Belle is Now Atlantic’s resident illustrator and is the light-hearted artist behind the artwork you see each month in print and online. Belle seeks out and finds a different cover artist to feature each month, to be sure we’re highlighting creative talent from across the region.
Q&A with Belle
1. What’s your earliest creative memory?
I used to trade drawings for those tiny erasers everyone collected! And I loved looking through my mom’s sketch book when I was little. That was probably what really got me into drawing.
2. How did you get started as an illustrator?
It probably really got going when I illustrated the book I made with my dad,The Little Tree by the Sea. Before that I had been doing lots of work for myself but none of it was professional illustration work.
3. What's a necessary part of your creative process, something your inspiration can’t live without?
I’d say the biggest part of my process is having the ability to be playful. I don’t feel the need to produce super serious art to get the point across. I think you can have fun with the viewer while still saying what you need to say.
4. What makes you proud to say you live in Atlantic Canada?
It’s so beautiful here!!
5. What do you look for in the artists and illustrators you team up with for NOW?
Someone who loves art and this province as much as we do!
6. How might someone reading this know if they’re a good fit?
]If you think you might be a fit, then you probably are. We want different styles so don’t be scared off if your art doesn’t look like the other covers. The best way to find out is to contact me. I love meeting other artists!
7. What’s one social or environmental issue you’d like to see get more attention?
There is so much to pick from but of course single use plastic is an easy daily thing to changed.
8. What’s your favourite way to relax and recharge?
Making crafts in my room! I <3 glitter!
If you want to team up with Belle and help make the thought-provoking pages of Now Atlantic beautiful, reach out to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.