VIDEO: Sheepdogs, Serena Ryder, Buffy Sainte-Marie among 2014 concerts

P.E.I. 2014 Inc. announces lineup of concert series headliners for Sesquicentennial summer

The P.E.I. 2014 Celebration Zone will host a summer-long concert series featuring some of the best known names in Canadian music.

P.E.I. 2014 Inc. announced the lineup of artists to take the Atlantic Lottery/Red Shores main stage at Confederation Landing in Charlottetown for the free concert series this summer.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LIST OF ARTISTS AND DATES

In 2014, Canadians are marking the 150th anniversary (Sesquicentennial) of the historic 1864 Charlottetown Conference, which led the way to the creation of Canada.

"Prince Edward Island is proud to be the birthplace of our great nation, Canada, and this summer the P.E.I. 2014 Celebration Zone concert series will showcase the best musical talent our country has to offer," said Egmont MP Gail Shea in a news release. "Although we are Canada's smallest province, to celebrate 150 years of the Charlottetown Conference, the P.E.I. 2014 Celebration Zone will host the country's biggest and best outdoor kitchen party."

Headliners of the P.E.I. 2014 Celebration Zone concert series include: Canadian rock legend, Burton Cummings; multiple Juno Award-winner, Serena Ryder; multi-platinum selling rocker, Matthew Good; critically acclaimed country music star, Paul Brandt; iconic singer-songwriter, Buffy Sainte-Marie; East Coast powerhouse, Matt Andersen & The Mellotones; fan favourite rockers, The Sheepdogs; iconic Acadian band, 1755; fiddling sensation, Natalie MacMaster, and Cape Breton music icons, the Barra MacNeils.

All programming at the P.E.I. 2014 Celebration Zone is free. Those wishing to attend the concert series can reserve individual tickets through a no-charge reservation system. Details of the reservation system will be announced at a later date.

Further programming details and a full schedule of the PEI 2014 Celebration Zone will be revealed in the coming weeks. Visit www.pei2014.ca/celebrationzone for more details.

More to come later online and in Saturday's print and e-editions of The Guardian

Organizations: PEI 2014 Celebration Zone Concert Series, Atlantic Lottery/Red Shores Main Stage, Confederation Landing Islanders Atlantic Lottery Patricia Devine Communications Director

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Canada, Prince Edward Island East Coast Cape Breton

Comments

Comments

• Doug Johnson
    May 11, 2014 - 18:44

Add my name to the growing list if Islanders who want to have Jan Arden here for the 2014 celebration.

• The Observer from Stratford
    May 03, 2014 - 16:09

Quick quiz. Where will the Big Red Festival be held? Where will the Canada Day Celebrations be held? Where will Shania Twain night be held? Where will Natalie McMaster perform? Where will Buffy ....? I think you all get my point. It seems this summer we're all going to need a day by day guide to make sure we go to the right place to see our favourite artists. Both sites, the Charlottetown Event Grounds and he so-called Celebration Zone better have signs posted to direct people to the other site. Can you bring lawn chairs? How about your own water? The two sites have different policies/no policies on these matters. More confusion for the audience. Aren't all these events under the auspices the 2014 folks?

• Jon
      May 04, 2014 - 13:33

Sounds like someone's excited for a great summer! I'm sure all your questions will be answered...if not, the two sites are a 10 minute walk apart and you will be able to see all the concerts you mentioned.

• elsmeralda
    May 03, 2014 - 07:53

that is the end of enjoying a PEACEFUL summer's evening by the water in the park. 70 days of mayhem, - aid for by me tax money. Why are they not using 'the venue' we have pumped and still are, by the looks of, millions of dollars into ---

• city taxpayer
    May 02, 2014 - 19:43

As a taxpayer of this city, I sincerely hope that one of our municipal public parks - CONFEDERATION LANDING PARK - is 100% open to the public 24/7 this summer with no restrictions whatsoever. It irks me to see access blocked to public recreational land paid for by me and my neighbours. I could care less about this 2014 B-S. Keep the parks open.

• also a taxpayer
      May 03, 2014 - 07:50

I'm also a taxpayer. I am pleased that my city holds festivals and events from time to time throughout the year, as all cities do. I also acknowledge that any given activity may or may not interest me, and its presence could disrupt my normal routine for a short period of time. I accept that is part of city life, and know that I am free to go to alternate public recreational areas.

• Hashtag Hag
    May 02, 2014 - 19:20

A much better announcement then their attempt to hash tag on twitter #‎whosyourfather‬. I get the idea of it, I don't find it clever or amusing. It is about as clever as sticking rotten bails of hay in the middle of the City and calling it art. #youdontimpressmemuch