RCMP seize marijuana plants, arrest Kings County resident

Marijuana plants (archive photo)

A Kings County resident was arrested Friday and $25,000 worth of marijuana plants seized.

The RCMP Street Level Drug Unit, with assistance from members of the Montague RCMP Detachment, executed the search warrant at an undisclosed property in Kings County. A police news release says the plants could have produced more than 10,000 marijuana joints for sale on the street.

Other drug-related materials were also seized. The person arrested at the scene is currently facing charges of production of marijuana and trafficking of marijuana.

The investigation continues.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Kings

Comments

Comments

• john doe
    September 06, 2012 - 22:09

Wow, pot is soooo bad...PFfffft, cops are ignorant as hell, I agree with everyone else here, go after the pill heads....I know another guy who got busted 2 weeks after this bust....his plants were added up to a measly 8oz, and had plants that were only 5 inches tall, why aren't these ones in the news? Because it doesn't make cops look good enough, people smoke dope for more reasons then stupid cops may think....arthritis to curing cancer, leave these poor old folks alone and let them grow their dope so they may wake up and have a day where they are not in terrible pain, best regards, a disgusted citizen

• northsider
    September 04, 2012 - 20:03

has it started producing thc or is it still hemp they should have left it until Oct they might have gotten 1 000 000 joints

• JakeS
    September 04, 2012 - 14:14

Oh, and not to mention, my only means of getting a job, my cellphone, was stolen from my locked car right in front of Career Development Services, and when I reported it missing to the police, they asked if I'd like to file a report or speak with an officer, when I asked if talking to an officer would increase my chances, they basically laughed at me, and when I asked what the chances of them finding whoever stole my phone, "Extremely slim" is what they told me. God I love it here....leave the people alone who aren't hurting anyone, and get out there finding the scumbags who steal and vandalize and assault people around here...PRIORITIES PEOPLE

• JakeS
    September 04, 2012 - 14:08

Lets see, I've been unemployed for about a month, but looking for an actual sustainable job since January, unable to get EI because we can't go work out west anymore to draw it and as long as there is work on the job bank you're unable to qualify, and I'm also unable to qualify for Welfare, and nobody will call me for work because they can hire immigrants for MUCH cheaper, so here I am, a poor, starving islander, who is told to get an education to get a job, but unable to get a job to pay for education............and we're worried about a plant that makes people happy? God....what is this world coming to? Thanks for nothing PEI...if I starve to death, my blood will be on your hands.

• saherbal
    September 03, 2012 - 17:24

Thank GOD they got that miscreant ,I'll sleep so much more soundly tonight,NOT. It's a medicine just watch Rick Simpson's RUN FROM THE CURE!!!! IT TELLS ALL.

• XComa
    September 03, 2012 - 10:59

We should let the Canadians that live in Canada decide if Marijuana should be illegal or not. Plebiscite ... The Big Pharma Companies are using active ingredients of Marijuana in Government approved Pills. That should be some indication of the Detrimental affects or lack of Detrimental affects of Marijuana. ... We are following old ideas of other countries and a handful of misinformed individuals, again. ... Those Countries are robbing us of our 'Right to Be'. Robbing us of Canadian Values, Choices, Freedoms, Culture of Canadians and our Resources. Canadians are going along with it. Canadians will take anything and say nothing, just put up with it. ...

• Super High Me
    September 02, 2012 - 18:05

Not quite sure how the RCMP came up with the figure of 10,000 joints, but here's an interesting tidbit: I recently watched "The Union", and a doctor/scientist who's been researching the effects of marijuana for years stated that you would need to smoke something like 15,000 joints in 20 minutes or less to receive a fatal dose of THC. The police should tell the truth when they try to use scary numbers like "10,000" joints.

• Bill Kays
    September 02, 2012 - 13:47

I agree with SUPER HIGH ME and P.J. O'ROURKE. It's just another waste of tax payers dollars. Harper does do as the U.S. dictates.

• Shellie Brown-e
      September 02, 2012 - 17:48

Bill Kays IS Again' right on.' Mrs. G Brown -( Brown-e)

• johnthames
    September 02, 2012 - 12:09

Foolish waste of resources...

