Fed up with oil tank rules

Does anyone out there know the real rules about oil tanks and its rules? I can't seem to get a straight answer from the provice or Insurance company's or anyone else forthat matter.

It seems there are differant rules for every tank and home owener. Tanks that are tagged good for another five years all of a sudden have to be replaced with a fiberglass tank outside?

And try gettint a answer from the DEPT, OD ENVIREMENT, Its like trying to pull teeth from a hen, Is anyone else hearing about these great rules?

Comments

Comments

• biff
    May 29, 2013 - 09:35

It's alot cheaper to replace a tank then pay for the envirionmental clean up.

• Sylvia
    March 11, 2013 - 18:54

When I get that notice I will either go to propane or to wood. It sure won't be oil. Maybe even electrical. Then I won't have to worry about tanks or spills..........

• L Arsenault
    January 12, 2013 - 08:32

what about in the case of a fire, a fiberglass tank will burn and really cause a spill and more danger to fire fighters and others adding more accelerant as well as the toxic fumes of burning fiberglass? Also how do we know that fiberglass will stand up, fiberglass will break down when used for a prolonged time for holding hot water?What about using aluminum tanks, that is what transport trucks use and they go through alot more fuel than the average household and there is never any reports of them corroding and contaminating the ground water or is that another thing that is kept hush hush lol?

• criminal activity ripe in this scam
    October 21, 2012 - 06:56

This whole deal is filled with scams and criminal activity instigated by our provincial government.

• don
    October 11, 2012 - 10:13

money grab from oil companies,government,and insurance companies.

• Ernest and Paula Gallant
      December 15, 2012 - 19:40

Don: Governments should have been looking after the average person ,how did our tanks get so paper tin all of a sudden , this is the the kinds of things governments should be doing for the comsumer . I have a relative that uses an additive to fuel oil and gasoline and this additive takes care of condensation in your tank . So why couldn't the companies use this additive instead of trying to blame ordinary citizens . Insurances companies that's another issue , be sure to read the fine print and you'll never know how good your insurance is until you need to use their services .

• Anthony Siciliano
    June 19, 2012 - 10:51

The oil tank issue is much different here, in the US. But I will say that a 24 year old tank that I had underground was okay when I removed it but showed obvious signs of deterioration. Removal and installation of 2 new tanks, in the basement, cost about $3,000.00. $500 of that was for a permit to install and an analysis of the earth around the tank, which showed no oil to be present. The 50 year old, underground tank I removed at my parents house was also leak free. Just lucky I guess. Underground tanks are not permitted here anymore. I subsequently installed an indoor wood-burning boiler and have not had to buy any oil for 2 years. No more freezing to conserve fuel and it's everywhere.

• Ed
    June 12, 2012 - 00:07

A neighbours tank was due to epire 2013 and it was inside his garage. mWent on holidys for 2 weks, returned and a weld spot at the bottom of the tank let go. It was nearly full at the time.. I believe the clean up cost exceeded 200,ooo.oo. Mine was tagged for 2014 also inside.guess what my other neighbour as well. We ordered the fiberglass tanks the next day, after we found out that metal tanks would have to be put in the house and that by 2020 the Gov't would outlaw metal tanks. Prevention is the name of the game, complaining won't help, prevent a leak or better theft or little boys cutting your line.

• D.Johnson
    May 07, 2012 - 19:59

It's all a smoke screen; since the fuel companies several years ago was asked to remove sulphur from oil and gas to make emissions cleaner; they also forgot about adding an additive to the fuel mixture to prevent components from rusting. Also naturally occurring condensation doesn't help either. To better help homeowners out with their metal tank pour in a bottle of Oil Burner Tune-up in the oil tank with every fill-up to help displace the condensation that occurs. This is also good for all tanks as it makes the fuel burn cleaner and you get better heat from the fuel whether it is a furnace, oil stove, kerosene heaters.

• mememkcks
    February 09, 2012 - 11:30

look up B-139 code book. it has all the codes for oil tanks in canada

• DBenson
    December 27, 2011 - 13:08

Thanks Vicky, for the URL to the IRAC site. I knew I was going to have to replace my tank when I bought my house in 97, the tank was made in 96. In 2011, I arranged to have it changed and 2 weeks after the work was done, the $150 rebate on new tanks was offered. I did not qualify as the work was already done. So much for being efficient. I don't know why so many people plead ignorance about this issue, the facts have been around for a long time.

