Parents lose custody of four children after years of neglect

Ryan Ross

A Prince Edward Island Supreme Court judge has granted permanent custody of four children to the director of child protection.

A Prince Edward Island Supreme Court judge has granted permanent custody of four children to the director of child protection in a case of neglect and abuse that included the father forcing one of them to eat his own feces.

Justice Gordon Campbell issued a written decision Thursday after a 10-day hearing held in November and December to determine if it was in the children’s best interest to permanently take custody away from the parents.

On Feb. 7, 2012 the director of child protection applied for permanent custody of the four children whose ages ranged from four to nine, but the parents contested that application.

The parties involved are only identified by initial in the judgment in order to protect the children’s identities.

In his decision, Campbell said it would be seen as the worst possible result for the parents, but they shouldn’t be surprised given their circumstances and past history.

During the hearing Campbell heard about numerous incidents involving the children, including one in which one of them reported that the father made him eat his own feces after he had an “accident” in which he defecated in his pants.

Campbell described it as “amongst the most foul, repulsive and abusive conduct imaginable” for anyone to do to another person, let alone their child.

It wasn’t the only evidence Campbell relied on, as he noted in his decision.

The director of child protection has been involved with the family since 2005 when concerns first arose about inappropriate people living in the home with the mother and the oldest son.

There were also concerns at the time about alleged drug use, domestic violence and the mother leaving the boy with inappropriate caregivers.

Those concerns continued throughout the years, despite several supervision orders and interventions from the director of child protection.

Both parents have been sentenced to jail time on numerous occasions and at times the children stayed with one parent while the other was in custody.

In March 2011 the oldest boy started missing school and concerns were raised that he wasn’t being properly fed or cared for.

The boy was also concerned about domestic violence against his mother, including an incident during which the father threw a hammer at her.

The four children were eventually placed in two separate foster homes, but later returned to their mother under supervision from the director of child protection.

Problems arose soon after, including a strong and constant smell of cat urine coming from the children’s clothing and the house.

There were also problems noticed at school with the children that included them not showing proper hygiene, not being properly dressed and not being properly fed.

Further investigation led to reports of unauthorized people supervising the children and suspected drug users living at the mother’s house.

There was also cat urine and feces found in the bedrooms, on the bedding and in the children’s clothes.

Questions were also raised about potential sexual abuse of one of the children, although no charges were ever laid.

The children were taken into care in January 2012 after the director of child protection and the police went to the home where they found known drug users but not the mother.

The father was in jail again at that time.

The mother was also arrested after a raid on her house and has a trial pending.

Police have found hashish, cocaine, ecstasy, drug paraphernalia, a Taser, a machete, police batons, mace, bear spray, dog spray and a bulletproof vest in the home with the children.

Campbell concluded his decision by saying too much time has passed in the children’s lives for the courts to consider extending their temporary custody with the director of child protection any longer and he ordered it be made permanent.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Geographic location: Taser

Comments

Comments

• Sara
    January 30, 2014 - 11:02

This is why when child services takes away children, they should take them away for good. Not take them away then let them be with their parents again and go through the horror all over again. I mean they have a brain, then use it. People may read this and think how would you know about any of this, but I was one of those children being back to parents and back to foster homes, until I took a stand and said no more.

• lina
    January 28, 2014 - 01:51

Anything horrible or bad and I mean ANYTHING that happens to the parents of these little ones will only inflict devastating emotional pain to the children if they have knowledge of it. Because that is how it goes. The child blames themselves . I hope that anyone who needs to hurt the parents ' will realize this. 'The System is devastatingly broken.

• Concerned in PEI
    January 24, 2014 - 11:53

Koodos to Justice Campbell! He is one of the only judges who gets this on PEI! Here on this island, it appals me that one parent can have Child Protective Services at the home, deem it necessary to remove children due to findings on scene and the other custodial parent reads about it in the newspaper. All that has to be done to accommodate this is have the parent at fault provide a "safety plan". YES, folks. True story! GROSS! What is wrong with the legislation? Why are our children not being protected? Oh, wait. More important to protect the adults under the Privacy legislation!!!!

• Jon n val
    January 21, 2014 - 21:38

Nasty stuff How can they sleep at night now or go out into public at all.

• everyone knows who, or will soon enough
      January 22, 2014 - 13:32

21 months from now when "mom" finishes her time, I bet there will be a public lynching. She's only going to live to see 30 because she's in the big house. unless she gets shanked.

