Jonathan Hicken of Brudenell continued his hot streak on the Parts for Trucks Pro Stock Tour on Saturday night.
Hicken, coming off back-to-back wins in the Irving Oil 150 at Petty Raceway near Moncton and the Canada Day 150 at Oyster Bed Speedway, finished second in the IWK 250 at Riverside International Speedway in Antigonish, N.S. Cassius Clark of Farmington, Maine, won the IWK 250 and took home the prestigious John W. Chisholm Memorial Cup.
Craig Slaunwhite of Terence Bay, N.S., battled Hicken for the final laps and finished third. Donald Chisholm of Antigonish, N.S., came in fourth.
Chisholm piloted the No. 88 with a 1971 Holman and Moody Mustang Boss 302 throwback paint scheme in memory of his father, John Chisholm. Dylan Blenkhorn of Truro, N.S., completed the top five and was the final car that finished on the lead lap.
Clark’s win at the IWK 250, presented by Steve Lewis, gives Clark the distinction of becoming the first driver to ever win all three Maritime 250-lap events, which also include the Toromont Cat 250 and the Speedway 660 Pro Stock 250.
Other P.E.I. drivers were Dylan Gosbee of Cornwall (seventh), Darren MacKinnon of Charlottetown (16th), Kent Vincent of Crapaud (18th), Chris Hughes of Brackley Beach (20th), Terry Dougay of Albany (28th), Robbie MacEwen of Charlottetown (29th) and Greg Proude of Springvale (31st).
Competition got underway with five Atlantic Tiltload heat races for the 34 competitors vying to make the 32-car field. Chisholm, Gosbee, Proude, Hughes and Ashton Tucker of Mirimachi, N.B., won the heat races. Josh Collins of Placentia, N.L., won the Atlantic Tiltload B feature.
Twenty cars qualified for the prestigious event via heat races. Cars that did not qualify through heats then competed in a 25-lap last-chance race, with the top two securing their positions on the starting grid. The remaining 10 positions were determined by provisionals as set in the event procedures.
Tucker was the Exide Batteries rookie of the race while Kyle Reid of Fort MacMurray, Alta., won the Kenny U-Pull Hard Charger award. Clark paced the field for 209 circuits earning him the award for most laps led.
NASCAR legend Kenny Wallace of St. Louis, Missouri, finished ninth. The stacked field included drivers from five provinces and two states.
The Parts for Trucks Pro Stock Tour is off next weekend but returns to Oyster Bed Speedway on Aug. 3 for the Lucas Oil 150. Visit www.maritimeprostocktour.com for complete event details and coverage.
Results from Saturday’s IWK 250 at Riverside International Speedway near Antigonish, N.S. It was Race 7 of the 12-race Parts for Trucks Pro Stock Tour.
Driver Laps Hometown
1. Cassius Clark 250 Farmington, Me.
2. Jonathan Hicken 250 Brudenell.
3. Craig Slaunwhite 250 Terence Bay, N.S.
4. Donald Chisholm 250 Antigonish, N.S.
5. Dylan Blenkhorn 250 Truro, N.S.
6. Kyle Reid 249 Fort MacMurray, Alta.
7. Dylan Gosbee 249 Cornwall.
8. Waylon Farrell 249 Conception Bay South, N.L.
9. Kenny Wallace 249 St. Louis, Mo.
10. Lonnie Sommerville 249 Barnesville, N.B.
11. Cole Butcher 248 Porter's Lake, N.S.
12. Ashton Tucker 248 Miramichi, N.B.
13. Shawn Tucker 248 Fredericton, N.B.
14. Jarrett Butcher 248 Porter's Lake, N.S.
15. Shawn Turple 248 Enfield, N.S.
16. Darren MacKinnon 247 Charlottetown.
17. Greg Fahey 245 St. Stephen, N.B.
18. Kent Vincent 244 Crapaud.
19. Sarah McKay 240 Quispamsis, N.B.
20. Chris Hughes 239 Brackley Beach.
21. Chris Reid 228 Fort MacMurray, Alta.
22. Russell Smith Jr. 214 Lakeside, N.S.
23. Shawn Pierce 199 Blockhouse, N.S.
24. Craig Ward 186 Riverview, N.B.
25. Nicholas Naugle 170 Dartmouth, N.S.
26. Josh Collins 150 Placentia, N.L.
27. Marty Prevost 126 Fall River, N.S.
28. Terry Dougay 94 Albany.
29. Robbie MacEwen 92 Charlottetown
30. Brandon McFarlane 63 Torbay, N.L.
31. Greg Proude 45 Springvale.
32. John Flemming 34 Halifax, N.S.
33. Harry Ross White DNQ Kennetcook, N.S.
34. Nevin Scott DNQ Clyde River.
Margin of victory – 0.968.
Number of cautions – Four.
Lead changes – Two.
Atlantic Tiltload heat winners – Donald Chisholm, Dylan Gosbee, Greg Proude, Ashton Tucker and Chris Hughes.
Most laps led – Cassius Clark.
Kenny U-Pull Elmsdale hard charger – Kyle Reid.
Exide Batteries rookie of the race – Ashton Tucker.
B feature winner – Josh Collins.
Next race – Lucas Oil 150 at Oyster Bed Speedway on Aug. 3 at 6 p.m.