Two P.E.I. men dead, an Island woman in hospital, following Alberta shooting

Published on December 15, 2011

Facebook photo of Shayna Conway

Published on December 15, 2011

Tanner Craswell, left, Mitchell MacLean, both in their 20s and both from the greater Charlottetown area were shot and killed in a horrific multiple shooting in Alberta Thursday.

Published on December 15, 2011

An RCMP member uses a metal detector beside the shot up vehicle as they investigate a serious incident with multiple bodies along Highway 2 northbound just north of Claresholm, AB on December 15, 2011. Three people are dead in the shooting.

Published on December 15, 2011

Mitchell MacLean

Published on December 15, 2011

Tanner Craswell

Published on December 15, 2011

The scene of a multiple shooting in Alberta on Thursday. The black SUV is believed to be the vehicle the Prince Edward Island occupants were in. Two of the victims were from P.E.I.

Published on December 15, 2011

The scene of a multiple shooting in Alberta on Thursday. Two vehicles were involved. Two of the victims were from P.E.I.

Published on December 15, 2011

The scene of a multiple shooting in Alberta on Thursday. Two of the victims were from P.E.I.

Published on December 15, 2011

An RCMP member walks past the tarped vehicle as tow truck prepares to haul one of the vehicles involved in a serious incident up onto to flatbed as RCMP investigate a serious incident with multiple bodies along Highway 2 northbound just north of Claresholm, AB on Dec. 15, 2011.

Published on December 15, 2011

The scene of a multiple shooting in Alberta on Thursday. Two vehicles were involved Two of the victims were from P.E.I.

Five people were shot in what RCMP are describing as a murder suicide which happened along Highway 2 north of the Alberta community of Claresholm.

Two Prince Edward Island men are dead and a Charlottetown woman is in hospital following a multiple shooting south of Calgary, Alberta Thursday morning.

Mitch MacLean, 20 of Cornwall, and Tanner Craswell of Charlottetown, who had just celebrated his 22 birthday on Wednesday, were shot to death just north of Claresholm, Alberta at approximately 3:30 a.m. while on the way to the Calgary airport to return home for Christmas.

See map HERE

Also shot but now recovering in hospital is Shayna Conway, formerly of the Parkdale district of Charlottetown. She is recovering at the Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary after being transported by ground ambulance.

Another woman from Lethbridge, Alberta, was also shot and killed. Her ex-boyfriend is considered to be the shooter in the case. He committed suicide following the shooting.

In all there were five people involved, two men and a woman dead at the scene, one man who later died after being airlifted by helicopter to hosptital, and Conway as the lone survivor.

MacLean had recently written on his Facebook page, seeming to suggest the two boys would be back in P.E.I. on Thursday, the very day of the shooting.

Both young men were attending a developmental baseball college, the Prairie Baseball Academy, in Lethbridge, south of Calgary.

Claresholm is located between the two.

RCMP are not releasing the names or hometowns of the victims but The Guardian confirmed their identities from friends and acquaintances of the victims as well as national news organizations.

Autopsies will officially confirm the cause of death and identities, the RCMP in Alberta told The Guardian. That information is not expected until later today or tomorrow.

“I don’t know why. That’s a question that everyone’s going to be asking for a long time — is why. There’s probably no answer to that one,” said Todd Hubka, who’d coached Tanner Craswell and Mitch Maclean at Prairie Baseball Academy.

“I love them both. I’ll miss them. They were good kids, good teammates.” Todd Hubka, coach, Prairie Baseball Academy in Lethbridge

Craswell and Maclean were up-and-coming baseball players and best friends.

The two were heading to the Calgary International Airport to catch an early morning flight home for Christmas.

Teammates of the young men gathered at the baseball academy as the heartbreaking news sunk in.

“It’s devastating,” said Hubka. “I love them both. I’ll miss them. They were good kids, good teammates.”

The men graduated from the baseball program last year.

Craswell, who helped coach at the academy, was upgrading some college courses and planned to continue his university education next year.

Maclean was upgrading courses to attend Louisiana State University Shreveport.

They left Lethbridge at about 1 a.m. to catch their early morning flight, said Hubka.

The Calgary Herald, a Postmedia News company, reports that Claresholm RCMP were called to a northbound lane of Highway 2 for reports of gunshots early Thursday.

They found two vehicles and the bodies of two men and a woman. A third man was airlifted to hospital, where he later died.

RCMP said the shooter was a man who died by suicide. All remaining deaths are murder, said police so there are no other suspects in the case.

