Abortion policy to remain same: Ghiz

Teresa Wright

Despite the fact P.E.I. is still the only province in Canada that does not provide any abortion services, the provincial government is not looking to change things anytime soon.
"It's not really on our agenda right now,'' Premier Robert Ghiz told The Guardian.
"Right now the system in place does seem to be working, but we'll always consider the right to review things on a need basis.''
Dr. Henry Morgentaler's Order of Canada award last week has sparked a flurry of debate over the issue of abortion services in Canada - and on P.E.I. the topic is a sore one for women's groups and abortion rights activists.
P.E.I. doesn't offer any abortion services in Island hospitals and there are no private clinics that offer the service on the Island.
The provincial government does cover the cost of the procedure off-Island, but only if done in a hospital and if a woman has been referred by two doctors.
The government covers the cost of close to 50 abortions a year.
Women seeking an abortion must travel to the private Morgentaler clinic in Fredericton or the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Halifax, but the province will not put any money towards abortions performed at free-standing clinics.
"I feel quite disappointed and frustrated after all these years that we still haven't got any of these services - I think that it's a real disservice to Island women who need this medically necessary service,'' said Ann Wheatley.
Wheatley used to work for a pro-choice organization called the Canadian Abortion Rights Action League.
The organization once funded a toll-free help line for women on P.E.I. seeking information on abortion. But when the organization folded, the funding for the help line disappeared and the number was disconnected.
Wheatley said the fact there are no local resources and that women are forced to travel out of province to get an abortion has created a disparity between women who can afford to take time off work and travel and those who can't.
"It really does create hardships for women particularly who are on low incomes and have to travel off-Island to have abortions - the current policy really does discriminate against women on low incomes, I feel,'' Wheatley said.
In 1988, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down Canada's abortion law as unconstitutional.
The fact that not all women have access to this service is something that the P.E.I. Advisory Council on the Status of Women would like to see changed.
"It's an unequal access to health services and that's not appropriate for Island women to have to bear the expense on top of the difficulty of going through the procedure,'' said Lisa Murphy of the council. "It's wholly unfair for Island women to have to bear that when other Canadian women don't.''
But Hemke Vanderzwaag, president of the P.E.I. Right to Life Association, believes P.E.I.'s lack of abortion services is something to be proud of.
"We don't think it is correct that we have abortion at all because God created life and we are not allowed to kill it.''
This vast difference of opinions and the emotions enshrined within them is partly to blame in keeping things at status quo, according to Ghiz.

Organizations: The Guardian, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Halifax, Canadian Abortion Rights Action League Supreme Court of Canada P.E.I. Advisory Council on the Status of Women Life Association

Geographic location: Iceland, Canada, Fredericton

Comments

Comments

• Emily
    November 06, 2011 - 11:49

For those too young to remember, abortion was practiced on PEI until 1982 when the Catholic and Protestant hospitals merged. Abortion is not a complicated surgery. There are political and religious reasons safe and legal abortions are not performed on the Island anymore, it is not about the complexity of the procedure. This article leaves out the number of women who have to pay for the procedure because they are not able to get the references in time. That number is higher on average, than those who are covered. Imagine a partner pokes a hole in the condom, imagine being a pregnant teenager, or raped, or a substance abuser, or a woman who thought she couldn't concieve, or a victim of incest. Abortion is not easy but it should be an option.

• Ro
    June 21, 2010 - 20:43

This debate is disgusting.

But not as disgusting as Morgentaler getting the Order of Canada.

The awards stock is plummeting faster than Nortel.

• Are you
    June 21, 2010 - 20:42

Jimbo: I'm sorry..What? Deep in my heart I know the truth?? Give me a break...please refrain from feeling sorry for me~I can do without your feelings. If this changes later in my life, when i'm thinking clearly , I ll be sure to get in touch.

Sheesh...
    It really bothers me when other people think they know what is right and wrong for me!

• Note to 'Robert the Brave
    June 21, 2010 - 20:41

Duck Mr. Ghiz! You might have to take a stand, or even worse, make a decision.

Tell us again how your courageous actions square with the women's rights provisions in the Charter of Rights.

We all support the Charter, don't we Bob? Well, don't we? Uhh don't we?

Bob? Bob? Stalwart of the Liberal Party?
    Keeper of the Trudeau legacy...Equal rights for everyone...blah blah blah

Yeah, we hear you Bob.

• DL
    June 21, 2010 - 20:41

OK.....so.....let me see if I have this correct....

The PEI government accepts its legal obligation to fund abortions, but in a false sense of trying to appease anti-abortionists will not allow the procedure to occur on the Island.

Final analysis: PEI Women are subjected to unwarranted discrimination/hardship and I assume the PEI taxpayer is forced to pay the added expense of having the procedure done off-island. A classic example of a political decision which further burdens the taxpayer and satisfies no one!

