Pulling Over the Wrong People

Charlottetown Police have announced that they will be pulling over drivers who show courtesy and obey the rules of the road and giving them a voucher for a free oil change at Pro Oil Change.

My concern is why not just take the license plate number and mail instead of potentially making citizens late for work or doctors appointments etc when they are being good. It seems like this just a way to pull over whoever they like to catch unlisenced or intoxicated drivers and so on.

If I were to get pulled over on the way to an interview for a job while obeying the rules of the road I will not be a happy camper if I am late. There has to be an alterier motive hear or these vouchers for oil changes would be mailed. And if so it is a dirty tactic that could harm more than it helps. I've been in cities where they have done this before and the mail route is the way they took.

I would like to know where they are every night at midnight when the motorcycles are testing how fast they can go from 0-60+ downtown for an hour straight. Hence the title. Pulling over the wrong people.

Comments

Comments

• Gerard
    October 14, 2012 - 12:45

Sorry City Police............you didn't get too many KUDOS on this one.

• SG
    September 16, 2012 - 12:36

Did I truly read this? Pull Drivers over that are Obeying the law and give them a Voucher for a Free Oil Change? I suspect that many drivers they pull over for this purpose might be annoyed. Please use your time for pulling over those who are not driving according to the law and regulations! Why should drivers be Gifted for doing what they are supposed to do ? I also agree it is a much better and safer idea to jot down these drivers' License number and mail their Free Gift Certificate OR call them and tell them to stop by and pick it up. I bet few would take the time to stop by and pick up their Free Oil Change Voucher!

• mary moore
    September 11, 2012 - 12:46

sec 9 charter violation... aribtrary detention

• Beth
    July 19, 2012 - 11:39

Take the free oil change or leave it. Some people are so hard to please. They are GIVING instead of TAKING.

• Common People
    July 19, 2012 - 09:54

Do you not see whats going on here its exactly what Mr.Smith said to begin with its a way for police to pull over anybody they feel like to potentialy catch them doing something wrong for instance what happens if they pull you over for a voucher but oh no you forgot your seatbelt wasnt on theres a ticket and no voucher why not just mail the vouchers again agreeing with Smith also i couldnt count how many times i see people driveing the wrong way up kent st. (every day) people driveing way under / way over the speed limit (both not safe) blowing through stop signs and so why not try to concentrate on pulling people over that are breaking rules and keep the good drivers on the road and moving because most of all being pulled over by police is embaressing and no-one wants that and to be honest i haven't heard of anyone getting one of these vouchers ever so i guess we're all just terrible drivers

• hugh neil
    July 13, 2012 - 14:49

there is a large number of city tax payers who don' drive .I suppose none of them object to others who can afford to drive getting free oil changes when they have trouble just getting by.and what a glorious bonus to now have a cop for a friend no more oil changes to pay for Hooray!!!

• Rick
    July 03, 2012 - 19:27

They should had out vouchers for cases of beer. People would certainly drive better.

• sally
    May 09, 2012 - 11:04

i think its a great idea , keeps the police out of coffee shops or driving around doing nothing ... i support the city police in getting in shape ....

• Grammar Geek
    April 19, 2012 - 13:37

Dear Punctuation Police, Technically, the error falls under grammar and spelling, not punctuation. That's okay. You are welcome.

• Oops? lol
      April 20, 2012 - 09:53

You don't need to capitalize technically.

• LOL
      May 29, 2012 - 16:50

Hahaha, your grammar is atrocious.

• Brian
    April 15, 2012 - 07:28

The real reason there pulling over the good drivers is that there is so few of them the Police figure it won't take to much time from there day to day policing duties.

• Mark Jay
    February 26, 2012 - 17:28

My question is: Pro Oil Change, Who in the "Advertising Department " of the CPS decided to use Pro Oil Change as their choice for giving out these vouchers, or how much is it costing the oil company for all this advertising? Were the other oil change companies approached on this matter, or is there an "IN" for this company. Kinda silly for the Police to be involved in advertising and marketing for a private company if you ask me. Because at the end of the day that is all it is. Maybe give out vouchers for free cases of beer! That way at least the money stays within the taxpayers regime.