Police first towed away a green Pontiac Sunfire from the scene. A black SUV with two broken windows on the driver's side and a broken rear window was later removed.

Up to 15 investigators, including members of identification and major crimes sections, were working the scene.

Claresholm Mayor David Moore said the town of 3,700 residents is stunned by what happened.

"We don't have anything like this happen in Claresholm," the mayor told Postmedia News. "It's a pretty huge event for a town our size."

(With files from Jason van Rassel, Clara Ho and Jamie Komarnicki of the Calgary Herald and Bill McGuire of The Guardian)

Organizations: RCMP, Highway 2, Postmedia News Calgary Airport

Geographic location: Alberta, Claresholm, Prince Edward Island Calgary

• Shane C.
    December 21, 2011 - 20:07

I am an islander living out westI am so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families.

• Lori
    December 19, 2011 - 04:43

I am so terribley sorry for all of the familes involved in this horrendous tragedy. May you all take comfort in one anothers arms and may the Lord above be watching over you all. Prayers to all of the families, and friends of all whom passed away or that has survived may you all be able to find peace again someday. My deepest condolences once again to all involved.

• Max
    December 18, 2011 - 21:48

From Palm Springs California, devastating and such needless tradgedy. My condolances to the families and to all the people of PEI.

• Mac
      December 19, 2011 - 15:41

Such a horrible thing to happen. I played with Tanner a few years ago when he was first becoming a star. Really nice young man.....It's so sad.

• Jean Moss
    December 18, 2011 - 13:46

My heart goes out to the families of the victims of this horrific crime ......and my prayers go out to them all ...and for the young lady that survived this will be a hard thing for her once she fully recovers ...may god give her the strength to move forward

• KathyLynde
    December 17, 2011 - 23:32

When I heard this sad and tragic news I felt absolutely sick in my stomach. As a parent I know how exciting it is th have the children come home for Christmas. The news that these children are not coming home is one of disbelief. My deepest sympathy to the families of Tabitha, Mitch and Tanner. I pray that Shayna will recover completely. This is an experience she will not forget easily. Why did the troubled young man who did this terrible thing have so many guns? Why do any young people have guns? This surely is a sign that all is not well. I shall pray for the shooter's family as their sorrow, shock, and grief must be immense.

• Tayler
    December 17, 2011 - 02:43

Wow..nobody has said anything on here..but Tabitha passed away too..I knew her and I was friends with her and went to school with her/.this is not her fault!! She was so kind and will be remember that on peace tabbycat :( we miss you so much

• Islander working out west
    December 17, 2011 - 00:26

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the 2 young men and the young lady, to whom no words can express their loss. may god keep you in your time of need. and i pray for the young lady who is recovering in the hosptital.

• These Eyes
    December 16, 2011 - 17:31

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts..... and we are never the same!

• Michelle Doiron
    December 16, 2011 - 16:50

This is such a tragedy!! My heart goes out to the families who have lost so much!! Losing a child is one of the worst things that could happen to a parent; but losing them due to s senseless crime is devastating! From a fellow Islander, I will keep all families in my thoughts and prayers as you try to deal with this tragedy. Please be strong in the love that is surrounding you in your hour of need! And to Shayna I wish you a speedy recovery. As to the comment that some are making regarding speculations on what happened, you should just stop and think how the family of these young people are feeling...if this happened to your family would you want to read conspiracy theories? I would think not!!!

• Rita Layden
    December 16, 2011 - 16:20

my heart is heartbroken over this.I didn't know any of them but it really saddened me when i heard this. My deepest smypathy goes out to the families.

• Rhonda
    December 16, 2011 - 14:17

I am from the east coast as well, living in Calgary. As a mother of a 21 yr old I have no words, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

• Rico.G
      December 16, 2011 - 16:48

Why Isn't there any information about the female fatality..I mean she might not be from "the Island" but she was a living person ,a Canadian citizen. I find it very strange that you do not mention her in this article..

• Tracey
    December 16, 2011 - 13:14

So very senseless and horrific. My heart breaks for the families of these young people whose futures have been tragically taken from them. I am so sorry for your losses. This is a parent's worst kind of heartache.

• marion Johnston
    December 16, 2011 - 12:54

My Condolences to all families and friends of all these people ;this is a terrible tragedy and so senseless .My love and prayers to you all.I'm formerly from Summerside PEI and have just returned home to Kingston Ont.I'm so sorry for your loss.God be with you ,to help you find some peace.

