MONTAGUE, P.E.I. - A fire in the basement of a six-unit townhouse in Montague Tuesday briefly forced more than a dozen tenants from the complex.
Tenants from four units located at 378 Campbell Ave. were allowed back home once the fire was out and smoke was ventilated from the two-storey building.
The Montague Volunteer Fire Department received the call at 1:12 p.m. Montague fire chief Tom MacLeod, who was at the scene, said they are unsure of the cause of the fire, but the provincial fire marshal is investigating.
“The damage was limited pretty well to one unit. A second unit had some smoke damage, but I think it’s going to be all right,” he said.
Canadian Red Cross volunteers have arranged emergency lodging, food and other help for a couple from one unit.
Another couple with an infant who were displaced are staying with a relative for now, but Red Cross volunteers will help if the family is able to return to their home, said Dan Bedell Atlantic communications director for the Canadian Red Cross.
There were no injuries reported, and when the fire department arrived, the fire fighters were able to quickly put out the fire.
As for the condition of the unit where the fire broke out, MacLeod doesn’t know when the couple will be able to return home.
“I’d say it would be a while. The damage to their unit is fairly extensive but repairable.”