• PEISlander
    June 21, 2010 - 20:41

Legal doesn't mean right.
    Take note: History has shown that there has been many things in our past that have been legal but wrong.
    There are very, very few situations where a child has to be aborted for medical reasons. It is the exception so I find it very difficult that this argument is used time and time again as a reason to legalize and justify the practice as a whole.

• cruxoftheissue
    June 21, 2010 - 20:40

Actually, if you follow the Elective Abortion defense of : It's my body, I can do what I want- through to it's logical conclusion, prostitution and IV drug use would in truth have MORE ethical currency than would abortion! At least when you are engaged solely in these activities, you harm only yourself--you do not risk murdering a baby. If it is a baby....depending on WHEN you personally believe (since science has yet to pin the date definatively down) that the developing glob of tissue instantaneously morphs into a human being...that is if LIFE is not an intrinsic part of conception, as virtually ALL of the world's religions have taught since the beginning of time btw.
    So, for me, since I do not know when LIFE begins for sure, and I do believe that we are all accountable for our actions, both here and eternally (if there is an eternity)--why risk it? Imagine you abort a BABY and not a TISSUE-GLOB, simply because you were ill-informed? Your grade 10 biology teacher told you that you had 12 weeks from conception to Baby....you are at week 5--safe, right? What if Mr. Grade 10 biology teacher was WRONG? What if your DOCTOR is WRONG? Doctors, by the way, are by NO MEANS in unilateral agreement on this issue--not even close. I doubt that you would EVER find one that would be willing to guarantee you that the GLOB is not a BABY, for sure. And what if, now that you are armed with your timetable, now that you are fully-armed with half the facts (since half the fact is all that is currently available to us)...What if you are a day late? An hour? A SECOND?
    What then? What did you just do, then? What would that make YOU, then?
    Is the universe structured such that such a person would reap no retribution for such an act? If so, then what does that mean for the idea of murder, at all?
    Either abortion is murder, always, or it never is. You can not have it both ways. The answer lies in determining FOR SURE when LIFE begins, at conception or....when?

• JP
    June 21, 2010 - 20:40

Since only about one other poster got this right I will repeat it for everyone:
    Government only pays for abortions that are medically necessary- indicating that the mother's health/life is at risk. She needs to have a referral from two different doctors in order to have the procedure performed. Government therefore does not pay for abortions as a form of birth control.

• worried
    June 21, 2010 - 20:40

Well I was just wondering if us as tax payers are supposed to pay for abortions then my birth control should be paid for too. Right! I do not believe in abortion but that is not the only reason that i think we should not have to pay for it. There are so many other things that the money could be going towards and like a lot of you have said we dont even get some of the health care we need to stay alive and we have to travel to get it. So why should we pay for something that is taking a life.

• As I said before
    June 21, 2010 - 20:39

You have to leave PEI for a lot more than abortions. That is all that this is really about. Many posters have identified that above. You want an abortion...go get it where it is available. You want heart surgery...go get it where it is available. You want brain surgery...go get it where it is available. Lots of medical services are elsewhere. Abortion is a medical procedure. You may not agree with abortion, but you still have to admit it is a medical procedure. It is a long way from the back room drunks that used to ram a coat hanger into a woman to cause an abortion. The article is telling PEI women you can get an abortion, but you have to travel to the clinic off Island, same as the man with the bad heart, or the woman with the brain tumor. End of discussion.

• Not our choice
    June 21, 2010 - 20:37

If we have religious freedom in this country, why are you so insistent on angrily trying to stiffle it?
    If you insist that there is no God (not sure how a logical thinking person can, just observe the order of the universe, it demands a creator.), then try thinking of those dear little babies being burned or torn apart until they die.
    If your conscience is that seared that compassion for millions of suffering babies does not make you think, then maybe checking out God could be an option for you. What have you got to lose?
    I find it ironic and sad how tolerant alot of you are of everything EXCEPT God and morality and all the good that comes from both.

• My own
    June 21, 2010 - 20:36

To not our choice from Cornwall: I don't think anyone is trying to stifle religious freedom. I do, however, think people are trying to point out three things. First, there are a number of different religions with a multitude of moral compasses to choose from--no one religion is right or wrong, so religion cannot be used to make choices for entire groups of people.

Second, religion is not fact--it is based on faith. Because of this, much interpretation is required. With interpretation comes personal bias and subjectiveness. Hence, you cannot say with great certainty that God does or does not agree with something.

Third--using the argument that God will punish you is hardly useful if the person you are trying to convince does not believe in God, or believes in a different God than you.

Religion is a personal choice and can be very helpful for people. Other people meet their spiritual needs in other ways. While some may see Abortion as murder, others may not--I only wish we could learn to accept a person's freedom of choice with respect and tolerance. Remember that you do not always know the situation a person is coming from...

