P.E.I search and rescue organization awarded for the ‘good stuff’

Drew Casford

Members of the P.E.I Ground Search and Rescue team prepare to begin a search in this Guardian file photo.

The P.E.I. ground search and rescue was award $25,000 Thursday night during the Labatt Blue Ultimate End of Summer Party.

Labatt Blue named Charlottetown its 2012 most iconic town. The contest honours hometown pride and the good causes in the community with an end of summer party and a cash prize.

The P.E.I. search and rescue was one of three organizations up for the cash.

The money will go towards training and new equipment, said president Ken Hall.

“It was very exciting and we are very pleased to have won. Our organization relies on fundraising and donations, so this is huge.”

The ground search and rescue association is a non-profit volunteer organization with about 95 members Island-wide, said Hall.

“We are all on call 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. This award will help train new volunteers,” he said.

The team is very important for the Island, said RCMP media relations officer Sgt. Andrew Blackadar.

“We often call upon them to conduct searches for lost or missing people,” he said.

“I’m very happy for them. This will help them offset costs. As a volunteer organization they can use any help they can get.”

Hall is hopeful the award will help attract new volunteers during their volunteer this upcoming spring.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Rob spears
    September 30, 2012 - 20:20

Congrats to GSAR!! Very well deserved. These people dont get paid for what they do and have to pay for their gear. They receive no tax breaks and often do not get paid from theur work during searches. They can get called out 24/7 and in any weathet. They are very dedicated people who give PEI and the maritimes an incredibke service. Again congrats!

• Eye Lander
    September 29, 2012 - 18:24

The donation to any charity is a welcome and thanks to Labatt's for their giving back to the community. I was very disappointed with the event itself. My first trip to the venue and likely will wonder about attending future events at this location. The venue is small and cannot hold anymore then 1,000 people in total. The paved area is not flat and causes an aucoustic nightmare in the tent. Lighting at the drive way entrance was set up long after it should have been. I was suprised to see someone brought their dog into the tent and there were people smoking on the grounds! The number of attending was only matched by the number of Tim Horton cups laying around. Murphy's must have been a sponsor also. Took a spin down last night, thinking we might attend the beer festival, but there were so few people there, we wondered it it had been cancelled. Time to get a new festival and event's committee.

• Resident
    September 28, 2012 - 22:49

Congratulations Ground Search and Rescue!.. what an incredible opportunity. Before this contest, I was aware of PEI Ground Search and Rescue but I wasn't aware that they were volunteers or that guys and gals pay for their own uniforms, gear and take the time out of their busy schedules to volunteer. I originally thought they were employed and associated with the RCMP. Learn something new everyday! Job well done to the other charities as well... all were very deserving!

• Mel
    September 28, 2012 - 21:20

Way to go dad!!!!!!!! Well deserved and you all put a lot of volunteer hours in. Very proud!

• intobed
    September 28, 2012 - 18:08

While not the group I voted for, I am glad they won. The other two groups in the running, Island Nature Trust and Pat and the Elephant, were also worthy to win. I am sure GSAR will put $25,000 to good use, in a way that will benefit all PEI. Congratulations!

• Dave
    September 28, 2012 - 18:06

Well deserved! Congratulations PEI Ground Search and Rescue, from what I've seen you've had a busy year!