• joan fiander
    January 21, 2014 - 20:17

i have never been so disgusted in my life-i think the child protection agency should be charged with neglect.How many years are children supposed to be abused before help comes for them. the judge finally did something for these children.

• Sandy
    January 21, 2014 - 10:31

I think it would be a better story if the past court cases where the judges did not remove the children were reviewed and judges named. There are too many unanswered questions why the situation lasted so many years. Surely this was not the first time the case came before a judge. The legislators and judges can negate and hobble the social workers sadly who must work with the laws given them.

• Kalo
    January 20, 2014 - 22:23

Sickened by everything distributed. It's very disturbing how animal rights are shown to have more thought put in place. Goverment taking animals away from an abusive society\home. Yet looking down on child abuse and neglect of parents. Horrific how peoples minds read. The parents feel proud for what goes on? Not seeing the cruelty of themselves? Truly hope more than just a simple charge or one year jail.

• BJ
    January 20, 2014 - 19:34

So let me get this straight... Last year the cats that were being neglected were removed from the "home" but the children were left there for another YEAR!!! This absolutely disgusts me. It's seems that our Child and Family Services need to take advice from the SPCA. Children need to be PROTECTED, not left to fend for themselves. Imagine what courage it took for that little boy to speak of the horrifying act he was made to do. Jail will be too easy for these MONSTERS. I can only pray that these children find a wonderful family who will appreciate, value and love them. They have a long road of healing ahead. My thoughts are with them.

• we're not in the know
    January 20, 2014 - 19:11

Two points. First, this clearly doesn't give the entire story. Obviously there are many details left out. I wonder how many times social workers tried to remove the children, only to have the judges send them home? I know a few social workers who are often very frustrated with the limitations of their job, the difficulty in convincing judges of the need to remove children, or the parents that do "just enough" when they have to in order to keep their kids. That's a pretty thankless job--you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. (Just a few days ago, the Guardian comments were slamming authorities for investigating the parents in the death of the baby in Kensington~you can't have it both ways, folks). Second, if you don't like the laws, write your MLA, MP, the Minister of Social Services, or the Premier. Social workers, judges, and other people in similar jobs HAVE TO follow the legislation. Part of this includes being able to prove, with evidence and without a doubt, that children are better off without their parents than with them. That's a pretty high bar. If you think parents should have less rights, say something about it. If you think children should be removed long before this level of risk is there, say something about it. The public elects the people who create AND who change the laws, and they do respond to the public. Email, call, write, sign petitions, educate yourselves .....comments on the Guardian are not nearly as convincing as they should be. (This also goes for anyone who thinks the drinking and driving penalties are too lenient....or any other offence, for that matter).

• Karla
      January 21, 2014 - 09:34

Well said, couldn't agree more!! I have been reading so many comments in regards to CPS and how they didn't do their job. I would like to see every one who has said negative comments towards them do their job! And yes, we are not in the KNOW, we don't have all the facts so why go assuming things.

• Concerned in PEI
      January 24, 2014 - 12:14

Oh, I AM in the know. Trust me on that one. And I AM NOT a fan of CPS and will NEVER be. They cause hell in the lives of people who are willing to go the extra mile to protect their children! It has taken years off of our lives due to stress caused by this so called system that should have been in place to protect our loved ones! Been there and done that. T-shirt, anyone?

• Stew
    January 20, 2014 - 18:37

Why did removing those children from this home take so long? Why do these evil people get chance after chance and continue to get their children back? All with the intention of "keeping families together"? God help those poor kids.

• DRIFTKILLA
    January 20, 2014 - 17:35

I HOPE WHEN THOSE KIDS TURN 18 THEY SUE CHILD PROTECTION 4 LETTING THIS GO ON FOR 8 YEARS WHEN THEY WERE GIVEN BAK TO HER WHEN SHE FIRST GOT OUT OF PRISION WERES ALL THERE BIG FANCY HELP WHEN THEY HAV TO LIV IN THERE MOTHERS FILTH WHAT TOOK SO LONG COME ON PEOPLE ALL ABOUT THE PAY CHECK N BIG JOB LABEL THEW GUY IN JAIL IF FOUND GUILTY OF SAOMTHING CHILD RELATED WILL GO TO SOFTESS PLACE IN HOLRE JAIL N ARE PAMPERD LIKE SPECIAL PEOPLE INSTEAD OF BEING PUT IN REGULAR POPULATION STEEL VCR THESE DAYS 2YR PUT KID THREW THIS MESS N GET HOUSE AREST GRRRR

• anybody
    January 20, 2014 - 16:59

Testing for drugs, before and after birth or no welfare.

