Constabulary's internal investigation into the 2018 shooting of Jordan McKay is concluded, but won’t be released publicly; an investigation by OPP is ongoing
CORNER BROOK — The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) officer who shot and fatally wounded Jorden McKay in Corner Brook almost two years ago is back on duty.
On Tuesday, RNC Chief Joe Boland issued a statement in response to a media inquiry into the status of two investigations — one internal and the other by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) — launched after McKay’s death on Nov. 27, 2018.
The RNC had gone to McKay’s Sunnyslope-area home that day at 11:30 p.m. After the shooting, police said there was a confrontation that led to McKay being shot.
McKay, 27, was known to police and had a criminal record.
“I am satisfied based on the results of the RNC internal investigation that it is appropriate at this time for the officers involved in the case to begin a reintegration program with the RNC." — RNC Chief Joe Boland
In the statement, Boland said the internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding McKay’s death and the actions of the officers involved had been completed. The results of that investigation won’t be released publicly.
He said the OPP investigation overseen by this province’s Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT-NL) remains ongoing, but it is anticipated it will be concluded within six months.
“I am satisfied based on the results of the RNC internal investigation that it is appropriate at this time for the officers involved in the case to begin a reintegration program with the RNC,” Boland stated.
Boland would not do an interview on the matter, and instead media relations officer Const. Michael Hoddinott told SaltWire Network via email that the officer who fired the shot that killed McKay is working in St. John’s.
Hoddinott said the reintegration process referred to by Boland is engaged for officers who have been on extended leave from operational duties.
“It involves a medical assessment, use-of-force requalification, training and coach officer oversight as necessary, depending on the length of time away from duties, years of service and the circumstances surrounding the leave.”
Sgt. Kerry Schmidt, the OPP’s interim manager of corporate communications, said the Ontario police force’s initial investigation into the McKay shooting has been completed and is being reviewed by SIRT-NL.
“We are still following up on one recommendation that was sent back to us for follow-up,” said Schmidt.
He said that is being worked on and the final report, once completed, will be reviewed by the OPP and then provided to the province’s deputy minister of Justice and Public Safety.
Schmidt didn’t have a timeline on when that would happen.