© P.E.I. Humane Society
Holiday tip from Humane Society says don't put food decorations on tree in homes with pets
The first animal to be profiled in the 2015 edition of the 12 Strays of Christmas is Gizmo.
This handsome eight-month-old rottweiler/retriever puppy is very happy and loves to be around people.
Gizmo doesn’t like cats and would be OK with older children.
He is still learning manners and would require puppy training classes.
Holiday Tip #1: Do not decorate the tree with food.
Many a holiday tree has been pulled down in a pet’s attempt to eat the decorations made of popcorn, candy canes and gingerbread.
- Read more special articles:
- Pumpkin the cat looking for a home as one of 12 Strays of Christmas
- Santana the dog latest in 12 Strays of Christmas program
- Yukon the cat latest in 12 Strays of Christmas campaign
- Spotted rabbit needs adopting as one of 12 Strays of Christmas
This can damage the tree and decorations, as well as cause a pet stomach upset and possibly obstruction, necessitating surgery.
The 12 Strays of Christmas, a special feature produced by the P.E.I. Humane Society and The Guardian, will appear periodically during the holiday season.