To Just because it's legal: please do not worry about my spot in heaven or hell. Just worry about your own. I'm willing to take my chances and live my life in the way I see fit. I am a very moral, kind, and compassionate person~I feel quite strongly that when my time comes, my God will judge me as he or she sees fit...

• All for CHOICE
    June 21, 2010 - 20:36

Responsible people have safe sex, condoms break and responsible people get pregnant. Everyone deserves a choice be it parenting, adoption, or abortion.

Henry Morgantaler fought for what he believes in, that is why living in Canada is awesome, a right to choose for yourself and what you believe in (religion, sexual orientation, etc). I do agree that due to the size of PEI perhaps having clinics/facilities performing abortions in the province may be too much. PEI still gives its residents the right to choose, though not as easily accessible.

• wow..
    June 21, 2010 - 20:35

Abortions.. Anyone who has one that is not a life/death situation in my mind is a murderer.. I cant see how someone could live with themselves afterwards..

--The suction type abortion. This is where the unborn child is literally vacuumed from the mother's womb during the early stages of pregnancy.
    --The currette-type abortion is where the child is cut from the mother's womb with a spoon-like object.
    --A third type is similar to a Caesarean operation. The baby is surgically removed from the mother and allowed to suffocate, because the child's lungs aren't developed.
    --The fourth type of abortion is the Salt Brine technique. With this method, the unborn child is literally pickled to death by the injection of a strong salt solution. A few days after the injection the child is still born.
    --There is currently much debate about partial-birth abortions. This is where a child is partially delivered, then stabbed in the skull to have his or her brains sucked out.

Right throughout the Bible, murderthat is the intentional killing of innocent humansis regarded as a heinous sin (Exodus 20:13, Matthew 19:18, Romans 13:9). Since abortion kills an innocent human being, it is nothing less than murder. So all the usual hard cases pushed by pro-abortionists, e.g. What if the woman was raped?, What if the child is deformed?, What if she cant afford to keep the child? are irrelevant.

We should also remember Ezekiel 18:20, which prohibits executing a child for the crime of his/her father. This means that even the tragic cases of pregnancies due to incest or rape are no justification for killing the innocent child conceived.

DONT WANT THE BABY? ADOPTION!!

• Not our choice
    June 21, 2010 - 20:33

Religion and Christianity are two different things. If you claim to be a Christian you should live according to Christs teachings (found in Scripture.) In the basics of life, Christs teachings are actually quite clear (if we put all of our previous teaching and biases aside.) For those who really want to know, it is there for them.This is their choice.

ps It actually takes alot more faith to believe in evolution (or other options) than Christianity. History shows that.

• frank
    June 21, 2010 - 20:30

More references to God and how God didn't give us the right to murder. God did give man freewill though. So he gave man the CHOICE to do what they like. So again, as long as you admit you are a sinner, you've got your ticket to heaven, regardless of what you have done in the past. Didn't Jesus also say forgive 70x7? God would therefore be the ultimate forgiver, so anyone who is religious and had an abortion, please don't feel guilty over it because of your religion.

• Matt
    June 21, 2010 - 20:30

The world is going to end in 2012 anyways! http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=5301284&page=1

• Ron
    June 21, 2010 - 20:30

And another thing, in my opinion, the Government should not be funding abortions when they don't fund infertility treatments for unlucky couples desperate to conceive. Very sad the government will pay for death, but not life

• Melissa
    June 21, 2010 - 20:29

For everything abortion wise that is not deemed medically necessary my advice to you would be a)birth control b)don't play with fire if you don't want to get burnt! We live in an adult world people, its time to take responsiblity for your actions if you can't look after a baby you shouldn't be trying to make one! Birth Control .. Birth Control... can i say it enough! I feel bad for the poor babies that don't have a say in this world though and end up suffering because of poor decisions & actions.. give me a call.. i'll raise your unwanted babies

• cruxoftheissue
    June 21, 2010 - 20:28

to What if? You don't have to believe in the bible or any specific ideology really to make an effort to be a decent human being. Any adult knows that there is a HUGE difference between something being LEGAL and something being Ethically responsible or morally repugnant. Once upon a time it was LEGAL to beat your wife and kids as long as you did so with a stick no larger than the diameter of your thumb (rule of thumb) and for most of recorded history it has been LEGAL to own a SLAVE. So, if you have a perspective on why elective abortion should be your business and your business only, please enlighten the rest of us. And please don't give me the tired it's my body...I can do what I want line--unless of course you also endorse prostitution, and IV drug use. Please think before you post and try to be objective.