• Tracey
    December 16, 2011 - 12:17

• unknown.
    December 16, 2011 - 12:01

ARE YOU KIDDING ME , NOTHING ABOUT THIS SITUATION IS SUSPICIOUS , THESE KIDS WERE THERE GOING TO SCHOOL & PLAYING BALL THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME , THESE KIDS WERE BOTH AMAZING TALENTED BOYS , HAVE SOME MORE RESPECT THEN THAT , THERE IS NO COINCIDENCE ABOUT IT! .. if you have nothing good to say or if your not sending love to the families in heartache right now i dont think your words on here mean anything and im sure people would appreciate you not saying anything at all

• Vanessa
    December 16, 2011 - 11:38

My thoughts are with the family and friends. Such a terrible thing to happen. I didn't know them very well. But Tanner was my neighbor at one point and I remember seeing him with friends around all the time. I knew Shayna from growing up, she was always a nice girl with a smile on her face. I never met Mitch before, but he was probably and great guy with a big heart. Sorry for your loss.

• Sylvia
    December 16, 2011 - 11:18

My heartfelt condolences are being sent to all family members and friends of these two fine young men and to all victims of this horrible crime. Being a mother of 2 adult sons, I can only imagine the grief and shock that their families and friends must be feeling.

• Islander out west
    December 16, 2011 - 11:15

I saw Mitch play baseball nationally a couple of years ago. He was probably PEI's best player. As an Islander living out west, who is heading home for Christmas in a few days, this really hits home. Prayers go out to the families of the victims.

• Student Islander about to head home for christmas
      December 16, 2011 - 12:25

Thoughts and prayers to families and everyone back home affected by this tragedy. RIP to the boys, didn't know them personally but from what I hear from friends they were great guys and had tons of potential. Went to high school with Shayna, and am praying for her recovery. PEI being the size it is, its hard not to know someone personally who has been affected by this senseless act of violence. Again thoughts and prayers this holiday season.

• Jacinta Deveaux
    December 16, 2011 - 11:13

PEI being the small province it is, baseball players and parents tend to run into each other along the way, that is the case here. Baseball has been the savior of many or our children, but how do we protect them from this. I as a mom find this story very troubleing. What turns people into monsters that will do the likes of this. I can only pray for these families, Please accept my sincerest condolences from myself and our family. : ' (

• Gloria MacKay
    December 16, 2011 - 11:05

Tragic, devastating loss for the families of these promising young people, their friends and their community. May God bless you and all of us as this horrendous story unfolds.

• cindy
    December 16, 2011 - 10:39

This was not done by "a guy crazy in love"! If you think you love someone and then you injure or kill them, you never loved at all. You only wanted to possess that person. Murderers are only little, selfish people who destroy what they can't ever have. They destroy the happiness of many others without ever giving it a second thought.

• Candice
    December 16, 2011 - 10:02

my thoughts and prayers are with the families of this senseless tragedy. I can't imagine the pain these families are going through right now, my heart is breaking for these young people who were taken from us far too soon. I didn't know either of these boys but being as they are both from PEI they are like family. I hope that the families have someone to lean on in these tough times. RIP young ones.

• Lori Fiander
    December 16, 2011 - 09:58

I live 15 min from the accident and a former east coast. Please know our hearts go out to all of the family and friends at this time our hearts here in the country are breaking for you all today

• Shirley McManus
    December 16, 2011 - 09:15

Cindy and Keith I am so sorry to here about Tanner Please call me if there is anything you need Shirley McManus

• Linda Dicks
    December 16, 2011 - 08:51

RIP, all who lost their life so tragicly , esp at this time of year . GB the families and the lone survivor...Prayers going out to them !

• Jody
    December 16, 2011 - 08:25

So, so sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to all families involved. The families and loved ones of these young people will need the support of everyone around them...especially to get through the holidays. I speak from experience when I say the holidays are harder to get through then the regular days. Prayers to the young lady who is recovering as her physical recovery will probably be easier than her mental recover. Just so sad. I'm crying as I write. I like to think everything happens for a reason but I'm questioning this one.

• Alex
    December 16, 2011 - 08:07

Why is it that every Christmas sompthing tragic happens and puts family's in gref I hope that the family's will have a good cristmas and my prayers go out to you

• Kelli Clarke
    December 16, 2011 - 08:04

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these 3 young peo ple. Such a tragic and an enormous loss.

• Heather
    December 16, 2011 - 07:12

R.I.P Tanner & Mitch, Get better Shayna! I Knew all 3 victoms not so much Mitch as the other two, both Tanner and Shayna were classmates of mine, both were awesome people! So shocking to hear of the event that took Tanners & Mitches lives, far too soon with so much left to live for including their love, the dreams, their futures in baseball, God bless you boys :'( This should never have happened to 2 such amazing boys. Reality will hurt more once it sets in. My thoughts and prayers to all your families, a week left til Christmas and a day after Tanners birthday.. too soon, too wrong, should never have happened.