• zigzagfreeburning
    September 02, 2012 - 09:08

If they are the plants beside the car . I can tell that they are not worth 25000$. How do they know that it will roll 10000 joints. I say what was grown there would not even been hitting the streets it would be for personal use. How they Lie as Police to make them selfs look good

• P. J. O'Rourke
    September 02, 2012 - 07:45

No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. - P. J. O'Rourke

• Chong
      September 02, 2012 - 09:10

Dave's not here man. - Chong

• Timothy Leary
      September 02, 2012 - 09:12

"They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet." -Timothy Leary

• Willie Nelson
      September 02, 2012 - 09:16

"Marijuana is an herb and a flower. God put it here. If He put it here and He wants it to grow, what gives the government the right to say that God is wrong?" - Willie Nelson

• Barack Obama
      September 02, 2012 - 09:23

“When I was a kid, I inhaled… frequently. That was the point.” - Barack Obama

• God's Word
      September 02, 2012 - 09:26

"Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." - The Bible, Genesis 1:29

• Blondie
    September 01, 2012 - 21:29

Thank you to the RCMP FOR DOING A GOOD JOB . i FOR ONE AM GREATFULL TO HAVE IT OFF THE STREET .

• CF
    September 01, 2012 - 18:23

First of all: Nobody I know has ever bought or sold "marijuana joints". It isn't sold this way, ever. Using those terms is just a way to make this bust sound bigger than it is. Crack down on the hard drugs, and leave the potheads alone. They don't hurt anybody. Few will applaud this relatively unimportant enforcement because the majority of the population disagrees with it.

• mad as hell
    September 01, 2012 - 18:15

More than 6 plants for sure. That's 6 months. If it's 201-500 then that's one year. 500+ plants, 2 years. These are the new minimum sentences. If grown on someone else's property then there is a 50% increase in the minimum, So - how many plants were there? Seems like a worthy thing to have reported...

• don
    September 01, 2012 - 18:15

"Weed" is dam near legal anyways .big whopee. get these crackhead stealin f..kers off the streets,theres the prob, not weed

• concerned citizen
    September 01, 2012 - 18:05

How big is a joint?

• statler
      September 02, 2012 - 12:39

That depends on what joint your talking about the knee joint os bigger than the elbow and so on

• Curious George wants to know
    September 01, 2012 - 16:39

So...tell me...is it marijuana or marihuana??? I don't know man...10,000 joints eh!!!...how did they come up with that figure??? Just wondering...do they actually weigh or measure the amount, per joint,, to determine how much goes into the making of one???. In any case, whomever came up with that figure, sure knows what they are talkin' about...no what I mean, jelly-bean....lol

• WERESOSPINELESS
    September 01, 2012 - 14:27

Well, if the RCMP would prefer people buy their supply from well organized, out-of-province dealers, so be it. What's the numbers on people who think weed should be legalized? 100%?

• dm
      September 03, 2012 - 00:05

yes the rcmp and city police dose want us to keep buying pot from the mob/oc, if it was legal and organized crime didn't have the millions every month from pot sales just from p.e.i then a lot of their jobs would get cut right like they should be now anyway

• Super High Me
    September 01, 2012 - 13:56

I, for one, will sleep soundly tonight knowing this miscreant is off the streets and the fuzz got the dope. (Sarcasm) Meanwhile, it's open season for crank, crack, coke, heroin, bath salts, and all kinds of prescription goodies. I guarantee you the potheads aren't the ones breaking into houses, cars, businesses, etc. or stealing anything not nailed down. Legalize pot and make some tax dollars to fight the real drug abuse problems. Oh wait, as long as Harper is getting his marching orders from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, I guess that is just another "pipe dream".

• jt
    September 01, 2012 - 13:53

How many ways can you spell it?......guess they should have just said weed,

• Wonder Wayne
    September 01, 2012 - 13:14

It looks like this winter's supply will be coming from out-of-province gangs instead of our local boys. When there is demand, there will be supply.

• HannibalTheCannabis