Tignish hosting P.E.I. ceremony for Canada Day

Wayne Thibodeau

TIGNISH - Prince Edward Island residents planning to attend the official Canada Day celebrations this year will have to head west.
The big party, which is usually held in Charlottetown, is going to be held in Tignish.
Kendall Arsenault, an organizer with the Canada Day party in Tignish, says residents are honoured to be able to play host to the provincial ceremony.
Canada Day falls on the last day of the Irish Moss Festival, which runs from June 20 to July 1.
"Everyone is pretty excited and honoured to be able to do this," said Arsenault.
Events get underway with a reception for invited guests at the Tignish Heritage Inn. Those invited guests include Lt.-Gov. Barbara A. Hagerman, Premier Robert Ghiz and federal Fisheries and Oceans Minister Gail Shea.
Public events get underway at 11 a.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion, following a march that will include the RCMP in full ceremonial dress.
There will be a raising of the national flag and the provincial flag, remarks by dignitaries as well as birthday cake.
Martha Ellis, volunteer president of the Celebrate Canada committee in P.E.I., said it's great to get the big provincial party out to smaller communities across the province.
"No matter where you go in P.E.I. on July 1 you'll see crowds of people celebrating the fact that we're all part of this wonderful country," said Ellis.
Arsenault said the Irish Moss Festival will still be going strong on Canada Day.
There will be a giant outdoor stage where live music will be playing throughout the day. There will be games for the children and barbecues over lunch and supper and a huge fireworks display to end the day. Those fireworks will be held at the ball diamonds next to the legion.
The newly created Memorial Veterans Gardens, which are adjacent to the legion, will also be officially unveiled on Canada Day.

Organizations: Tignish Heritage Inn, Royal Canadian Legion, RCMP Celebrate Canada committee

Geographic location: Tignish, P.E.I., Prince Edward Island Charlottetown Veterans Gardens

Comments

Comments

• Weak
    July 08, 2010 - 19:08

I laugh at the people who say it is 2 and a half hour drive. It's merely 1 and a half maybe shorter. Maybe if ya stop commenting on here about our bad rep, maybe we'll keep the bad rep and just treat yas like the pencil-pushin preps yas are.

• Former WPer
    July 08, 2010 - 19:04

Do you realize that not all Charottown residents are friendly towards strangers?

there are days I am surprised there aren't rallies at the cruise ships to tell them to go home.

I've know people from Tignish who were physically assaulted because someone from Charlottetown found out they were from that end of the island.

Maybe you were up there telling them that they were uneducated yokels who should kiss the ground you walk on because you paid their welfare? that seems to be a typical attiude. I'd not be friendly either.

• Charlottetownian
    July 08, 2010 - 18:25

Pandering

• Shirley
    July 08, 2010 - 18:19

My husband and I have recently moved to the Tignish neighbourhood (from the center of the universe -Toronto) and have been welcomed by the wonderful people of Tignish. Seems like Ch'town also think they are the center of the universe. All I have to say is suck it up buttercup, take a walk on the wild side!

• Shannon
    July 08, 2010 - 17:51

does this mean there won't be fireworks in charlottetown??

• Kyle
    July 08, 2010 - 17:29

Come on, other parts of PEI should be allowed to host events such as this every now and then.

haha, and just so you know, there are indeed children in Tignish and the surrounding areas too.

• annoyed
    July 08, 2010 - 17:09

I can't believe how disrespectful some people are towards the community of Tignish.
    People! we are grown ups, lets act it!

• Denise
    July 08, 2010 - 17:06

I am from Charlottetown and I moved up west about two months ago. I personally am pleased that they are holding some of the events up west this year! They hardly have anything up here, and ive been asking around for a week whats being held up west for canada day.. nada.. They dont really have any celebrations.. so good for them. And I dont think its the complete celebration held up here, Just alot of the political stuff, and some fireworks, im sure they will still be holding stuff in town too.. so people please, dont get your panties in a knot.. sheesh

• Average
    July 08, 2010 - 16:53

Just to clarify, the Canada Day Celebrations that are held in Charlottetown EVERY YEAR are STILL being held in Charlottetown this year.

The media have mis-reported the situation. The Federal Government's Canada Day Celebration Committee (headed up by Martha Ellis) are moving their hour-long program that was traditionally held at Province House to Tignish because it's in Gail Shea's riding.