• Come to think of it
    June 21, 2010 - 20:26

There are a lot of 'services' provided by governments, both provincial and federal, for other provinces that PEI doesn't offer its people. Some of the medical ones are listed above. We also have to leave the province to get a passport. Oh the pain of it all. Abortion? Personal choice of the woman who failed to use birth control in MOST cases, which I see as neglect or stupidity on the part of the poor soul. The extra little trip across the bridge isn't a heck of a lot more tedious than a shopping trip to Moncton or Halifax, although I know the emotional trauma nd guilt are great. I believe in a woman's right to chose. I chose life. But that is where I end it. I am not and will never be a preacher for either side. I have the right to make MY choice and that is what matters. If I have to have a friend drive me over the bridge, so be it. We need doctors and office space and clinics to treat people who are sick, not for elective surgeries. Let's put the same money into treating infertility as we do abortion and then everyone should be able to keep their mouths shut.

• y
    June 21, 2010 - 20:24

Totally agree.......
    As for abortions on PEI: if we suffer a head injury, we need to go to Moncton Hospital. If we need a heart operation we need to go to the QE2 in Halifax. If a child is seriously ill, they need to go to the IWK. Are abortions really a priority?

We dont need that kind of thing here at all!!!!

• confused
    June 21, 2010 - 20:23

to K from Summerside, are you seriously suggesting that Christians do not have the right to free speech ? You say to keep my views to myself, you are certainly airing yours.

• what
    June 21, 2010 - 20:18

oh lordy people. what are you guys talkin about?..started with an abortion clinic and now your goin on about God. Personally i think anyone who has an abortion is really sick and they need help. Some of yas goin on about rights, well there goes human rights. That is a baby growing inside. There are certain circumstances where i think it should be the choice but for any girl to just open her legs and get pregnant, she should have no right at all. And why should she???? She knows what can happen if ya get pregnant. so then its like so what????? and the gov't paying for it???? that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. Totally agree with u Ron, what about all those sick kids, parents making lots of trips back and forth. You get pregnant, deal with the consequences. Same as anything. And you people goin wa wa about pei getting with the times?..whats up with that?..get with the times of killing precious little babies..come on people...u should read ur comments over and realize how stupid u sound for even saying something like that....geeez.

• cruxoftheissue
    June 21, 2010 - 20:16

Eric from PEI: REALLY? I did not know that, and that is quite shocking to me. I thought that the current practice of No Elective Abortions after the first trimester was in fact, still law. Thanks for the update.
    This does however beg the question: why then as a society, are elective 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions unacceptable, when those in the first trimester are approved?
    And now we are back to the CRUX of my original post. I would very much like people to think objectively about the issue, rather than pollute the debate with their own personal sympathies. The Mother's situation really has no fundemental bearing on the status of whether or not IT is alive, in my view. Even the fact that we refer to women as the Mother even in cases of early abortion, says a great deal of where the heart of popular unconscious morality resides. How we go from that paradigm to widespread support for elective abortion is where I get confused. I can't see how we can move from the first pretense of Mother and baby to elective abortion without removing baby from the equation. This we currently do (at least for the first 12 weeks)--but what I am asking, is, are we correct in doing so? Or are we rather sacrificing our ethics for convenience in the face of admittedly difficult and unpleasant adversity? Society is not kind to the results of unwanted pregancies. But if we are to terminate them simply because we do not want the societal burden of unwanted children (some would argue that this is a certainly legitimate reason), then why the deception? Why not just admit what we are doing and get on with it? Why deny that the baby is a baby is a baby?
    Or, maybe IT really IS an IT until 12 weeks and one day. I would truly, truly hate to be the one to make that call.
    Anyway, all banter aside, we simply have to decide when LIFE begins, if we want to solve this issue ethically, although practically speaking it is unlikely to deter the untimely end of many unwanted pregnacies. When it comes to the average human being doing what is ethically responsible for the sake of ethical responsibility itself, I remain inherently skeptical.

• Anonymous
    June 21, 2010 - 20:14

By reading some of the comments above, you'd swear that we are still living in the Middle Ages...with all that talk about Hell, and God's judgment and pagans...Time to forward to 2008 !

• Ron
    June 21, 2010 - 20:14

Maybe Ann Wheatley should ask her hero, Henry Morgantaler, why he has not pushed for an abortion clinic here. He is suing the New Brunswick which already has his clinic...I have a sneaking suspicion Morgantaler is more about money than women's rights.

• K
    June 21, 2010 - 20:13

What I'm saying is...don't preach it, nor should anyone us it to threaten someone about going to hell .

• Don't believe the hype
    June 21, 2010 - 20:13

WOW, has this debate ever sunk into the toilet, with name calling and even one poster suggestting another should have been aborted. Try to show a little civility folks. Some things to keep in mind from the story:

1) For the Province to pay for an abortion, it requires refferals from 2 seperate doctors. If a doctor is reffering the woman, it is considered medical, not electable surgery. If a woman wants an abortion outside of that, they pay for it themselves, same as women in other parts of Canada.

2) Access for abortion on PEI is the same as access for open heart bipass surgery. You have to go to the mainland. As far as a private clinic goes, why should the Province pay to open one here. If a clinic wants to locate here, let them pay for it themselves.

