come on guys, WAKE UP. If the gov will do this they will do anything they wish to as they have been doing. if they trample down on the rights of these individual property owners, you may be next. The only people applauding this government and MR GHIZ in particular, must be making money off the project or have another vested interest because a referendum would have been much cheaper. Once the landscape is changed it can never be the same again.

• Snow White
    October 09, 2012 - 11:15

LOVE the sign! Wonderful recycling project :) Keep up the good work protestors. I am 100% behind you and would be there beside you if I could. My thoughts, prayers, and hopes are with you! Good luck in your fight against a corrupt, arrogant, and uncaring government.

• flo
    October 09, 2012 - 10:52

well i hope the wonderful pei government is happy with themselves. making people leave the homes they have been in for years and all over a political conspiracy to make money for themselves . how embarrasing to say i am an islander with all the corruption going on since MR.GHIZ took over . i was born on PEI and lived here all my life and now i must say i am not very proud to say i am an islander.

• Marie
    October 09, 2012 - 10:23

A sadder day is taking land to build a road around a hill hahaha, when the rest of PEI's roads are terrible. What is Mr Ghiz's plan for the Bonshaw/Fiaryland Hill? Must be one that will line the coffers of the choosen few yet again!!! Get the feeling noone trusts you anymore mr Ghiz?

• Bertie
    October 09, 2012 - 10:04

Well I am sure the protestors will find further ways to delay this sloppy patronage project. In the meantime here is hoping that the Guardian's recent piece on Ruth DeLong's expropriation experience has settled down the pro-Ghiz Plan Bers. It was getting a little nauseating reading those slippery ' the decision has been made' so everybody settle down and stop critquing this sham type of posts on this forum. Of course, the decision has been made. It was made years ago. The whole Plan A nd Pla B ruse was a manipulation. The payoffs have been publicly exposed already, The Ghiz government ruined the lives of other families and they did it to make their own buddies rich. And that is that.

Bill Kays
      October 09, 2012 - 12:18

I agree with you Bertie.

• Tom Jacobs
    October 09, 2012 - 10:02

Joe, you're dating yourself with the use of the word 'hippie' ...and is it their fault that our province has the highest rate of unemployment in the country? Nope, it's just another way Ghiz has failed.

• smorrison
    October 09, 2012 - 10:00

For anyone who has enjoyed driving across this beautiful country, do you think the road magically happened to be there? Open your eyes...Roads have been built for years and at somepoint they have to cut down a tree and move some gravel to make them. Enough about plan B!

• Joe Citizen
    October 09, 2012 - 09:53

I wonder if these hippies are READY, WILLING, and ABLE to work today?

Bill Kays
      October 09, 2012 - 12:15

I am not a hippie and yes I am available for work but unfortunately Robert Ghiz has made it practically impossible for a regular joe do get REAL employment and not just some menial job working for the those that have. Some of these protesters are employed but care enough about our Island to SACRIFICE a days pay or a day in jail. You should have THEIR conviction. Are you perhaps a government employee or are you just another uncaring soul who cares only for yourself?

• Tears in my eyes
    October 09, 2012 - 09:43

A real sad morning for thousands of Islanders. Before the Liberals get on here attacking - let me say I agree there was only 2-3 hundred at the rally. If there ever was a case to describe the tyranny of the majority - ie Liberal Government - this is it...

• hey there
      October 09, 2012 - 18:28

So you are saying you hate democracy?