Lack of direction: University Ave.

Heading south towards downtown on University Ave there is lack or painted arrows on the road.

Approaching the intesection at Kirkwood Dr the left turn lane does not have much advance knowledge for tourists that is is indeed it is a left turn lane. Someone from Quebec hauling a camper today realized last second it was a left turn lane and tried to race past me and almost side swiped me instead of cutting their loss and making the left turn. Luckly I noticed the person behind me noticed also so I was able to slam on my brakes. If someone is in the left lane going the opposite way it would be a head on collision without a doubt when people do this.

University Ave has been paved for a couple weeks now but only the bare minimum has been done with it when it comes to safety. If drivers could know the intentions of the lane they were driving in a couple hundred feet befor had this would happen less.

Comments

Comments

• C. Cudmore
    October 18, 2013 - 14:54

City motorists may be prompted to respect the right-of-way of pedestrians at crosswalks, both those crossings with pedestrian crossing signals and those at intersections, marked or unmarked. It is both illegal and dangerous for a motorist to make an advanced right-hand turn on red when a pedestrian is crossing. It is not at all a wise choice to inch towards the pedestrian in the crosswalk, with the anticipation that it might hurry the pedestrian along. What if the motorist is rear-ended and pushed into the crossing pedestrian? Pedestrians have died in this type of incident. The motorist may then be charged with manslaughter and serve a prison term with probable loss of driver's license. None of the professional driving schools would suggest that motorists inch towards crossing pedestrians. It's far too risky. Perhaps there is a need to restrict car traffic in the inner City during certain times of the day. Cars could be parked in parking lots on the perimeter of the City and motorists could hop a transit bus downtown or walk to and from their car. Thanks for reading and please drive safely.

• SG
    September 16, 2012 - 13:03

Is it any wonder Tourists are confused when Islanders who drive these routes every day are confused due to lack of signage. PLEASE put a set of Lights at Sherwood Rd. and the Exit onto the TCH from the Airport before someone is killed! There are Transfer Trailer Trucks on that Highway going both ways all day and night! I witnessed three accidents at this area over the past year and a half. Just an ordinary Set of Lights would make a HUGE difference re:Safety.

• ken
    June 28, 2012 - 08:53

I wonder what so called engineer came up with the plan for the main entrance to the Q.E.H. i am sure any first year engineering student could design a much better plan than what is in place now it is a accident waiting to happen.

• Brian
    March 15, 2012 - 09:16

Speaking of safety. When are they going to make using your indicator light mandatory. As they said on ,Canada's worst drivers,your signal light is the most important tool in your car. I've been cut off so many times by people not using there signal light. If there made to use them,they would have to think before they moved there car into another lane and when there used they should be used long before you make a turn,not when you make the turn.

• Brian
    January 19, 2012 - 09:20

Has anybody noticed that the outside lanes going North and South on University Ave,right where your drivers side wheel go's, they have put the Manhole covers. Who ever the Engineer was, did not have any foresight. It almost seem's deliberate that everything they do has to have some major flaw. I would love to know, who makes the choice about who' they hire and what kind of procedure they go through that makes there choice.

• Lori
    November 30, 2011 - 10:23

The signage stinks in this province. As an aside - you can be driving down a road and get to a corner/intersection and there isn't even a sign there.... Signage and education is the key. People going through the roundabout in Summerside - STILL do not know how to use it.

• Ms Whitty
    November 22, 2011 - 08:53

Overhead signage would go a long way. No cars covering an arrow if it does exist.

• V Perry
    October 21, 2011 - 08:44

On University Avenue (by Tim Horton's/Kenutcky Fried Chicken) are 2 lanes. One is a turning lane and the other to continue straight through. I continually see people in the turning lane continuing straight through the lights. Maybe the police need to sit there for a bit and hand out a few tickets for this violation. The turning lane is intended for that purpose only - or am I not reading the arrows correctly???

• V Perry
    October 21, 2011 - 08:41

Same thing happens going up University Avenue (by Tim Hortons/Kentucky - the arrow is for turning and people continue to go straight through - a few tickets may change people's mind from going through the lights instead of turning where indicated.

• LA
    September 26, 2011 - 11:22

Exactly why I avoid the avenue and take North River Road whenever possible.

• Jane Warren
    August 27, 2011 - 22:04

A possible reason for the wild and dangerous lane changes - from University Avenue to Capital Drive (and possibly vice versa) - are the minuscule signs which indicate the street names. The signs which are there are not in a prominent position to be noticed - as I found out on Friday when trying to leave the university. My passenger quietly noted the signs should be overhead and/or in bigger letters when we turned before getting to Capital Drive.

• Denis
    August 08, 2011 - 14:05

Its August 8th now and nothing has changed at that corner. And YES it is a very problematic intersection. A motorhome almost pushed me off the road because of this. Another bad corner is heading north on university avenue and taking a left turn on Capital drive (peter pan corner). There are 2 left turn lanes but motorists on the inside lane always turn left and cross to the outside lane. marked guide lines inside the intersection could be very useful here.

• R. Magnusson
    July 17, 2011 - 09:59

I agree with the above item. Pavement markings are abysmal-to-non-existent (i.e.--long since worn away) on this avenue and on other busy city thoroughfares. I've no doubt this situation has contributed to at least one accident over the years. The city ought to take action, and sooner the better.

• speedy
    July 16, 2011 - 14:22

I totally agree with this article, this is so unsafe and an accident waiting to happen, I have come so close that I hate to think about what could have happened.