• hrcbear
    December 22, 2011 - 13:34

About 6 months ago a neighbour couple doors down, had his metal oil tank pop a welding spot. his tank drained and he was not home for 2 weeks. When he returned, noticed the damage and Environment got involved. A contractor spent a month digging up the ground to 25 feet below the house then found out that the oil has spread below the slba, hence they dug up the garage floor to the same depth. Tanks was tagged to 2014, 220 thousand later the house was fit to live in with the tank inside. Two of us with tanks expiring in 2013 got ours replaced with fiberglas tanks within a week. Although new metal tanks , double hulled, have to be inside your house, all metal tanks will be out the door in 2020 as they will be illegal. SDpend the money now and get a fiberglass one, because when it becomes law they will be in short supply and will costs more. Thats what Kenmac energy told me and its done.

• john
      December 27, 2011 - 07:43

HRCBEAR REPLY. Again ,why doesn't this person go after the tank company or yell real loud in the governments face about the issue???????????

• Marie Gallant
    December 13, 2011 - 10:40

Need to replace that oil tank. Here is a tip we discovered after asking many questions like in your comments. We got the royal run around as well. Then we checked out OEE , which has a grant for oil tank replacement. Then we went to Kenmac Energy to price our 15 year old furnace and replace with Propane and install tanks. End result was we could change over and the cost was only $1000. more than just replacing oil tank and doing so would lower our insurance rate as we didn't have to worry about oil spill nor did the environment. Simple solution for people with disability Canada pensions as we all know oil prices rise faster than propane . There is a 20 cent difference in price per litre and the propane tanks are maintenance by the propane supplier. So we just changed it and saved money and headaches all around.

• Romeo
      March 04, 2012 - 08:03

With everything you have said Marie: what was your heating cost on oil and what is it now on Propane.

• Aging Parents
    December 09, 2011 - 08:36

EXACTLY !!! The sales pitch for the fibreglass tank was that it will last them 25 years ! They will be 110 by then - made them really happy. Their old tank was perfectly good and didn't have to be replaced

• Mike Gallant
    December 08, 2011 - 19:42

I really feel for these seniors and other people who are trying to make ends meat like ourselves and senors on a fixed income and getting treated like this with Ins. company's and tank manufacturers who don't give a darn about tanks that are still perfectly good. And worst than that a newly elected person for the dept. of environment who will not answer any e-mails or phone calls ,does she deserve to get re-elected? I think not. I;m sure they could of gave us some kind of grace period on this matter, but that does not surprise me, they just ignore the subject after what I was told this morning from a guy who has been in this business for forty years and the people who are lichened for installing tanks had to meet with our government about rules and regulations and they were told this is how its going to be, and that's the end of the discussions .Merry Christmas to our government and I'm sure you won;t have to worry about putting oil in your tank to keep warm ,as it is our tax dollars keeping you people all warm and fuzzy.. Thanks for nothing ,PISSED

• Aging Parents
    December 08, 2011 - 09:06

Imagine the surprise my 2 parents in their 80's had when they needed fuel for the winter and the delivery guy said only after they spent $2500 on a new tank !!

• J Arsenault
    December 05, 2011 - 13:37

Think about this, P.E.I. wants oil tanks inside, Nova Scotia wants them outside and supposedly New Brunswick had people put them inside but now wants them outside again. If we are concerned about environmental issues, shouldn't we all be on the same page?

• Vicky Smith
    November 23, 2011 - 11:08

It took me quite some time to find the regulations for home heat tanks, but here is the information: http://www.irac.pe.ca/document.aspx?file=legislation/EPA-HomeHeatTanksRegulations.asp

• Graham Ayers
    November 05, 2011 - 12:56

Count your self lucky that your insurance is forcing you to change this tank. The Government approved your old tank for longer than its use full life and found out back in 2009 that these tanks were leaking prematurely from the inside out. Out of fear of responsibility and liability for these leaky tanks, the government has done nothing and is quite happy letting the insurance companies do their dirty work.