As yesterday’s Daily Playlist pointed out, it’s been a tough few weeks for music lovers, and afterward I got a comment on Facebook that I should do an “anti-grump” set of songs to help chase these universal blues away. That remark made me think about some vintage mix tapes and current playlists where the theme isn’t so concrete, you just let your mind wander and have one song flow directly into the next stream-of-consciousness style.
So starting with the most anti-grump song I could think of, Pharrell Williams’ Happy, I jumped to Gwen Stefani’s Hollaback Girl to Reeny Smith’s Good Girl Swag and so on, bringing it full circle with “Weird Al” Yankovic’s own take on Happy (and its brilliant continuous video), Tacky. I did include the late Honor Blackman of the original 1960s Avengers and James Bond/Goldfinger fame, after her passing this week, but Kinky Boots is one of the most ridiculously upbeat novelty songs I can think of, and it did lead my brain into Nancy Sinatra’s These Boots Are Made for Walking, which can also serve as a reminder to try and get out of the house and do a lap around the neighbourhood this weekend. Preferably while lightening the load with some anti-grump songs.
Pharrell Williams - Happy
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
Reeny Smith - Good Girl Swag
Honor Blackman & Patrick MacNee - Kinky Boots
Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walking
Lizzo - Good As Hell
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun
“Weird Al” Yankovic - Tacky
- DAILY PLAYLIST: A toast to those who are gone; Prine, Withers, Willner & more
- DAILY PLAYLIST: Best loved songs from movie, stage musicals according to the data
- DAILY PLAYLIST: Hear this weekend’s Canadian Folk Music Award winners
- DAILY PLAYLIST: New releases to brighten the weekend, from Barry to Born Ruffians
- DAILY PLAYLIST: Salute to East Coast artists up for Canadian Folk Music Awards