3) Though not part of the story, people opposed to abortion should keep God out of their arguements. There are valid arguements both ways without bring up religion. This country guarantees freedom of religion. While it may be a valid reason for 'YOU' not to agree with abortion, you do not have the right to force your religious beliefs on anyone else.

As I stated in a previous post, I do not agree that abortion should be used as just another form of birth control. Other do, and they are entitled to their opinion. I am all for debate, but it should be debate, and not name calling and threats. And as far as Morgentaler getting the Order of Canada, I would not have awarded him the Order for his stance on abortions. However, his willingness to stand up for something he believes, whether you agree with it or not, and to fight it through the court system, when as a medical doctor, he could have had a very easy life towing the status quo, is certianly commendable. And I would argue that that angle makes him at least as deserving as many of the people in there, even if I do not share his view.

• Let's be
    June 21, 2010 - 20:13

I wonder it it would be helpful for people to quantify their personal opinions with in my opinion . For instance, I think abortion is wrong...for me or I do not think abortions are wrong...for me .

Like many other things, abortion is not a black and white topic. Each circumstance is different and needs to be looked at through the eyes of the person/people involved. Why people feel the need to condemn others rather than support others is beyond me!! Judging from the outside looking in changes nothing...and it certainly won't reduce the number of abortions being performed. Why not spend the time and effort advocating for free birth control.

• real
    June 21, 2010 - 20:12

why can a woman abort and a man has no say its half his kid is it not but if she chooses to keep the child he has to pay support dosent seem quite fair or equal the man should have a say in this matter i think

• They
    June 21, 2010 - 20:11

Has anyone, ever heard Freedom of Choice.

You, and no one else, is going to dictate, what I am going to do with my body or my person.

Some of the crazy's in here, should join up, for the fanatic religions groups in the United States.

I wonder, how many of you, who are so against abotion, also hate gay people.
    That would be an interesting survey.

• Freddy
    June 21, 2010 - 20:11

TO Thankfully: You are perfectly right~ God cares, God sees all, and God judges. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!!!!!!! Maybe you're the one who should be careful...I doubt God likes people who try to do his job!

If we are funding 50 abortions per year (and then there are those paying out of their own pocket as well), maybe we need to consider putting some money into free birth control. Rather than being known as the province without abortion services, lets be known as the province who makes an attempt to prevent unwanted pregnancies! I am very much pro-choice, but also recognize that an abortion can be a very emotional and difficult thing to go through~through education and support we may be able to be very pro-active in this area.

• Not Our Decision
    June 21, 2010 - 20:10

Life at any stage, is not ours to take.
    Our creator never gave any of you the right to take anyones life (little lone a defenceless infant.) Those of you who mentioned that abortions for a medically necessary reason are very, very, few are absolutely right. A pathetic answer for someone to cover up an error in judgement is much more likely the case and 2 wrongs do not make a right. It's not a right it is a wrong!

• Not quite
    June 21, 2010 - 20:07

To Not our choice in Cornwall ...Just curious. How does it require more faith to believe in evolution than in Christianity? Not arguing but I'm not sure I understand...

• just becuase its legal
    June 21, 2010 - 20:07

What if you pro-abortionists are wrong - what if, just saying if there is a God? WHat if it is murder? WHat if?? Just because you choose not to believe it, doesnt make it any less real. Tearing apart a baby from limb to limb (that in itself is so sick I can hardly type the words) and taking its life - what gives YOU the right to take life?? Just a thought! You dont have to agree with it, but think about it. What if you're wrong?

• Ann
    June 21, 2010 - 20:06

The availability of abortion on PEI should be a non-issue. As stated above, there are many medical procedures that are not available on PEI due to our small population. I think that if our taxpaying dollars are being used to fund an elective procedure(in the majority of cases) such as abortion, we should also be funding infertility and adoption for the people who would like to have a child.

• John
    June 21, 2010 - 20:06

Thankfully. Zealots like you scare the heck out of me. If there is a God , did he , she , or it give you the right to speak for
    him , her , or it?

• MR Taser Sucks
    June 21, 2010 - 20:06

Medical reasons then yes,
    Victim reasons then yes,
    Forgot the rubbers, adoption,
    Bad genetic diease found early on the could be extremely painfull for the child or shorten the childs life span to where there is no quality of life let alone life then yes, if that is your choice.

• Don
    June 21, 2010 - 20:05

....and we move another step closer to Aldous Huxley's nightmare.

BRAVE NEW WORLD indeed.

• Don't believe the hype
    June 21, 2010 - 20:04

Not going to advocate for one side of the other on this issue. Am on the fence myself. On oneside, I don't believe I have the right to say what other should do with their bodies. And I do support abortion for medical reasons, to protect the life of the mother, or in cases of rape, Sexual assault, incest, ect.