• Benny
    February 17, 2012 - 14:39

Free oil changes? Sure, why not? Routine traffic blocks to slow down the ever speeding motorist, YUP! How about just giving bad drivers a ticket! I've lived and worked in five of our provinces and this one seems to be the biggest offender for near running down pedestrians in cross walks and intersections, speeding and drunkies behind the wheel. The police need to give more tickets not oil changes. But if they must use the mail.

• Martin A. Good
    January 02, 2012 - 15:10

SO !!!!!!!

• Tanya
    December 13, 2011 - 10:37

@Captain Canuck - it's called positive reenforcement and it's a very powerful (parenting) tool when used properly. I don't want to start a massive debate but the effectiveness of punitive systems has been questioned for a long time, this isn't something new. That being said, I agree with the content of the article ... go for it, reward people, but do it via the mail so I'm not late for work or inconvenienced. And, it will take much less time for the officers, freeing them up to actually stop the rule breakers.

• Captain Canuck
    November 21, 2011 - 15:21

I just plain disagree with the program. My father never gave my brother a treat for NOT hitting me. That would be bad parenting. Well, this is the same logic: treating someone for driving as they were taught to drive in order to keep themselves alive. HOWEVER, if I get pulled over for my good driving and receive a free oil change, I'll take it. From what I've seen, no one will get the prize anyway.

• soundbites
    November 20, 2011 - 12:51

As one who has been pulled over by the police, treated rudely, then given a ticket which I fought and won... I have a brewing dislike for the arrogance of how some police handle the public. As one who was pulled over during a traffic blitz, and at the time could not find my ownership, then was fined 70.00 (even though I obviously hadn't stolen my own car), I take great offence to these type of traffic fishing tactics. I was especially upset when I saw another policeman and driver emptying a case of beer into the ditch at the other side of the road, and the driver was given nothing but a warning. We always get treated in a manner reflective of the officer's mood or his subjective like or dislike of a person on first contact. Their good intentions offering oil changes will flip-flop the moment you role down your window and say "Whazzz up broheim?".

• randy white
    November 14, 2011 - 21:45

sounds like an excuse to pull someone over with just cause to do so. actually, that's exactly what it is. foolish.

• Machel
    November 07, 2011 - 02:28

A positive PR move on behalf of police OR a chance to Stop drivers without having the Legal Right to do so? Gee, I wonder, . . . how did it happen that` Society has come to not being able to trust police, lawyers, the courts-judges & the politicians who "appoint" their judges?

• peter
      November 11, 2011 - 14:10

Impaired driving,or No licence,Car not insured ,Car not registration, No seatbelts , Cell phones while driving , please target these drivers not the ones obeying the laws of the road and save innocent people cost and injury when there is a accident , Please more road side stops ,

• Frank
    October 31, 2011 - 14:52

Thank you but I'll pass on the oil change

• Wayne Beaton
    October 31, 2011 - 09:04

Why do people always have to look for and express a negitive look on everything. I personally think its great to try and promote curtious driving. My experience is that a lot of drivers could use the thought put into thier heads. Thumbs up to the Police dept. Pull me over anytime you wish to give away and oil change!

• MS
      November 15, 2011 - 17:02

Yes, however they can be sent in the mail. All they need is your plate number and they can get that without even disturbing anyone. Including the flow of traffic. There is positive also in the article nut all you have noticed was the negative. Some people are curious even when in a hurry is the point I believe

• benbarr
    October 23, 2011 - 07:22

it is not a popularity contest, the job of law officers.

• Dave
    September 30, 2011 - 13:36

I wonder how the Charlottetown police can manage this , as we do not have a traffic division, and their seems that the resources that we have would be better off to concentrate on speeders on our streets rather than those obeying the law??????

• Punctuation Police