• some peoples children
    January 20, 2014 - 14:42

These poor helpless babies did not deserve the treatment that they indored. Although I dont live in PEI anymore and my children are grown I would take these little darlings in and give them the life that they deserve. The parents should be ashamed. And yes I know who they are, lets give these children a better life with a new family who loves them. there are people out there who cant have children and would do anything to have these lil darlings. I wouldnt let them be spilt up as right now they need to stay together.

• m
    January 20, 2014 - 14:21

There is a case in Newfoundland with two children (age 4 and 5) last name Baird. Who were taken from the mother for drug usage (including cocaine usage while the mother was breastfeeding!) and violence in the home. The eldest child has a father capable of care and approved by CPS but has been denied his child because he will not take the other which is not his own. Yet CPS can keep them in custody and risk them being raised apart by strangers in the future there are serious problems in the system and at the taxpayers dollar!

• Saddened New Islander
    January 20, 2014 - 12:48

... And now these poor little children will be split up all over, if they even are lucky enough to find adoptive homes, and not even have each other for solace - Something that's been so crucial and helped get them through all these torturous and abusive years. I'm very saddened that no one fought harder for them. No one ... Not a neighbor, a friend, family members, a teacher, or an official. No one ! So much for ... " it takes a village " ...

• and how do you know?
      January 20, 2014 - 13:20

How do you know no one fought for those children? It's obvious from the article that there were people who cared about these kids, especially teachers, and called attention to the situation. Child abuse and neglect is a very real issue everywhere, and goes much, much deeper than any of us could fathom. These children will get good care in a broken system. It may not be perfect, but it is better than what they had.

• Debby Potter
    January 20, 2014 - 12:17

Those children need to be raised off island now, to avoid the "stigma" which attached to their innocent little lives. Everyone will be pointing fingers and whispering about this situation forever (even if they mean well) and those children have been through way too much already. I will keep to myself my opinion on what should happen to the so-called parents

• Unreal
      January 20, 2014 - 12:55

How can in this day and age people get away with this. Authorities and others knew what was happening and still let it happen. My heart goes out to those children. Bit really not surprised that nothing was done, few years ago I called every number in the blue pages that had to do with children and yes I have got to talk to a lot of people about my situation ( mind you it's nothing like the above story thank god). My son at a very young age was always scared to go home and still is by times and nobody would do a thing. I hope that the goverment will look more seriously into more cases no matter the savarity of the issue. I'm still going through same issues with my son and his mother so if someone can help leave a post on here.

• Grace
    January 20, 2014 - 11:56

Such a sad story, hoping the children can get needed help and move on and the parents get whatever is needed. I wonder where the teachers and school system, doctors, neighbours and others were and what were their thoughts and reasons for inaction for 9 years. I feel we as citizens of this great province have a responsibility to those who cannot help themselves. God bless and hope for healing.

• Islandher
    January 20, 2014 - 11:52

It's P.E.I. if you read the news at all it will be easy to find out the names of these two. Yes, something should have been done a long time ago, no attacking child protection will not help. This is a time for all the people who are commenting about the family to write to their mayor's and the P.M. Complaining on the Guardian website will have no effect on the rules that bind social workers from being able to do what i'm sure they have wanted to do since they first encountered this family. I would bet that the social worker who did the intake for this case has been just as frustrated as everyone posting, only they have been kept quiet due to privacy acts. The family is 100% to blame, but the community and child welfare laws should also be held accountable.

• islander
    January 20, 2014 - 11:49

CPS on pei is a joke. I know of a child who has been sexually molested for the last 3 years and CPS is aware of it but allows the child back with the mother. The courts have even allowed the mother to keep the child after saying that the person molesting the child had too much of an interest for being non family but yet the judge sent the child back for more abuse. So its not just CPS that is at fault the courts are probably the ones who have sent the children back to live with the parents as they are so scared to take away from the parents. my opinion is who cares about the parent's rights when they are placing the children in a dangerous situation.

• Sandy
    January 20, 2014 - 11:37

As a former Islander living abroad I can only say no other civilized place on earth would have kept the identity of the parents secret for years. They would have been charged and identified. Why is wrong with Island thinking. Is it the old don't let the neighbors know that was a source of pride a hundred years ago. Demand better of your representatives who wrote worthless laws. The children can never be made whole after so many years. The adults who oversaw this case are as much to blame as the parents but the legislators who wrote the laws are worse than parents or social workers.