The real Canada Day Celebrations with children's programming, family-friendly activities, buskers, demonstrations, 10-hour free concert programming and the largest fireworks display next to the ones put on in Ottawa is ALL STILL HAPPENING IN CHARLOTTETOWN.

The schedule of activities for Canada Day can be found at www.walkandseacharlottetown.com/summerfest/schedule-of-events.php

• road goes both ways
    July 08, 2010 - 16:40

it's the same distance from charlottetown to tignish as tignish to charlottetown. you whiners that are complaining about the traveling it's one year, any other year if anyone from up west wants to celebrate the festivities they have to travel to ch'town, so what's the difference other that feeling wrongly entitled just because you live in the city.

• This doesn't check out
    July 08, 2010 - 16:24

I called tourism Charlottetown to check - and they don't seem to know anything about this. All the celebrations are still planned to take place in Charlottetown, and they claim that the biggest fireworks show east of Ottawa is in Ch'town. I don't understand this article...

• Upwester
    July 08, 2010 - 16:22

If you want fireworks, Lennox Island in St Annes Sunday is much better than anything charlootetown puts on.

• Not Sure
    July 08, 2010 - 16:18

I think the Big Party is the events on Canada, like the boring political speakers and the actual offical part of the Canada Day stuff. Charlottetown is still having the Summerfest which includes Canada Day and they're having Fire Works which are apparently going to be the biggest in Canada. Let Tignish have their party, I sure as hack am not driving 2 and half hours from Charlottetown to go to Tignish, friendly or not, its too far away!

• AreYouKiddingMe????
    July 08, 2010 - 16:15

I wonder do they realize that not all the people in Tignish are accepting of strangers and people that are not from there? I've been there a few time and it did not go over good and I wont be going back. I've heard this from a number of people. If you get around the wrong crowd up there, they will surely make you feel unwanted.

Hope they have extra security, because there will be plenty of fights.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people up there that would do just about anything for a stranger, just be careful of the rest of them.

• pichey
    July 08, 2010 - 16:01

wow we got some fireworks!that should improve alot of stuff for tig,and if their's going to be any fighting i'll volunteer my services,just a little crazy for us up here.maybe some of the police from the island that are at the g2 summit could leave early so things don't get out of hand.gve me a break!from ch'town do you think we are all crazy,we are noted for being alot nicer then some people in town so get up on the right side of the bed next time please,their is a part of the island left west of s'side.

• Quiet
    July 08, 2010 - 15:58

I agree with Mary-Helen. This is very short notice for a change in tradition.

I have my children and grand-children all planning to be here for the Canada Day events.

With the age of the grand children, driving to Tignish is out of the question.

Nothing against Tignish, but a little advance notice of the change would have saved a lot of inconvenience for people who have made plans to attend the traditional Charlottetown Canada Day events.

• tignisher
    July 08, 2010 - 15:56

It is actually a 1 and a half hour drive... its not off the face of the earth!

• more cowbell
    July 08, 2010 - 15:47

I THINK IT'S GREAT!!!

• Another
    July 08, 2010 - 15:41

We need a few rounabouts built in bustling Tignish as well. Someone in higher places must have a fixation lately with Tignish.

• Peachy
    July 08, 2010 - 15:38

Why do people figure that they can paint all people from one area with the same paintbrush?
    We are not all bullies any more than all residents of Charlottetown, Summerside, or where ever are.
    Do you realize that when someone is in need up here for medical reasons or because something unfortunate happened to them, the community bands together and raises thousands of dollars for them. We are a kind hearted community.
    Is there anything wrong with Tignish having the fireworks for one year? We have to travel to Summerside and Charlottetown for most of our entertainment the rest of the year, so please, give us this one thing without grumbling?

• Mary-Helen
    July 08, 2010 - 15:07

I am disappointed to hear about this on such short notice! I have family that have planned a vacation here and are coming early specifically to see the fireworks. With a 2 year old, driving to Tignish and back to see fireworks is not an easy option. I wonder how many others are visiting and will be disappointed...

• outraged
    July 08, 2010 - 15:04

i really can't believe this..has anyone thought of the children of Charlottetown...anyone else notice the large crowds leaving fireworks yearly? so heres a great idea...lets put the fire works far away from the city ....who do we complain to about this?

• Weak
    July 08, 2010 - 14:53

• Former WPer

• Charlottetownian

Pandering

• Shirley

• Shannon
    July 08, 2010 - 14:52

does this mean there won't be fireworks in charlottetown??