That being said I do have trouble with the idea of abortion as just another form of birth control. There certianly are a lot of healthier and less envasive options out there. And as a man, I find it extreamely offensive when someone make the comment that birth control is the responsibility of the woman, or that the abortion is due to the woman failing to use birth control. It takes two to tango, and BOTH share responsibility to protect against unwanted pregnancy. While there are a lot of deadbeat parents out there, there does seem to be an incredible amount of deadbeat dads on PEI. If you're man enough to create life, you should be man enough to step up to the plate and look after it. If not, glove up and don't be expecting the woman to just go get an abortion because the two of you were irresponsible.

As to whether or not abortions need to be preformed on the island, we can not get enough medical personell now. It is not the only medical procedure you have to travel for. And if one looks, there are services which will also help with the cost of transportation.

• Right on
    June 21, 2010 - 20:04

I agree 100%. We have to go across for other services........what's the difference.

• Sarah
    June 21, 2010 - 20:02

Ambrose from Ottawa ON: You obviously didn't read my post. Unfortunately sometimes it IS a medical necessity. I would dearly have loved to have carried my second child to full term, unfortunately for my family it was not feasible without the potential loss of life for both myself and the fetus.

Glad to see so much support from other people on the web. It's a pleasant surprise from little ole' PEI.

• Eric
    June 21, 2010 - 20:02

cruxoftheissue- Just a coorection to your previous comment: 'People need to remember, that we DO regulate abortions already--Women are NOT currently FREE to abort fetuses that have reached a certain level of development'

This is false. After the Supreme court struck down abortion laws in 1988, no politician has had the guts for introduce any abortion regulations, thus Canada has been without any abortion law whatsoever for 20 years. Technically, it is not against the law in Canada to abort a baby a minute before it is to be delivered. I beleive it is left up to each abortion doctor to draw his or her own ethical line of when they will not abort the baby

• jimbo
    June 21, 2010 - 20:01

PEI's policy on this is one of the things that makes me proud to be an Islander.

No amount of self serving nonsensical logic will ever make it right to end a pregnancy through abortion.

Deep in everyones heart they know the truth and I feel sorry for those who have bought into the big lie and then have to deal with the reality of what they have done later in their lives when they are thinking clearly.

I

• MR Taser Sucks
    June 21, 2010 - 20:00

To reply to the world is going to end in 2012. I have a prediction of my own. The aliens are going to come back to earth and demand that we hand back their crystal skulls that they gave to The Maya. A Mayian that has been frozen in time since the doomsday calander was created with be thawed and will break into hysterical laughter, HAHAHAHA it was just a Mayian prank.

• MR Taser Sucks
    June 21, 2010 - 19:59

I don't think god loves Hitler, or serial killers. Just a joke on last line of Neutral's comment :/

• cruxoftheissue
    June 21, 2010 - 19:59

Either abortion is always murder, or it is never murder. You can't have it both ways.
    To answer that question, one only has to decide at what moment, does LIFE begin: at conception? Or does life begin 12 weeks later, after the first trimester?
    People need to remember, that we DO regulate abortions already--Women are NOT currently FREE to abort fetuses that have reached a certain level of development....medical professionals decided that date, but the decision was by no means unanimous. Even doctors can not agree on the EXACT moment that a glob of developing tissues instantaneously morphs into a human being. Do YOU know when that second is? I don't. NOW it's a glob. NOW it's a baby. Tough call, hate to get it wrong.
    Some added perspective:
    Go ask a happy expectant parent, 10 days late and overjoyed that the pregnancy stick she just peed on turned YES--SHE will tell you that she is having a BABY, not a glob, but a BABY. She will be grinning from ear to ear, and will be thinking already about names.
    Now, go ask a confused teenager, worried about being grounded for life if anyone finds out, and she will tell you to get rid of IT , likely in tears. Poor kid.
    So, intrinsically speaking....is IT (the glob of tissue or the baby) really an IT? Or is it a BABY? Why does the label depend on the mother's state of mind at the time? SHOULD it depend on the mother's circumstances? Is that reasonable? Is that ethical?
    The reason this issue is clouded is because we allow the perspectives of other individuals to rule the day. Either a baby is a baby is a baby, ALL BABIES, wanted or not...or they are ALL OF THEM, not babies...they are all ITS until the 2nd trimester when legislation says that they are now babies.
    If people could just see past the end of their own noses on this issue, we could set aside the socio-economic status and individual circumstances of the mother and simply LOOK at this issue of: Is it a baby or is it not a baby, more independantly. This is what needs to be done and we as a civilized society, really should get on it.
    Think about that for a while, it's important.

• Sarah
    June 21, 2010 - 19:58

This is one comment that I can support 100%.

Wish there was more folks out there like you Freddy.