• scott
    January 20, 2014 - 11:34

Why do we treat drug addicts like victims? I feel that my tax dollars should be used to help people better themselves...not freeload so they can act like idiots. If a baby is born to an addict...WHY LET HER KEEP IT????? I say sterilize her. I work out west and I have to take drug tests to work. I think that if you want to get welfare or eight than you should be tested for drugs. Its supposed to be a WAR on drugs. Lets start treating it like one.

• Jennifer
    January 20, 2014 - 11:14

How could a human being feed feces to another human being? Actually you are not a human being you are a monster. I for one hope that everyday they spend in jail they will be fed the same thing. I also hope that those parents will never see the light those children will bring to a new family. I wish nothing but the best for those children. May every day of your lives never be lived like you did the last 8 years. I also hope those parents get everything that comes to them. God Bless the beautiful babies and may you never have to endor another moment associated with them.

• candrayo
    January 20, 2014 - 11:03

Society needs to wake up here! Everybody wants to point the finger at someone else and most fail to want to point the finger at themselves….or the big picture….I get it…..but come one….how much clearer does the picture have to get before you get the BIG picture here in society??? We are going about things ALL wrong…Our kids get it…..we need to stop talking to our kids like idiots and maybe they will stop treating us like the idiots we have become…..in my personal opinion. We must talk about the issue!

• Islander
    January 20, 2014 - 10:54

I totally agree with earlier post, this should not be kept hush hush! and these poor babies cannot be hurt anymore than they already have..most probably know the parents names, if not for the children, I wish there names were published, so they could feel humiliated and ashamed, and never be able to walk down the street again without being spat at!! 9 years! 9 years! you had to turn your life around for these babies, and you chose not to. If that were the case why have more?? To the Grandmother of these babies, who fought not! to have them removed, you too! are a waste of space. I truly hope these little ones find the love and care they have gone so long without.

• Angele_DesRoches
    January 20, 2014 - 10:25

A publication ban on a case like this one is not the way to protect the children growing up in our communities. I am glad the Guardian has drawn attention to this case, and provided a timeline for Island citizens to review. The system is clearly broken and unfortunately there is no quick fix. It is quite easy to point fingers at parents who abuse and neglect their children. It is much more arduous to look at the situation with a wider lens. The structure of Child and Protection Services creates a situation where the institution must balance the rights of a child with the rights of parents – this precarious situation is further hampered by the fact that service providers seem to function in isolation of each other. Currently, we have a reactive system of self-contained services. What we need is a proactive and collaborative system. I hope this story generates some sort of community response, and public dialog around the efficacy of the intuitions charged with safeguarding the wellbeing of Island children.

• Bigdoglover
    January 20, 2014 - 10:18

Unfortunitely, govt has its cutbacks due to sending money to other countries for aid, we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Our govt will NEVER realize that it should look after its own people and put our future(children) first and foremost. All areas of protection are less then acceptable, animal cruelty, seniors protection etc etc......blame our govt for not looking after their own....... sad very sad

• A Grandmother
    January 20, 2014 - 10:07

I think this is wonderful news! Now hopefully these children will have a fighting chance at having a normal life instead of a horrible life with her! (them) How could you ever do this to your children? I can't even begin to imagine..... Whatever the case, they are free from them and finally able to start to heal without the fear of ever being hauled back into that nightmare.

• Roger
    January 20, 2014 - 09:43

Where did/do these people live?

• Elle
    January 20, 2014 - 09:28

Why are people given so many chances to continue hurting their children? For those that don't think the Guardian should have published this story, you are wrong, People need to know what is happening in order to help stop it from happening to other children. If you suspect that a child may be neglected or abused, report it. It's better to report it and be wrong then not report it and find out later that they were being abused. This is why I am going through the strict process of becoming a foster parent. Those poor kids.

• Tara Ileso
    January 20, 2014 - 09:27

I am ot going to judge these parents. The courts did that already. Our job should be to learn from this. Could we have done anything to prevent these children from being treated unfairly? We need to help each other. We need support groups. We need to tell others about our own difficulties when it comes to parenting, marriage, etc... so others know they are not alone. Maybe these parents don' t have the life skills to deal with stresses of life. We need to teach our high school students skills on stress management and conflict resolution, before they become parents. And lets help our neighbours and fellow Islanders. They only difference between a "fit" parent and an " unfit" parent is one simple act. Lets teach each other so none of us feels they have to resort to that one act. I am not speaking to gov't to fix our social and education problems I am talking to Islanders. I am not critizing, I am trying to motivate. I could do much more than I do, a lot more!