• Kyle

• annoyed
    July 08, 2010 - 14:52

People! we are grown ups, lets act it!

• Denise

• Average

• road goes both ways

• This doesn't check out

• Upwester

• AreYouKiddingMe????
    July 08, 2010 - 14:52

Hope they have extra security, because there will be plenty of fights.

• Not Sure

• pichey

• tignisher
    July 08, 2010 - 14:52

It is actually a 1 and a half hour drive... its not off the face of the earth!

• Quiet
    July 08, 2010 - 14:52

I agree with Mary-Helen. This is very short notice for a change in tradition.

With the age of the grand children, driving to Tignish is out of the question.

• more cowbell

July 08, 2010 - 14:51

Pandering

• Shirley
    July 08, 2010 - 14:51

• Shannon
    July 08, 2010 - 14:50

does this mean there won't be fireworks in charlottetown??

• Kyle

• annoyed
    July 08, 2010 - 14:50

People! we are grown ups, lets act it!

• Denise

• Average

• road goes both ways

• Upwester

• This doesn't check out

• Not Sure

• AreYouKiddingMe????
    July 08, 2010 - 14:50

Hope they have extra security, because there will be plenty of fights.

• pichey

• Quiet
    July 08, 2010 - 14:50

I agree with Mary-Helen. This is very short notice for a change in tradition.

With the age of the grand children, driving to Tignish is out of the question.

• tignisher
    July 08, 2010 - 14:50

It is actually a 1 and a half hour drive... its not off the face of the earth!

• more cowbell

July 08, 2010 - 14:48

Pandering

• Shirley
    July 08, 2010 - 14:48

• Shannon
    July 08, 2010 - 14:47

does this mean there won't be fireworks in charlottetown??

• Kyle

• annoyed
    July 08, 2010 - 14:47

People! we are grown ups, lets act it!

• Denise

• Average

• road goes both ways

• Upwester

• This doesn't check out

• Not Sure

• AreYouKiddingMe????
    July 08, 2010 - 14:47

Hope they have extra security, because there will be plenty of fights.

• pichey

• Quiet
    July 08, 2010 - 14:47

I agree with Mary-Helen. This is very short notice for a change in tradition.

With the age of the grand children, driving to Tignish is out of the question.

• tignisher
    July 08, 2010 - 14:47

It is actually a 1 and a half hour drive... its not off the face of the earth!

• more cowbell

I THINK IT'S GREAT!!!

• Another

• Peachy

• outraged

• Mary-Helen

• Weak

• Former WPer

• Charlottetownian

Pandering

• Shirley

• Shannon
    July 08, 2010 - 14:46

does this mean there won't be fireworks in charlottetown??

• Kyle

• Denise

• annoyed
    July 08, 2010 - 14:46

People! we are grown ups, lets act it!

• Average

• road goes both ways

• This doesn't check out

• Upwester

• AreYouKiddingMe????
    July 08, 2010 - 14:46

Hope they have extra security, because there will be plenty of fights.

• Not Sure

• pichey

• Quiet
    July 08, 2010 - 14:45

I agree with Mary-Helen. This is very short notice for a change in tradition.

With the age of the grand children, driving to Tignish is out of the question.

• tignisher
    July 08, 2010 - 14:45

It is actually a 1 and a half hour drive... its not off the face of the earth!

• more cowbell

I THINK IT'S GREAT!!!

• Another

• Peachy

• outraged

• Mary-Helen

• Weak

• Former WPer

• Charlottetownian

Pandering

• Shirley

• Shannon
    July 08, 2010 - 14:45

does this mean there won't be fireworks in charlottetown??

• Kyle

• Denise

• annoyed
    July 08, 2010 - 14:44

People! we are grown ups, lets act it!

• Average

• road goes both ways

• This doesn't check out

• Upwester

• Not Sure

• AreYouKiddingMe????
    July 08, 2010 - 14:44

Hope they have extra security, because there will be plenty of fights.

• pichey

• Quiet
    July 08, 2010 - 14:44

I agree with Mary-Helen. This is very short notice for a change in tradition.

With the age of the grand children, driving to Tignish is out of the question.

• tignisher
    July 08, 2010 - 14:44

It is actually a 1 and a half hour drive... its not off the face of the earth!

• more cowbell