• confused
    June 21, 2010 - 19:57

I commented before that it is not possible for church and government to be separate. So long as there are Christians in political positions, this will remain true. A lot of commentators are proving me right today. You cannot debate a subject without bringing the Christian religion into it. The abortion issue may have Christians marching in the pro-life parade, yes. However, there are many others marching there as well. At its core, this issue is one of law, not religion. Do you all believe that there aren't any Christians on the pro-choice side of this issue. Christianity is a choice, same as abortiion. You want me to take your choice seriously, well, how about taking mine just as seriously. For those women that want an abortion, that is their choice, not mine to make. For those that practice the Christian religion, that is our choice, not yours to make

• Neutral
    June 21, 2010 - 19:55

So here is how I see it..... *I'm sure I'll be scalded for this as well!!* In my opinion if you don't think that it is your time to be a parent, and you conceive, then the only 2 options would be to abort or to have it and give it up for adoption. But lets weigh the pros and cons for that...... Being a friend to a girl who had an abortion, you aparently feel pain...and it is not so pleasent, however you may or may not feel like you have done the right thing afterwords. If you carry the baby for the full term (Which by the way I have 2 beautiful children) you become attached to it and giving it up for adoption would mess with your head for the rest of your life. In other words, I think that before you become attached to it and start Nesting as my mother calls it, thinking about abortion may be the best solution. There are SOOO many different cases with many different people who actually need this form of operation done. Is it a nessecity? Perhaps not to some, but if two or more doctors say it's an extreme risk to mommy if she was to keep it then things start coming into play. There should be a clinic here if the govmnt if willing to fund up to 50 off island a year. As for the people who have gone for an abortion more than 3 times all I can say to you is P*SS OFF AND TAKE SOME BIRTHCONTROL.... or close those legs of yours!

And BTW....... God will love anyone unconditionally no matter what he or she does!

• Ron
    June 21, 2010 - 19:54

Hey They want my money -
    'I wonder, how many of you, who are so against abotion, also hate gay people. '

I am against abortion and also fully supportive of gay people and their right to get married.

• John MacDonald
    June 21, 2010 - 19:54

TO THANKFULLY, PLEASE POST YOUR RHETORIC ELSEWHERE.........Abortion is legal in Canada and women on PEI should have the right to have an abortion in their home province.

• WOW
    June 21, 2010 - 19:54

I just have to say I didn't know men could get pregnant after a rape. Maybe you can explain to us how this happened Mr. Ninja Tiger.

• Morgentaler
    June 21, 2010 - 19:53

The tolerance of Canadians has really shown through with some of these comments. If someone does not believe exactly the same as you do (i.e. getting an abortion), then burn them at the stake. Many kudos for the Order of Canada for the doctor. He is very deserving of such an honor, unlike many others, like Wade MacLauchlin.

• Sarah
    June 21, 2010 - 19:49

This article will no doubt bring on great debate re: abortion. May I say as a woman who was extremely excited to find out she was pregnant at 5 weeks, only to have her Dr. tell her at 7 that the pregnancy was too risky to her health to continue, I am sympathetic to all that must travel to get help.

To all that will judge and say that the baby should always come first: I'd leave that to you to explain to my 3 year old when he asks what happened to his Mum.

To all that need help: All the best and God bless. (That's right, despite what critics will say God still loves you.)

• frank
    June 21, 2010 - 19:48

It's shameful that abortion services are not available on PEI, or that the government will not fund abortions at a private clinic. If they are going to make you go off Island for the treatment, you should at least get to pick the most convenient location to get the abortion.

And to the person who commented that Morgentaler is in this for the money. That is absolutely ridiculous. The guy spent 10 months in jail for performing abortions and had to take his case all the way to the Supreme Court. That would have cost quite a bit of money. He's also had many death threats throughout his life, so I hardly think he was in this for the money. If he was in it for the money, he could have done plastic surgery or something much easier and less controversial. So please stop with that tired argument.

And while some people believe God will judge those who get abortions, that's fine. As long as you admit you are a sinner, you'll get to heaven, whether you have had an abortion, or committed murder. So again, stop with the ridiculous comments of some type of wrath from God.

• God is my judge
    June 21, 2010 - 19:44

It's amazing how christians throw the word Pagan around like they know what it means.

God gave me a mind, I will use it and be judged by God alone, not by those who use his name to try to control others.

• What if?
    June 21, 2010 - 19:44

To Wow...What if I don't believe in the Bible? Exodus and Ezekiel mean squat to me. Abortion does not equal murder in the eyes of the law. If you don't want one, good for you. If I do, that's my business.

• All for CHOICE
    June 21, 2010 - 19:44

I believe in a God. I was raised Catholic and when asked, that is the religion I state. I do not attend church on a regular basis but do like to attend periodically. I believe women have a right to choose does that mean I can't believe in a God? Because I do not follow the word of the lord, what is written in the book, does that mean I am going to hell? I really don't think so. I am happy to choose whether or not cells grow inside me forming an eventual child... and still believe that I will be happy when I die.