• Stephanie
    January 20, 2014 - 09:02

Wow... How sick.... some people just shouldn't have innocent minds to mold, that's for sure! Poor things! I hope they still find their way....

• Bobbi lea Henderson
    January 20, 2014 - 08:56

Why is there no mention of the parents being charged with child abuse & neglect . Why is there not an internal investigation into why Child Protection Services continually allowed these children back into the home with these two monsters ! In regards to someone's post saying this should not if been made public and that the kids are probably being made fun of .... Shame on you !!!! It doesn't say their names and I'm sure no adult is going to tell their kids who this family is ( if they know ) . This abuse could of been avoided if child protection and the police did their jobs correctly ! They have been involved with the family since 2005 ... 9 yrs of abuse that could of been prevented or at least stopped much much earlier then when it was stopped . My heart goes out to those dear little children and I hope they get the help they need and the love and attention that they so much deserve. ! I also think that the parents need to be charged and held responsible for what they did it even better do to them what they did to those children !

• patsy glover
    January 20, 2014 - 08:43

they call them parents no way were they parents .They should be treated the same way se how they like it poor kids.where was the child care all these years to keep giving back the kids.give your head a shake.if it looks like a duck ,quacks like a duck ,it's likely a duck .dummys

• don
    January 20, 2014 - 08:38

they should be both put in prison for life and a day on all charges. and in protective cells let the inmates at them. but we all know the laws on PEI is so weak they will get a 100.00 fine and 10 days in jail.

• Shar
      January 20, 2014 - 19:10

These parents are psychopaths,drug addiction is no excuse.whether these children are separated or not their lives will surely be 100% better away from these monsters!!!

• disgusted beyond!!!!
    January 20, 2014 - 08:26

I wonder if these great people with Child Protective Services and the Judges can sit and imagine their own children living in these conditions, being abused and neglected with dead beat no good parents. They should retire and get some new people in there who give a crap!!!!!!! They should be forced to explain to the people of PEI how this went on for years...My god those poor kids....just breaks your heart and for what reason did it go on that long....I want to know!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I want to know!!!!

• Rhonda
      January 20, 2014 - 18:57

I fully agree with you disgusted beyond! yes they should step down we do deserve explantion on this 9 yrs these children went this abuse and of course they keep putting them back in with adults. Time for a change there is lots of adults good people wanting to take children in and raise as there own at no cost just to say they have a family , they have taken courses and all but told they on waiting list in which case I know for a FACT there are children crying for stable homes but judge and welfare system wont fight for them they take them out supply money to who takes them and supply mother to give her a break but they go back and abused again and again I myself am truly disgusted!

• Just curious
      January 22, 2014 - 12:41

Just wondering if you read the supreme court decision? its long, but is a good read. from what I gather, CPS WERE doing their jobs. its just that the laws around removing children are tricky. they needed to cross their t's and dot their i's I guess. when reading the decision it came clear that social workers and judges and cops WANTED to take the children, or keep the children, but the still have to follow the LAW. We cant blame CPS, we can only blame the sociopath parents, and blame the LAWS. I was horrified by the news of this. and mentally bothered by not only what happened, but how the heck it kept going on. I know who these people are, (not personally, just know the name and associate it with "train wreck") and they are in and out of jail and prison all the time. I remember reading a supreme court decision about her, the "mother' back in 2008 when she tried to appeal going to jail for drugs and weapons charges because she was preganant, and she needed to be out to "protect her children from harm". the judge said "YOU are the danger to your children" reading the newest document sheds light on how it went on that long. I agree with the outrage that these kids weren't taken sooner, but when you say you want to know. I thought you should read the decision. it answered a few (not all ) questions for myself. www.gov.pe.ca/courts/supreme/reasons/7743.pdf

• unreal
    January 20, 2014 - 08:21

really not a surprise look at all the parents on the methadone program and collecting a welfare check every month..those kids are in just as much danger..

• cadenjak
    January 20, 2014 - 08:00

Every reader today is sickened by the lead article but really why wasn't there a publication ban on this case ? How many children in school today are being double victimized because their classmates are wondering if they are the children talked about in the front page of the Guardian today ? This after the Child Protective Services did everything possible to keep this matter confidential. I see no value in the general public knowing of this situation and it certainly doesn't help these children.

• Pennaluv
      January 20, 2014 - 08:30

This is the problem....silence is not the answer...there is nothing additional that can be done to these children to make anything worse than it already is......if the silence would have been broken a long time ago maybe these children would have been spared some of the neglect they lived through. You see no value? Wake up....abuse has been silent for too many years....how many could have been saved by breaking the code of silence????? I am an Islander...born and raised...it's time for PEI to break that code of silence.....it is not right to keep this under wraps....People need to know!

