More than 150 events planned for 2014

Ryan Ross

A New Year’s Eve bash in Charlottetown was just the beginning as P.E.I. celebrates the 150-year anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference.

CLICK HERE FOR A FULL LIST OF P.E.I. 2014 PROJECTS

The capital city will be home to many of the festivities, including at Confederation Landing, which will be turned into the celebration zone as one of the centerpieces of the province’s yearlong celebration.

From July 1 to Sept. 7, Confederation Landing, which was where the Fathers of Confederation came ashore in 1864, will be the site of daily activities that include arts and heritage exhibits, a lounge and culinary area, a children’s play zone, buskers and other family-friendly events.

The celebration zone will also feature cultural programming including music, theatre and dance.

One of the year’s biggest events will be Canada Day in Victoria Park where P.E.I. 2014 Inc. will take part in Charlotetown’s festivities and set up a pavilion complete with an 1864 sweet shop.

Families will also be able to take photos inviting people from across the country to come to P.E.I. for the 2014 celebrations.

Another major event is Founders’ Week, which runs from Aug. 28-Sept. 8 as a tribute to the Father of Confederation, and will see tall ships dock in Charlottetown and Summerside.

Founders’ Week will end with a major concert at the Charlottetown Event Grounds, with an act still to be announced.

While Charlottetown will be the focal point for the upcoming celebrations, it won’t be the only part of the province getting in on the festivities as more than 150 events and activities take place across P.E.I.

CLICK HERE FOR AN INTERACTIVE MAP OF LOCATIONS OF 2014 ACTIVITIES

To help pay for those events the provincial government provided $5 million to the P.E.I. 2014 Fund for grants ranging from $200,000 to $1,200.

The biggest recipient was a series of commemorative projects to be displayed in Charlottetown as a tribute to the Fathers of Confederation and unveiled in June.

Some of the bigger projects outside the city include the P.E.I. Association for Newcomers to Canada’s DiverseCity Festival. The group plans to expand to locations across the province in June and July.

Other fund recipients include an extended summer season for the King’s Playhouse in Georgetown and an expanded Tyne Valley Oyster Festival that will feature a concert with Allan Doyle from Great Big Sea, Jimmy Rankin, Meaghan Blanchard, Gordie MacKeeman and his Rythym Boys, and a headliner still to be announced.

The year will wrap up with a grand finale New Year’s Eve celebration in Summerside at Credit Union place with a look back at the year.

Organizations: Confederation Landing, P.E.I. Association for Newcomers, Great Big Sea Credit Union

Geographic location: Charlottetown, P.E.I., Summerside Victoria Park Canada Georgetown Tyne Valley

Comments

Comments

• Scarlett1942
    January 02, 2014 - 09:59

Nice to have so many events for this year but costs are too great for this poor province with people not having fuel for these cold days and insufficient nutritious food to consume. Nice to party but not to the extremes of these events. Government and municipal councillors are too extravagant with OUR money.

• Question
    January 01, 2014 - 20:00

Were these all approved through the new "MARKETING CONSULTING" business now run by a couple of professors and a former Deputy Minister? We asked how to apply and were told we needed their approval. If yes, all I can say is "Scandalous"!

• A Great Investment for PEI
    January 01, 2014 - 18:45

I am looking forward to a year of prosperity and celebration in PEI. There will be a, boom in economic activity, with more visitors coming to the island, eating in local restaurants, staying on local accommodations, buying local products, enjoying our culture and people. Tourism PEI, Meetings Conventions PEI, local accommodations are saying Bookings are up for 2014. There will be a tone of free publicity for PEI, a lot of chatter on social media and a lot of excitement. This is a good investment. with a boom in economic activity, it means, there will be more jobs and more, money. Small business well benefit, farmers will benefit, artists and craft producers well benefit. Further, some of the money is coming from the federal government, from heritage and culture Canada to promote and celebrate or rich history and culture. keep positive PEI, an influx of visitors spending their money here in PEI is a good thing.

• candrayo
    January 01, 2014 - 15:27

Lesson from this…..Maybe I should just say the hell with it and spend spend spend…I have tons of credit and can rack up a nice little bill and then claim my "mental illness" is to blame and file bankruptcy because I am unable to afford to repay it….and let other's suffer the consequences. I know the system can be worked..so why the hell am I not taking part in the corrupt system? I mean if you can't beat em…might as well join em right! NOT…..even I know how to manage my money under duress and know that I am far better off than a whole hell of a lot of other people…and I know to spend only what I can afford…what the hell is GOVERNMENTS EXCUSE??????? Can we please get a lesson on NEEDS vs WANTS for GOVERNMENT PLEASE!!!

• huh
      January 01, 2014 - 16:28

Wow! Don't hurt yourself! You're all riled up!

• candrayo
    January 01, 2014 - 15:15

I am pretty sure we owe enough money as it is…now we are going to owe more so we can have a party? We should not be spending a cent on such ridiculous things! What a great leader we have..no wonder this Island is going down the hole! Honestly how are people okay with this kind of BS?????????????????????????? What a waste of effort it is to try and talk sense into people these days where money is concerned…as long as the INDIVIDUAL gets what they want..who gives a crap about how it affects the COMMUNITY!!! Right GHIZ???

• Just sayin
    January 01, 2014 - 12:28

What a colossal waste of money. PEI 2014 is a sham.

• Juanita Arsenault
    January 01, 2014 - 11:22

I hope there are no more outdoor concerts in the winter. I just don't get that concept when we have so many indoor venues that could be used where families could enjoy the music and stay warm. The same concept was used in 2000 and it was actually colder than it was last night. Maybe someone can explain it to me.