• Nuclear Power & Abortion
    June 21, 2010 - 19:43

This refusal to allow abortions on PEI is a lot like senior Ghizs decision not to buy nuclear power from NB(I know, no one knows how they are supposed to sort electricity). Saying abortion is legal, we will pay for it, but we will not allow it in our back yard is as close as one can come to avoiding the issues. It is sad for those women who need to have one and must travel to do so.

• Larry
    June 21, 2010 - 19:43

Those citing religion should read an unbiased book about the history of civilization, you might be surprised what you find out about your religion and conversion. I agree with comments regarding not in my backyard. We pay for someone to go off Island, placing barriers by needing 2 referrals. We need to provide equal access to Island women the same as the rest of Canada. We should not be using religion to take away the right of women to choose what they do to their own body. As for all you right wing loons, spew your religious rhetoric elsewhere. As for this Liberal government, too weak to make decisions on pesticides, industrial agriculture, health care up west, abortions, an energy policy that benefits Islanders, etc. The only difference between this government and the Tories, is that this government will have its grassroots turn on them and will get one term.

• Anonymous
    June 21, 2010 - 19:42

I have one word for this : RETROGRADE !!!!! Abortions are performed all over Canada...It's time for PEI to follow...But no politician will ever have the courage to do it, either red or blue...I guess the patriarcal status quo is better...Make women pay for everything !!!

• Caring
    June 21, 2010 - 19:40

Canned pop and Sunday shopping took 20 plus years to figure out in the locally accepted twisted corrupt world that is Island small minded politics..

You honestly think Jr Ghiz who lost sleep and hearlded studies on canned carbonated soft drinks will show some leadership and actually make a decision on abortion to obey the law?

Hopefully an Island women will find the 'gonads' to sue the province for expenses to travel off Island to get this medical procedure done.

• pei
    June 21, 2010 - 19:39

It's called BIRTH CONTROL if you don't want a kid don't have sex and if you do have sex and get pregnant well there are alot of couples out there that can't have kids and would love to raise yours if you decided you don't want it. I have been there I ended up pregnant after a rape and i could have had an abortion and believe me i thought about it but i decided to give the child to a couple that would could raise it and love it. Yes we shouldn't judge and i am not here to judge anybody and if your life is at risk then yes the pregnancy should be terminated as it a medical condition but i don't think we should pay for an abortion because someone decided to take the chance and then decided they didn't want a kid well you should have thought of the consequences before having sex.
    birth control is not that expensive what does a box of condoms cost 15 dollars maybe plus they protect you from sexually transmitted diases.

• K
    June 21, 2010 - 19:38

I'm so sick of all this god b/s. Guess what folks, if someone doesn't believe in god, or heave and hell. Your little threats don't mean jack. You all need to get over it and start to realize we as woman can do whatever we want. I'm in no way saying abortion is right or wrong because to be honest I've never been put in a situation where I would need to make a decision like that. Come to think of it, the majority of you posting here probably havn't. Anyway, the God comments have GOT TO STOP!

• Captain
    June 21, 2010 - 19:36

Someone else's body growing in your body...is not YOUR BODY. Go ahead kill em all, though. Wouldn't want another human being growing inside your womb to get in the way of your life's progress.

• k
    June 21, 2010 - 19:35

Oh, please. I never said there was or wasn't a god. I don't believe ONE man created the world. Impossible! There are other theories on how the world was created and we should not all be single minded. Anyways, I'm not about to start preaching. Keep your religious views to yourself, because in the year 2008 not everyone does the religious thing anymore.

• D
    June 21, 2010 - 19:34

How about using a CONDOM or being more sexual responsible. I DONT have any babies and when I decide to I will have one. WHY should my tax dollars fund a ridiculous form of birth control. Thats all abortions are anyway!

• wow..
    June 21, 2010 - 19:34

abortion is murder. Plain and simple.

I dont want my tax money going to pay for murders..

Dont want the baby? Put the baby up for adoption so someone who does want one can finally have one.. problem solved..

• Devon
      November 10, 2011 - 07:50

People should have the choice to have a baby or not. Protection against unwanted pregnancies does not always work 100%. No one should be telling a woman to carry a baby to term if she does not want to or make it more difficult for Island women over other women in Canada to choose abortion because people are afraid to make a political decision on their behalf.. Abortion is not a fun process for any woman to undertake and they do take it seriously when all other options seem torturous for them. . . . Its not the dark ages and women should have basic rights over their bodies in 2011. People should know by now that it is a very important job to be a parent and to give your child the life they deserve. Not everyone is ready to do so. When we rid ourselves of poverty, abusive relationships/ households, and offer free post secondary education to our youth then maybe we can lord over an individual's right to choose.