• Marie
      January 20, 2014 - 10:04

As long as there are people who think these events should be hush hush, it will continue!!! You can't sweep abuse...be it drug abuse, physical abuse, child abuse, spousal abuse, verbal abuse etc. under the carpet and expect it to correct itself or go away on it's own because there will always be abusers!!! Abuse of power is just as bad!!!

• Anne
    January 20, 2014 - 07:46

I'am sick to my stomach!! Had to put today's guardian in the blue bag before I even got to open it up; I have never ever read such a "Disguisting" story like I did this morning. How in the name of god could this happen,why did it take so long for the "Child Protection Society" soooo long to get those dear "Little Babies"(yes I said "Babies" ) out of that home,or should I say house,it sure was not a home in my mind. Why,why,why,this is not a good way to start my week,i'am honest to god "Sick to my stomach".&

• Abe
    January 20, 2014 - 07:24

Some families have more children so they can get additional money from social services. Sad, but true.

• jan
    January 20, 2014 - 04:57

Is this the drug bust in montague back in the spring?

• Daniel
    January 20, 2014 - 03:01

Why do we not just have people like this put to death? Call it harsh if you want to, but do we as tax payers want to pay for their housing, food, clothing, heat? Wether it's in a jail cell or a padded room. We have no space in society for scum like this. It goes beyond monetary reasons, of course, that's only the tip if the iceberg. But in all honesty, why should 2 people, 2 parents, be given a chance at anything after what they've done? It's beyond me.

• Some
    January 20, 2014 - 02:09

They knew this for 8 years . Those people most likely used those kids for a meal ticket and support their drug habit . I don't know why people are shocked because that is what addiction does .

• Cameron Francis
    January 20, 2014 - 01:16

And yet, the Liberal government and Valerie Docherty seem to think the cut of 15 Social workers last year was the right decision. "They work together as a team so that they can make sure that any child has more than one person that's aware of the situation," said Docherty, "so over the next two to six weeks we'll be transitioning all that knowledge within the team so that there won't be any direct impact on these children." Looks like that has worked out for these four children, and the countless other children who are living in similar conditions which we do not know about. How many more lives need to suffer before they realize that their cuts to Social workers have a detrimental effect on Island children. My heart goes out to these poor children, and hope they can restart their lives in the protection of Child and Family workers.

• ANONOMYOUS
    January 19, 2014 - 23:33

There are a lot of children living under tragic circumstances and nothing is done. The schools should report these incidents or people aware of abuse. MY SON WAS LEFT WITH AN ABUSIVE PARENT AND SCARED FOR LIFE. THE SYSTEM NEEDS TO REWRITE CHILD PROTECTION TO ALOW CHILDREN TO BE SAFE.

• sheri gaudet
    January 19, 2014 - 22:41

we do not have a very good system here in PEI social workers are nothing but a bunch of robots waiting for thier paychecks. Really should do thier jobs but are control by the system itself.

• Linda
    January 19, 2014 - 22:30

Sounds to me like Child Protective Services is equally responsible for the ongoing abuses to those children,.

• Disgusted
    January 19, 2014 - 22:29

This whole issue is completely disgusting.....the fact that these two people were permitted to keep those dear children as long as they were. What is wrong with Child and Family Services that they left these children with those useless, wastes of skin (called parents) so long. They should have been apprehended years ago. They may have been salvageable early on.....but they have been submitted to such abuse? One can only hope that someone very special gets to love and care for these children and teach them that not all people are like their worthless parents. Most animals behave better than these people and the best one can hope for is that "what goes around comes around". We can also hope that the courts and child protection services start protecting children and stop worring about the rights of useless drug addicted adults who should not be having children.

• Linda
    January 19, 2014 - 22:29

• unowho
    January 19, 2014 - 22:21

Man do those people in the system that run this service ever need a haul over as to how they run things plus a few others that were involved inthis case . A pure and outright disgrace how they handeled this one

• Stephen
    January 19, 2014 - 22:02

Well our system has failed these kids not to mention the loser parents. This happens so much on pei with children going back into unsafe and unfit situations. I feel sorry for these damaged children and the judge is as much to blame. What a horrible system.

• Amanda
    January 19, 2014 - 21:14

The "justice" system waited way too long!!! It's unacceptable That these children were in this home for that long!