• Devastated in PEI
    December 16, 2011 - 06:01

Friends of Tanner and Mitch are devastated here in PEI. Condolences and prayers go out to all the victims families. PEI is rocked and crippled by this senseless tragedy. Prayers go to Shayna and her family. Please don't make racist or derrogatory comments. These were good boys from good families in the prime of their lives and careers on their way home to see their families. We don't even know the name of the poor girl from Lethbridge who got shot. It's a sad sad day in PEI.

• A Mother
    December 16, 2011 - 03:54

My deepest sympathies to their families. My heart goes out to you all!

December 16, 2011 - 01:25

An out of control jealous love gone tragic. Lost for words. So sorry for all families affected by this act of anger and rage and best regards for the lone survivor who will have many long and difficult days ahead coming to terms with the aftermath. So sorry to hear of this. From a dual resident of PEI and Calgary, Alberta.

• Katryna
    December 16, 2011 - 01:02

I am in absolute disbelief. My heart goes out to the families and friends of Mitch and Tanner. Healing thoughts and positive vibes being sent to Shayna. I am so sorry for your loss.

• Neddy Longlegs
    December 15, 2011 - 23:50

Suspicious, whatever you mean by your moronic comment please just crawl back under your rock. The last thing people need at this time are trolls like you hoping to cause more pain. What a pathetic sicko.

• Peter M
    December 15, 2011 - 23:43

Condolences to the families and friends of these young people. Such a senseless tragedy to happen. Please don't use this forum to spew "theories". Keep your negative comments and to yourself. The families are going through enough without all that. Thoughts and prayers to you all. RIP Tanner and Mitch.

• Linda
    December 15, 2011 - 23:40

From Newfoundland and living in Alberta. We are so sad to hear of these events. It feels as if we have lost our own. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these young men and may they find the strength to get through this difficult time.

• Kerry
    December 15, 2011 - 22:55

Seriously, let's focus here - your "theories" are not relevant. What is relevant is the extraordinary loss these families are facing. We should be sending nothing but love to them - nothing but love. If you have allegations against law enforcement, media or government please have some respect and take those concerns to appropriate places - which does not include forums to express sorrow and support for families and friends affected by this tragedy. Please mind your manners and show some respect. Deepest condolences and blessing from Calgary.

• Debby
    December 15, 2011 - 22:18

Heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers for their families.

• Molly
    December 15, 2011 - 22:17

My prayers go out to the families. Praying for the Conway and Crosby family at this time. Stay strong and Positive, God Bless you all.

• Debby
    December 15, 2011 - 22:16

Heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers for their families.

• Randy
    December 15, 2011 - 22:06

I played ball against Tanner and knew of Mitch. My condolences go out to Keith and the Craswell family, and the MacLean family. God bless you all. I'm just in a state of disbelief.

• Tom Ogden
    December 15, 2011 - 21:30

Stay strong, Shayna!!! Take care and make a full recovery. My thoughts are with you, your family, and the families of those poor boys.

• Olwyn Buckland
    December 15, 2011 - 21:25

From Claresholm AB. Such a tragic event. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families.

• Suspicious
    December 15, 2011 - 20:34

Hmmmm....first a "murder suicide stabbing" on a highway in a "murder Suicide" shooting on a highway on the other side of the country....also with victims from PEI! What a crazy coincidence!

• Are You For Real
      December 15, 2011 - 21:53

Are you serious..... ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? Take your conspiracy theories and shove them.

• You're classless
      December 15, 2011 - 22:02

Are you serious? These friends and family are shocked and saddened by the events of today and you're coming on here and making conspiracy comments? Give your head a shake and show some respect.

• ....
      December 15, 2011 - 23:34

it was just wrong place wrong time .. no "suspicious" activity just a young guy crazy in love ... literally

• LA
      December 16, 2011 - 12:14

Save it. Two young men are dead. It's not about you and your penchant for gossip.

• pei
    December 15, 2011 - 19:50

RIP Mitch and Tanner. God bless you boys.

• Ashley
    December 15, 2011 - 19:47

Such horrible news! Especially knowing they were on their way home for Christmas, just breaks my heart! May their loved ones find the strength to get through this, my heart goes out to you!

• very sad
    December 15, 2011 - 18:33

My thought's & prayers going out to the families of these two boys during this very difficult time.