• Crys
    January 19, 2014 - 20:56

Most of us know who they are if you read the papers...

• terrible
    January 19, 2014 - 20:47

and they ripped the DO NOT REMOVE TAGS FROM THE NEW MATTRESSES>>.horrific

• D.M.
    January 19, 2014 - 20:43

My heart goes out to the children and while we may feel annoyed that the violators are protected because the children are, those children have to live with the consequences of their parents' actions. I am glad that they are protected from we the curious. My thoughts and prayers are with those children.

• Disgusted
    January 19, 2014 - 20:43

WOW... As soon as ya read the bottom of the article when it says the house was raided and she has a pending trial, along with saying what drugs were found at the house, it's not hard to tell what bad mother they are talking about. This 'bad mother' puts on a front when she did visit her children under CAS supervision by posting the pics on her Facebook. what a phony person she is inside and out! First she is has lost her privilege to have animals and now she lost her kids for good. People like her are a disgrace to our Island!!! Animal cruelty and child abuse, 2 situations which are very strongly look down upon. My question to this in humane person, 'how do you live with yourself knowing what kind of sick monster you are?

• observer
      January 20, 2014 - 20:13

You sound like all of this is on the mother. I highly doubt it was the mother who had " a taser, a machete, police batons, mace, bear spray, dog spray and a bulletproof vest in the home with the children". Also, it was not the mother who fed feces to the child. I am by no means defending her, she is a piece of scum, but guaranteed the father was equally responsible. I don't even like to use the terms, "mother and father" when referring to these disgusting excuses for human beings. I just wonder where the extended family on both sides were in all of this. If my children ever harmed my grandchildren you can bet I would be loud and clear in doing whatever was necessary to keep them safe. I can only hope karma comes for both of these scumbags because we already know that the law is completely inadequate. They both should be fixed so that there is NO chance for anymore reproduction. They have done enough, thank you very much.

• Sick to my stomach
    January 19, 2014 - 20:38

I am absolutely repulsed from reading this. My heart is broken for these innocent children that continue to be abused by monster after monster rather than be protected, loved, and have the ability to feel safe and secure by the people who should make them feel that way. The abuse and neglect inflicted by the parents is one thing but for Protection they SHOULD HAVE received YEARS AGO by Child Protection is what makes me so sick to my stomach! They have been involved with this paticular family since 2005 and it is now 2014 and something permanent is ONLY being done. Shame on our entire system...& the courts. ANY JUDGE, should have done something long ago. If this was happening to ANY one of their children or family members children you can bet that none of those children would have been left in the care of those monsters people are calling "PARENTS" and the children wouldn't have had to suffer for months never minds YEARS!!! This makes people think twice about calling on parents when we feel the children's safety is in jeopardy because we have many doubts anything will get done for the children. I know numerous people that shouldn't have been blessed with the gift of children as they aren't fit to take care of themselves in the first place and have been called on, been "INVESTIGATED"and that's it...NOTHING done! This Island needs to crack down and protect our young!!! My prayers and love go out to these young children. May the fact they are still very young be a blessing and they are able to be given all that children should have ...LOVE & SAFETY and all of the horrible things they saw and have happen to them become very distant memories and eventually be erased from them forever.

• Mary
    January 19, 2014 - 20:23

9 Years really.What if those children were killed by the hands of there so called parents.Oh my gosh ,,Things would have happened yesterday.NOW try to fix these poor children,And the cycle continues.I PRAY NOT...I wish the children well.

• Islander
    January 19, 2014 - 20:17

WHY, why, WHY were these children left in the custody of the parents for so long? I really hope that they have the opportunity to live in loving, caring homes with positive role models.

• Aaron
    January 19, 2014 - 20:14

These parents do not deserve jail time, likely something they will serve on the weekends at sleepy hollow. They deserve to be held captive for nine years and served the same conditions they provide their own kids with. They should be starved, made to eat their own $@?!, and housed with multiple cats that are not cleaned up after! Our justice system is a joke for animals such as these!!! I pray for these children that some kind soul takes them in and makes them feel loved and does everything possible to help them overcome the repercussions of the terrible things that were done to them! May God bless those children.

• Derek
    January 19, 2014 - 19:48

This is just sick. All those people that have ever supported her should be ashamed. To put poor innocent children in a helpless situation such as this. This woman who everyone obviously knows should rot in a prison where she belongs. Social corruption and government corruption at its finest.

• Teresa
      January 22, 2014 - 02:58

The only solution for these 2 monsters is to have them fixed so that they can never bring any more poor babies into this world. I would volunteer for this job.

• MarcellaByrne
    January 19, 2014 - 19:44

I am sickened by this, I don't understand why children are continually put in harms way. If someone is reported abusing their pets then the pet is taken from them and in some cases they are never to own another pet. Why in the name of God are children considered less important then animals. Does the CFS not realize that these very children will be affected for life and most likely end up doing the same to their own because they were not taken out of the home early enough. I only hope these children get extensive counselling and are kept together as unit when given up for adoption.

• wise old owl
    January 19, 2014 - 19:33

Disturbing...I only pray that these children can break the cycle of their past...

• karen
    January 19, 2014 - 19:22

I can not believe that S.S. would let this happen to these kids . For the love of God they are to be there for the kids but by the look of it they did not do there job .. It is very sad for these kids to have to go through this and be scared for life and then S.S. give the kids back what were they thinking .. I pray them parents get the max but like always it will be just a slap on the hand and say u better do a better job next time this makes me sick to my stomach here ..

• carolyn gaudet
    January 19, 2014 - 19:21

will its about time the goverment officails and police made this facts now to the pulic .there to many famlies in the same spot and theres no need of it i pray for them children and hope the parents leave a great listen from this they have lots of time now to party notes

• i don't understand?!
    January 19, 2014 - 19:19

parents have too many rights. I wonder why the guardian doesn't publish the stories about when the judges send the kids back to the abusive parents? my friend is a social worker in nova scotia and she said judges almost always send kids home the first few times the social workers try and take them.

• gail
    January 19, 2014 - 19:15

people really need to do their job , its very clear that someone was not doing what they were suppose to be doing ..shame on the system.

• I can't help but wonder
    January 19, 2014 - 19:12

Would it not have been best for the children and society to get them out of this situation years ago? If parents are going to chronically put their addictions ahead of their kids, then the children are going to be better off in a loving home where they are put first? Obviously this family needed a lot more help...too late.....and so sad. Now these children are going to be at enormously high risk of developing life ruining addictions and mental health issues because of having to live in that situation. Lets all hope they got enough love that they will have the resilience to put it behind them.

• Adam
    January 19, 2014 - 19:11

what was there to even consider here.. As a parent this disgusts and infuriates me.. The parents names should be released so the public can give them what they really deserve

• Don Ditz
      January 20, 2014 - 13:20

They'll get whats coming to them when they get to where they're going

• Adam
    January 19, 2014 - 19:09

• amanda
    January 19, 2014 - 18:59

they arn't protecting the parents but rather the children....they have suffered enough in a community as small as p.e.i it will be hard to keep it quiet tho. bad enough to have to live thru it they are trying to help them get pasted it by keeping it as quiet as they can

• Marie
      January 20, 2014 - 08:02

The poor little boy was two years old when the first report was filed and SEVEN years later, you choose to protect him and his siblings. May God forgive you all for protecting the parents this long!!! I hope the children can grow passed this and may the scum rot in hell!!! Make an effort to find them a good loving home that won't treat them like income...if you can!

• caringgal
    January 19, 2014 - 18:52

If this situation was looked at in 2005,the youngest would be a new-born.What in the name of God would these "parents" be thinking of,and why would social services not take immediate action.How many more children are living if fear? What a flawed system!! There is no excuse for these children to have suffered.

• Melissa
    January 19, 2014 - 18:51

Sad that the kids are left for 8 years to be abused by these parents! CAS really needs to start cracking down.

• Pete
      January 20, 2014 - 06:43

FYI, PEI doesn't have CAS ... that is purely an Ontario agency. On PEI we have Child Protection/Youth Services (which I guess could be abbreviated as CP/YS)

• Cb
    January 19, 2014 - 18:39

Also ran an illegal cat breeding operation

• Shocked
    January 19, 2014 - 18:34

Personally, I believe something should have been done sooner. These unfit monsters had far to many chances with these kids. During the first sign of abuse someone should have stepped in to start the removal of these kids. These people are evil and cruel and I genuinely hope they stay in jail for the rest of their days. Monsters.

• Sickened
    January 19, 2014 - 18:30

This makes me sick to my stomach. I hope they both rot in jail so someone can take those beautiful children and show them what real love is. The offenders names should be slathered all over the place. Cruel and evil people.

• Jarrod
    January 19, 2014 - 16:25

Repugnant! And their identities are actually protected by the children they abuse. .

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2014 - 19:06

I personally know who this article is about as I'm sure others will too so it is only a matter of time before these people are outed!